ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the European Tour - Rai-Halle, Amsterdam - 9 October, 1970
By Henry Diltz - with special thanks to Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Clapton wanted to join the Stones, but Keith said.... Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-04-03 03:27 PM
Jaxx Clapton 'wanted to join Stones'

Eric Clapton was once desperate to join the Rolling Stones, band member Keith Richards has said. But the guitarist and singer would never have been accepted by the Stones because he is "too lazy", Richards said.

Clapton: "Too lazy", according to Richards

He said Clapton had recently revealed how much he wanted to join when the group lost guitarist Mick Taylor in 1974.

Richards told Mojo magazine Clapton had expected the group to call him.

Richards is one of rock's most celebrated guitarists

"Eric wanted to jump in after Mick Taylor, but never did say so," he said.

"There are certain guys that are band players and there's certain guys that ain't. If there's anybody lazier than me, it's Eric."

Clapton played blues-influenced guitar with bands such as The Yardbirds and Cream before beginning a solo career.

Richards and fellow Stones Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts are nearing the end of the European leg of their Licks world tour.

During the UK shows they are showing their concern for the environment by becoming the first group to stage a carbon-neutral tour in Britain.

A scheme devised by the Future Forests group measures carbon dioxide emissions from a concert and then plants enough trees to counteract it.

09-04-03 03:30 PM
Boomy Seems like the last couple of years Keith has nothing good to say about people he knows.
09-04-03 03:37 PM
Joey Wish everybody would leave me alone -yeah
They're always calling on my telephone ;
When I pick it up there's no one there
So I walk outside just to take the air .

Come on with me cruising down the street
Who knows what you'll see, who you might meet ;
This brave new world's not like yesterday -
It can take you higher than the milky way .

Now I'm blinded I can't really see - yeah
No more bright lights confusing me - no ;
Don't ask me why I'm feeling blue
Cause loving you is all I can do .

Hey Stones boys / girls - gather around
The sidewalk papers gutter-press you down ;
All those lies can be so unkind,
They can make you feel like you're losing your mind.

Street Life.............Party with Joey
What a Life ............Go Huskers over Lions

Back to nature boys - Vasser girls too
Watch what you say, or think, or do ;
Continental-style strasse girls might
But you know exactly if it's wrong or right .

Education is an important key - yes
But the good life's never won by degrees - no ;
Pointless passing through Harvard or Yale
Only window shopping - it's strictly no sale .

Week end starts Friday soon after eight
Your jet black magic helps you celebrate ;
You may be stranded if you stick around
- And that's really something...

-- Thank You

The Jercee !
09-04-03 03:37 PM
steel driving hammer Cuaaaaaaaaaaaaaael meeeeee Lazybonzs.
09-04-03 03:44 PM
Jaxx JOey "Street Life.............Party with Joey
Street Life.............Party with Joey "

NOW i'm inspired.

in omaha is a guy named joey
who insists on acting too showy
in the wake of his flood,
his computer crashed with a thud
so he got his Rocks Off acting "ho"-ey

09-04-03 03:52 PM
jb If Keith was threatened by Mick T, I can't even imagine how clapton would ever be allowed in.
09-04-03 03:52 PM
Joey " in omaha is a guy named joey
who insists on acting too showy
in the wake of his flood,
his computer crashed with a thud
so he got his Rocks Off acting "ho"-ey "

You make young Joey sniggle .

JJJJJJJJJJercee !
09-04-03 03:59 PM
Jaxx
quote:
jb wrote:
If Keith was threatened by Mick T, I can't even imagine how clapton would ever be allowed in.

i don't know if a riff man can allow himself to be intimidated by a brilliant lead guitarist. you'd think a riffman would thrive in that situation. i don't keith is threatened or intimidated by anyone. i also think hindsight is 20/20 altho claptons obvious talent was no secret-- even back then.
[Edited by Jaxx]
09-04-03 04:00 PM
jb In hindsight Jaxx, we could have been quite a pair!!!
09-04-03 04:02 PM
Jaxx i don't know, jb, i might be too tall or too brunette for you.
09-04-03 04:03 PM
Boomy I don't know, doesn't it seem like sometimes Keith just acts like an old fart?

He still acts like he has this "tough guy" image...give it up. You're playing for the CEO's in the front row.
09-04-03 04:07 PM
jb NO Jaxx, just right..by the way, still waiting for your congratulations on my 5k post!
Boomhauer, I couldn't agree with you more..Keith comes off as really fake and somewhat embarrassing with these staged comments.
09-04-03 04:09 PM
steel driving hammer Well Keith is the toughest guy in rock and roll ain't he.
09-04-03 04:12 PM
jb Not anymore SDH...he, not Mick, is a parody of himself. Jagger always wins.
09-04-03 04:12 PM
Boomy I don't know, Steelie. The damage that he incurred was caused by himself. But, he did have a daughter that died when she was an infant, and I think he probably had to toughen up during that period.

