ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Congratulations Cucho, a second edition! Now printed in Spain
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Four Flicks vs Biggest Bang Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st September 2007 12:30 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
I thought I had put that CD in my SUV but I'd put in She's The Boss instead. How disappointing...

And humiliating!
1st September 2007 06:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

Yes great tune!

Face the music, face the truth,

Chase that fleet sweet bird of youth,

Grow up sweetly, grow up strong,

Hear the heartbeat, in my song...

Thanks for the smile.

Now if Mick could consistently put out solo stuff THAT good, we could consign that "Charmed life" nonsense to the dustbin where it belongs.

One of the few songs he's written about his fellow Glimmer Twin that actually comes off well....
1st September 2007 06:42 PM
gotdablouse For those still scratching their head (it took me a while), that would "Party Doll", and I can't believe the accoustic rendition with Dave Stewart on Rapido is NOT on YouTube, need to dig it out !
1st September 2007 08:11 PM
CousinC To Gazza -
Ronnie was out of it at the Paris club show?

I remember some guys like often critical Mathjis posted that Ron was playin his best that night.

?!?
2nd September 2007 12:37 PM
Bloozehound Zilker rules

2nd September 2007 05:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
CousinC wrote:
To Gazza -
Ronnie was out of it at the Paris club show?

I remember some guys like often critical Mathjis posted that Ron was playin his best that night.

?!?

No..Mathijs posted that he was out of it, as I recall, as did others (I wasn't there myself) and that after a few songs Mick quite clearly ordered the sound crew to turn him down.
2nd September 2007 05:04 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No..Mathijs posted that he was out of it, as I recall, as did others (I wasn't there myself) and that after a few songs Mick quite clearly ordered the sound crew to turn him down.

In a few years then I can see it being a Mick kareokie tour....(okay so I'm no Jap)
2nd September 2007 05:09 PM
_Boomy_ I haven't even watched any of the concert footage. I got bored with it after the documentary.

That is not good for a Stones fan like me.
2nd September 2007 05:38 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thats because he was off his tits that night and Mick quite visibily motioned to the sound crew to turn him down!

I guess on BB they had more time to do overdubs than was the case on FF.

i was under the Assumption that Ronnie was sober for Licks?
2nd September 2007 06:25 PM
Wide As The Clyde I'm just glad it came along. It's been a long time since there's been a Stones live video. If they'd left it much longer it might have clashed with the release of the next live video, or it's accompanying live album.
2nd September 2007 06:29 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

i was under the Assumption that Ronnie was sober for Licks?

He had his moments. General consensus appears to be favourable in the US leg, with much more inconsistency by the time they got to Europe.

Have to say, at the 9 shows I saw in Britain & Ireland in August/September 2003, he was very good, with Wembley Arena 29.8.03 being not only a high point, but the best Stones show I've ever seen.
2nd September 2007 06:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Wide As The Clyde wrote:
I'm just glad it came along. It's been a long time since there's been a Stones live video. If they'd left it much longer it might have clashed with the release of the next live video, or it's accompanying live album.

LOL..Another live video in addition to 'Shine a light'?

Well, they taped Slane both video and audio, so maybe thats for a future TV and/or radio broadcast
2nd September 2007 07:44 PM
iluvmickjagger07 i like bigger bang one better because i am in it... but just my hands and forehead
2nd September 2007 07:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
i like bigger bang one better because i am in it... but just my hands and forehead

On reflection, my all too brief appearance in FF may be the reason why IT has the edge for me, too!
2nd September 2007 11:35 PM
Bloozehound BB wins by a country mile simply because it contains one quick little scene: at the Zilker concert when Keith begins to play his 2 song set, he grabs the neck of his guitar and all this magic chalk dust flies off his hand into the dark night sky and then he just rips into that nasty-ass, buzzsaw sounding, crunchy riff of Learning the Game

That's iconic shit right there man, gives me chills everytime I see it it, Keith the Riffmaster, the Dark Prince of Rock and Roll, high up on a dark stage, emerging from a cloud of magic fairy dust, wielding a chainsaw sounding axe, wailing to a Buddy Holly song

FF ain't got nothing on that shit

[Edited by Bloozehound]
3rd September 2007 06:17 AM
Honky Tonk Man Biggest Bang is let down by the extras. Aside from one of two bits, I found it all quite boring, especially the actual tour documentary.

The shows themselves are great, especially Keiths segment from the Austin show. I'm with Gazza on Learning The Game. Fantastic performance.

