ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BOB DYLAN - Modern Times Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
5th September 2006 09:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
And I am sure you will bring the official tally to this thread as soon as possible, right Soldatti?!!!

Count with it.
5th September 2006 09:20 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Incredible achievement in this day and age for a guy of 65 who's not exactly up there with the Eagles, etc when it comes to record sales and middle of the road appeal.

It'll only be for one week I'm sure as Beyonce will knock it off the top next week, but Dylan entering the US charts with a #1 album after 30 years is not something I'd ever have imagined I'd see

I hope The Stones are paying attention. You get a number one record, by not trying to get a number one record. At least when you're a older musician, and not some dumbass wearing a white belt and spiking the hair on the back of your head!
5th September 2006 09:56 PM
glencar
quote:
Martha wrote:
We're IN!

4 Tickets secured!!!!!

TICKETS Face value: $55.00

added Ass-rape fees: $10.05

Still a bargain!

My 75 year old Mother is coming out from OH for her first ever Bob show!!!!

:-)

Thanks for all those good vibes jb!

ROTFLOL!!!!

You are a good friend & a good daughter! Enjoy the show!
6th September 2006 07:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

I hope The Stones are paying attention. You get a number one record, by not trying to get a number one record. At least when you're a older musician, and not some dumbass wearing a white belt and spiking the hair on the back of your head!

For the Stones to have failed to get to #1 with their first album of new material in 8 years and on the back of great advance reviews as well as the fact that its release coincided with a tour where they still managed to shift millions of tickets even at inflated prices defies belief.
6th September 2006 08:22 AM
Schleisher Hits Daily Double has Bob at #1. And to make everyone smile, Jessica Simpson only sold about 85-95k, hahahaaha
6th September 2006 08:38 AM
Nellcote JB, this thread is "Knockin on Heaven's Door"....
BTW, Imus admits he's obsessed with MT, he plays it
during his show every outro to commercial...
6th September 2006 08:41 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
JB, this thread is "Knockin on Heaven's Door"....
BTW, Imus admits he's obsessed with MT, he plays it
during his show every outro to commercial...

Heck Nellcote! Don't know who Imus is, but I think I like him. He must have good taste like us!!!
6th September 2006 09:17 AM
Nasty Habits Yesterday I was walking down an alley after spending about three hours wrapping the weekend's ebay packages, and I heard the strains of "Nettie Moore" coming out of a guy's jeep. He'd parked it in the middle of the alley and was working on it listening to Modern Times, which he was blasting for the whole neighborhood. A very cool moment.

It's an amazing thing that this album is doing so well and that the voices of these long dead souls are getting conjured up along with their crumbling tomb tunes. Bob Dylan rules.

And, hey, the sun is shinin' and this thread keeps picking up speed!

6th September 2006 09:20 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Its been overlooked by some that he..er..CAN'T actually 'ban' himself

Can't an exception be made.....just this once Gary?

xxxxxoooooxxxxx,
MM
6th September 2006 09:24 AM
Nasty Habits Maybe he's turning himself in for voluntary banning, but actual ban will have to be performed by an administrator.
6th September 2006 09:28 AM
Martha "but Dylan entering the US charts with a #1 album after 30 years is not something I'd ever have imagined I'd see"

Smashing news! Music to my ears!

"the world has gone black before my eyes"....

6th September 2006 09:47 AM
paddy i am a Dylan nut,seen him well over 100 times in concert in more than a dozen countries.i cannot get my head round any of the new songs.

in fact i would say (so far) this is the worst album he has ever done by a country mile.

i hope my views will change but i have put Modern Times away for a while as it is getting on my nerves.
6th September 2006 09:49 AM
paddy my favourites by the way,are.........

bringing it all back home
highway 61 revisited
blonde on blonde
john wesley harding
basement tapes
6th September 2006 09:57 AM
Nasty Habits Paddy - are you saying that Modern Times is worse than:

Saved
Empire Burlesque
Down in the Groove
Self Portrait
Traveling Wilburys #3
Real Live
Budakon
Knocked Out Loaded

just to list eight thoroughly shit-tie albums off the top of my head?

