ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BOB DYLAN - Modern Times Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
31st August 2006 06:26 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

They are great. The e.p. is spectacular. I loved the black Keys right away, and the more time goes by I keep digging them so much!

I still regard "10am Automatic" as one of the coolest f'in songs to come out in a f'in long time

would make for a killer Stones song...
ahhh man, if only Keith & Woodrow could still bring it like that....
31st August 2006 06:44 PM
gotdablouse At the risk of singing against the choir, I listened to MT a couple of times and I'm not terribly impressed, the music is pretty pedestrian, certainly none of the melodic or rythmic variety of any Stones album, if the Stones came out with something like this everyone would be appalled. I much prefer "Oh Mercy".

Having said that the lyrics are of course extraordinary and there's really no point comparing them to Mick's atrocious output since...hum...Exile, except for a few marvellous lyrics on a couple of songs on Wandering Spirit. ABB is a disgrace in that respect with most of the songs being about his di*k.
31st August 2006 07:15 PM
Martha I've only listened to it 3 times now (on XM40's Deep Tracks).

Once I get it in hand and on the stereo...I'll need to take time with it...

So I don't really know what I think of it yet. Needs many quiet listenings, for me anyway.

Your comments are appreciated!

:-)
31st August 2006 08:02 PM
gimmekeef Thunder on Mountain?....c'mon people havent we heard Johnny B Goode covers enough?...I dont get the hype for this....
31st August 2006 09:01 PM
Madafaka Hi my pals of "ROCKS OFF - Bob Dylan Msg Board"!

I wanna know if uncle Bob played some live tunes of his new cd.
Thanks!
31st August 2006 09:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Thunder on Mountain?....c'mon people havent we heard Johnny B Goode covers enough?...I dont get the hype for this....

The lyrics perhaps?

(reminds me just as much of Jerry lee lewis actually)

anyway - dont the Stones make music which is a throwback to old rockn roll and R&B as well?
[Edited by Gazza]
31st August 2006 09:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Hi my pals of "ROCKS OFF - Bob Dylan Msg Board"!

I wanna know if uncle Bob played some live tunes of his new cd.
Thanks!

Not yet. I'd imagine he'll wait until the October/November leg of his tour
31st August 2006 09:34 PM
Madafaka Thank you Gazza! One more question (surely, not the last one)
How much the most expensive ticket? Like RS, or cheaper?
Thanks!
31st August 2006 09:53 PM
Soldatti Workingman's Blues 2 is my favorite song so far.
31st August 2006 10:16 PM
lotsajizz keep it goin'!!

31st August 2006 10:24 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Thank you Gazza! One more question (surely, not the last one)
How much the most expensive ticket? Like RS, or cheaper?
Thanks!

Much cheaper. Just got best ticket available for Detroit for $69.50 -Cheapest$29.00
31st August 2006 11:00 PM
Nasty Habits Yeah, that Chuck Berry influenced music is just trash.

I like this:

"I've been in a brawl
and I'm feelin the wall
I'm goin' away baby
I won't be back 'til fall."

Genius!

1st September 2006 03:06 AM
Martha
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Yeah, that Chuck Berry influenced music is just trash.

I like this:

"I've been in a brawl
and I'm feelin the wall
I'm goin' away baby
I won't be back 'til fall."

Genius!

:-)

Hey Nasty!
1st September 2006 03:33 AM
Lazy Bones Rochester, NY: 30 August 06 (M&A), now on Dime...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=110071
1st September 2006 04:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
nectarines are in season and tasty up here!

I'm eating an apple. Yum!
1st September 2006 05:56 AM
lotsajizz I'm gonna raise me an army...real sons of bitches, gonna get 'em from the orphanages....

that boy can rhyme!!!

1st September 2006 05:56 AM
lotsajizz I'm gonna raise me an army...real sons of bitches, gonna get 'em from the orphanages....

that boy can rhyme!!!

1st September 2006 06:36 AM
Nasty Habits Good morning, Rocks Off!

