ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BOB DYLAN - Modern Times Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
6th September 2006 01:08 PM
paddy Nasty Habits wrote:
Paddy - are you saying that Modern Times is worse than:

Saved......................definitely
Empire Burlesque.............definitely....stop it
Down in the Groove.............in the balance
Self Portrait........you must be fucking joking this is great
Traveling Wilburys #3.........probably not
Real Live.....yes if only for Tangled
Budakon...........definitely
Knocked Out Loaded.....at the moment....yes

6th September 2006 01:12 PM
paddy
[Edited by paddy]
6th September 2006 01:15 PM
paddy all those you mention have songs i like on them-Modern times doesn't.....as yet
6th September 2006 01:22 PM
Saint Sway I like JB almost as much as I like Bob Dylan
6th September 2006 01:22 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I like JB almost as much as I like Bob Dylan

and thats a lot!!!!
6th September 2006 01:23 PM
Saint Sway thanks again Gazza for allowing me to bypass the 90-second post rule

you are a true saint
6th September 2006 01:38 PM
Nasty Habits For the most part Under the Red Sky is a pretty entertaining record although it is a horrible production job, done by one Mr. Don Was who has helped ruin/mollycoddle a bunch of other dopes I could name by name by giving them the same boring ass sound as sinks the good parts of this album. I would extend Gazza's good song list to Cat's in the Well, God Knows, and, TV Talkin' Song, although the outtake version is waaaaaaay better.

But if I'm gonna give UtRS a pass for having good songs but being a trainwreck recording then I should probably take Saved off the list, since there's loads of good songs on that record that were just made wrong.

I will never understand how anyone can love Real Live. Except, yes, the Tangled Up in Blue rewrite. I guess I've not heard the proper live shows from '84. But as melodically brilliant and explosive as Taylor was with the Stones, he, for me, does nothing for Dylan's songbook, although I like his work on Infidels. Would love be proven wrong on this point, but it would take my own ears to do it.

Anyway, I'm guessing that listening to Modern Times for you must be like listening to Self Portrait for me. Try as I may, and despite the fact that it has a growing cult of appreciators, I cannot find an in to this record. I think I like about one song a side.

The funny thing is is that it probably, in terms of song structures and forms, bears more resemblence to Modern Times than almost any other Dylan catalog item.

6th September 2006 02:10 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
Ok! I went to photobucket....see lots and lots of photos :-) but do not know how to "scan" or even understand what that word means. I do not grasp computer language. Computer language relates to nothing in my experience....the words are very confusing to me ( there is no "off" or "on" for example)....I have to guess a lot. I have no one to ask (right here I mean) so I am on my own with this......

:-)

you've got PM...
6th September 2006 02:13 PM
Martha Me?!?

I have a PM?!

Wow!

Must go checky.........
6th September 2006 02:56 PM
Egbert BoB dYlAn
6th September 2006 02:56 PM
Egbert bOb DyLaN
6th September 2006 02:57 PM
Egbert BOB DYLAN
Egbert bob dylan
Egbert BOB dylan
6th September 2006 02:58 PM
Egbert bob DYLAN
6th September 2006 03:46 PM
PartyDoll MEG From MTV News:
Sorry, Jessica: Billboard's #1 Belongs To Bob Dylan
09.06.2006 12:08 PM EDT

Young Dro, Method Man, the Roots score top-10 albums-chart debuts.

Talk about an upset.

Next week's Billboard albums chart is about who finished fifth as much as who claims the #1 spot. A chart-topping debut has eluded Jessica Simpson once again, as sales of the singer/actress' fifth album, A Public Affair, came in at just under 101,000. Meanwhile, Bob Dylan proved that an illustrious career is often accompanied by a loyal fanbase.

SoundScan reported first-week sales for the iconic singer/songwriter's first studio LP in five years, Modern Times, at nearly 192,000 — outselling his nearest challenger by more than 74,000 copies. It's the first time in 30 years that Dylan has held the top spot — he previously reached #1 with 1974's Planet Waves, 1975's Blood on the Tracks and 1976's Desire.

Simpson, who debuts at #5 on the chart with 101,000 sales, can look on the bright side: While A Public Affair didn't surpass opening-week sales of 2001's Irresistible (which bowed at #6 with over 119,000 scans) or 2004's Rejoyce: The Christmas Album (152,000 copies sold to debut at #16), the record did chart higher than any of the singer's previous outings — In This Skin bowed at #10 in 2003, while 1999's Sweet Kisses claimed the #65 spot.

It was a debut-heavy week for the Billboard 200, with a total of 19 fresh releases making the cut and 12 of those breaking into the top 50. Five new LPs — including Dylan's and Simpson's — cracked the top 10.

Sandwiched between last week's #1 — Danity Kane's self-titled debut, which slips to #2 with more than 117,000 sales — and Christina Aguilera's Back to Basics — down one to #4 with 101,000 units sold — is T.I. protégé Young Dro, who opens at #3 with his Best Thang Smokin'. The latest release from Method Man, 4:21 ... The Day After, debuts at #8 on the chart with 62,000 sales, while the Roots' Game Theory bows at #9 with 61,000 first-week scans.

