ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Congratulations Cucho, a second edition! Now printed in Spain
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Four Flicks vs Biggest Bang Return to archive Page: 1 2
31st August 2007 05:59 AM
Jumacfly Hi there

After a few hours watching BB, I think FF is better.
the concept of 3 different shows with nice setlists is far better than the BB's one.
BB will now join Bridges to babylon dvd in the closet..

BB is like watching the same songs performed in different places, and I think there's only a limited interest in this boxset.

1/too much overdubs too(the 2 versions of GOOMC are so different)but a better guitar sound(rawer than on FF)...better sound but much more messy!!

2/Same old songs with You got me rocking considered as a classic...ouchh!!2 Miss You versions as well, and a second zone Rambler compared to the MSG version which is may be one of the best ever....Why,why???
Tumbling Dice has improved on this tour IMHO.

3/ the extras are a little bit better (I can t be satisfied ), but some parts really sucks : Cherry Blossoms, Ciu Juan LOL...WTF???

Develloping may be??
[Edited by Jumacfly]
31st August 2007 06:27 AM
Monkeytonkman I agree.

I deliberatly didn't watch the new DVD, till the end of the tour, so i could sit back and reflect on a greatr summer, travelling and watching the Stones. The day after the last O2 gig, i sat down with mates to watch it, and although i enjoyed it, I found myself self comparing it to Four Flicks and felt that FF came out on top, for all the reasons you mention.

Also, the promotion blurb states that the new documentary is already being hailed as the best documentary ever about the band. I don't think it was better than the one on FF, and what about 25x5?
31st August 2007 07:13 AM
egon i'll wait till it's on sale, which i guess will be soon.
31st August 2007 07:18 AM
Moonisup FF is way better. I really dislike the docu on BB, it's not a real docu, just some snaps from the tour with some lame rs.com movies. That docu is a real missed opportunity, they could have included some interviews with the backing members, roadies, who do a lot of work.

31st August 2007 07:58 AM
Gazza Four Flicks is better for the variety in the types of shows that Ju mentions.

Presentation and content wise, ABB simply wasnt as interesting a tour or concept to warrant four discs. Too much is repeated, but hey, 4 DVDs of the Stones is much better than one or even none at all!

However, I'll take that rendition of 'Learning the Game' from Austin over anything else on either release. An absolutely jawdroppingly beautiful performance.

An absolute outrage that this song wasn't played again
31st August 2007 08:03 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Four Flicks is better for the variety in the types of shows that Ju mentions.

Presentation and content wise, ABB simply wasnt as interesting a tour or concept to warrant four discs. Too much is repeated, but hey, 4 DVDs of the Stones is much better than one or even none at all!

However, I'll take that rendition of 'Learning the Game' from Austin over anything else on either release. An absolutely jawdroppingly beautiful performance.

An absolute outrage that this song wasn't played again

yes, great song, and the rehearsal footage from austin is also great to see!
31st August 2007 08:55 AM
Mr Jurkka Twickenham beats Zilker park .. and docu in BB isn't that good than in FF.. FF docu is like footage from the early begin of the tour and really is very interesting! I watched it many times.. but in BB docu it is quite empty.
31st August 2007 08:59 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

yes, great song, and the rehearsal footage from austin is also great to see!

Yes it is,"Learning the game" is a great song from Austin.
Regarding the Argentinian sutff, it's a pity they didn t included more songs from these shows on the dvd...
The audience shots from Austin are also very lame, but they may help for the overdubs
31st August 2007 09:25 AM
gimmekeef I really spend little time watching either to be honest.Overall FF is better because it was first a great concept of 4 discs of Stones.ABB just seems a return to that with less impact.The crowd in Buenos Aires during Satisfaction makes ABB worthwhile to me....Any time a friend asks why does anyobe bother seeing the Stones anymore....give em a drink and play that....
31st August 2007 10:24 AM
Poison Dart BB is far too repetitive. Do I need yet another live version of "Start me Up"?
[Edited by Poison Dart]
31st August 2007 10:41 AM
Bob Tamp To me, the sound quality of BB blows FF out of water. Now if the sound quality of FF matched BB-that would be a treat. I can barely hear Ronnie on FF especially in the theater show. WTF?
31st August 2007 10:56 AM
Saint Sway the whole concept of 4 dvd tour boxes is great. Especially for the low price of $28. Far and away the coolest thing they've done in the last 20 years. Easily the most fan friendly item.

next up I'd like to see them put out some vintage dvd box. My idea is a 4 box from 71-73. It could have Ladies & Gentelman, Brussells and one other with a 4th disc mixed of vintage and current interviews about the era.

31st August 2007 10:59 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the whole concept of 4 dvd tour boxes is great. Especially for the low price of $28. Far and away the coolest thing they've done in the last 20 years. Easily the most fan friendly item.

next up I'd like to see them put out some vintage dvd box. My idea is a 4 box from 71-73. It could have Ladies & Gentelman, Brussells and one other with a 4th disc mixed of vintage and current interviews about the era.

fuckin great idea, a box with a 72 show,one from 75, one from 78 and a remastered hampton 81 would be fantastic!!!
31st August 2007 11:04 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

fuckin great idea, a box with a 72 show,one from 75, one from 78 and a remastered hampton 81 would be fantastic!!!

actually I'd rather they continued to do the 4 dvd boxes but focus them each on one seperate era.

put out a 71-73 era box and then a "Woody years" 75-81 box

I think the one other tour that was varied enough for them to put out a lone box from a tour was the Voodoo one. It could have 2 seperate Voodoo shows, 1 of the Stripped shows and 1 documentary dvd - which they could cull from all the Vh1 special interviews, pay-per-view interviews and stripped footage.
31st August 2007 02:16 PM
Poplar
overall, maybe FF has better content...

but Zilker is the best looking, best shot show they've released in the modern era (16x9, HD, etc). the FF shows can't touch it.

