ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the European Tour - Rai-Halle, Amsterdam - 9 October, 1970
By Henry Diltz - with special thanks to Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1976-100 Club -Sex Pistols Return to archive
09-02-03 05:37 PM
hotlicks In response to some requests from Rocks Off members about this legendary gig that ten times more people claim to have witnessed than the club actually holds, heres a short review. As I queued to get in, there was a wierd girl directly behind me in gothic make-up, who later got up on stage to sing a punk version of the Lords Prayer. Later we discovered it was Siouxie of Banshee fame on her first real gig. The club itself was crap but heaving with a motley crew of early London punks and Ramones look-a-likes. The bands? Apart from Siouxie I'm pretty sure Subway Sect played early on (allright)and of course The Clash, who were magnificent.It was a short set, but their energy was amazing,all stencilled jackets and spiky hair, punk rock personified. The crowd loved them and so did I, totally blown away. Before that we were entertained by a short scuffle on the dance floor, later said to be between Nick Kent (journalist,red corner) and Sid Vicious (roadie and soon-to-be legend, blue corner). Did Nick call him a Nancy boy? We'll never know. Oh yeah,I nearly forgot, the Sex Pistols! Well what can I say. Not much really, apart from leaving after about 15 minutes of their set. OK I grant you old JR did have a certain stage presence but really they were just loud and nothing else. What a let down. Maybe they had a bad night, maybe I had a bad night. Better to remember them on vinyl.
09-02-03 06:17 PM
Cardinal Fang Being an expert on the Sex Pistols myself, you will have to forgive my skepticism for as you have said already "10 times as many people claim to have been there then were actually" I'd say more like 100 times as many people.

So please let me ask you some SPECIFIC questions about the 100 Club show you attended. You mentioned in another thread that you saw them play with The Clash (another band I am an expert on) The Pistols & The Clash only played together at the 100 Club twice. I have one of the shows on a bootleg. Perhaps it was the show you saw ? Let's find out ?

Do you remember the month you saw them play by chance ?

The reason I ask is IF you saw the first Pistols/Clash show, there was something VERY unique about the experience. So unique that it only happend at four other shows AND IT WOULD BE SOMETHING that you WOULD remember too. Please try to remember the month you saw them play.

I'm seeing the Pistols play again tomorrow night in San Francisco. I have met memebers of both The Sex Pistols and The Clash. I got to meet Joe and talk to him for quite a while about a year before he died. I not only got an autographed copy of some pictures I had taken of him years earlier, I also had him autograph his latest album. I also had Joe autograph his latest album for a good friend of mine here. Perhaps He'll tell you all about it ?? :-) lol

Thank's in advance for any answers you might have for a die hard fan.

Now I Gotta Bail.

Later, Cardinal Fang
09-02-03 09:50 PM
FPM C10 Cardinal Fang!

Please give us a review of the show when you get back.

They are even better this year than '96.
09-04-03 01:23 PM
Gazza Jimmy - I know Denis (hotlicks) very well and I can assure you he DID see this show. Take it as read!
09-04-03 05:16 PM
MarthaMyDear I will have my review of the Pistols at the Greek Theatre posted here after the show (this Saturday)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LUCKY YOU, DENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have met Helen Killer, who used to date (date?!?!?!) Sid Vicious, and Johnny and Steve, also, and Helen went to, at least, the Winterland show and I know I've met ALOT of other people who went to the Winterland show, also!!! But, seeing Taylor at the 100 Club was EXTREMELY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have MANY PIL stories, which I will include in my review after the show on Saturday, etc., and once I even got to watch a whole Siouxsie show sitting on top of their amp on the stage (and I've watched a rather brutal PIL show standing onstage, also... It was an HONOR for BOTH SHOWS!!! lol.............. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P )!!! GREAT MEMORIES!!! Anyways, take care, PEACE, and ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]