In the soft light of morning I'll follow you with my eyes
Through countries and kingdoms and temples of Stone
beyond the horizon right down to the bone

1st September 2006 07:01 AM
Jair I didnt buy, I will not, I dont wanna talk about it, I dont wanna hear about!!!

Gazza, Geezz, pleezz!
Could you delete this thread immediately?

Thanks!
(And when I'm back I dont wanna see it again, huh?)
[Edited by Jair]
1st September 2006 07:10 AM
Jair
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
tough tittie Jair

Sorry, i dont understand Portuguese

Next time you wanna talk, please send me a FAX, I'll never go back to this thread.
In fact, I hope Gazza delete it, as I asked.

So, have a good day.

1st September 2006 07:20 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Jair wrote:

Sorry, i dont understand Portuguese

Next time you wanna talk, please send me a FAX, I'll never go back to this thread.
In fact, I hope Gazza delete it, as I asked.

So, have a good day.

"If there's an original thought out there I could sure stand it right now!"

1st September 2006 07:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jair wrote:
I didnt buy, I will not, I dont wanna talk about it, I dont wanna hear about!!!

Gazza, Geezz, pleezz!
Could you delete this thread immediately?

Thanks!
(And when I'm back I dont wanna see it again, huh?)

Bobby says :

"Fuck you, Jair, will ya?"
1st September 2006 07:28 AM
Nellcote This thread has JB banning himself for one day written all over it.
1st September 2006 07:36 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
This thread has JB banning himself for one day written all over it.

"They got mystery written all over their forehead/They kill babies in the crib and say only the good die young"

1st September 2006 07:40 AM
Gazza

Dylan's latest record cements comeback
BY BEN WENER
ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Like any great new Bob Dylan album, "Modern Times," released Tuesday, will be discussed and deconstructed and probably debunked once or twice from now until the decade expires.

Which, come to think of it, will probably be when Dylan issues his next batch of thorny romances and inadvertent prophesies wrapped in richly regressive music that sounds transported from the '50s, or is it the '40s? The '30s? It's hard to tell anymore. Here it's darkened, dampened rockabilly, now it's snake-crawlin', hip-shake blues, then suddenly it's gentle country-folk, Hawaiian breeze, Cole Porter sway.

It's all very then, yet it's entirely now, a series of warm, retro-perfect grooves from a grizzled, somewhat skeptical troubadour who loathes the sound of modern records (including his own) yet can't stop thinking 'bout Alicia Keys in the opening stanzas of his rockin' 'n' reelin' leadoff cut, "Thunder on the Mountain."

But the feel of his music likely has more to do with the skills and sympathy of his trusty touring band than with the master's writing, which I suspect is presented to his players in basic form. Surely they can work sly wonders out of any figures he throws their way. The curious thing, then, is just how little he's delivering, and how infrequently it arrives.

"How little," I should clarify, refers to quantity, not quality. Five years after his brilliant 9/11 release, the frighteningly (if coincidentally) astute "Love and Theft," "Modern Times" ushers in all of 10 new gems for Dylanologists to pore over like rare jewels. Yet all of them are as striking and thought-provoking and perhaps self-revelatory (no one can ever be sure about that) as anything from its immediate predecessors, including 1997's Grammy-grabbing "Time Out of Mind."

Had they arrived in 2002 or 2003, even armchair critics would've hollered fawning proclamations praising the reinvigorated return of the '60s firebrand. Piece after piece would exalt the reluctant seer whose surrealistic poetry -- especially on new epics like "Workingman's Blues" and the foreboding "Ain't Talkin' " and the flooding of hard rain on "The Levee's Gonna Break" -- could still shake the world to its core if anyone other than the remains of his generation were really paying attention. Or if Dylan actually wanted to play the role of cultural revolutionary he's so often been saddled with.

Instead, a towering creativity that once was so mercurial (and, thus, unpredictable) now seems to poke along at a snail's pace, placing gaps between monumental albums that kills any comeback momentum and keeps him trapped in his perpetually touring ivory tower.