Talk about something I don't hear.

Clearly, there is filler on Modern Times - with the exception of a couple funny lines I still don't get Levee at all, and despite a gorgeous opening Beyond the Horizon is completely in the way for me, but that still leaves a thoroughly fascinating album to go through.

You really are annoyed by Deal Goes Down?

Wow.

Of course, I decided I finally liked Someday Baby when I saw it on its iTunes commercial, where it sounds better than it does on the record, so what do I know?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
6th September 2006 10:16 AM
Lazy Bones ...was just viewing last night's set in Fort Wayne - thanks to Sir Pagel. And I can't help but feel for the people who had tickets to these shows well-before the release of Modern Times, and have yet to see a debut of any track even a week after it's release.

Perhaps to promote the Fall leg..?
6th September 2006 10:26 AM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
...was just viewing last night's set in Fort Wayne - thanks to Sir Pagel. And I can't help but feel for the people who had tickets to these shows well-before the release of Modern Times, and have yet to see a debut of any track even a week after it's release.

Perhaps to promote the Fall leg..?

IF however Bob pulls a new one out for the last show ( or second to last show) which we are attending....WHAT do I do?!

Is there a remedy I need to take ahead of time just in case.

Nasty I still LOVE Ain't Talkin' and Beyond the Horizon....I like it all but for different reasons. Some songs are sheer beauty some rock my soul...others make me giggle and wiggle....Bob never bores me that's for certain!

Bob's Theme Time Radio show (subject: The Bible) is goin' on right NOW!

6th September 2006 10:43 AM
Martha Right now..Bob's spinning The Melodians-Rivers of Babylon.
6th September 2006 10:44 AM
Martha Anyone listenin'?

Besides jb I mean.
6th September 2006 10:50 AM
Martha Ok, I got the ROLLING STONE..Bob's cover is LIFE SIZE!!!! Stunning shot!

And....page 74 has another GREAT black and white shot of Bob I want to use as my avatar, but don't know how to go about getting it.

Can anyone with technical saavy help me out...Lazy???!!!

6th September 2006 10:52 AM
PartyDoll MEG Sorry Soldatti! Just had to do it!!

Bob Dylan's Modern Times Debuts At #1 On Billboard Chart
Wednesday September 6, 9:37 am ET
Album Marks Artist's Return To Top Spot After 30 Years

NEW YORK, Sept. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Bob Dylan's new album, Modern Times, has debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart, making this the artist's first album to hit the top of that chart in 30 years. This 30-year span between #1 albums - Desire hit the top spot in 1976 -- is the longest of any living recording artist. Modern Times has sold more than 192,000 copies in the United States since its release, marking the biggest such sales period for a Bob Dylan album in the 15 year history of SoundScan.
Source: Columbia Records

Fan response was equally as impressive internationally, with Modern Times debuting at #1 on the album charts of Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Denmark, Norway and Switzerland. The album entered the UK chart at #3 with 55,000 units sold, marking a one-week sales record in that country for any Bob Dylan album. Additionally, Modern Times debuted at #2 in Germany, Austria and Sweden, and #3 in The Netherlands.

Modern Times is already one of the most critically lauded albums of Bob Dylan's career. Rolling Stone awarded the album 5 stars (out of 5) and proclaimed it, "His third straight masterwork." Ann Powers of the Los Angeles Times wrote that Dylan is, "our living Rosetta Stone, his songs carrying forth the essence of a thousand blues and folk classics, connecting the canonical and the folkloric to the present day." In the UK, Mojo magazine exclaimed, Epic...Heartbreaking...Dynamic ... Apocalyptic!" while Uncut gave Modern Times its highest ranking of 5 stars. (See attached page of press quotes).