3rd September 2007 06:40 AM
corgi37 Dumbest thing about Biggest Bang was it came out before the tour ended. It would have been nice to get another disc of some Euro shows, like Slane & the last U.K. show.
3rd September 2007 09:31 AM
mrhipfl I can't choose. The Rio show is the best thing out of all 8 discs even though the set was hit-heavy. The guitars are way too low and thin on the Stadium show of FF, otherwise that would have been killer. The editing is better on BB. Bad editing makes the theater show hard to watch.

I Like both equally.
3rd September 2007 09:45 AM
gimmekeef The extras in BB are why I enjoy it..laughin as Keith pushes a not so happy Charlie into a meet and greet...Keiths face on Hurricane as he makes a lame strum of the acoustic and looks like he's just finished Beethoven's 5th...Then theres the pure joy of hearing Mick say.."HERE WE GO"...At least 5 times on every song...Man talk about living the charmed life...
3rd September 2007 11:33 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Biggest Bang is let down by the extras. Aside from one of two bits, I found it all quite boring, especially the actual tour documentary.

The shows themselves are great, especially Keiths segment from the Austin show. I'm with Gazza on Learning The Game. Fantastic performance.

i think the documentry on FF is brilliant
3rd September 2007 01:24 PM
Bruno
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Do you know exactly when it happened? Because there´s a moment during "Dance" when Ronnie looks at Keith and then at Mick like "where is my guitar?"...
3rd September 2007 02:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bruno wrote:

Do you know exactly when it happened? Because there´s a moment during "Dance" when Ronnie looks at Keith and then at Mick like "where is my guitar?"...

I'd need to plough through the archives to summer 2003 and find the reviews and I cant be arsed, to be honest.

seemed that the main problems were in the first few songs. If you watch the DVD, theres very few close ups of Ronnie playing during this show. Some careful editing and directing, I suppose.

Somehow or another they managed to make it work. Its a great show.
3rd September 2007 02:10 PM
Gazza Review of Olympia here..see MoonisUp's comments
http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/07-23-2003/158562-2.html

presumably Mathijs must have posted his in another thread, but its also on IORR

Here : http://www.iorr.org/tour03/paris3.htm

3rd September 2007 06:59 PM
CousinC Thanx, Gazza!

It's easy to mix it all up a bit after all this . .

3rd September 2007 07:47 PM
andrews27 I prefer the Rio and Asia portions of BB to most of Austin. Keith in that headscarf wrapping up his bald pate looks like Peter O'Toole playing the syphlitic old Roman emperor Tiberius in Bob Guccione's Caligula, where Tiberius wears an insane black mop wig tied on with a spangled scarf, and it's always cockeyed. Except that Keith puts on that look while wearing an insane old man's duck hunting jacket, like Ed Gein's.

The stages are more exciting in Rio and Asia, and some of the film editing and mixing/overdub is more enjoyable. It's something of a crime that this better looking footage isn't letterboxed, while that Austin junk is. Take a look at Keith in just the first two songs from Rio and listen to him play - apparently he's still got something to prove there.

[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
4th September 2007 11:03 PM
Bruno
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Review of Olympia here..see MoonisUp's comments
http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/07-23-2003/158562-2.html

presumably Mathijs must have posted his in another thread, but its also on IORR

Here : http://www.iorr.org/tour03/paris3.htm

Thanks a lot!

I like Ronnie´s final solo in Hand Of Fate. His slide in No Expectations works for me too. Both should be louder.
[Edited by Bruno]
4th September 2007 11:32 PM
Lethargy I've said this before and I still believe it...The Stones - our beloved boys - jumped the shark. Not with this tour, but the previous tour. The 3 different shows concept by itself was amazing, but so were the club gigs, the stadium gigs, the arena gigs on their own merit. After that, the ABB tour was a bit anti-climatic for me, although at least there was a new album out there. Still, it was jut the usual stadium shindig this time around, which was disappointing. I thought that clubs and arenas (even if expensive) was a new theme for them going forward. Turns out it was a one-off tour. Mick doing That's How Strong My Love Is in a club was the defining moment, and even Starfucker in the stadium gig, plus Mick with moraccas and Ronnie soloing during CYHMT.

The recent European setlists were pretty impressive, but besides that, I think this is a dud compared to the tour that ended up being Four Flicks.
5th September 2007 06:19 AM
ListenToTheLion quote: "Too much is repeated, but hey, 4 DVDs of the Stones is much better than one or even none at all!"

Complete bullshit. If these guys have nothing new to offer they can better save us their rubbish.
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
5th September 2007 08:53 PM
gorda I think I'll go out and buy it this weekend.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)