True, Dylan is hardly slowing down as he pushes into his elder years -- at 65, he's still a tireless road warrior, making most whippersnappers look lazy by comparison. Along the way, he has penned cryptic autobiographies, consented to documentary cameras, hosted a satellite radio show and pretty much emptied his vaults.

But it's as if he's become more cautious about his songwriting, careful not to overtax his unparalleled abilities nor permit stray runts to permeate what is arguably the most accomplished (if at times uneven) songbook in rock history.

Consider his recent discography: Since 1990's "Under the Red Sky," one of several much-maligned works from a decade that forsook his genius, Columbia has issued two collections of folk covers; seven volumes of "The Bootleg Series"; a redundant "Unplugged" set; innumerable repackaged retrospectives; and all of three discs of new material, including "Modern Times."

This from a man who once made a habit of putting out something new annually. That gives the appearance that he's stagnating, filling the void with concerts in which he garbles oldies until they're unrecognizable.

But I think just the opposite is true. I don't think he lacks for inspiration. I just figure that 40 years later, he's learned how to draw from his muse only when necessary, wielding his powerful wit and scathing humor carefully.

Which is why just about every line of "Modern Times" resonates. While every riff and melodic doodle threatens to drag him deeper into the past, every seemingly tossed-off but undoubtedly delicately constructed lyric pushes further into the future.

His love and anti-love songs here -- the windswept "Beyond the Horizon," the stinging "Somebody Baby," the gorgeous "Spirit on the Water," in which his nasality takes on the tone of a megaphone -- are plaints like few can conjure. They're the sound of a wizened man who has learned of love's pitfalls the hard way, who may be wary of feminine wiles yet still feels lust and pain in his heart as palpably as when his virility was at its fullest.

As for deducing social statements from an album cheekily titled "Modern Times," well, that's always a tricky game to play; whatever meaning you determine he'll flatly refuse. More than once he appears to have his finger on the pulse of the political world, offering biting commentary, even a moral or two. And, sure, it'd be hard to imagine he'd have written "The Levee's Gonna Break" without having witnessed Katrina's damage.

But, as he always has, he couches it all expertly, so that you can't pinpoint what's now and what's then and what's to come -- so that years from now these songs will seem as pertinent as they do now.

He doesn't get called the greatest American songwriter for nothing, you know.

1st September 2006 07:43 AM
Nellcote In addition to the one day banning, I think only proper that RO admin determine the day, as well as the time for his re-entry. Additionally, he should have to enjoy Modern Times with the rest of us. We could quiz him on it at upcoming greeting sessions during the ABB fall tour.
1st September 2006 08:01 AM
lotsajizz an excellent suggestion....hey Nelly, have you seen how far Sox tik prices have dropped on stubhub? some games are $5 tiks!!!

Humiliation

1st September 2006 08:08 AM
Nellcote I decided to wear my Sox shirt to work today.
I am, in the words of Pete Carroll "pumped & jacked"
at the one game winning streak we've managed to amass..
Cora Homah
Kapler catch
Freddy Kruger gives us three
Papelbon is metal
Today is a new day!
I guess I'm having another weed flashback, which occurs every now & then...however, the lady has not sung yet....
1st September 2006 08:28 AM
PartyDoll MEG
Was your apple good, Gazza?

1st September 2006 08:39 AM
PartyDoll MEG "Well, I get up in the dawn and I go down and lay in the shade
I get up in the dawn and I go down and lay in the shade
I ain't nobody's house boy, I ain't nobody's well trained maid

I'm flat out spent, this woman been drivin' me to tears
I'm flat out spent, this woman she been drivin' me to tears
This woman so crazy, I swear I ain't gonna touch another one for years

Well, the warm weather's comin' and the buds are on the vine
The warm weather's comin', the buds are on the vine
Ain't nothing so depressing as trying to satisfy this woman of mine " (Rollin' and Tumblin')

Guess I'd better get some work done

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)