ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Help a new Stones fan? Return to archive
September 8th, 2005 02:49 PM
goodfelladh Hey guys,

I just recently found the board and it's great for somebody like me who is just getting into the Stones. I'm trying to expand my collection (right now I've all but worn out Satanic Majesties, BB, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile). But, I'm getting a bit confused with some albums as to exactly which verions I want... UK or US? This is the case on Between the Buttons, Aftermath, 12X5, etc. Seems a bit confusing, particulary when some songs I would like to have a missing from certain versions. Still, I wonder if there is some sort of consensus as to whcih would be best in each instance? Thanks.
September 8th, 2005 02:59 PM
Jumacfly Hi and welcome here!
try some girls!!
September 8th, 2005 03:26 PM
Scratched Back Id pick the UK versions if I were you; that's how they were originally intended. The US versions have some of the big hits slipped in - but you can get these on several greatest hits albums as well.

As to the suggestion of Some Girls: an excellent pick of course to purchase if you've already got the Big Four.
September 8th, 2005 03:28 PM
Jair If I was you, I'd buy both versions.
My suggestion for you is Black & Blue.
Welcome!!!
September 8th, 2005 03:31 PM
gimmekeef Welcome!...the UK version of Aftermath is a great choice.And you just gotta get Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.Also look for bootlegs etc which give you a different flavour...And as you're a relatively new fan I'd love your take on the new album?..Good/Bad/Indifferent?...Thanks and welcome to Rocks Off..
September 8th, 2005 03:37 PM
goodfelladh I've heard the new album by downloading through a subscription service I have through my college (so I'm not ripping the Stones off, it's legit! *g*), and very much enjoyed it. The way that I would sum it up, as a young and new fan of the Stones... it's a hell of a lot better than I expected. It just goes to show that guy's this talented can do it for as long as they want so long as they have the drive to do it.

At the same time, I'm debating on whether to go ahead and purchase ABB, or if my $12 would be better spent getting some of the classic back catalogue that I still don't have. That seems to be my dilemma at the moment.

Still... ABB is very good, something I'm glad to hear from current music -- good ol' rock n' roll.
September 8th, 2005 03:38 PM
jcdesq Getting into the Stones is quite fun. I sort of worked my way up from the "Big 4" year by year. You should give Black and Blue some solid listening, in my opinion, Mick's vocals are the best on that one. His singing on "Melody" is genius.

I would also not dismiss albums like "Undercover" or "Dirty Work." There are some good tunes on them. Give them all a chance and you'll find some real gems.

Also, don't forget the early-Stones. The songs are more simple, but the talent is there. You can here them honing their craft, getting ready for the explosion that would become "Beggar's Banquet."

Finally, it would be helpful to know if you wipe sitting down or standing up? I am taking a survey of new Stones fans. When it is finally done, I plan to mail the results to Woody Allen, Tim Matheson and Wilson Pickett.
September 8th, 2005 04:44 PM
Sleepy London Clown Welcome goodfellah,

I'd agree with all of the above, but don't overlook Goats Head Soup, forever in the shadow of the big 4, but some of Mick Taylor's work on it is out of this world.

I'd also check out Tattoo You as well.

As already mentioned, every single album has some decent tracks on it and reward repeated listening.

Enjoy! It's a great experience discovering the band exploring the back catalogue if you didn't live throught it.
September 8th, 2005 06:46 PM
IrelandCalling4 Greetings Goodfellah!

Good choice of name by the way,as long as you ain't prone to bouts of procalaiming,a la Joe Pesci:"Funny how? What the f*ck makes me so funny? Do I amuuuuse you?"--^^ Sorry,couldn't resist it!

I too was introduced to the magical back catalogue of the Rolling stones via the 'big four'. Purely serendipitously though,as,most smaller musical chains(like the one here in Limerick^)tend to carry to big hitters mainly. At that point i didn't have a clue what albums were the most accalaimed,didn't know anything really about the stones. But,after the big four,addiction set in,and,to echo some oher posters above,every album has gems,but,for my money,4 of the absolute best to get next would be:

Black And Blue
Some Girls
Goats Head Soup
Tattoo You

As for the UK & US versions of '60's albums,I've always been partial to the classic US edition of "Out of Our Heads", but,besides that,I'd go for ther original UK issues for the others.
September 8th, 2005 09:08 PM
goodfelladh Thanks for all the suggestions guys... it really is great to go back through the catalogue of a band like the Stones, since I didn't live through the era. The thing that has been great so far is that the albums lived up to the hype I had heard about them beforehand.

Here's one more newbie question I'll throw out... a song I haven't seen discussed much is "Sway" and I think that it is outstanding. Is that Mick Taylor on lead guitar? Whoever it is, if its him or Keith, absolutely blow me away with the guitar work on that song.
September 8th, 2005 09:13 PM
Riffhard
quote:
goodfelladh wrote:
Here's one more newbie question I'll throw out... a song I haven't seen discussed much is "Sway" and I think that it is outstanding. Is that Mick Taylor on lead guitar? Whoever it is, if its him or Keith, absolutely blow me away with the guitar work on that song.

It is indeed Mick Taylor,but also Jagger does the rythym guitar. Keith is not even on Sway. Shockingly enough. Welcome to the board!

Riffhard
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)