ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the European Tour - Rai-Halle, Amsterdam - 9 October, 1970
By Henry Diltz - with special thanks to Irina

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ENGLAND AND UK GET-TOGETHERS (AKA STONESARCHY IN THE UK)!!! :D Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
07-06-03 04:55 AM
Talya Peachfeather For everyone's information, the Carpenters Arms in Seymour Place, Marble Arch has a room that's just got chairs in it - I booked it for free for a gathering just over a week ago for an evening: it's quite a small room, but they say 40 people can get in there, and my guess is that it's about right.

They let you take your own music - providing it's not too loud.

You have to go downstairs to the pub to get drinks, and they know as soon as you enter the pub who you are 'cos it's a pub for locals, so they know who's meant to be there.

07-06-03 05:01 AM
Talya Peachfeather Oh, I just realised that pub doesn't have food - however there are plenty GOOD food restaurants in London: though in central areas they're probably all very costly. However once you get into the suburbs there's terrific food - don't believe anything you read about terrible food in England 'coso it's just not true.

If I can offer any advice let me know since I live in London - but I always drive so don't drink, and I'm allergic to cigarettes so probably won't be able to join you all.
07-06-03 05:15 AM
hotlicks Lets have a vote-thusday night(28th aug) sounds good to me and it,s my birthday! i have two birthdays (like the queen) one on the 18TH (offical) and another on the 28th.
07-06-03 11:27 PM
MarthaMyDear Strange_Stray_Cat and everyone: I posted an apology to you all, especially Strange_Stray_Cat, on Page 1 in this thread, so that is there on the page before this one...

Anyways, I'm suggesting that the get-together be held at Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers Restaurant on Tuesday, August 26th, at: 6:00 in the evening. (earlier if Monkey Woman can't make it that late, etc., because we can always extend the get-together, etc./anyone can stay later, etc.)... 6:00 in the evening for dinner and drinks during and after!!! :

Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers Restaurant:
http://www.stickyfingers.co.uk

Quick Link To Their Location, Directions, Etc.:
http://www.stickyfingers.co.uk/rest/where_map.html

Quick Link To Their Menu *(BOOZE ***AND*** FOOD!!!
YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
):
http://www.stickyfingers.co.uk/menu/index.htm

***P.S. (Monkey Woman: If you can, etc., please let me know (PM me, etc.) or post if you need to come by earlier than that, ok., 'cause these reservations will be made SOON (probably 'cause we have to, if we can even MAKE reservations for that day, etc.)... Thank you!!! )

***P.P.S.(EVERYONE: I'm having ALOT of problems with my computer so I might have to have someone else post information on this in this thread until I get my computer fixed, which will HOPEFULLY be this Saturday or within the next week or two, etc.... So, if you'd like to come, please post if this day and/or time and/or restaurant is inconvenient for you so the reservation can be made ASAP, ok.?!?!?!
THANK YOU and I hope to see as many people there as possible!!!
ROCK ON!!!
)

*** Martha ***
07-06-03 11:43 PM
Honky Tonk Man Sounds great to me Martha!

07-07-03 12:10 AM
MarthaMyDear I forgot to put in my post... lol.....................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the nice suggestions, Talya, and I hope you can make it!!!

I was actually going to see if there was a place to eat and drink that would include sitting outside, etc., 'cause there are lots of places like that here in Los Angeles, etc., so I'm sure there would be some like that in London (I don't know if Sticky Fingers Restaurant has that or not but I'll check on that...) 'cause I THINK (?!?!?!) that would help with the cigarette smoke, etc.!!! At most places here now, you're not allowed to smoke INCLUDING bars (so I'm glad I quit before THAT law came into effect!!! HE!!! HE!!! HA!!! HA!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding!!! Kind of!!! lol.....................
)... But, that must be REALLY tough regarding the cigarette smoke and that is really responsible of you to not drink and drive, actually... I couldn't say the same thing for MYSELF about 17-odd years ago (the last time I drank and drove, probably), but I never wanted to pay for taxis...
lol.....................
I don't drink and I quit smoking cold turkey about two years and one month ago so I can TOTALLY relate to where you're coming from, I think!!!

I will check to see if Sticky Fingers Cafe has an outdoor area to sit at, if that is ok. with the cigarette smoke, you think (?!?!?!), and I'll post here if they do, etc., ok.?!?!?!!

Also, htolicks, I think that night isn't good for most people (?!?!?!)... Can you make it on Tuesday the 26th?!?!?!!

