ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour!
Bradley Center, Milwaukee - 8th September 2005
Đ 2005 Tom Lynn with special thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Bridges to Babylon" Is Better Than "A Bigger Bang" Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 7th, 2005 06:14 PM
maumau i do like ABB better than Bridges and VL.
not A LOT better, it is not a masterpiece of any sort
but i think it is a step ahead, at least for me
i don't know if someone here aims at objectivity. like "the truth about ABB being a crock of shit".
me not.
how i measure this feeling? (i agree Voodoo it is just that feel, or it is nothing)
well i've listened a lot to ABB these days and went back to VL and to B2B but also to IORR and Emotional rescue and Undercover and I kind of rooted a bit more my feelings about the new album.
As i like mixing RS songs of every era to listen to while I travel by train, in my car, at work etc i found myself counting how many songs i'd like AT THIS MOMENT to pick from each of these lp to carry with me. (i think ABB can play on this league not at all in the league of the big four-five, and never expected it could)
So i realized there are more songs coming out from ABB than for example VL (that i have to say i don't particularly like and like better the outtakes and be sides of it) or B2B (i got tired of Out of control, i don't like the ballads - as i don't like ABB ballads a part from LIND, i enjoy keith's stuff and too tight).
I think that the Rolling Stone review, though it is too praising and a littlle bit "stoned" hits a point when it compares ABB with Emotional rescue. While it has different flavours it has, imo, the same mood > a couple of funkies (ER's being better than ABB's) the blues, the straight in the face rock and rollers. All being not profound but on the surface (that being a mark of late stones and not necessarily a weakness).
It stroke me how, AT THIS MOMENT, i don't dig at all IORR. Don't like at all the ballads. Hate time waits for no one, exspecially the drowling solos. I find fingerprint cool as a trademark of the seventies but not so groovy. and the rockers well i do prefer any ABB rocker versus Dance little sister (i find it very "contemporary stones" in the worst way like a YGMR's grandma). Luxury stands out always and IYCRM and IORR are always grooving.
So this is how I am incorporating ABB in my "second class" stones catalog. And I think it fits really well.
As you can see i don't like very much the "crap/fucking arsome" argument. it's a drag
September 7th, 2005 06:28 PM
pdog
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
Take the best songs off both:

B2B:

Too Tight
Out of Control
Saint of Me
You Don't Have to Mean It

ABB:

Oh No, Not You Again
Back of My Hand

Let's face it gang, "A Bigger Bang" is the weakest Stones album ever released. Ever. It is worse than Dirty Work, it is worse than Emotional Rescue, it is worse than Steel Wheels, it is worse than Voodoo Lounge, and yes, it is worse than Bridges to Babylon.

By the way, Sir Stonesalot, kudos on your solid review of the album. Honesty is the best policy, even on a fan-board like this one. Well done. You made it OK to criticize the Stones without being jumped on. The fact remains that the Stones still have the best back catalog in music, and the crap they just released does not change that.

The fact that 99% of the people on this board worship the Stones, and the album reviews have been mostly mediocre, is a very scary thing. I think FEMA may have put forth a better effort than Mick and Keith did in the studio for this one...

I don't worship The Stones, I enjoy them alot. If you don't, that's your thing. Maybe you like bear and someone else likes wine. It's matter of personal enjoyment, not fan worship. You can be a real dick too! But that's also your choice.
September 7th, 2005 06:34 PM
gotdablouse This is probably one of the worst threads I can recall in my time here, the guy is such an obvious troll, dude, get a life.
September 7th, 2005 06:39 PM
Soldatti What the hell is a Keith song?
Get a life people.

For me 50% of this album is pure Jagger/Richards but with a MODERN (again MODERN) sound, we're in 2005 people, check the calendar because 1972 or 1978 was a long time ago.

The Black Crowes? Give me a break, thank god that the Stones didn't follow that way, I don't want at the best rock band playing for a bunch of old dunk poople in a bar.
September 7th, 2005 07:14 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Bridges is a 1000x better than Bang.

and Bridges is a bottom of the barrel Stones album at best.

keeping your streak alive of being wrong on ABSOLUTELY all points

September 7th, 2005 07:32 PM
Gazza The best two Rolling Stones albums since "Tattoo You" have been the most recent ones.