31st August 2007 02:26 PM
Jaggedblues I love the ABB set but I do prefer FF over ABB. 3 shows are better than 2. I really wish on ABB they had included the entire Phoenix club gig instead of just a couple teaser songs. I wonder if too many of the casual 40 Licks type fans complained they didn't know enough of the songs on the Olympia dvd so the band felt they had to make the new set almost all warhorse heavy.
31st August 2007 02:27 PM
Dan I scribbled out a review somewhere that I was going to put up but never really finished watching it.

It looks amazing on my 25 year old TV that hasn't been cleaned in a year.

The documentary has some really nice footage, especially the Buenos Aires rain show but for the most part comes off like a bad infomercial.

The overdubs on Austin are atrocious. Would have liked one the Buenos Aires shows as a substitution for Rio.
31st August 2007 02:34 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the whole concept of 4 dvd tour boxes is great. Especially for the low price of $28. Far and away the coolest thing they've done in the last 20 years. Easily the most fan friendly item.

It is a great concept, but apart from Licks, it isnt really spread enough to carry it off from one tour.

Very fan-friendly indeed (well, if youre in North America..It literally IS the price of 4 DVDs everywhere else) FF for me is the most essential release theyve done post-"Some Girls". 'Buggest bang' is certainly worth getting too of course.

Agree with what you said about the vintage box being a great concept. We can only dream.
31st August 2007 02:36 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
To me, the sound quality of BB blows FF out of water. Now if the sound quality of FF matched BB-that would be a treat. I can barely hear Ronnie on FF especially in the theater show. WTF?

Thats because he was off his tits that night and Mick quite visibily motioned to the sound crew to turn him down!

I guess on BB they had more time to do overdubs than was the case on FF.
31st August 2007 02:44 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thats because he was off his tits that night and Mick quite visibily motioned to the sound crew to turn him down!

I guess on BB they had more time to do overdubs than was the case on FF.

My sources tell me with the extra time now for Shine A Light...the working title is.."Rub A Dub Dub"
31st August 2007 05:11 PM
tumbling dice
Four Flicks got more impact on me,because it got a lot of songs never realized.Sometimes the final mix was´t that good.Chuck was all over...Biggest Bang was well mixed,the guitars are loud!Rio show is great(i was there),the band was on fire.Austin got too much overdubs and the band performance was ok but not outstanding.The documentary is very good and the Argentina takes are very emotional.I love when Keith got a voodoo in the stage before go on in a rainy night in Buenos Aires(I was there!) and the crowd went in trance..
31st August 2007 05:38 PM
pdog in a death cage match I would go with Four flicks... it has Easter Eggs and alt. viewing options... the new one doesn't as far as I know.
31st August 2007 05:47 PM
fireontheplatter i have picked abb apart more than anything and now i am reduced to listening to certain sections and songs i know well.
i have to be completly off my gord to listen to...oh god. where was that song again.

i enjoy the ron wood painting the stage part and especially the miss you song from argintena

i mean...overall both box sets are well done.

i always like to blast off during sympathy for the devil...now thats a killer

end of story
31st August 2007 06:38 PM
guitarman53 I haven't seen ABB yet, but I loved FF, I can't understand why they would do a repeat in a box set, FF comes from 2002/03 then ABB comes from 2005/06, & both were more or less a greatest hits tour, I guess they must have thought they improved from FF tour, & decided to do another box set, to be honest I'd rather watch "Gimme Shelter" that is far more interesting, it's a documentary about the way life was in '69, why do a box set of another repeat, is it for the money?
31st August 2007 06:55 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:
in a death cage match I would go with Four flicks... it has Easter Eggs and alt. viewing options... the new one doesn't as far as I know.

I thought ABB was seriously missing the selectable viewing option, especially for the pyro.
31st August 2007 07:00 PM
steel driving hammer So,

Visually = FF.

Musically = BB.

Howe about Sexually or Philosophically?
31st August 2007 07:11 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I haven't seen ABB yet, but I loved FF, I can't understand why they would do a repeat in a box set, FF comes from 2002/03 then ABB comes from 2005/06, & both were more or less a greatest hits tour, I guess they must have thought they improved from FF tour, & decided to do another box set, to be honest I'd rather watch "Gimme Shelter" that is far more interesting, it's a documentary about the way life was in '69, why do a box set of another repeat, is it for the money?

times change, but the facination stays

go now and buy yourself a copy.

how can you be so honest if you haven't seen abb box set yet?
31st August 2007 07:24 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
times change, but the facination stays

Yes great tune!

Face the music, face the truth,

Chase that fleet sweet bird of youth,

Grow up sweetly, grow up strong,

Hear the heartbeat, in my song...

Thanks for the smile.
31st August 2007 08:16 PM
CousinC I like both of them.

BB has great moments! Particulaly the Argentinian stuff!

And the mix is better than FF. Still not the best to me!

Glad I have it!!
31st August 2007 09:45 PM
glencar
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

Yes great tune!

Face the music, face the truth,

Chase that fleet sweet bird of youth,

Grow up sweetly, grow up strong,

Hear the heartbeat, in my song...

Thanks for the smile.

I thought I had put that CD in my SUV but I'd put in She's The Boss instead. How disappointing...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)