ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: best five non stones albums? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
September 7th, 2005 05:44 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
In no particular order...

1 Revolver - The Beatles
2 The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
3 Definetly Maybe - Oasis
4 The Holy Bible - The Manic Street Preachers
5 Up The Bracket - The Libertines

I'll look at this list another time and probably hate it, but these are the records I can think of at the moment.

Awesome selection! Bar the Manics!

Love Babyshamble's Fuck Forever - a real grower...

My 5:

Dylan - Blood on the Tracks.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe. Teenage dreams! Sound track to drinkin cider down the park!

Bowie - Ziggy "Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe, put your ray gun to my head"

Stooges - Raw Power

Libertines - Up the Bracket - - can't believe this came out so long ago Oct 2002!

September 7th, 2005 05:50 AM
Honky Tonk Man Hi Zeeta!

Yeah, I suppose it isn't a bad selection. There are so many great albums out there; it really is hard to choose!

I think you're very disillusioned about the Manics. The Holy Bible is a masterpiece! The If You Tolerate This wank came a few years later!

September 7th, 2005 05:59 AM
Zeeta Yo Honky!

Yeah I find the Manics a lil' depressing. I have Generation Terrorists and I can't tolerate that let alone If You Tolerate this wank!

Anthony & the Johnsons Mercury Music Award winners? Don't get him at all?!

September 7th, 2005 06:06 AM
Honky Tonk Man You don't like Generation Terrorists?

MOTORCYCLE EMPTINESS: This song has to be in my top-twenty of all time.

I had the Kasier Cheifs down to win the Mercury Music thing. Anyway, thankfully Coldplay didn't win and that's all that matters to me!
September 7th, 2005 07:41 AM
corgi37 VOODOO SCROUNGE - Squeeze - 45's and under! Superb!!

The Corgi top 5:

Who's Next
Ragged Glory
Goodbye yellow brick road (Yes, really!)
L.A. Woman
Led Zep 2
September 7th, 2005 05:37 PM
Starbuck excellent suggestions! i have many of them, but it is good to hear!

today i am ingesting massive amounts of the stooges for the first time....sensory overload!!!!

"we will fall" and "ann" are seriously freaking me out!

corgi, i am sorry to hear about "goodbye yellow brick road"!

[Edited by Ziggy Starbuck]
[Edited by Starbuck]
September 7th, 2005 05:40 PM
Starbuck oh, and good to hear from you zack!

when do the boys play sri lanka?
September 7th, 2005 05:55 PM
Saint Sway the more I listen to Bigger Bang, the more I think its one of the better non-stones albums

Bang is definately one of Micks best solo albums.
September 7th, 2005 06:14 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

By the way, I'm not familiar with Kings Of Leon! If you dig them they're probably someone I should check out.

I would only recommend checking them out if you like your rock to rawk.

they're strictly 3 chords and a pile of dust, straight forward R&R. The singer is horrible and slurs all the hedonistic lyrics like a young Jagger and the geetars pound out no thrills Some Girls-esque riffs.

think Jivin Sister Fanny, Whip, Turd, Lies, Summer Romance.

Factory Girl could give you a better description of them though. But check em out. Holy Roller Novacaine & Happy Alone are two songs that the Stones should be making now. HRN is the best rock song since Remedy.
September 7th, 2005 06:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the more I listen to Bigger Bang, the more I think its one of the better non-stones albums

LOL i can respect those saying the album sucks as it is matter of taste, feeling, perception, etc but to say ABB is a Jagger solo album ???

--- blank frigging stare ---

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
September 7th, 2005 06:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

LOL i can respect those saying the album sucks as it is matter of tastes, feelngis, preception but to say ABB is a Jagger solo album ???

--- blank frigging stare ---

I'd say 3/4's is Goddess garbage. The other 1/4 kicks ass. Songs like RJ, It Wont Take Long, BOMH sound like the Stones.

