ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the European Tour - Rai-Halle, Amsterdam - 9 October, 1970
By Henry Diltz - with special thanks to Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Glasgow. SECC Arena - 1 September - Setlist , pix and reviews Return to archive
09-01-03 08:20 AM
hotlicks On duty tonight...many thanks to Gazza...will post setlist as soon as it happens.

1. street fighting man
2. start me up
3. if you can't rock me
4. don't stop
5. bitch
6. ycagwyw
7. Rocks off
8. you got me rocking
9. Tumbling Dice
10. Nearness of You
11. Happy
12. Sympathy for the Devil
13. can you hear me knocking
14. honky tonk woman
15. satisfaction
16. Mannish Boy (B Stage)
17. It's Only rock and roll (B Stage)
18. Brown Sugar (B Stage)
19. Encore: Jumping Jack Flash

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
09-01-03 02:22 PM
hotlicks SOUND CHECK.
Bitch (x 3 times)
Rocks off
Nearness of you
Wild horses
It's only rock and roll
[Edited by Gazza]
09-01-03 02:23 PM
hotlicks There IS a B stage!
09-01-03 02:58 PM
MarthaMyDear HI,
DENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT WAS
********** GREAT ********** MEETING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND
YOUR SON'S GIRLFRIEND!!! TELL EVERYONE I SAID "HI!!!", OK.,
AND ********** ESPECIALLY ********** TELL GARY (WHEN YOU CAN)
THAT I SAID "HI!!!" AND THAT THE SETLIST DESERVES A "LAUREL
AND HARDY NOD" SO FAR, IMHO, AND I HOPE YOU BOTH ENJOY THE
SHOW SO HAVE FUN, TAKE CARE, AND KEEP ROCKIN'!!!
PEACE AND DO ROCK ON!!!
lol.................. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I WISH I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT, HAVE FUN ANYWAYS!!!
lol.................. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Anyways, PEACE, TAKE CARE, and DO
ROCK ON!!! lol..................
ENJOY THE SHOW!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
09-01-03 04:09 PM
hotlicks Roma,Colin,Becks and myself all say "BOUT YE"(HOW ARE YOU In ULSTERSPEAK). Glad you got home safe n sound,it was great meeting you and the rest of the rocks off gang.......
09-01-03 04:23 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Gazza just reported he's having a great time!!!
09-01-03 04:24 PM
hotlicks -On with the show.......
street fighting man
start me up
if you can't rock me
don't stop
bitch
ycagwyw
09-01-03 05:00 PM
hotlicks Rocks off
you got me rocking
Tumbling Dice
Nearness of You
Happy
Sympathy for the Devil

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
09-01-03 05:50 PM
hotlicks can you hear me knocking
honky tonk woman
satisfaction

B Stage
Mannish Boy
It's Only rock and roll
Brown Sugar

Encore
Jumping Jack Flash

Gazza's comments: Excellent Show

I am off to bed to see if I can get rid of this bad cold. I must have caught it from Mick!
09-01-03 05:53 PM
hotlicks you got me rocking after rocks off
19 songs in total
09-01-03 05:57 PM
montana thank you hotlicks!!!!
09-01-03 06:19 PM
hotlicks Mini review from gazza
GREAT SHOW,VERY EASY 2 get to b-stage, noisy crowd(glas crowd noisy.....never). sound bounced a bit at times esp early on, stones exc,crap venue!!!!
09-01-03 07:39 PM
MarthaMyDear Well, BOUT YE to you and Gary and Roma and Colin and Becks,
ALSO!!! I'm glad Gazza
enjoyed the show and I hope he gets well SOON!!!
I'm doing very well here at home
(STILL HAVEN'T UNPACKED YET 'cause I got me a brand new cell
phone and am obsessed with the dang thing... lol.......... :P
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
But, I will later on!!!
)!!!

Anyways, take care, Dennis, and I'll talk to you soon!!!
THANK YOU FOR THE SET LIST POSTING!!! EXCELLENT JOB!!!
Anyways, TAKE CARE, PEACE, AND
DO ROCK ON!!! TAKE
CARE!!!

*** Martha ***
09-01-03 10:25 PM
Madafaka Nice setlist!
Thnx
09-01-03 11:03 PM
mac_daddy ycagwyw and cyhmk and nearness and mannish boy...

it seems as if the shows are getting better on this home stretch, if also maybe a bit shorter (which might be the key)...

it's wonderful to hear the band is finishing up on a high note.
09-02-03 07:41 AM
UGot2Rollme It's too bad they're not delivering the 21 song set like they were in N. America, though. Why do you think that is?

a) end of tour and Jagger's tired
b) ticket prices in US much higher than Europe
c) US fans more demanding
d) none of above...?

09-02-03 09:21 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl All of the above
09-02-03 09:25 AM
montana a few small pix:

http://www.lfi.co.uk/scripts/kws30pre.exe?site=LFI&picktype=GfxOnly&type=GfxOnly&maxhits=12&FLFA_FIELD=&SEARCH_FILTERA=&search=LFLON+003144&hmessage=THE%20ROLLING%20STONES%20LIVE%20IN%20SCOTLAND&submit=lsearch
09-02-03 09:41 AM
montana more pix

[Edited by montana]
[Edited by montana]
09-02-03 10:58 AM
Gazza Just got back home for a night before Hotlicks and myself head over to "Glesga" for tomorrow night's show

The Stones put on what I thought was a pretty solid performance. To be honest, any arena concert following last Friday's wonder show at Wembley is always going to suffer by comparison but for anyone seeing the band for the first time this tour,I'm sure they'd have been delighted by what they got.

