ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Congratulations Cucho, a second edition! Now printed in Spain
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Does Keith ever play SSC in open-g? Return to archive
2nd September 2007 03:22 PM
mrhipfl I'm listening to the '81 Silverdome version of "She's so Cold" right now and it sounds like Keith's in open-g. Can anyone verify? It sounds rawer in standard tuning imo. And wasn't "I wanna hold you" played in open-g in the past as well? It'd be easier to play it that way so I don't understand why he changed to standard for the last tour. Are there other songs for which Keith changed tunings over the years?
2nd September 2007 03:30 PM
Got Me Rockin On the album Ronnie is the lead, I've never heard the version your talking about though.
2nd September 2007 03:56 PM
Reptile I can verify that.
2nd September 2007 03:59 PM
Mel Belli He played Stray Cat Blues in open-G in '02 and '03; Let's Spend the Night Together in '97-'98. I had assumed that he made the switch because, with his arthritis, it was easier to fret the chords. He seems to have reverted back to standard in many cases -- and plays even less rhythm guitar as a result.
2nd September 2007 04:16 PM
wooden IORAR in 75 -76 ,..played in open G
2nd September 2007 05:02 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I had assumed that he made the switch because, with his arthritis, it was easier to fret the chords.

I was contemplating that too, but with open-g you only need one finger to fret a chord. It's so much easier than standard.
3rd September 2007 12:27 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I'm listening to the '81 Silverdome version of "She's so Cold" right now and it sounds like Keith's in open-g. Can anyone verify? It sounds rawer in standard tuning imo. And wasn't "I wanna hold you" played in open-g in the past as well? It'd be easier to play it that way so I don't understand why he changed to standard for the last tour. Are there other songs for which Keith changed tunings over the years?

i dont think theres are many songs he doesnt play in open g now
3rd September 2007 12:39 PM
bilsim KEEF does what he fucking wants! But seriously, I THINK he does play it in open G, but don't take my word for it.
3rd September 2007 01:57 PM
muncy23 I can confirm that he did not play SSC in open G. I have heard the show and he simply bars the heck out of a standard tuned, solid bodied, guitar.
3rd September 2007 02:19 PM
mrhipfl thanks for the replies, guys. There ended up watching it on Let's spend the night together. It's in open-g with a tele.
3rd September 2007 10:15 PM
mmdog
It seemed in the clips I've seen from '81-'82, that Keith is playing the main riff and opens the song. In '05-'07, it seems like Ronnie kicks it off, and plays it. Am I right about that? Honestly I like the A Bigger Bnag versions best.
3rd September 2007 10:22 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
mmdog wrote:

It seemed in the clips I've seen from '81-'82, that Keith is playing the main riff and opens the song. In '05-'07, it seems like Ronnie kicks it off, and plays it. Am I right about that? Honestly I like the A Bigger Bnag versions best.

Yeah, you're right. I like the current version more, too.
4th September 2007 01:14 AM
Poplar
not in open G, ever. but he played it in 81/82 in a style that sounds like open G. i think that's what you're hearing. Listen to "Shattered in Europe." He chops at that 12th fret G in a way that's really just one string short of the "open." Whenever i play that tune, i try to attack it that way.

ps - i think the Austin version is the best part of the new DVD set. it's fucking awesome. the boys nail it, and they all seem to realize they're nailing it.

4th September 2007 04:42 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Poplar wrote:

not in open G, ever. but he played it in 81/82 in a style that sounds like open G. i think that's what you're hearing. Listen to "Shattered in Europe." He chops at that 12th fret G in a way that's really just one string short of the "open." Whenever i play that tune, i try to attack it that way.

ps - i think the Austin version is the best part of the new DVD set. it's fucking awesome. the boys nail it, and they all seem to realize they're nailing it.

they needed to play Hangfire and Bye Bye Johnny too
4th September 2007 04:47 AM
Mathijs
quote:
Poplar wrote:

not in open G, ever. but he played it in 81/82 in a style that sounds like open G.

In 81/82 keith plays SSC in open G. The studio version is in standard tuning though.

Stray Cat Blues in open D in the studio, standard in '69 and '76, and open G on the last tours.

Mathijs
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)