ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones still alive and kicking with A Bigger Bang (article) Return to archive
September 8th, 2005 10:16 AM
moy Rolling Stones still alive and kicking with A Bigger Bang
By Alex Gray
Published: Thursday, September 8, 2005

Media Credit: Camille Weber

Keith Richards and Mick Jagger look better than ever on the eve of their new release A Bigger Bang.

Any musical act runs the risk of holding on too long and fizzling out. The Rolling Stones, however, show that they are still going strong with their new album, A Bigger Bang.

This 16-track powerhouse serves as the band's first new album in almost eight years and is a testament to the endurance of one of rock's most lasting and influential quartets.

Starting off with the album's initial track and first American single, "Rough Justice," A Bigger Bang immediately establishes itself as being akin to the band's early, pre-1981 Tattoo You, albums.

The single, one of the few new songs currently showcased on their A Bigger Bang Tour, is driven by the pulsating drums of Charlie Watts intermingled with the dueling guitars of Keith Richards and Ronnie Woods.

A Bigger Bang's showcase song comes in with the Stones' first U.K. single, "Streets of Love." The track, which is quickly moving up the radio charts of the United Kingdom, allows Mick Jagger to unleash the single most recognizable voice left in rock in a riveting ballad that will be sure to thrill concert audiences for years.

"It Won't Take Long" is another song that won't waste time finding favor with Stones fans. The straight ahead rock tradition, "It Won't Take Long" finds Jagger belting out the chorus: "It won't take long to forget you / I'm never wrong," with his voice surrounded by blistering guitar solos wielded by Keith Richards.

One of the album's few shortcomings comes in the Rolling Stones' attempt to delve into the political spectrum with "Sweet Neo Con." This track lacks the subtle lyricism and understatement necessary for the type of song that actually grants effective political criticism.

While instrumentally sound, "Sweet Neo Con" opts for lyrics such as "You call yourself a Christian / I think that you're a hypocrite," instead of the symbolism and complexity necessary for the song to be serious political commentary.

A Bigger Bang also highlights the vocal styling of Keith Richards as a front man in two tracks, "Infamy" and "This Place is Empty." The latter serves as a perfect combination of stripped-down instrumentals and the fragile voice of Richards, which grants the song a sentimental nature that is befitting of a group in their early '60s.

Two tracks, "Look What the Cat Dragged In" and "Back of My Hand," are superbly engineered blues songs that give tribute to the band's early material and influences such as Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson. Highlighted by Jagger's snarling voice and harmonica, these tracks are a welcome return to the band's roots.

A Bigger Bang is a fascinating tribute to The Rolling Stones' versatility and overwhelming talents.

The album ensures that the Stones will not remain quiet as they embark on the final chapter of their career.
September 8th, 2005 10:19 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
moy wrote:
Two tracks, "Look What the Cat Dragged In" and "Back of My Hand," are superbly engineered blues songs that give tribute to the band's early material and influences such as Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson.

Did this guy hear the entire album?

September 8th, 2005 10:24 AM
Mel Belli I, of course, agree with the review, but it's pretty shittily written.
September 8th, 2005 04:40 PM
IzzyStradlin Who is Ronnie Woods?
September 8th, 2005 07:25 PM
Soldatti LWTCDI is more a tribute to INXS!
September 8th, 2005 08:48 PM
corgi37 Every review seems to make a point on how good SOL is.

I'm starting to turn as well. I quite like it.
September 8th, 2005 08:50 PM
White House Lawn It's more listenable than OUT OF TEARS--that one I can't freakin' stand!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)