No real surprises in the setlist apart from the running order (there was NO "classic album" theme and "You got me rocking" was switched to a middle part of the show,where it fits better instead of being played near the beginning,a place I dont think it merits). It worked well. A bit of a surprise to get both "Sympathy" and "YCAGWYW" in an arena - both went down a treat. they used the "freeway" backdrop for "YCAGWYW" thats normally used for slow tracks like "love in vain" or "wild horses". Strange that they soundchecked "Wild horses" and then failed to play it - maybe we'll get it on wednesday.

I had floor tickets and figured I'd have to be very early to get a decent place. I was doubly surprised to get into the venue at 7.15 pm to find that not only was there a b-stage (after all the talk for the last couple of months that this would not be the case) but that I was easily able to walk right up to Keith's side and position mysel;f at the corner of the b-stage with just one person between myself and the barrier. wasnt even that much of a crush at all later on when the band DID come down for the mini-set.

A very enthusiastic crowd (more so than London) and in good humour (Mick congratulated them on their singing by saying "you could hear that all the way back in Edinburgh - which generated good natured boos at the mention of the capital city...!)

I've never liked the venue I have to admit and its a pity such a great concert city doesnt have a better one. yes, its pretty big but the sightlines from the side arent great (its very wide instead of being long) and the sound bounces a lot. Where I was it wasnt TOO bad once the show got going after a few songs, but some of the press reports this morning seemed to suggest there were problems. No fault of the Stones' though this time,it has to be said.

Fantastic thrill to see the band so close on the b-stage and NOT be almost crushed to death in doing so. Seeing them
play "Mannish Boy" from six feet away on a small stage just blew me away and gave me all these "Wish I was there" visions of the Crawdaddy club, the El Mocambo or the Checkerboard Lounge. Keith's expressions were worth the ticket price alone. During IORR he started looking a bit pissed and started admonishing Pierre and the crew in front of the stage as he couldnt hear himself. For a minute or so he was inaudible and the look he shot Pierre would probably have provoked a lesser man to commit hari-kiri. I swear, I've never seen an expression like that in my life. You'd kill to be able to pull a look like that on anyone. Its something that you couldnt replicate if you spent a lifetime in front of a mirror pulling "tough guy" poses. You'd have sworn that his eyes just disappeared inside his head. Of course,a minute or so later he turns that on its head by turning to the crowd in bemusement, shrugging his shoulders and grinning as if to say "so what?" in a way which would have endeared him to anyone. He then hit the first chord of "Brown sugar" WAY before the rest of the band were ready and then almost keeled over laughing. A microcosm of moods and emotions Keith-style in the space of five minutes. Oh yeah,and he WAS playin his ass off,I hasten to add. If that guy's fingers are crippled by arthritis, I'll have ten like them, thank you very much.

As I said earlier it was a fine performance - no complaints at all. They nailed CYHMK as always, "Nearness of you" was gorgeous, even the much maligned "you got me rocking" sounded fresh and nasty.
09-02-03 11:24 AM
montana more pix

09-02-03 12:57 PM
Gazza oh yes, and a bit more:

1) Respectable was on the setlist as the first song on the b-stage. They played Mannish Boy instead.

2) Mick didnt sing at the soundcheck. Bernard did,as is sometimes the case.

3) for those of you wondering where the Stones are staying in Glasgow - they're not. according to this morning's paper, they're in Edinburgh, staying at the Balmoral Hotel (same hotel they used when they played Edinburgh in 1999)
09-02-03 10:13 PM
mac_daddy thanks for the review...

I like the greens and yellos - desert tones! looks good.
09-03-03 12:24 AM
FTELE52 Picked this link up on IORR...some grainy live footage but cool nonetheless

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.colo.ednet.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_2_2&newsid=1119&newsType=n1_3
09-03-03 05:40 AM
kahoosier I enetered the arena after standing in line most of the day and pretty much had the choice of where I wanted to be. I could have been two people away from the main stage Keith side, but almost did that at the Enmore and Astoria( LOL with all the pushing at the theaters, there were more in front of me but I bet the distance wasn't much different!)There was still room at the bar up front on Ronnie's side near the back up singers. But what surprised me is though people had lined up along the cat walk, no one had stood up to the b-stage yet. I took front and center. It was wonderful. I saw Gazza to my right and we gave each other thumb's up.
After Wembley, is is pretty hard to compare this show. I mean it was great, but Wembley was so outstanding. Keith did have some troble during its IORR, and I agree with Gazza on the looks he gave, but Pierre was on it and within a few bars was up fiddling with monitors and solved the problem.
Everyone keeps talking about Respecatble being replaced. From where I stood, I could see the set list in the B-stage guitar box and on the technicians desk in front of me, and from the beginning on those lists the B-stage set started with Mannish Boy. I don't doubt it was a cahnge though, as the tech cut small lists up and taped them inside the towels that he placed strategically around the b-stage so everyone could open them and play the same song I guess. This kind of thing may explain some of the false starts we hear about now and then , I mean what if you are the band memember that doesn't wipe his face and know there has been a last minute change LOL .

Watching Keith from that distance has finally convinced me that a lot of tha bad boy image is that...just image. The man did not appear intoxicated, but does have a serious love affair going on with his guitar. It was a hoot when he false started BS and had to stop and wait on the band! Anyhow, after 25 years and four concerts and God knows how much money, I have finally been front row center at a Stones show...what a life!
09-03-03 05:48 AM
dealer squealing Thanks for the reviews, this red leather jacket Jagger wears is awesome, he should were it more often.
09-03-03 05:01 PM
Monkey Woman Wonderful pics, Lour! And bravo Gazza for the review. Wish I'd been there myself...
09-04-03 06:34 PM
hotlicks NICE ONE KAHOOSIER