ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the European Tour - Rai-Halle, Amsterdam - 9 October, 1970
By Henry Diltz - with special thanks to Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: TWICKENHAM 24TH AUG SET LIST Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-25-03 05:42 PM
Scot Rocks Just back from my first Stones show...

Absolutley amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will give review later, when i can think rationaly

Mark
08-25-03 06:52 PM
Jaxx [quote]Scot Rocks wrote:
Just back from my first Stones show...
/quote]

congrats! you will always remember your first!. thanks for the uptotheminute reporting on the fairly predictable setlist. the photos submitted are awesome! i like that t-shirt as well.

here's what the press had to say:

TWICKENHAM'S SATISFACTION
sky news

Veteran rocker Mick Jagger shrugged off a bout of flu to join his fellow Rolling Stones on stage for the first British concert of their current world tour.

The tour to promote 40 Licks - a 40th anniversary collection of Stones hits - has been struck on two previous occasions by problems with 60-year-old Sir Mick's voice.

The cancellation of Saturday's concert at Twickenham rugby ground in south-west London because of Jagger's flu, left 50,000 fans now having to wait until September 20 for a rescheduled appearance.

A date in Amsterdam last Wednesday had to be missed because of a sore throat, and a gig in Spain was dropped earlier in the month when Jagger went down with laryngitis.

But Jagger and the core band members - guitarist Keith Richards, 59, rhythm guitarist Ronnie Wood, 56, and drummer Charlie Watts, 62 - showed few signs of exhaustion or sickness as they ran through some of the hits that have kept the band hugely popular for four decades.

Regularly taunted for being far too old to rock'n'roll, the band are in fact now of similar ages to the venerable American blues singers who first inspired them in the early 60s.

And if the band are no longer the musical outlaws known in the 60s as "the dirtiest group in Britain", they do now play a version of the blues which - like that of early heroes Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf - is steeped in both excess and experience.

Sore throat apart, Jagger himself appears to possess the elixir of youth, bounding around the stage with almost teenage levels of energy.

And it spills from the stage - all around Twickenham, family men of a certain age were seen dusting down dance moves which do not appear to have been in active use for some yearss.

Twix Pix

Last Updated: 11:03 UK, Monday August 25, 2003

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Mick Jagger shakes flu, joins Stones in London

The Associated Press

LONDON (August 24, 5:36 p.m. PDT) - Mick Jagger recovered enough from the flu to join the Rolling Stones on stage Sunday for the first British concert in the band's latest world tour.

Saturday's "Forty Licks" concert at Twickenham rugby field in southwest London was canceled because of the 60-year-old Jagger's illness, forcing 50,000 fans to settle for a rescheduled appearance Sept. 20.

It was not the first health setback on the tour.

Last week, a concert in Amsterdam, Netherlands, was scrapped because of Jagger's sore throat and a previous gig in Spain was dropped when Sir Mick suffered laryngitis.

But Jagger and fellow band members - guitarist Keith Richards, 59; rhythm guitarist Ronnie Wood, 56; and drummer Charlie Watts, 62 - showed few signs of exhaustion or illness Sunday night as they performed some of the hits that have kept the band popular for four decades.

Despite a lingering sore throat, Jagger bounded around the stage at Twickenham like a teenager. In the audience, middle-aged mothers and fathers danced in styles not seen at British nightclubs for years.

[Edited by Jaxx]
08-30-03 03:30 AM
Hannalee From the Daily Telegraph (better late than never}:

Jaggernaut rolls into town
(Filed: 26/08/2003)

David Cheal reviews the Rolling Stones at Twickenham Rugby Stadium

The Rolling Stones story in words and pictures

After nearly a year on the road, the Rolling Stones' Licks world tour finally reached Britain on Sunday night - a day later than scheduled, after the cancellation of Saturday's show because of Mick Jagger's illness. The surviving members of the original band - Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts - are all in, or (in Richards' case) very close to, their sixties now, but the public appetite for their music seems undiminished: this globe-trotting juggernaut of a roadshow, which was launched last September in Boston, USA, is easily expected to out-gross the �160 million earned by their previous world tour.