And, why does the queen have two birthdays?!?!?! She's not in AA, is she?!?!?! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!! Bad joke!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm curious, though!!! Why?!?!?!
lol.....................
Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!
lol.....................

*** Martha ***
07-07-03 12:21 AM
MarthaMyDear >Sounds great to me Martha!

COOL, STYLISH YOUNG MAN!!! lol...............................
Now, my next assignment will be counting all the ladies who will be swarming around you, I am SURE OF THAT!!!
lol...............................
Must be tough, Alex!!! lol...............................

Anyways, I guess we just have to see if the majority of people agree on this plan and make the reservation and I'll see if there are places to sit outside but I'm not sure of that (but I'll check on that in the next, few days)... That would be nice, though, if that was so, especially since it's summertime, etc....

Anyways, take care and ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
07-07-03 12:46 AM
MarthaMyDear SHIT!!! It's just off of Kensington High Street!!! I'LL BE SHOPPING BEFOREHAND *** ALL, FRICKIN' DAY LONG ***!!!
YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH,
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

LIFE IS
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol............................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
PEACE AND *** DO *** ROCK
ON!!!

lol............................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
07-07-03 01:37 AM
MarthaMyDear HEY!!! Thank you for Stickying this, whomever Stickied it!!! That was nice!!! Take care!!!

*** Martha ***
07-07-03 06:58 AM
Talya Peachfeather [quote]MarthaMyDear wrote:
I was actually going to see if there was a place to eat and drink that would include sitting outside, etc., 'cause there are lots of places like that here in Los Angeles, etc., so I'm sure there would be some like that in London (I don't know if Sticky Fingers Restaurant has that or not but I'll check on that...) 'cause I THINK (?!?!?!) that would help with the cigarette smoke, etc.!!! At most places here now, you're not allowed to smoke INCLUDING bars (so I'm glad I quit before THAT law came into effect!!! HE!!! HE!!! HA!!! HA!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martha, the main difference between eating outdoors in Los Angeles and London is that it rains a tremendous amount more over here, and there's never any guarantees of sun or rain!!!! Some restaurants have parts that are non-smoking, but that wouldn't do for the smokers - and I'm sure there are more smokers in England than in the whole of California!!!! LOL!!!

I don't drink and I quit smoking cold turkey about two years and one month ago so I can TOTALLY relate to where you're coming from, I think!!!

I drinkl - just not when I'm driving. I get scared of travelling on public transport 'cos I was attacked one night about 30 years ago around 10.30 p.m. on a train, and people weren't forthcoming to give me any support, and I had a couple of other horrible moments that weren't such a violation, but still would be called attacks: so I have the choice of going out alone or staying home staring at the walls. So, I choose to go out and drive - at least I can lock the doors if there seems to be danger. I dress extremely casually nowadays, cover up totally, and do my best to look as inconspicuous as possible when travelling on public transport. If I use public transport I wouldn't drink anything 'cos I have to keep my wits about me, just in case.

I will check to see if Sticky Fingers Cafe has an outdoor area to sit at, if that is ok. with the cigarette smoke, you think (?!?!?!), and I'll post here if they do, etc., ok.?!?!?!!

Sounds great to me - I've never been there.

And, why does the queen have two birthdays?!?!?! She's not in AA, is she?!?!?! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!! Bad joke!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
: I'm curious, though!!! Why?!?!?!
lol.....................

One's the Queen's REAL birthday, the other is her OFFICIAL birthday - the first is for her to celebrate in private, the second is her public ceremony for "her people"!!! LOL!!! ROTFL!!!! There are still many patriotic people in this country. I imagine it's a ritual that's been handed down over the centuries and no-one's realised it's way past its sell by date!!!!!

Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!
lol.....................

And you Martha - are you planning to go to all the London concerts, where else are you going to see the Stones? And I do hope you plan to sightsee while you're here - it'd be too bad if the only sightseeing you did was from the audience looking at the stage.
Talya
07-07-03 07:15 AM
Monkey Woman Sticky Fingers sounds good to me too! Hey, being in London, I wouldn't miss it for all the gold in the world, LOL!!!
Though I can be there in the evening. Maybe we could go there for lunch?
07-07-03 09:33 AM
Talya Peachfeather
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Though I can be there in the evening. Maybe we could go there for lunch?

