ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Congratulations Cucho, a second edition! Now printed in Spain
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rick Rubin: "I never really liked the Stones" Return to archive
5th September 2007 07:14 AM
Mel Belli According to this profile in the NY Times Magazine
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/magazine/02rubin.t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin):

"He also seeks a melody. As a kid growing up in Lido Beach, on New York's Long Island, Rubin loved the Beatles. 'I never really liked the Stones,' he said. 'Although, I loved the Monkees — they had all the best songwriters.' Through his passion for the Beatles, he became fascinated by the seductive, addictive power of songs."
5th September 2007 11:16 AM
Moonisup well, good thing, he did great things with jagger, so let him in with the stones, no more was!
5th September 2007 12:14 PM
mojoman hasidic pop producer
5th September 2007 12:22 PM
Saint Sway No Rubin.

Either give Brendan O'Brien a crack at producing the next record (if there ever is one) or tap back into the Johns family gene pool and give Ethan a shot and see if he can rekindle any of the old 70s magic from when his Uncle Andy was behind the knobs
5th September 2007 12:25 PM
glencar I'm in the middle of this article & I have to agree: keep Rubin away from the Stones. He's weird but not in an interesting way.
5th September 2007 02:04 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm in the middle of this article & I have to agree: keep Rubin away from the Stones. He's weird but not in an interesting way.

Yeah, love the bit about his persuading Columbia to "go green" and abolish plastic jewel boxes - and yet he tools around L.A. in a friggin' Range Rover. And his first priority is to relocate the company's headquarters there and in NY, so as to change the workplace vibe. There's precious millions well-spent, eh?

When he actually does talk concretely about business, he simply mouths every cliche about what's wrong with the record industry today. His idea of a cable-TV-like subscription model for music is neither original nor new.

The Rubin hire reeks of desperation and has all the hallmarks of a lunatic overtaking the asylum.
5th September 2007 02:09 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yeah, love the bit about his persuading Columbia to "go green" and abolish plastic jewel boxes - and yet he tools around L.A. in a friggin' Range Rover. And his first priority is to relocate the company's headquarters there and in NY, so as to change the workplace vibe. There's precious millions well-spent, eh?

When he actually does talk concretely about business, he simply mouths every cliche about what's wrong with the record industry today. His idea of a cable-TV-like subscription model for music is neither original nor new.

The Rubin hire reeks of desperation and has all the hallmarks of a lunatic overtaking the asylum.

me thinks he's an overrated producer
5th September 2007 02:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
well, good thing, he did great things with jagger, so let him in with the stones, no more was!

His fractious relationship with Jagger at those sessions when he actually had the balls to tell him 'you can write better than this' pretty much ensures he'll never be employed by the Stones. As he said himself, Jagger is so used to being surrounded by yes men who have basically convinced him his shit doesn't stink that he couldnt handle someone with that kind of honest attitude. They managed to pull a good album out of those sessions but he's said its an experience he has no wish to repeat.

I wonder what sycophant told him that 'Charmed Life' made him look and sound cool.
5th September 2007 02:16 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
No Rubin.

Either give Brendan O'Brien a crack at producing the next record (if there ever is one) or tap back into the Johns family gene pool and give Ethan a shot and see if he can rekindle any of the old 70s magic from when his Uncle Andy was behind the knobs

And come to the realization that the next record won't be a hit on the level of Steel Wheels/Voodoo Lounge/Bridges To Babylon and will likely not sell very well and decide ahead of time which priorities should be satisfied. But also I think just making a record for it's own sake might be a totally foreign concept to them at this point.
5th September 2007 02:19 PM
texile i think most of us agree:
not liking the stones is the perfect ingredient to being a producer for the glimmer twins..
5th September 2007 02:21 PM
Gazza well, not being overawed certainly is!
5th September 2007 02:28 PM
Mel Belli I was shocked to learn that not only is he not a musician, he's got no engineering experience either. Can't mic an instrument nor turn a knob. He's kind of like that Aerosmith guru John Kolodner. I won't deny that he's got a "golden ear," but that does not a record-company honcho make.
5th September 2007 02:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I wonder what sycophant told him that 'Charmed Life' made him look and sound cool.