Two soundtracks and one chart veteran round out the top 10, with "The Cheetah Girls 2" moving another 80,000 units for the #6 spot, Outkast's Idlewild scoring 78,000-plus scans for #7 and Nickelback's All the Right Reasons selling 60,000 copies to sit at #10 during its 48th week on the chart.

Too Short's Blow the Whistle comes in at #14 with close to 40,000 scans. Ray LaMontagne's Till the Sun Turns Black opens at #28 with 28,000 in sales, followed at #30 by Crossfade's Falling Away, which sold just 300 fewer copies. Hatebreed's Supremacy takes the #31 spot with more than 27,000 sales, while Tego Calderón's The Underdog/ El Subestimado claims #43 with 21,000-plus copies sold. Pete Yorn's Nightcrawler finishes at #50 with 20,000 scans, and Paula DeAnda's self-titled inaugural offering claims #54 with 18,000 units snatched up.

Beenie Man's Undisputed opens at #65 with 15,000 sales, Old Crow Medicine Show's Big Iron World occupies the #125 spot with more than 7,000 scans, and Dream Theater's Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour Live with the Octavarium Orchestra follows at #134 with nearly 7,000 copies sold.

But the week's biggest non-debut leap goes to James Blunt's Back to Bedlam, which soars from #59 all the way to #17, probably helped by his strong showing at last week's VMAs (see "Underdog Night At The VMAs: Panic, Gnarls, Blunt, Chamillionaire Win Big").
6th September 2006 04:06 PM
PartyDoll MEG From Billboard:

Dylan Earns First No. 1 Album Since 1976
Bob Dylan

September 06, 2006, 11:15 AM ET

Katie Hasty, N.Y.
For the first time in 30 years, Bob Dylan tops The Billboard 200 with "Modern Times." Not only is it the legendary songwriter's first album to reach the throne since "Desire" in 1976, it's also his highest debuting album and his best sales week since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data in 1991. The Columbia set moved 192,000 copies in the United States in its first week.

"Modern Times" is Dylan's third consecutive top 10 studio set, following 1997's "Time Out of Mind" and 2001's "Love & Theft." Aside from "Desire" and "Modern Times," only two other Dylan albums assumed the plateau on the chart: 1974's "Planet Waves" and the 1975 classic "Blood on the Tracks."

After crowning The Billboard 200 last week, Danity Kane slips to No. 2 with 117,000 copies, a sales hit of 50%.

Young Dro's major label debut, "Best Thang Smokin'," bows at No. 3 with 104,000. With help from his smash hit "Shoulder Lean" (featuring T.I.), the Grand Hustle/Atlantic release also overtakes OutKast's soundtrack to "Idlewild" (LaFace) at No. 1 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.

Christina Aguilera's RCA album "Back to Basics" slips 3-4 on the big chart with 101,000, a sales decline of 25%. Jessica Simpson's "A Public Affair" (Epic) enters the chart at No. 5, selling only a couple hundred albums fewer than "Back to Basics" with 101,000. Her last album, 2003's "In This Skin," originally peaked at No. 10 but hit No. 2 after a 2004 re-release.

The Disney soundtrack to "The Cheetah Girls 2" falls 5-6 with 80,000 (-1%) while "Idlewild" also slips, moving 2-7 with 78,000 (-60%).

Method Man scores his fifth consecutive top 10 debut, as "4:21 ... The Day After" (Def Jam) lands at No. 8 with 62,000 units. Another Def Jam effort follows at No. 9 in the form of the Roots' "Game Theory," which moved 61,000.

In its 48th week on the chart, Nickelback's "All the Right Reasons" (Roadrunner) re-enters the top tier, moving 12-10 with 60,000.

Other big debuts this week include Too Short's Jive release "Blow the Whistle" (No. 14, 40,000), Ray Lamontagne's sophomore RCA set, "Till the Sun Turns Black" (No. 28, 28,000), Crossfade's sophomore Columbia effort, "Falling Away" (No. 30, 28,000) and Hatebreed's first Roadrunner album, "Supremacy" (No. 31, 27,000).

The Toby Keith-led "Broken Bridges" soundtrack, released on his Show Dog label, opens at No. 36, followed by the Atlantic debut of reggaeton star Tego Calderon, "The Underdog/El Subestimado," at No. 43. Singer/songwriter Pete Yorn bows at a disappointing No. 50 with the Columbia album "Nightcrawler"; its predecessor, 2003's "Day I Forgot," debuted at No. 18.

Indie veteran M. Ward makes his Billboard 200 debut with the Merge album "Post-War" at No. 146. The set opened last week at No. 21 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart but enjoyed a 100% sales increase in its second week at nearly 5,800 copies.

At 9.39 million units, overall CD sales are down 1.5% from last week's count and down 10% compared to the same week a year ago. Sales for 2006 are down 6% compared to 2005 at 354 million units.
6th September 2006 04:10 PM
PartyDoll MEG OK...
That is all the Dylan #1 articles I could find....