I'd rather do evening - that way I won't have to drive all over the place to avoid the congestion charge if it's in the week, and also I work, so it'd have to depend on the day for lunch, and also I don't do too well with a meal in the middle of the day - just a few crackers and a small piece of protein, maybe some fruit and a diet soda. So, dinner would suit me best. Then again, if it's outdoors I get bitten to pieces outdoors in the evening, so maybe I should just go with whatever everyone else decides!!! LOL!!!
07-07-03 12:36 PM
sirmoonie Uprompted Piss UP!

I'm not complaining, but it seems kinda whacked to meet up at Sticky Fingers. First it will be crowded as hell, second I assume its nothing more than another TGIF/Applebees/Hard Rock type deal and there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for visiting such generic places in a city like London, and third Bill Wyman is a geeky little child molester and spending quid to help that sick twerp seems un-godlyistical.

I guess I am complaining.

Pubs! Its London for chrissakes!

"Can you say 'here's another bash pint' and then call me The Leviathan, Ronnie?"
07-07-03 04:28 PM
Gazza I've been to Sticky Fingers a few times and its pretty good - its kinda "Hard rock cafe" style with one notable exception - its all Stones! The food is pretty decent but its always pretty busy and certainly WILL be that week!!

however, the way its laid out I think it would be pretty difficult to get an area to ourselves. Its not huge by any means. Most of the place is a restaurant - the bar area is quite small and situated at the main entrance and always pretty crammed. It DOESNT have seating outside, Talya.

Talya - do you live in London? Maybe if youre from around that area you can help us arrange something so we can plan something. Mail me on [email protected] and maybe we can put our heads together and get something arranged. Martha has been good enough to come up with some ideas and has been enthusiastic about organising something, but I know she mightnt be online much until she gets her PC problems worked out and I think the onus is on those of us who LIVE in the UK to actually make phone calls and book somewhere and help out.

I think tuesday 26th is maybe the best option of the two suggested nights because I know Doug's having a riverboat cruise or something on the Thursday and I know some people such as Monkeywoman and others are going to that and i think its important we give everyone - especially those coming from overseas - as many options that week as we can. Only thing is,more people will be in town at the twickenham weekend and the following weekend for wembley than will be there midweek as not as many of us will be there midweek for the astoria show. We could always have something more informal like a few drinks or whatever suits everyone on the day of the four concerts
07-07-03 05:21 PM
Talya Peachfeather Gazza,

Tuesday 26th sounds good - I have a doctor's appointment and then might have to be in central London that afternoon to work, but anyway, will be able to get into London early evening. I just e-mailed you.
07-07-03 11:17 PM
sirmoonie I didn't mean to criticize MarthaDear's heroic efforts, just that Sticky Fingers doesn't seem like a place you can chill all shoogie like.....

Anywhere yins is, I be there. There I be. Be there I is. Anywhere that are.
07-08-03 04:04 AM
Talya Peachfeather
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I didn't mean to criticize MarthaDear's heroic efforts, just that Sticky Fingers doesn't seem like a place you can chill all shoogie like.....

Anywhere yins is, I be there. There I be. Be there I is. Anywhere that are.

I THINK we're working on it. Those of us that are a bit closer to central London and who might be able to think up something a bit simpler.
07-08-03 05:11 PM
sirmoonie Covent Gardens!

Those pub boats on the Thames!

Seriously.

I guess we need to know how many peeps. If its 10-15 from here and over there <---------------, then you guys don't need to go to all the trouble of reserving space, etc.
07-09-03 08:02 AM
Monkey Woman Sorry, the evening of the 26th is really impossible for me. How about the 25th?
07-09-03 08:09 AM
Monkey Woman Gazza, thanks for the info about the Sticky Fingers. Though it sounds fun, it's maybe not the ideal spot for a RO gathering.

As for the day and time: I'll go with whatever the majority agrees upon, of course. But bear in mind I won't be able to make it if we decide on the 26th at dinnertime...
How about the 25th or the 26th at lunch or in the afternoon?
07-09-03 04:12 PM
Gazza The problem is, every day we decide upon will inconvenience someone, myself included because most people do have plans for other days and evenings during the week!

We can only really work with what suits most people which is why we require feedback so we can get something arranged soon and stick to it.
07-10-03 06:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man I really want to make this get-together, but what Gazza is saying in his above post is right. Its going to be near impossible to find a day/evening which will suit everyone.

As far as im concerned, i can make any evening gathering. A day time gathering will not be possible for me though.

I really don't know where we are all going to meet up. Im pressuming that everyone interested in going is staying in London? Im not, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I will be working the day of the gathering and can just come after work.

