ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsing in México City, Palacio de los Deportes - January 1995
Longest stop in the middle of a tour ever: January 7 to January 25
Photo by Fernando Aceves

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More about the 40x20 exhibition and the new book!!! Return to archive
09-07-02 11:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl For those who live in the DC area, and for those who will be in the area during the shows to be held there, this is a great side-activity to watch.

We gave the news back in June, check this thread, well now this is the definitive line-up and additional information

Yesterday I received the nicest invitation to a photo exhibition; is printed in high quality glossy paper and looks fantastic. Another collector’s item and received by hand from one of the artists involved, Fernando Aceves.

For the first time some of the best, if not the best, Rolling Stones photographers in the world will be together in this exhibition. There have been some other collective exhibitions in the past, like one in 1995, but this is the biggest project ever.

Just imagine
  • From 1962 to 2002
  • The best photographers of all time in this "Stones speciality" (*)
  • All printed specially for the exhibition from the original negatives using state-of-the art advanced printing technology, all in the same format.
  • All in the same room and in the same Tour atmosphere.

(*) The definitive list, with Dominique Tarlé out from the original list and Ross Halfin and Kate Simon in.

• 1. Fernando Aceves.
  • 2. Michael Cooper.
  • 3. Gus Coral.
  • 4. William Coupon.
  • 5. Barry Feinstein.
  • 6. Claude Gassian.
  • 7. Bob Gruen.
  • 8. Ross Halfin.
  • 9. Michael Joseph.
  • 10. Art Kane.
  • 11. Eddie Kramer.
  • 12. Chris Makos.
  • 13. Gered Mankowitz.
  • 14. Jan Oloffson.
  • 15. Michael Putland.
  • 16. Ethan Russell.
  • 17. Mark Seliger.
  • 18. Kate Simon.
  • 19. Dick Waterman.
  • 20. Baron Wolman.

But wait… we have another great news, a high quality big book, printed with the highest printing standards (i.e. Genesis Publications) is being printed in Singapore, it will be a short production, a low number will be numbered and signed by each of the artists. I got mine on its way!!

It is the most ambitious project and the book will have the best visuals in the whole history of Stones books. Of course it will be very expensive, well the price will be high but it will worth the effort.

The book will be presented also in the first day of the exhibition and will be available through the gallery.

The Rolling Stones: 40 X 20 opens September 20 and continues through October 26, 2002.

Govinda Gallery
1227 Thirty Fourth Street NW
Washington DC 20007
http://www.govindagallery.com

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
09-07-02 11:41 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl One of the coolest things for me seeing that list is that I have signed and gallery certified originals from many of them!

Also I'm almost 100% sure thet we are the only website with photos by Jan Oloffson
09-08-02 12:16 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is the cover!

09-08-02 01:35 AM
parmeda Voo,
I recieved a notification at the beginning of last week via the Smithsonian about the same exhibit. I will be in Washington in October, and YES, the Govinda Gallery is already on my itinerary!
Thanks for posting this information, and I hope that others that may happen to be in the area, will take advantage of this viewing. Just so happens, I'll be there for the FedEx show and hopefully Mr. Jagger and friends might "pop in" while I'm there! (Wishful thinking, I know...)

I have but one question for you...Do you have any idea on the cost of the book you had mentioned above?

Thanks Voo...you're always a step ahead of things!
Pam
09-08-02 09:20 AM
scull And do you have any details on how the book can be ordered.

There's an exhibition of Stones photographs currently at the Atlas gallery in London too (until 20th October), Ethan Russel, Dominic Tarle etc. Sounds good.
09-08-02 09:38 AM
nankerphelge Hey Pam -- did you get an invitation to the Govinda? I seem to recall from Doug's board that an invite was needed (don't know that for sure though). I contacted the Govinda a few months back and was told that I would receive an invite -- I don't believe I have yet unless it is buried in my mail! Should be a terrific show timed with the concert and all.
09-08-02 12:37 PM
parmeda Nank,
I recieved a notification via The Smithsonian Institute a few months back. I sent away for more info and this past week I recieved it from THEM, not Govinda. I will be on the phone sometime this week to find out more...if I need an invite, etc. I think the invite is needed if you plan on attending the opening, which is later this month.
This is something that I would love to see, and being that I will be out there during the time of it's run...I don't want to pass up the opportunity.
I'll find out more....
09-08-02 01:30 PM
nankerphelge Thanks -- I sent another e-mail today for clarification. I'll let you know what they tell me.
09-08-02 03:27 PM
parmeda Oh, please do...and I will do the same!
Thanks Nank...
09-08-02 06:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The invitation is required only for the opening.

The Rolling Stones will be there later when they arrive to the DC area for the shows, but they will be in the gallery in an exclusive and absolutely private event inside
09-08-02 06:37 PM
parmeda Thanks Voo,
What you had just mentioned is what I was kind of leaning to. The notice I received mentioned nothing about an "invitation only" but it did say there was to be a "private showing" for their members...understandably. But, I will be there that weekend in October...and I know that there's no way The Stones would waltz through there along with the public, but hey, stranger things have happened...I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

BTW...will you be attending the opening, being you've been invited? And, if you find any more out on the book, please let me know. Thanks Voo!
09-08-02 08:03 PM
nankerphelge I just got an e-mail from them and according to her you don't even need an invite for the opener. Which begs the question, why get the invite at all? I don't know -- must be for the art snob crowd! See y'all at the show!!
09-08-02 08:24 PM
parmeda Nank,
I'll be out there Oct. 3-6. I'm planning on hitting the Gallery on the 4th early in the day...would love to run into ya! If not then, definately that evening at FedEx...and don't worry, I don't have any strap-ons.
09-08-02 08:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The invitation is for the cocktail to open the exhibition from 6 P.M. until 9 P.M. with the artists (well some of them as Michael Cooper passed away and I think not all will be there) and some special guests. But as usual, I'm sure they will be willing to receive some without invitation. Let me check with Fernando to give you more specific details.

ALSO: A fully illustrated catalogue of the exhibition is published in conjuction with the exhibition and will be available through the gallery. This in addition to the above-mentioned book.
09-08-02 08:32 PM
nankerphelge I'm hoping to see the exhibit on the 4th as well -- I'm taking the day and trying to do it all in DC and then heading out to FedEx. Stonesdoug has something brewing at the stadium parking lot -- I'll probably head there and hook up wif everyone. I'm sure we'll run into each other -- too bad you don't have the SSSD strap-on -- Stoney has a ring of warts around his dick that look like a speed bump -- at least, that's what I've heard through licensing negotiations...
09-08-02 08:53 PM
parmeda That's great Nank, I'm sure we'll be able to meet up some place that day...we'll be talkin' before that.
As far as the strap-on....I'll have to hook up with The Devine Sir before hand, lol.