Rude health: Mick Jagger showed no signs of the flu
As well as being a return to native soil for the band, the event was a homecoming of another kind for a group whose formative gigs were played more than 40 years ago in the pubs and clubs of nearby Richmond. It can safely be said that the notion that they would be filling sports stadiums well into the 21st century would never have crossed any of their minds back then, but here they were, strutting and preening and careening in front of a rapturous crowd. "It ain't half nice to be home, know what I mean?" drawled Keith Richards with typical ineloquence.

Jagger himself showed no after-effects of the flu that forced Saturday's cancellation. The opening song, Brown Sugar, was sung with vim and verve, and as the show went on, his energy levels seemed, if anything, to increase.

It may seem like heresy to say so, but I have never been totally convinced of the Stones' prowess as a live band. The looseness that characterises their sound all too often tips over into sloppiness, but here they were the best I've ever seen them. On songs such as Rocks Off, one of several tunes in the set taken from their superlative Exile on Main Street album, the guitars of Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood dovetailed beautifully, while drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Darryl Jones kept things focused. And on You Can't Always Get What You Want, something extraordinary happened - Ronnie Wood played a decent guitar solo.

With none of the dreaded new material to showcase, the focus was wholly on the group's back catalogue. And, lordy, what a back catalogue: Wild Horses, Tumbling Dice, Happy, Sympathy for the Devil, Satisfaction, Paint It, Black: all were played with extraordinary freshness and commitment.

As on their previous tour, the band crossed a walkway to a smaller stage in the centre of the stadium to play a busky mini-set of blues and R&B tunes. This was what the Stones became famous for all those years ago - playing the blues with grit and vitality.

Then it was back to the main stage for the finale, including the compelling dark drama of Gimme Shelter and a gorgeously sleazy Honky Tonk Women.

In the concert programme, Ronnie Wood promises that the Rolling Stones will "rock till we drop". This show, which culminated in a pile-driving Jumpin' Jack Flash, suggested that there is plenty of life yet in these leathery old troubadours.

08-30-03 08:27 PM
Gazza Very enjoyable show. I'm not a big fan of mega gigs or stadium shows, but this was as good as I could have hoped for. Mick's voice was excellent and he worked the crowd magnificently. having great seats helped, though - pretty close to 10th row centre (thanks Rooster for the upgrades!)

its easy to bitch about stadium setlists but these ARE great songs - which is the ideal for most people who are going to just one show,I guess - and they were played very well for the most part (apart from Mick ballsing up the start of "tumbling dice" and Keith bullshitting lyrics to the first 2 verses of "Happy" before nailing the solo and the last verse). "Slipping away", "Wild horses" , "sympathy" and "Street fighting man" (which belongs on a b-stage with that raw power) were terrific and "Dont stop" gets better live with every listen.

Nice stadium too....miles better than Wembley ever was.
09-01-03 03:23 PM
MarthaMyDear I think this show was ACTUALLY my most favorite Stones show
I've been to so far (ever) as in having fun all-around (the
show, the company, the weather, etc.)!!! IF ONLY I COULD WEAR
T-SHIRTS WITH NO JACKET AT NIGHT HERE IN LOS ANGELES LIKE I
DID THERE (?!?!?!)!!! What THAT shit is all about, I don't
know, but what PERFECT weather!!! Except for clouds in the
sky, it couldn't have been more perfect!!! I enjoyed seeing
Eel Pie Island on the bus trip going to the stadium, also,
although I, unfortunately, didn't get to go there or to the
club, etc. (next time, hopefully, though!!!) and meeting
Rocks Off AND Shidoobee folks before the show at the Cabbage
Patch bar, which was PACKED, before the show, also!!! It was
awesome hearing Paint It Black and I agree with Gary on the
rest of the songs, etc.!!!
I'm still waiting to see Mick dance to Midnight Rambler,
which they didn't play (unfortunately), like he did at
Anaheim, but I don't know if he can get any raunchier than
that,
IMHO!!!
lol..........................................................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Um, wait a minute... I bet he can... Scratch that
thought... CRACKING-
UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO ROOSTER (ED) FOR THE
********** AWESOME ********** CHARLIE AUTOGRAPH AND TO HIM
AND HIS FRIEND FOR LETTING ME STAND CLOSE TO THE CATWALK TO
TAKE PIX ALOT and although some didn't come out that great, a
few did and I will post them here ASAP!!! My computer is
messed-up and I have my new one waiting for me to pick it up
a good distance away from here and I can't pick it up at
least until next week, etc., so I will TRY to post the pix
this week (at least ASAP), ok.?!?!?!

Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (Always EXCELLENT to see Stonesdoug, also!!! I hope to
see you in the not-so-distant future, Doug!!! TAKE CARE!!!
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
)
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
09-01-03 03:53 PM
glencar Mratha dear, I can't beleive I missed you at the Cabbage Patch. I was there the day before with some Shidoobees. There was a pretty good bus tour that Saturday of all the old Stones haunts.
09-04-03 02:06 AM
MarthaMyDear HI, GLENCAR!!! I'm sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, etc., but I've been really sick for the past couple of days (I think I ate and/or drank something really bad or I'm just now getting over some kind of stomache flue, or something)... It's weird... Yes, I wish I could have hung-out with you the night before!!! I think I actually went to Mick and Jerry's old house and The Wick in Richmond that day (and the day before)... lol..................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P And, besides that, I did get to see just a few other Stones sights (where they lived with Phelge and where Mick lived with Marianne on Cheyene (sp?!?!?!) Drive (?!?!?!) and I saw Eel Pie Island from a bus, etc., but didn't get to go to the club, etc.... But, that is MORE than fine 'cause I really did go to and see ALOT of places in England!!! So much, I don't remember everything (and I'm going to have to backtrack to remember everything, possibly)!!! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol..................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P And, I saw Taylor, who was INCREDIBLY BRILLIANT AND WHO I WILL SEE AT ********** EVERY ********** SHOW FROM NOW ON HE PLAYS HERE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, AT LEAST, at the 100 Club, also!!! So, I guess we BOTH had a GREAT time!!! GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I plan on going to England again hopefully next year!!! Richmond is REALLY nice, actually, and I know that is a given, etc., but it was just INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So was central London but there was just some kind of beauty about Richmond (probably money)!!! lol..................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Anyways, ok.!!! I have to go to sleep and/or barf soon so take care and I hope you had a great time there, as I think you probably did, and I'll talk to you SOON!!!
Anyways, TAKE CARE, PEACE, AND DO ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE CARE!!!

*** Martha ***
09-04-03 02:11 AM
steel driving hammer Martha babe you are such a fine baby doll!

Loved your glossy tounge shrit!

Also loved what was under that glossy tounge shirt!

I hope you drank, danced and remembered the time in London!

I never been there, but someday I will.

Maybe baby, on the Stones 2007-2010 World Tour I will.

Even maybe the planet Mars if they ever tour there!
09-05-03 12:13 AM
MarthaMyDear THERE IS NOTHING UNDER THAT GLOSSY TONGUE SHRIT (JUST A GREAT
PADDED BRA FROM VICTORIA'S SECRET THAT MAKES ME *** LOOK ***
LIKE THERE'S SOMETHING THERE)!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But, thank you anyways, STEELIE!!!
In London I didn't drink but I DOWNED quite a
few lattes, if I do say so meself, etc., and MADE SURE I
PIGGED-OUT ON TONS OF SWEETS (less than I would have liked to
as it was a vacation, etc., but I did have a pretty intense
desserts every night, just about!!!), danced, and I am TRYING
to remember all that I did but I did so fricking much, I'm
going to have to backtrack a little bit!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, well, you'll get there some day, I am sure, and I'm
sure you had a nice time in Amsterdam, also!!! The next time
I travel, though, I am fricking going to a MAJOR athletic
shoe store and researching and buying the BEST HIGHLY-active/
walking/sight-seeing shoes there is and it AIN'T Doc
Martens!!! Although they are CUTE, they just don't do the
trick!!! lol.............................. :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P :P But, at least
I know now!!! lol.............................. :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P :P :P :P

Anyways, I'm over my sickness (I think it actually has
something to do with my coffee maker, oddly enough?!?!?!) so
that is good and I hope you get to see them WHENEVER AND
WHEREVER YOU WANT, ok.?!?!?! Take care, nice guy, and I'll
talk to you soon, ok.?!?!?!
Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
Page: 1 2