ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the European Tour - Rai-Halle, Amsterdam - 9 October, 1970
By Henry Diltz - with special thanks to Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Claudine Return to archive
08-31-03 05:05 AM
Shockspeeder Anyone know anything about this song that was cut from Emotional Rescue for legal reasons? Is it the song that goes 'Claudine's back in jail again' or is that too old for Emotional Rescue? Can the E R version be heard anywhere?
08-31-03 05:46 AM
Moonisup yeah if they put it on the record there was a chance they could be sued for that!
08-31-03 07:47 AM
MRD8 I believe it was cut from Some Girls and not Emotional Rescue...there are two versions of it that I know of...the great rockabilly version that was going to be on SG and a longer, slower rehearsal version that is on some other bootlegs...
08-31-03 08:46 AM
corgi37 yeah, i got both versions. claudine parts 1and 2, part 2 is basically a refrain of part 1. The claudine in question was married to Andy Williams at the time. She shot, or was involved, in a shooting. The Stones were warned big time not to release the song or they would be sued to high heaven. I remember that it was rumuored the songs would be on sucking in the 70's, but we were ripped off again. I cant recall her surname, but Claudine is French and can be seen in the brilliant 60's movie THE PARTY, starring Peter Sellars.
08-31-03 10:19 AM
Gazza Her name was Claudine Longet, and she was an ex-wife of Andy Williams. The song was cut during the "Some girls" sessions and despite what I've read about it being left off that album I distinctly remember reading about this song in the NME or Melody Maker around May 1980 as being a potential legal problem for the band as it was scheduled to appear on their upcoming album, which would have been "Emotional rescue". When that album came out at the end of June that year I remember being a bit disappointed it wasnt on it as I wanted to hear what the fuss was about!
08-31-03 10:43 AM
mac_daddy you learn something new everyday...

I like that track - "Claudine's in jail again..." Heh - I didn't know it was true. Is Andy Williams the short blond guy that wrote "Somewhere Over the Rainbow?" If he is, I think he was one of the dudes that bought the beer (ie sponsored the challenge) in Smokey and the Bandit.

Funny shit.
08-31-03 10:43 AM
mac_daddy did ally or steve ever threaten to sue the band?
08-31-03 11:08 AM
texmaps The guy in Smokey and the Bandit was Paul Williams

Somewhere over the rainbow was written for the Wizard of Oz - music by Harold Arlen and lyrics by E.Y. Harburg
08-31-03 11:10 AM
mac_daddy you are correct, sir - I was thinking the Rainbow Connection fromthe Muppet Movie.

OK - but isnt that short guy Andy's brother?
08-31-03 11:14 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy They got permission from Steve. Allie I don't know about. On the original version of Goat's Head Soup they fuzzed out John Wayne's name, but everyone still knew who it was.

-tSYX --- I'm makin' bets that you gonna get...
08-31-03 11:14 AM
texmaps From Martin Elliott's book

(Claudine) relates the tale of actress and singer Claudine Longet, former wife of celebrity Andy Williams, who had covered Lets Spend the Night Together in 1972 with her trademark soft erotic tones. She was convicted of manslaughter for the accidental death in March 1976 of her lover, the professional skier Vladimir 'Spider' Sabich. He had been showing her how to use a gun when the safety catch failed and she shot him in the stomach. Rumours that both were using alcohol and cocaine were not brought out during the trial.
08-31-03 11:28 AM
mac_daddy I thought I knew the words to Starfucker, but I guess I was wrong - where does John Wayne appear?
08-31-03 11:43 AM
T&A Corgi:

the other version of Claudine is not just a refrain. There's about a 6-7 minute version, that is the full song, but done in a slow, bluesy mode unlike the rockabilly style of the other version....
08-31-03 04:22 PM
Gazza >I thought I knew the words to Starfucker, but I guess I was wrong - where does John Wayne appear?

in the last couple of lines "I'll make a bet/that youre gonna get/John Wayne before he dies"
09-01-03 04:39 AM
mac_daddy hmm - thanks Gazza, I did not know that...

09-01-03 09:13 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Both versions are well known between hard core collectors but if someone wants them just send me a PM or an e-mail and I will upload both versions here at the board
09-01-03 12:48 PM
Lazy Bones STARFUCKER
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Baby, baby, I've been so sad since you've been gone
Way back to New York City
Where you do belong
Honey, I missed your two-tone kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to Fun City, girl
I'm gonna make you scream all night

Honey, honey, call me on the telephone
I know you're movin' out to Hollywood
With your can of tasty foam
All those beat up friends of mine
Got to get you in their books
Lead guitars and movie stars
Get their tongues beneath your hood

Yeah! You're a star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star
Yeah, a star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star
A star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker star

Yeah, I heard about you Polaroid's
Now that's what I call obscene
Your tricks with fruit was kind a cute
I bet you keep your pussy clean
Honey, I miss your two tone kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to New York, girl
Gonna make you scream all night

Yeah, Ali McGraw got mad with you
For givin' head to Steve McQueen
Yeah, you and me, we made a pretty pair
Fallin' through the Silver Screen
Honey, I'm open to anything
I don't know where to draw the line
Yeah, I'll make bets that you're gonna get
John Wayne before he dies

Yes you are
Starfucker starfucker, starfucker starfucker starfucker (yes you are)
Starfucker starfucker, starfucker starfucker starfucker, yes you are, yes you are

Oh-Yeah - Oh!
Oh!
Give us a kiss
With a twist
Ball me girl
09-03-03 07:50 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Here you have both version in MP3 format

CLAUDINE 1

CLAUDINE 2
09-03-03 08:22 AM
L&A Thanks, Voodoo ! I head only the 1st version...
09-03-03 08:23 AM
caro ...and here you have Claudine!

From this fan's site : http://home.earthlink.net/~elbroome/longet/index.html