According to Columbia Records Chairman Steve Barnett, "Modern Times is an absolutely staggering record, and we couldn't be more thrilled that fans have responded to it so enthusiastically by putting Bob at #1, which is where he belongs. This extraordinary artist has been integral to our company for nearly 45 years, and he remains at the peak of his artistry, vitality and cultural impact. We are incredibly proud of Bob's great achievement."

Bob Dylan is currently featured in an iPod commercial, seen performing "Someday Baby" from Modern Times. A short film starring Scarlett Johansson and set to Bob Dylan's new song "When The Deal Goes Down" premiered on AOL and was released online and to video channels last Thursday. Directed by Academy Award nominee Bennett Miller (Capote), the silent film was shot on 8mm and takes place in the early 1960s. Clues connecting the film's scenes to Bob Dylan's early career are creatively placed throughout the piece.

Bob Dylan is one of the world's most popular and acclaimed songwriters, musicians and performers, having sold nearly 100 million albums and performed literally thousands of shows around the world in a career spanning five decades. He is currently in the midst of his third annual summer U.S. tour of minor league baseball stadiums, and will begin a 24-city tour October 11 in Vancouver, B.C.

The Times They Are A-Changin', the new Broadway musical told through the songs of Bob Dylan and conceived, directed and choreographed by Tony Award winner Twyla Tharp, will open October 26 at New York's Brooks Atkinson Theatre.

Bob Dylan's most recent studio albums, Time Out Of Mind and "Love And Theft" have been among his most commercially successful and critically lauded, each having been certified Platinum in the U.S. and earning Grammy nominations for Album Of The Year (Time Out Of Mind won that award in 1998).

He wrote and recorded "Things Have Changed" for the 2000 film Wonder Boys, for which he received both the Academy Award and Golden Globe. The first volume of his memoirs, Chronicles, was one of the most acclaimed and best-selling non-fiction works of 2004, and last year's No Direction Home film, directed by Martin Scorsese, captivated audiences worldwide as it documented Dylan's early career and rise to fame. The film won a Peabody Award in 2006.

Bob Dylan's weekly XM Satellite Radio show, Theme Time Radio Hour, debuted in May and has quickly become one of that network's most popular programs, with more than 1.7 weekly listeners.

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
6th September 2006 10:57 AM
Gazza I have just hung a flag out at work..!

great pic, Meg!

and for those of you in the UK, the video for "when the deal goes down" is being aired as an exclusive on Channel 4 tomorrow night at 11.35 pm.

An unusual honour. Those type of "exclusive" slots tend to be the preserve of artists that are bigger commercial draws such as Robbie Williams, U2, George Michael and, in a recent example, the Stones (for 'Rain fall down').

"I've just 'pitched a tent', Ronnie!"

[Edited by Gazza]
6th September 2006 11:08 AM
Martha "Blessed are the peacemakers"

6th September 2006 11:10 AM
justinkurian Here's the press release, with a bigger pic and a lot of quotes about Modern Times:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060906/nyw144.html?.v=68
6th September 2006 11:17 AM
Martha More reviews poppin' up.

Who's this idiot? >Eric R. Danton, The Hartford (Conn.) Courant

I am betting he is YOUNG.
----------------------------------------------
September 3, 2006

CD reviews
Dylan album seems flat and misnamed

BOB DYLAN

"Modern Times," Sony BMG Music Entertainment.

Reviewed by Eric R. Danton, The Hartford (Conn.) Courant

Bob Dylan has been around long enough to have done just about everything. Trouble is, it's starting to sound like it.

"Modern Times," his latest album, is a mellow affair that rolls unhurriedly through 10 songs that couldn't be less modern. That's not to say they're archaic, though he does include a cover of Muddy Waters' blues standard "Rollin' and Tumblin' " and a re-worked version of the B.B. King classic "Someday Baby."