I quite like sirmoonie's "lets just find a pub and get drunk" attitude. If he or anyone else wants to do that, thats good with me. Its already been established that a few here don't drink, so there is no reason, why we can't make that a seperate thing.

Alex
07-10-03 03:40 PM
Gazza It doesnt have to be separate, really (besides we have four shows where people can do that if they want). I'm sure many of us will be sharing a drink or two before a concert anyway. That can be arranged later. "just finding a pub" invariably leads to half the people who planned to go never arriving. Trust me.

Its pointless organising a get together where half the people arent going to meet the other half! People ARE coming a long way for this.

Its pretty much a no-brainer. Organise a meal in a restaurant at a chosen time for those who want to do that (and no matter how much a piss-head you may be,youre going to have to EAT at SOME point!). Those who just want to come along for a few drinks can do so too and we can hook up in a nearby bar before and/or afterwards. As long as we have a rough time and a definite place for people to know where to turn up. The key is that we tailor the evening where it caters for everyone's idea of an evening out, whether they're tee-total, a piss-head or somewhere in between!

I do like the idea of an evening out somewhere in Covent Garden I have to say!

[Edited by Gazza]
07-10-03 03:46 PM
Honky Tonk Man Gazza, i am not a piss-head!

I really don't mind what we do. Im just looking forward to meeting everyone. I don't mind where we go, having a bite to eat sounds good to me, as does having a drink or two.

Your idea about going to a bar after the meal soungs good to me too.

Im pretty easy

Alex
07-10-03 04:01 PM
sirmoonie Covent Garden! YES!!!!

Bushwhack!

Uprompted Piss Up!

"I'm a pisshead, Ronnie!"

Pints!

Hootch!

Stones!

Rolling!

Mongo!

"Its 3 o'clock in the morning and I'm pissing down the sidestreets with a pint in my hand for you, Ronnie!"
07-10-03 04:07 PM
Gazza >Gazza, i am not a piss-head!

I didnt mean you personally,I was generalising for tbe benefit of those who fancy and evening out and who ARE

>I really don't mind what we do. Im just looking forward to meeting everyone. I don't mind where we go, having a bite to eat sounds good to me, as does having a drink or two.

thats the general idea!

>Your idea about going to a bar after the meal sounds good to me too.

well..the key is to have a focal point where people can arrive before the meal or afterwards , suiting their own tastes!

>Im pretty easy

so I hear ;-)
07-12-03 03:34 AM
Talya Peachfeather Covent Garden has plenty choice of restaurants - I've never eaten in that part of London, so I have no idea what to pick - other than listings on the internet or someplace else.
07-12-03 05:15 PM
sirmoonie They have choice hootch in that part of London! I've canned there! Pegged 'em down, so to speak.

Upromptred piss up!

Stones in London. Now THAT is something you don't see everyday.
07-14-03 01:51 AM
MarthaMyDear THANK YOU, ALL (ESPECIALLY GARY) FOR POSTING YOUR SUGGESTIONS, ETC.!!!

I have just been EXTREMELY busy dealing with a messed-up computer and work, etc., but I will post restaurants like I'm posting below when I can just as suggestions, etc., and maybe one that's interesting might show-up (?!?!?!)... I found these the other day at: http://www.welcometolondon.co.uk/Eating/Restaurants.htm so here are only SOME that I found and more will be posted soon!!!!

Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!!

Covent Garden:

Restaurants-

Old Orleans
A fun and lively place for friends and family alike. Old Orleans combines a restaurant and cocktail bar with d�cor and music, all reminiscent of the French quarter of New Orleans. The mouth watering menu offers a wide choice of Cajun and Creole cuisine, with strong French, Mexican and Caribbean influences.
29 - 31 Wellington Street,
Covent Garden, WC2
(020 7497 2433).

PJ�s Grill ��
New York style grill, a legendary theatre dining haunt.
30 Wellington Street,
Covent Garden, WC2.

Cafes-

Henry�s Caf� Bar �
Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, WC2 (020 7379 1871). Open daily.

*** Martha ***
07-14-03 03:40 AM
MarthaMyDear That Old Orleans restaurant sounds rather interesting to me and I LOVE Mexican food!!! DAROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!! lol......................
GOD, am I gonna pig-out on this fricking trip, DAMNIT!!! lol......................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P NO MORE DIET FOR ME!!! YEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! Ok.... Being bizarre for no reason... lol......................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Well, that's my pick out of THOSE restaurants... I'll see what else there is around and post more SOON!!! PEACE and ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7