Well, not really ..we have articles from Israel, New Zealand, Greece, Ottawa, etc., etc.....-LOL
6th September 2006 04:16 PM
Lazy Bones Dylan, Kreviazuk shake up charts

By JOHN WILLIAMS
Senior Editor, JAM! Showbiz

Bob Dylan's "Modern Times" spends time at No. 1.
A legendary musician and a Winnipeg singer-songwriter debuted atop the Canadian album charts this week.

Bob Dylan's "Modern Times" premiered at No. 1 on the SoundScan Canada retail album chart this week, on sales of more than 17,000 copies, followed by Chantal Kreviazuk's "Ghost Stories," which came in at No. 2 on sales of over 12,000 copies.

Dylan's previous album, "Love and Theft," debuted at No. 3 back in September of 2001, while Kreviazuk managed to beat out her previous No. 5 peak of 1999's "Colour Moving and Still."

Dylan also grabbed the No. 1 spot south of the border, selling 192,000 copies of "Modern Times" in the U.S., according to Billboard.com. It marks the first time a Dylan album has topped the U.S. charts since "Desire" hit the top spot in 1976.

Back in Canada, the top two debuts pushed Alexisonfire's "Crisis" (14,600) down to third, knocking it out of No. 1 after one week.

Elsewhere, James Blunt's "Back To Bedlam" jumped four spots to No. 4, Crazy Frog's "More Crazy Hits" fell two notches to No. 5, and Jessica Simpson's "A Public Affair" checked in at No. 6.

Christina Aguilera's ""Back to Basics" had a rough third week, sinking five positions down to No. 7, the compilation "NOW 11" debuted at No. 8, and the Dixie Chicks' "Taking the Long Way" and Nelly Furtado's "Loose" were fit to be tied at No. 9.

Other notable debuts in the top 50 included Method Man's "4:21... The Day After" at No. 14, The Roots' "Game Theory" at No. 27, Theresa Sokyrka's "Something is Expected" at No. 29, and The Dears' "Gang of Losers" at No. 48.

In the U.S., Danity Kane's self-titled debut placed second, followed by Young Dro's "Best Thang Smokin'" in third, Christina Aguilera in fourth, and Jessica Simpson in fifth.

6th September 2006 06:19 PM
Madafaka 55 posts to go!
6th September 2006 06:21 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
55 posts to go!

do not gloat! Admit it - you will miss JB for a day
6th September 2006 06:22 PM
Saint Sway I'll say it again:

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE JB BANNED FOR A DAY
6th September 2006 06:30 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Danity Kane has been humiliated!
6th September 2006 06:56 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Danity Kane has been humiliated!

So has Jessica!!!
6th September 2006 07:13 PM
paddy Bob's latest radio show
the Bible

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6qinlp
6th September 2006 07:16 PM
Kilroy Bob @ #1, I feel young again. Thank you.
[Edited by Kilroy]
6th September 2006 07:54 PM
lotsajizz the new album is not as deserving of #1 status as his two previous

6th September 2006 08:05 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Danity Kane has been humiliated!
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
So has Jessica!!!

RIAA reports Simpson's latest disc has been certified "Lead".
6th September 2006 08:54 PM
Martha
Bob Dylan's Album Debuts at No. 1 for First Time in 30 Years

By Don Jeffrey

Sept. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Bob Dylan has scored his first No. 1 album in 30 years.

Dylan's latest release, ``Modern Times,'' sold 192,000 copies in the U.S. in its first week in stores, according to market researcher Nielsen SoundScan, which tracks music sales. His last No. 1 album was ``Desire'' in 1976.

The new recording may lift market share at New York-based Columbia Records, the label owned by Sony BMG Music Entertainment, and adds to the almost 100 million albums Dylan has sold in a career that spans more than 40 years. Dylan's recent popularity has been aided by his appearance in Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod advertising campaign and his work hosting a weekly satellite radio program.

Dylan's debut outsold new albums this week from actress and reality television star Jessica Simpson and rappers Young Dro and Method Man. The album also opened at No. 1 in several other countries, including Australia, Norway, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Denmark and Switzerland, Columbia said in a statement.

Since May, Dylan has been the host of a quirky weekly themed radio program, ``Theme Time Radio Hour,'' for XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. The show is drawing more than 1.7 million listeners a week, according to XM. In his TV ad for Apple's iTunes Music Store and the iPod music player, he sings a song, ``Someday Baby,'' from the new album.

Sony BMG Music Entertainment is a joint venture of Sony Corp. of Tokyo and closely held Bertelsmann AG of Guetersloh, Germany. For the six months that ended June 30, Sony BMG's market share of new albums had fallen to 26 percent from 28.3 percent a year earlier, Nielsen SoundScan said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Don Jeffrey in New York at [email protected]
Last Updated: September 6, 2006 18:48 EDT

6th September 2006 09:15 PM
PartyDoll MEG Ya know I really don't want this thread to get to 500. This has been way to much fun for us Dylan fanatics

I guess we could just take over the other 3 threads that have been started and then we should be able to explore all the Dylan material out there we've missed
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)