A. Matt Clifford
B. Rob Thomas
C. Dave Stewart
D. All of the above
5th September 2007 03:24 PM
Dan
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I was shocked to learn that not only is he not a musician, he's got no engineering experience either. Can't mic an instrument nor turn a knob. He's kind of like that Aerosmith guru John Kolodner. I won't deny that he's got a "golden ear," but that does not a record-company honcho make.

I think the whole point of the article is that the record company is a dying business so there is no particular type of person suited to a be record company honcho. But his own indie labels distributed through the majors were very successful.
5th September 2007 03:40 PM
glencar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yes, I'm about halfway through the article & so far his ideas of distributing music seem nonsensical. Even the writer said as much. And the money he's pouring out for simplistic notions is kind of funny. SONY has no idea what they did to their company!
5th September 2007 03:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Dan wrote:

I think the whole point of the article is that the record company is a dying business so there is no particular type of person suited to a be record company honcho. But his own indie labels distributed through the majors were very successful.

Actually, I think the writer was favorbly inclined to believe that Rubin can turn Sony around.
5th September 2007 03:58 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, I'm about halfway through the article & so far his ideas of distributing music seem nonsensical. Even the writer said as much. And the money he's pouring out for simplistic notions is kind of funny. SONY has no idea what they did to their company!

They are desperate but it IS going to take bold and innovative action to save the music industry, that is IF it's even salvageable and it might be a big IF at that. Another thing that struck me as weird is the "word of mouth" thing. It can work if it's genuine like with Metallica in the 80's but spammers and street teams is a tired old game that will have negligible results.
5th September 2007 04:13 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Dan wrote:

They are desperate but it IS going to take bold and innovative action to save the music industry, that is IF it's even salvageable and it might be a big IF at that. Another thing that struck me as weird is the "word of mouth" thing. It can work if it's genuine like with Metallica in the 80's but spammers and street teams is a tired old game that will have negligible results.

I agree with that ... And, yeah, the idea of a "word of mouth" campaign doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in Rubin's ability to be bold and innovative.

5th September 2007 04:33 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Joey wrote:

did you know that a - "beard" - is used to hide the gayness?!

what?

oh, sure....>

l
l
l
l
l
l
v

J-J-Joey Jazz!

5th September 2007 04:55 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Gazza wrote:

His fractious relationship with Jagger at those sessions when he actually had the balls to tell him 'you can write better than this' pretty much ensures he'll never be employed by the Stones. As he said himself, Jagger is so used to being surrounded by yes men who have basically convinced him his shit doesn't stink that he couldnt handle someone with that kind of honest attitude. They managed to pull a good album out of those sessions but he's said its an experience he has no wish to repeat.

Do you remember where you read/heard that? I still have this great interview of Mick in Musician from early 1993 and he never let on that the sessions had been tough for him, in typical Mick way of course, but it looks like he changed his tune at some point.

having said that I'm going to put on WS and drink a coffee !
5th September 2007 05:01 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well, not being overawed certainly is!

true,
but i imagine it would difficult to find anyone who has even a vague respect for the stones NOT to be overawed...
they are larger than life....
it would have to be someone who IS slightly disdainful of their current status as dinosaurs.
5th September 2007 05:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:

Do you remember where you read/heard that? I still have this great interview of Mick in Musician from early 1993 and he never let on that the sessions had been tough for him, in typical Mick way of course, but it looks like he changed his tune at some point.

Interview with Rubin in 'Uncut' a few months ago. It was Rick who expressed disatisfaction and frustration at how negatively Mick reacted to any negative feedback, not the other way round
5th September 2007 05:18 PM
Dan
quote:
texile wrote:

true,
but i imagine it would difficult to find anyone who has even a vague respect for the stones NOT to be overawed...
they are larger than life....

So is Rick Rubin!
6th September 2007 05:17 AM
gotdablouse @Gazza - thanks, it didn't seem like Mick post-1978 to say anything negative, he's too much of spinner nowadays !
6th September 2007 08:50 AM
andrews27
quote:
texile wrote:
i think most of us agree:
not liking the stones is the perfect ingredient to being a producer for the glimmer twins..

Why not? - it qualifies Mick Jagger.

Bring in Phil Spector!
[Edited by andrews27]
6th September 2007 09:05 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Which is exactly why its the funnest news I've read about the major label industry in many a moon!

Look at the ship sink, sweeties!

Bring in the White Whale!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)