ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

September 11, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Review of last night's show at Gillette Stadium Return to archive
09-06-02 03:46 PM
Remedy04 Well, I'll start off by saying that I'm a 20 yr. old college student and this was my first time seeing the Stones. I was not disappointed last night. Being a stadium show, I expected the band to play the hits and I really didn't mind at all, since it was my first show. However, there were some songs I was hoping the band would play because, even though I'm young, I'm definately no casual fan.

The venue: The stadium, in my mind, was impressive. I really liked the fact that the concourses were all open to the field. Also, the views seemed great from just about every spot (although I didn't travel up to the top deck). Our seats were in section 202 so we were raised a bit but could see the entire stage clearly.

The stage: One word: MASSIVE! The top of the stage was about as high as the second deck and the stage itself extended completely across one end of the stadium. The split video screens were a nice touch. I especially enjoyed when the screens split into four and each screen focused on one of the four principal members.

The set: Pretty standard but there were some definate highlights. Brown Sugar was a great song to kick off the festivities. Loved the animation during "Honky Tonk Woman". "Gimme Shelter" was slowed down and sounded great. "Sympaty" sounded great and featured HUGE flames going off on top of the stage, as well as a really cool red lighting effect.

But the highlight, one of the songs I was really hoping to hear was Midnight Rambler, hands down. This song kicked some serious ass! They started it off pretty standard and then slowed it down big time, to where I thought the song had ended. They brought it to a bump and grind, a la "Ya Ya's", and slowly sped it back up. Absolutely stunning! I very nearly soiled myself when they played the opening notes to this one!

Disappointments: Didn't really have to do with the show, so much. Most of them were personal mishaps that happened along the way. Like, getting a $75 speeding ticket on the Mass Pike on the way to the show. Like waiting at least 90 minutes in the parking lot afterwords to get out.

The thing that pissed me off the most though was my section. I was only a few rows back in the section and basically everyone behind me sat throughout the entire show, with the one exception being "Satisfaction". I kept turning around and shaking my head at the people who just sat there with there arms folded, talking to their neighbor for 95% of the show. I was thinking to myself, "It's a Thursday night, you probably paid the $90 for your seats, and you look bored out of your minds. Stay home, watch "Friends", cook a nice meal. You'd probably enjoy yourself more and you'd save a lot of money too." Go figure that the band closed with "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". Felt like the theme of the night for those around me.

Another funny thing: As I expected, everyone was patted down before entering through the gates prior to the show. The two ladies in front of me commented, "Did they just start doing this sort of thing after 9/11? I don't remember seeing this before." I was thinking, "When was the last time you ladies went to a concert? This is pretty much standard."

Overall: Very enjoyable night out. Band was in fine form. Wish I could be at the Orpheum on Sunday night. Would be a hell of a time to see the Stones at a 2,800 seat venue. Anyways, I fulfilled one of my "things to do" in life last night: I saw the Rolling Stones in concert.
09-06-02 08:44 PM
Gazza Nice review...thanks for posting it!
09-06-02 08:55 PM
parmeda
quote:
Anyways, I fulfilled one of my "things to do" in life last night: I saw the Rolling Stones in concert.

Remedy....
A young man to have "priorities" such as yours, is highly commendable in my book.
I'm extremely pleased that it was memorable for you, as you stated...and trust me my friend, you will NEVER forget September 5, 2002 for as long as you live.
Thanks for your story.
09-07-02 12:36 AM
Martha The thing that pissed me off the most though was my section. I was only a few rows back in the section and basically everyone behind me sat throughout the entire show, with the one exception being "Satisfaction". I kept turning around and shaking my head at the people who just sat there with there arms folded, talking to their neighbor for 95% of the show. I was thinking to myself, "It's a Thursday night, you probably paid the $90 for your seats, and you look bored out of your minds. Stay home, watch "Friends", cook a nice meal. You'd probably enjoy yourself more and you'd save a lot of money too." Go figure that the band closed with "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". Felt like the theme of the night for those around me.

Great review! Thanks for the post. It is getting me psyched to see them in Detroit October 12th. I appreciated you describing the layout of the stage, etc.

The above quote is certainly something I can relate to. I go to alot of live shows each year and I am constantly puzzled and dismayed at the amount of people who look bored, or who do nothing but talk to each other (in the loudest voices they can muster to hear themselves over the music..by the way you can talk in a normal tone of voice directly into someone's ear and they can hear you just fine at a live gig). I think why don't they stay home, go out in the lobby and talk or...I don't know... SHUT the FUCK Up maybe!?! LOL!

I don't even talk to my husband or any of our friends for a second as the show is going on...I am GLUED to the stage....the performance, and the sound! I have no idea what people who aren't watching/into the show are doing there.

Good for you to be so enlightened!

Long live that good old Rock and Roll!