With an 8 year gap in between, its stretching it a bit to say "theyre on a roll" but I happen to love both records and have done since I first heard them (unusual for me for a Stones record).

BTB is a bloody fine album. Bang (at the moment) to me is a little bit better.
September 7th, 2005 07:46 PM
CraigP Oh No, Not You Again, Rough Justice and Driving too Fast kick ass... Better than any shit off of Bridges. I do think VL might be better in my opinion.
September 7th, 2005 10:20 PM
quackenbush I really like this album, and it is better than Bridges to Babylon, but they both have a problem in common. They are too long. "A Bigger Bang" could have been a near masterpiece if they whittled the songs down to about 9 or ten songs. Less is more after all.

Here are the songs I would have kept:

Rough Justice
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Back of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
This Place is Empty (I would drop this in favor of Infamy)
Oh No Not You Again
Laugh I Nearly Died (love this song)
Look What the Cat Dragged In
Driving Too Fast (not too sure about this one)
Infamy
[Edited by quackenbush]
September 8th, 2005 12:12 AM
exile This is obviously the only way jcdesq can get attention in his life.

that is very sad.

this is an idiotic thread
September 8th, 2005 03:30 AM
ListenToTheLion Bridges to Babylon is almost forgotten. An album that has faded. Mediocre and colourless.
September 8th, 2005 03:43 AM
2000monkey I keep hearing this album should have been shorter and that doesn't wash at all. Like getting over an hour of new music from the Stones is a bad thing. 64 minutes doesn't even use all the cd space. I would have gladly taken another 15 minutes. Clue- you don't have to play the whole thing at once. Like a book or a dvd you can put it down and return to it later. As soon as you start editing, another person will tell you that's his favorite song.
September 8th, 2005 04:21 AM
marko What the hell is a Keith song?

Mate,i think you KNOW Keiths style,donīt you?

In my opinion,it isnīt on this album.He plays there ok,but
his way/style of writing music isnīt on this album.Ļ
Even its the stones of 2005,it doesnīt change the fact.

Just admit guys,somethings missing from keiths side.

I still love the cd.
September 8th, 2005 04:49 AM
maumau 2000monkey
sure you can pause
but the problem imo is not that
just because you can fill a cd with 80mins of music you don't HAVE TO
choice is not a matter of quantity but of quality.
i am sure that all of the people, me included, that here say that ABB would have been really something as solid as SG or TY if only they cut it down to 10/12 songs, will choose different songs to keep or cut
the point is that choosing is meant to give consistency
if you don't choose you might have a problem of consistency
I think ABB (as VL and BTB - this one to a lesser degree) has
Unless you think that Mick and Keith creativity is untouched and could write another masterpiece in any moment(which i don't think), choice, imo, becomes necessary.
Imo there are 40/45 minutes of very good rs music on ABB
as it is on ER or SG or B&B
on those albums, i think, you can't find a filler or worse
maybe they're not their greatest but they're consistent
September 8th, 2005 05:34 AM
IanBillen

"the album reviews have been mostly mediocre"???

I also strongly dis-agree. Actually, I know better. The reviews from nearly every single magazine have been from good to excellent with most on the excellent side of it. I think you gotta re-evaluate that statement.

Ian
September 8th, 2005 05:44 AM
IanBillen [quote]exile wrote:
This is obviously the only way jcdesq can get attention in his life.

that is very sad.

this is an idiotic thread

Exile. I don't know if I call a thread idiotic just because it totally trashes this album. The dude has a right to his opinion. But I will say it seems a few of us get off by saying this album sucks and I surely am not gonna judge anyone but a few of these brash opinions on this album seem forced. What was idiotic was the praise to Sir-Stonesalot for giving this album a weak review (regardless of what he says his review is saying, we know what we read), n ot because SS doesn't care for it but because this thread acts like this is the cool thing to say since most folks here really dig the album. It appears that this is the revolt to ABB. I think it is a solid album. I haven't had enough time to rate it among any other Stones albums....and I don't plan on it. What I hear is a solid album with alot of in-your-face Rock Funk based stuff. I sure ain't gonna complain. If I had to make one comparison to another album I think Jagger seems more authentically into this one than he has since Undercover

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
September 8th, 2005 06:03 AM
blackandblue The problem is Stonesalot thinks he is the king of this board and his disciples are licking his boots.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)