ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

September 11, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why do the Stones have so many sound issues?? Return to archive
09-06-02 09:51 AM
Scottfree What gives really? I have been embarrassed when I take my Stones neutral friends to their concerts, who the hell runs the sound for these cats and why can't they get it right? I know every stadium and arena is different but hell they have played them all, do their sound people know nothing about the acoustics? Is Keith & Mick aware of the shitty sound at some shows? Don't get me wrong I have heard some that have been very well done, however, there have been too many times that the sound has really sucked, and it wasn't because of their playing. I hope they clean it up before stepping foot in Ohio!!!
09-06-02 09:57 AM
nankerphelge I agree -- I don't expect perfection at a show by any stretch. But for the money they are charging, and the number of years they've been doing this, I expect the fucking sound system to work every time unless some act of god kills the whole damn thing!
09-06-02 11:39 AM
lonecrapshooter I'm worried about the B stage. There were too many shows where I couldn't hear it well. Depending on where you sit the sound (even form the main stage) may suck. Some of this is due to arena acoustics. (I recall Molson Centre Montreal had incredible sound) It is unfortunate when the tix cost so much. There are also reports of mixing problems. A friend said he couldn't hear the horns at times at Fleet but he could see them playing.
I'm not looking to bitch just hoping they will correct these problems as best they can.
09-06-02 12:03 PM
jb The system was purchased in Canada and is run by Canadian technicians hired by Michael Cohl from the various provinces.
09-06-02 01:38 PM
chevysales well your friend must be deaf cause i heard the horns at fleet.

did anyone care to realize the acoustics at fleet suck to begin with, not that msg is much better
09-06-02 01:44 PM
Maxlugar Hey Josh, I hope none of those guys are from French Provinces.

Because, you know....

M!
09-06-02 01:51 PM
lonecrapshooter Excuse me but he's not deaf...he said at certain times he could not hear them. It could have to do with where he was sitting which was up high. He remembers details of every song and he's not a boozer so I take his word. He also though Chuck was sorely needed on Loving Cup and the backup singers were lacking at times but overall he was quite pleased. He also is tired of war horses but couldn't say enough about Satisfaction. He though this was the song of the night. I'm sure I am boring you by now but he also has been a Ronnie basher but had no complaints after Fleet.
09-06-02 03:21 PM
Ken
quote:
lonecrapshooter wrote:
He also though Chuck was sorely needed on Loving Cup and the backup singers were lacking at times but overall he was quite pleased.

He would be right. For the Fleetcenter at least Chuck and the back up singing trio had reduced rolls. This is very welcome by many of the die hards myself included.

Don't get me wrong, I've grown to like Lisa, Bernard and Blondie. I have nothing against Chuck, I want more guitars.
Yes the guitars are playing a bigger roll thus far, but I still think they are lacking.

I don't know if it's there playing or just the sound that there guitars/amps generate, but I don't really like it. I didn't like it 97, 99 or so far this year. Ya know, I think it might be the bass lines??

Ken
09-06-02 03:24 PM
Soul Survivor I miss '72! Or, even '81 had lots of great guitar that wasnt buried away
09-06-02 03:35 PM
David it's a canadian conspiracy.
09-06-02 03:40 PM
nankerphelge Ugh -- '81 was the worst for the guitars. That was my least favorite tour because of it. Tinny sounding generally and Keith had none of that ball-crunching sound he is famous for.

NS had better sound than I heard opening nite. Ultimately, it is the sound we are paying for -- that part cannot be comprimised...
09-06-02 03:47 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Ugh -- '81 was the worst for the guitars. That was my least favorite tour because of it.

I liked it.
09-06-02 03:53 PM
nankerphelge Yeah different strokes -- many people love the '81 tour. Not me.
'78 -- now that was some Stones tour -- I still play some Handsome Girls every frickin' day!! Them guitars are on fire!!

09-06-02 03:55 PM
Soul Survivor The only complaint I have about the '81 tour is Mick. His voice is.....well...he tries to sound to macho and dont really give a shit about his singing

There are some good '78 shows. My favorites being Memphis, and Houston
09-06-02 04:04 PM
nankerphelge Yeah he wasn't singing -- the band was playing everything too fast -- the guitars were weak in my opinion -- Wyman's bass was too loud -- they had a second rate Sax (Bobby Keys is such a part of the Stones)-- and as day shows there was relatively little pomp and circumstance (which I don't mind in moderation).

However, they did play a shit-load of songs and they played a lot of stuff off ER and TY that hasn't been played much since. Hang Fire, Let Me Go, She's So Cold -- very nice! Also the version of Satisfaction was the best up until perhaps this tour -- at least at Fleet, it was the unexpected surprise of the nite in my mind.