RFD, SOL, Sweet NeoCon, LWTCDI, Biggest Mistake, SSMC etc sound like solo Mick. Not a trace of Keith on there.

September 7th, 2005 07:45 PM
Soldatti Blood On The Tracks
Ziggy
Abbey Road
Wish You Were Here
Rocket To Russia
September 7th, 2005 09:55 PM
BILL PERKS JEFF BECK GROUP-TRUTH
LOU REED-NEW YORK
AC/DC BACK IN BLACK
JOHNNY CASH-THE MAN COMES AROUND
BOB DYLAN-HIWAY 61

THAT WANKER THAT MENTIONED BLIND MELON SHOULD BE SHOT.
September 7th, 2005 10:00 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
THAT WANKER THAT MENTIONED BLIND MELON SHOULD BE SHOT.

I like(d) Blind Melon too. I'll shoot myself, save you the trouble.
September 7th, 2005 10:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Here's 5 more ....

Nantucket Sleighride - Mountain
Cricklewood Green - Ten Years After
Led Zep III
Deja Vu - CSNY
Schools Out - Alice Cooper

September 7th, 2005 10:51 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the more I listen to Bigger Bang, the more I think its one of the better non-stones albums

For something you don't like you seem to be listening to it a whole lot.
September 7th, 2005 11:15 PM
John Wood The Who Who's Next
Pink Floyd Meddle
AC DC Highway to Hell
John Cougar Mellencamp Uh Huh
ZZ Top Deguello
September 7th, 2005 11:39 PM
sirmoonie Very interesting reading this thread. So much music. Good one, Starbie.

The Who - Who's Next
The Who - Quadrophenia (it blows doors!)
Clash - London Calling
Velvet Underground - Loaded
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
Nirvana - Nevermind
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
Marley - Uprising
Sly - Stand!

Five of that ten is the best next to the Stones' five best. Or something like that.
September 8th, 2005 12:18 AM
MrPleasant Highway 61 Revisited, Arthur and others have already been mentioned. Don't know about these:

Yep, and this dude's responsible:

-"Those Ramones are peculiar".
-"They're ugly. Ugly, ugly people".
September 8th, 2005 12:30 AM
CraigP Honky Tonk Man: The Stone Roses are a great band... Ever hear of Suede? or otherwise (The London Suede)???
September 8th, 2005 12:57 AM
Starbuck moonie, do you really think that highly of nirvana? i've never really been a fan but have secretly enjoyed them at a distance. i do think they were one of the most influential bands of the last 15 years or so.

if anyone's keeping tabs, my five for today would be:

1. dead: workingman's dead or american beauty
2. matthew sweet: girlfriend
3. tom waits: closing time
4. dylan: desire, freewheelin, or BOTT
5. beatles: white album, rubber soul

tomorrow's would probably be:

1. VU: loaded
2. uncle tupelo: anodyne
3. johnny cash: solitary man
4. bowie: ziggy
5. beatles: sgt pepper, abbey road
September 8th, 2005 04:08 AM
Voodoo Scrounge If there is anybody out there who hasnt listened to The Squeeze before, they should really try it out. They were a band formed in the early seventies. They hit it big in the late seventies and mid eighties. The reason Im posting this is because Im not sure how well known they are in the US and they have lots of stuff worth listening to.

Some tracks to download...

Up the Junction
Cool For Cats
Pulling Muscles
Annie Get Your Gun
Tempted

All great songs, give them a try
September 8th, 2005 06:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
hotlicks wrote:
How could a belfast boy leave out astral weeks !! cmon norn ireland lets whip this shit england team------ but cmon on the england cricket team !!

I've always preferred "Moondance" to "Astral Weeks", thats why..in fact I probably prefer "Beautiful Vision" to them both...

and yeah, we whipped 'em and I have no voice left (hopefully it'll recover for the Rollin Clones on Saturday)...but fingers crossed for the cricket...
September 8th, 2005 07:56 AM
corgi37 Voodoo Scrounge!!

