ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Donate to Katrina Victims (from RS.COM) Return to archive
September 9th, 2005 10:48 AM
Nellcote The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang Tour Donates $1 Million To American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund For Hurricane Katrina Victims

Fans Can Participate by Donating at Booths at Concert Venues

The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang Tour announced that they have made a $1 million donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund for Hurricane Katrina. The tour will also offer fans a way to get directly involved by making their own contributions to the American Red Cross at the local concert venues throughout the tour. This effort began in Milwaukee and will continue throughout the tour.

In the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the American Red Cross has launched one of its largest responses ever to a national disaster, and yet thousands who have been forced from their homes are still awaiting help. The damage, which is estimated to exceed $26 billion, pales in comparison to the human loss and suffering.

"We wanted to reach out and offer our help to those whose lives have been devastated by Katrina. We hope that our gift will provide vital services and necessities to the families affected to help them rebuild their lives," said the Rolling Stones.

The American Red Cross is actively working to meet the challenges of providing relief to tens of thousands of survivors of Hurricane Katrina. Since Hurricane Katrina first slammed ashore in Florida, the American Red Cross has housed 159,000 survivors in more than 650 shelters in 17 states. The organization has served more than 5.5 million hot meals and snacks to survivors of Hurricane Katrina since before first landfall.

More than 32,000 trained Red Cross workers have left their homes across the United States and are on their way to join thousands of local volunteers who responded immediately to help their neighbors in impacted areas who have been left without the basic necessities of life: food, shelter, and safe drinking water.

The Disaster Relief Fund enables the Red Cross, through its network of nearly 900 local chapters to provide shelter, food, counseling and other assistance to people in need.

I think they beat Macca to the punch on this one...

[Edited by Nellcote]
September 9th, 2005 10:58 AM
Lazy Bones A million..that's it!?

I mean, sure, a million dollars is a lot of money. But if the Stones included themselves as headliners for a show that raised millions for SARS-ravaged Toronto - an economic devastation - why can't they do more for a city that's practically gone with thousands dead and the living remain in shock and handcuffed trying to stay alive.

I know they love Toronto, but come on guys...

September 9th, 2005 11:21 AM
jb Very generous offer IMO...............
September 9th, 2005 11:26 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Better than nothing. What someone gives to charity it should be private for this very reason.

Ah for fuck sakes...30 July 2003 wasn't very private now was it! Nor was the mass e-mail to say - look what we've done.

Sorry...we live in world where we should all be doing more to help out our fellow man. Start talking per capita - most people that donated money on this board gave more.

Of course it's better than nothing, but when people have the ability to do much more, I'm sorry, that's not the "caring" capability they have.

I read this morning that 100,000 post secondary students in the area are effected and can't start/return to school. The university I work for just announced that it will offer education to 20 students - free. If all 20 of those students attended university here for 4 years, that combines for almost $800,000.

So when I say "$1M, that's it?!"...a million dollars doesn't get you much these days - especially for an area that's predicted at surpassing $26 billion in damaged. And, that, pales to human loss...
September 9th, 2005 11:36 AM
Gazza well, the Stones were paid several million for that SARS show, so it was hardly a vow of poverty on their behalf.

One stupid twit over on IORR got hysterical about this last week - a mere couple of days after the event - because the Stones hadnt "done anything" or done it quick enough. Short of flying planes down to the deep south themselves and digging people out, I cant see what they were expected to do at short notice

I agree that charity is a private thing, but at the same time, had they not announced this donation you can bet that there would have been more people crying about them doing nothing (and ignoring the possibility they may have chosen to donate privately) than there are people lambasting it as a publicity stunt.

Its not their responsibility yet like anyone in their position, theyre damned if they make a humanitarian gesture and damned if they dont. Its the thought that counts. Good on them, in this case.
September 9th, 2005 11:40 AM
jb Plus they are allowing a feed from Chicago to be part of the MTV fund raiser...they have gone above and beyond what our president has done..........................
September 9th, 2005 11:45 AM
Gazza now youre ripping the arse out of it...allowing a couple of songs to be broadcast is hardly going to put them out..if anything it benefits them
September 9th, 2005 11:49 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
now youre ripping the arse out of it...allowing a couple of songs to be broadcast is hardly going to put them out..if anything it benefits them

They have had major exposure over here..last night all over the NFL premier, on Aneriquest commercials, etc....If the album does not pick up sales this next week, nothing can save it...................................................
September 9th, 2005 11:51 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well, the Stones were paid several million for that SARS show, so it was hardly a vow of poverty on their behalf.

Yes, but with SARS, the event received millions from Provincial and Federal tax dollars to pay for the event - salary included.

Don't get me wrong here, it is better than nothing, and, yes, they didn't have to give anything...my point is about degree of ability.

Someone else can mention the cash drop boxes for post-Milwaukee shows. Well, that's great, but so does my local coffee shop.

Hard to please, I guess. Satisfied, yet dissatisfied.

September 9th, 2005 11:54 AM
jb People are free to donate as they please...Oprah is exploiting the situation for ratings as are most news casts....she never donated those cars..they were given by the manuf and some people couldn't even pay the taxes....Celine Dion supposedly donated 1.5 million................and yet, looked like an idiot on Larry King Live.
September 9th, 2005 11:56 AM
jb
quote:
jb wrote:
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash9nfl.htm

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)