But aside from a reference to Alicia Keys on the opening number, "Thunder on the Mountain," and a fatuous reference to floodwaters on "The Levee's Gonna Break," there's nothing tying the record to any particular place or time. That's fine, except these songs somehow fall short of timeless. The album is pleasant enough, but there's not enough of the personality, the serrated edge, that has made Dylan's classic material classic.

There's a curious flatness to much of the music, as if Dylan told the band to vamp on one riff while he spun out verse after verse on songs stretching past five minutes. The lack of melodic movement becomes monotonous after a while.
"Modern Times" isn't devoid of musical dynamics, though. Two beautiful ballads dangle glittering musical hooks into the album's placid flow, and Dylan pushes himself beyond raspy, almost-spoken ruminations to sing world-weary melodies.
Gentle piano opens "Workingman's Blues 2," a downhearted song that finds Dylan in full-on proletarian mode as he muses, "Some people never work a day in their lives/Don't know what work even means." "Nettie Moore" aches with longing, as Dylan's musician protagonist thinks about the miles separating him from his love.

Mr. Metaphor abandons his typical inscrutability to make that point abundantly clear when he announces, "I feel like my soul is starting to expand," on "Thunder on the Mountain."

That's a refreshing about-face for a man who sang on 1997's "Time Out of Mind" about being "sick of love" and the gathering darkness. The darkness hasn't gathered too closely so far, possibly because Dylan stays a few towns ahead of it on his perpetual tour. Given that he recorded "Modern Times" with his road band, there's a good chance that a live setting is where these new songs truly come to life.
6th September 2006 11:22 AM
Mathijs
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Paddy - are you saying that Modern Times is worse than:

Saved
Empire Burlesque
Down in the Groove
Self Portrait
Traveling Wilburys #3
Real Live
Budakon
Knocked Out Loaded

just to list eight thoroughly shit-tie albums off the top of my head?

I have actually always liked Real Live and Self Portrait, But you forgot Under a Red Sky btw, that one SUCKS!

Mathijs
6th September 2006 11:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

I have actually always liked Real Live and Self Portrait, But you forgot Under a Red Sky btw, that one SUCKS!

Mathijs

I like Real Live (listening to a lot of '84 shows of late) and Budokan too - although I think both records suffer somewhat from a track selection that doesnt do the shows justice (Real Live) and culling a live album from the wrong leg of the tour (Budokan - the European shows that summer were amongst the greatest of his entire career)

I've always liked Self Portrait - even though Bob's tongue was firmly in cheek when making it. Talk about trying to shatter his own myth and legend.

Under The Red Sky is patchy, but it has a few little gems, such as the title track, Handy Dandy and the gorgeous Born In Time.
6th September 2006 11:37 AM
Martha I (several months ago) had what a think was a premonition about getting "Under the Red Sky" at one of the shows we are hitting. I absolutelyl LOVE that song.

6th September 2006 11:56 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
Ok, I got the ROLLING STONE..Bob's cover is LIFE SIZE!!!! Stunning shot!

And....page 74 has another GREAT black and white shot of Bob I want to use as my avatar, but don't know how to go about getting it.

Can anyone with technical saavy help me out...Lazy???!!!

You'll have to scan and save it to photobucket.com. It's free. The search for my copy continues...
6th September 2006 12:36 PM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

You'll have to scan and save it to photobucket.com. It's free. The search for my copy continues...

Darlin' thankn you kindly...yet, I have no idea how to do that....not in a million years.....I shouldn't even have a computer I am so ignorant.

Dark Ages.
6th September 2006 12:50 PM
Martha Ok! I went to photobucket....see lots and lots of photos :-) but do not know how to "scan" or even understand what that word means. I do not grasp computer language. Computer language relates to nothing in my experience....the words are very confusing to me ( there is no "off" or "on" for example)....I have to guess a lot. I have no one to ask (right here I mean) so I am on my own with this......

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)