And, "What the butler saw" - its from Cool for Cats lp i think. Brilliant! They were amazing. Jules Holland - legend. The drummer - Very Charlie Watts. The 2 song writers were compared to Lennon/McCartney - and i 100% agree. Very English, and maybe too English to translate to world wide audience.

UP the junction is superb song writing.

Pulling muscles from a shell - amazing

Tempted - Perfect pop. Produced by Elvis Costello, no less.

Their "Cosi fan tutti" lp is great. They wrote a song about the HIllsborough soccer fire - great stuff

"Trust me to open my mouth" is genius pop!

And the song that has the line "She pulls the top of her old whisky bottle"....brilliant!

Over here, "Cool for cats" was there only hit. They are known as a 1 hit wonder. Yet, "Tempted" was, and still is, played quite often. Wasnt Paul Carrick on vocals for that tune? Man, such a great song. Couldnt get it out of my head for ages. And, listen closely at the end of that song. Something is whispered. It;s laid deep in the mix. Sound like "Ludwig" or something. Listen closely!

Of course, us Poms and Aussies know Jules Holland very well for his music show. But, in the early-mid 80's, he had his own series of docos. Maybe most famous for interviewing U2 during the making of "Unforgettable Fire" - recorded in a light house. But, most relevant to us, he was also at the Paris sessions for "Undercover". I recall him sitting in the back seat of a car being driven by Mick down the Champs...er, cant spell it (too many cones). ya know, where the Arche de triumphe is. Anyway, cool little shows they were.

And, make no mistake. Jules Holland is a Stones maniac! Also, he did a fantastic blues special once. I have it taped. He's trawling the South of U.S. Even meets Fats Domino, and has a boogie-woogie lesson! Thats something thats sort of relevant, post New Orleans disappearing. Also, the drummer was in the show. Man, it was great. Just makes you want to travel to the deep south. He was in Bourbon St too! Jules hires and drives the most beat up convertible you've ever seen, and the car slowly gets trashed.

All the major influences are covered. Even people like Proffessor Longhair! Dont believe the hype - The blues will never die. It cant. It's too damn deep. It's in the blood of every serious rocker.

if anyone wants a copy of the tape, PM me. But, please realise, i gotta find the fucking thing. And, its in PAL.
September 8th, 2005 08:01 AM
Gazza >And, make no mistake. Jules Holland is a Stones maniac!

didnt Jools do some of the interviews for the "On the Road" book that came out at the end of the BTB tour?
September 8th, 2005 08:07 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>And, make no mistake. Jules Holland is a Stones maniac!

didnt Jools do some of the interviews for the "On the Road" book that came out at the end of the BTB tour?

Yes he did indeed. A great book that! Superb photos especially from the tour of the americas tour.

There's a particular on of Keith on a hotel bed a mirror on his lap with piles and I mean HUGE piles of coke stacked up! But the mother fucker's asleep! Its brilliant!

Anyone know it?
September 8th, 2005 10:00 AM
corgi37 Buddha on a stick - i missed that!
September 8th, 2005 10:00 AM
Voodoo Scrounge My dad got me into the squeeze and I love him for that. They are in my all time top 10 bands.

I thought Jools Holland was great on The Tube and Im not too keen on his Later shows
September 8th, 2005 10:20 AM
Scratched Back U2 - Achtung Baby
U2 - Pop
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground
Radiohead - Hail to the thief
Pixies - Doolittle

but so many more could qualify....
September 8th, 2005 04:23 PM
IzzyStradlin 1)Every Picture Tells a Story (Rod Stewart)
2)In The Land of Salvation and Sin (Georgia Satellites)
3)LIVE at The Old Quarter (Townes VanZandt)
4)Damn the Torpedos (Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers)
5)Ooh La La (The Faces)
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)