My 2 cents on why I rarely listen to '81.
09-06-02 04:07 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Yeah he wasn't singing -- the band was playing everything too fast -- the guitars were weak in my opinion -- Wyman's bass was too loud -- they had a second rate Sax (Bobby Keys is such a part of the Stones)-- and as day shows there was relatively little pomp and circumstance (which I don't mind in moderation).

However, they did play a shit-load of songs and they played a lot of stuff off ER and TY that hasn't been played much since. Hang Fire, Let Me Go, She's So Cold -- very nice! Also the version of Satisfaction was the best up until perhaps this tour -- at least at Fleet, it was the unexpected surprise of the nite in my mind.

My 2 cents on why I rarely listen to '81.

"Start Me Up" from the '81 tour is the best version in my opinion
09-06-02 05:06 PM
swapwoodfortaylor If you want to hear truely shit sound.....wait until Earls Court next year.
09-06-02 05:13 PM
Soul Survivor why
09-06-02 05:19 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Why?.......because the echo is beyond belief. Some of the greedy bands that use there even hang big rags up to no avail! It will actually be irritating to listen to The Stones live!! But Hell...our attendance at all shows is compulsory! I can't wait!!
09-06-02 05:19 PM
Soul Survivor "Earles Court '76" sounds quite nice
09-06-02 05:45 PM
sammy davis jr. One word why the band was playing everything too fast in '81....cocaine. I agree that the guitars sounded tinny in '81, '84' '89...since forever. The boys need to step up and get Marshall's.
09-06-02 05:52 PM
~AzQb
quote:
swapwoodfortaylor wrote:
If you want to hear truely shit sound.....wait until Earls Court next year.

...Yo DAWG!!! Snce these shows have UltimatelyProven, you may change yer handle now

LOL

~~
09-06-02 05:54 PM
Scottfree Huh,81 the guitars sounded tiny? I have a boot from Washington 81' certainly the best and tightest guitar I have heard from the Stones! The boot is called "Time is on my side", great soundboard recording, great weaving, Ronnie was hot especially on Just my Imagination!!
09-06-02 07:53 PM
Angiegirl Yep, the Stones have sound issues. Lots of bands have them because of echoes and too many concrete walls in (older?) venues. It's difficult. I know the Stones do have the most expensive sound equipment available, but sometimes the technician uses older stuff together with the new stuff, so that all the possibilities from the new equipment are not used max. Don't know if that's the case for this tour too.
They also usually have a local sound guy/woman around who knows the venues better. My friend's colleague has done that for a Dutch sound company (AMPCO) in '94 and '98. With him, I've been in the sound tower in the ArenA in Amsterdam on July 6 '98 for a brief moment to look around. But I don't know all the facts and truth.

I do know this fact: the sound in the Arena was awful on most nights in 98. And they are coming back to this venue (stadium) next year...
09-06-02 08:22 PM
stonedinaustralia one reason would have to be because arenas and stadiums are poor venues for a rock'n'roll gig -(out doors no acoustics or natural reverb - with big in-door arenas there is some natural echo but it's usually terrible)- especially out-doors with any sort of breeze blowing

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
09-06-02 08:26 PM
chevysales
quote:
Ken wrote:

He would be right. For the Fleetcenter at least Chuck and the back up singing trio had reduced rolls. This is very welcome by many of the die hards myself included.

Don't get me wrong, I've grown to like Lisa, Bernard and Blondie. I have nothing against Chuck, I want more guitars.
Yes the guitars are playing a bigger roll thus far, but I still think they are lacking.

I don't know if it's there playing or just the sound that there guitars/amps generate, but I don't really like it. I didn't like it 97, 99 or so far this year. Ya know, I think it might be the bass lines??

Ken

interesting the base lines????

personally i think it is simply the way the guitars and amps sound.........but hey i am just a 46 year old fan who focuses on a different part at each show and i liked the fleet and the reduced role of the extras.

as for foxboro i thought the guitars were fine, now that being said i don't think you can get bad sound with stones setup within the area we sat and seem to have for first 8 shows (rite in front by keiths mike) :>)

but as for the b stage: here is the rap from the nfl people involved with that stadium-it has an intense swirling wind that is a kickers nightmare and it appears to have been atleast partially to blame for sound one gets at b stage.

during the sound check the b stage sounded fine out under bridge entrance by pro shop where the wind blows straight thru. this would sound different from other end of floor area, and it did.

these are football stadiums, not sound studios.
[Edited by chevysales]
09-07-02 09:49 AM
nankerphelge I also seem to recall that Chaz complained during B2B that by using the PA system of the main stage while on the B-stage, the lag was difficult to adjust to. It seemed to me last week that when they were on the B-stage, the main stage PA was turned down -- anyone have any info on that -- that could explain the low-horse power on the B!