Other wise, I just think that his image is a bit overrated. He's a good guitarist..not a great as he used to be. But the "tough guy" thing...he put that all on himself.
09-04-03 04:18 PM
jb Keith is bald, has developed a pot belly, has a wardrobe right out of Queer nation, and no longer plays a mean guitar.
09-04-03 04:23 PM
Jaxx JB"still waiting for your congratulations on my 5k post!"

LMAO. you're kidding right? i thought everyone knew my disdain for the art of flooding...

BOOMY:"I don't know, doesn't it seem like sometimes Keith just acts like an old fart?
He still acts like he has this "tough guy" image...give it up. You're playing for the CEO's in the front row."

acts like an old fart? IS, baby, IS. he's pushing sixty and he's severely abused his body. i think he's lucky to get through the grueling tour schedule they've had. if he can party and go on to play as well as he does in concert, all the power to him. IMO, they're all parodys of themselves-- CEOS in the front row, indeed. where are my anti social renegades?
09-04-03 04:27 PM
Boomy By "old fart", I meant that he's acting like a crab apple lately, and he's got it so good. Just play the damn music. I don't know, maybe he's starting to become more economical..trying to get in the news to sell more Stones albums. I mean, Mick isn't the only one that charges people to see them..
09-04-03 04:29 PM
jb Flooding, no Jaxx, that only happens in Missouri..
09-04-03 04:30 PM
Jaxx the tour i bet has gotten old by now. you need alot of stamina to do what they've been doing for as long as they've been doing it. i'd be crabby too. i'd want to chillout and veg in my house on my own couch. its the little things we nonfolk take for granted that is so precious to these high profile types.

LOL, JB. you crack me up. flooding, no, indeed. voodoochile doesn't even have 5K worth of posts and look at all the information he's doled out and all the pix, video and audio clips he's shared with us. tell, me, what have you shared? on second thought, please don't! LOL
[Edited by Jaxx]
09-04-03 04:34 PM
jb Like spending time with one's secretary.
09-04-03 04:43 PM
steel driving hammer Did Keith say Clapton is a lazy ass recently, or 30 years ago?
09-04-03 04:43 PM
Joey " LOL, JB. you crack me up. flooding, no, indeed. voodoochile doesn't even have 5K worth of posts and look at all the information he's doled out and all the pix, video and audio clips he's shared with us. tell, me, what have you shared? "

Yeah , What she said !

And now , I have the unmitigated cheek and the unprecedented gall to present THIS :

Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack *** SKITTLES *** Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack *** BUNNY *** Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jack Jo Ja Joe Jac Jacky

|
|
|
|
|
V
09-04-03 04:46 PM
jb Speaking of Vodoo, he ,like you, has been conspicuosly absent as of late. Finally , Gazza has stepped up to the plate to carry forward with the shows in London.
09-04-03 04:49 PM
Joey

I am gaining on you Josh !
09-04-03 04:52 PM
jb Yes Joey, within 3 months you shall also reach the 5k milestone. Just in time for Channukah!!!
09-04-03 04:55 PM
Joey " Just in time for Channukah!!! "

I thought that was October 1st .

Oh , wait ....that is Roshashanna !

Rabbi Joe
09-04-03 06:16 PM
glencar Clapton's as dull as jb - er, dishwater. I'm glad he was lazy. I like some of his stuff but I wouldn't like the Stones as much with him there.
09-04-03 06:41 PM
Boomy Keef Rules!!!
09-04-03 09:07 PM
Diedre Wasn't Clapton a friend of Mick's? Maybe that's why Keith didn't like him -- it seems that that was a problem with Mick Taylor, too. Not that there are other, perfectly good reasons not to like Eric Clapton, particularly in context of the Stones or any group situation. It's true that Clapton is really more of a solo guy. I mean, he left the Yardbirds for doing "For Your Love," because it was pop and not blues, then went on to do some of the most treacly pop around as a solo artist.

Lay off Keith. He looks pretty good to me. He's still fairly thin, isn't as bald as many guys half his age, and I like his wardrobe and make-up (queer nation -- sheesh, you could say that about Mick, too, and about 75% of arena rockers). Plus, his face is cool, in weatherbeaten old American Indian kind of way. And he can even play guitar not half-bad on a good night.
Page: 1 2