ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the European Tour - Rai-Halle, Amsterdam - 9 October, 1970
By Henry Diltz - with special thanks to Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hey SS -- were you in Ohio recently? Return to archive
09-04-03 10:21 AM
nankerphelge MOUNT HOPE, Ohio (AP) -- It's an annual prank in this tranquil Amish community, where men wear straw hats and women bonnets and plain dresses: Youngsters hide in cornfields and hurl tomatoes at passing cars.

This year, the mischief turned deadly.

A motorist who had been pelted several times on Labor Day got out of his car and fired three to five rounds into the 7-foot-high corn, killing 23-year-old Steven L. Keim.

No arrest has been made.

Residents are reeling from shock, unable to understand why anybody would retaliate so violently. Authorities say the county hadn't seen a firearm-related homicide in about three decades.

"The prank has gone on for years and years," said Marty Yoder, who owns Marty's Shoes in this town about 60 miles south of Cleveland. "All over the county it's been happening every year."

The shooting occurred just north of Mount Hope in Holmes County, where the clip-clop of horses pulling Amish buggies is just as common as the sound of passing automobiles.

Holmes County has what is believed to be the world's largest population of Amish, who do not believe in modern conveniences such as electricity and automobiles.

Keim, 23, an Apple Creek resident of Amish heritage, died of multiple wounds to the chest, Holmes County Coroner Robert Anthony said.

Keim was with about 10 other members of the Amish community, ages 15 to 23. The group told the sheriff's office they had been throwing tomatoes and firing paintball guns at passing vehicles.

The crime scene is marked by trampled corn stalks that interrupt an otherwise uniform stretch roadside corn. About eight rows into the cornfield, well hidden from the road, two buckets of rotting, fly-covered tomatoes still sat.

According to the sheriff's department, the driver of a Lincoln or Cadillac stopped, got out and threatened to shoot whoever threw the tomatoes Monday night.

The vehicle turned around and drove past the cornfield again. The car was struck with tomatoes a second time.

About 25 minutes later the vehicle passed the cornfield two more times. On a third pass, the driver stopped and challenged the group to throw more tomatoes -- then fired his shotgun into the cornfield.

The sheriff's department did not have a suspect, only a vague description of a middle-aged male of medium height.

Residents say the community will be nervous until the shooter is caught.

"People won't be resting too good until they know who it is at least," said Ivan Miller, 41. "He should be punished. The guy lost it."

Wayne Miller, an Amish man from nearby Kidron, said the young people "shouldn't have been throwing tomatoes."

"But if people start shooting people for throwing tomatoes, this country's in bad shape," he said.

Keim was born into an Amish family, but his family left the Amish church and became Mennonites, said Yoder.

Mennonites share similar beliefs with the Amish, but drive cars and use more modern conveniences.

"He was a real outgoing person, always willing to help you," Yoder said.

09-04-03 10:29 AM
Joey Great Howard Carter like find Nanky !

Nank , can you believe Riffy did not like the Steely Dan Show ????

Do you think there is something wrong with him ?????

What's wrong with being pretentious and putting on an act -- al la Pete Townshend ?

I sure hope Riffy never sees the WHO live then he will REALLY know the meaning of PRETENTIOUS !

" Psychoderelict was a nice little album Ronnie "

Jercee Joe Wolcott !
09-04-03 10:37 AM
nankerphelge I like Steely Dan and all -- but I can understand Riffy's dissatisfaction with their attitude. Fagan was always a bit snooty -- he refused to tour in the 70s because they couldn't recreate the "perfection" of their studio work on stage. Gimme a break. It was good, but it wasn't that good.

I think he was more afraid of catching a nose cold (which in his case could be fatal)

09-04-03 10:49 AM
Joey " Gimme a break. It was good, but it wasn't that good. "

You make Joey weep profusely and shit liquid ! -- Why ?!?!

Donald refused to tour because he had " stage fright " .

Nanky , do you think Fleabit and Stoney will go to Roseland in two weeks and see the Dan in concert ?

What ?!?!?!?! Oh sure , Here ya go :

www.roselandballroom.com

Snarky !
09-04-03 12:55 PM
Factory Girl someone post a Fagan pic! Hey, if the name fits???
09-04-03 01:00 PM
Joey " someone post a Fagan pic! Hey, if the name fits??? "

http://www.willlee.com/scrapbook.php?os=36&ti=52&next=1"

09-04-03 01:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot Joey...I wouldn't go to Roseland to see Steeley Dan if YOU were paying my way.

It is simple. The Dan do not ROCK. I do not go to shows featuring bands that do not rock. And hey, I offering a compliment when I consider Steeley Dan as a band. But they ain't no rock band.
09-04-03 01:23 PM
Joey " Joey...I wouldn't go to Roseland to see Steeley Dan if YOU were paying my way. "

YOU MAKE JOEY CRY LIKE BABY !!!!!!!!!!

That's it , just WAIT until the night of the 13th .

I may even send you a Bo Pellini Mask in advance .

I bet JOE PA keels over right there on the sidelines .

I pray my Huskers don't get killed .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJERCEE !
09-04-03 02:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot What is the big deal here?

I used to get shot at all the time during the Halloween prank season. I never got hit, but I was friends with more than one guy who ended the night picking buck shot or rock salt out of their hide.

Shit, you weren't doing it right if you couldn't get people to shoot at you.

All I can say is...Dude forgot to duck and cover.
09-04-03 02:45 PM
jb Down here in Liberty City people often fire shots in the air just for fun.
[Edited by jb]
09-06-03 01:58 AM
mac_daddy Joey, how about this. I just listened to it, and the two tracks ain't bad...

STEELY DAN
Debut single 1972

01 Dallas (vocal by drummer Jim Hodder)
02 Sail the Waterway

These two songs were the A and B side of Steely Dan's first release, a 1972 single which was totally ignored. Due to its commercial failure, it was left off of their debut album, and the only subsequent re-release was on a 1977 British 12" single. Becker and Fagen apparently refused to allow it to be included on the 1993 Steely Dan box set...
09-06-03 01:59 AM
mac_daddy and we have some gunshots around these parts, too.
09-06-03 02:09 AM
mac_daddy and while that Steely Dan entry is fun, the set I most excited about (from the past few days) is this one:

Bob Dylan 1984 SBD compilation

verona 29 may:
01 blowin' in the wind
02 tombstone blues
brussels 7 june:
03 girl of the north country
04 love minus zero
gothenburg 9 june
05 love minus zero
06 times they are a-changin
cologne 16 june
07 jokerman
08 just like a woman
09 i and i
10 tangled up in blue
11 love minus zero
12 simple twist of fate

rome 20 june 84
01 it ain't me, babe
02 times they are a-changin
03 leopard skin pillbox hat
04 tombstone blues
05 blowin' in the wind
barcelona 28 june (tv soundtrack source)
06 like a rolling stone
07 mr tambourine man
08 don't think twice
09 blowin' in the wind
barcelona 28 june (sbd source)
10 blowin' in the wind
grenoble 3 july
11 when you gonna wake up?
newcastle 5 july 84
12 mr tambourine man

the band:
Bass: Greg Sutton