ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Congratulations Cucho, a second edition! Now printed in Spain
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who is the bigger band The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
2nd September 2007 06:37 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

well, yeah, although its hard to compare because the Stones era as a 'stadium band' really only began in 1981 (their stadium shows were pretty sporadic in the 70's) after Zeppelin had disbanded.

I think for some years LZ held a record for the biggest crowd at a one-act show (55,000 or so in Tampa in 1973), so I think they were regularly playing those sort of venues earlier. Plus they played TWO shows at Knebworth in 1979 and I think they were maybe a bigger concert draw than anyone in the '70's.

Its certainly one of those imponderables as to how you define 'bigger'. For example, even now the Stones are the biggest concert draw worldwide if you define it by concert grosses, if you define it by ticket sales between them and U2 it's closer, whereas if you were to throw in record sales, the Stones wouldnt be anywhere near #1.

I'd guess that at the minute the biggest band in the world in terms of record sales in the last decade may even be the Red Hot Chili Peppers ('Californication' sold 15 million, 'By The Way' maybe a little less, and the new double Cd 'Stadium Arcadium' having clocked up 7 million since being released about 15 months ago). They seem to be a much bigger concert draw outside the US than inside it, though.

my opinion at this point is..... whatever rocks ur boat
2nd September 2007 06:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

my opinion at this point is..... whatever rocks ur boat

I've been on the same boat for thirty years. I'm not planning to disembark any time soon......!
2nd September 2007 07:06 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I've been on the same boat for thirty years. I'm not planning to disembark any time soon......!

same here (well for 10 years)
2nd September 2007 07:20 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Gazza wrote:

But if Plant, Page, JPJ, Lil' Bonzo and sound and light crews clamber aboard in Belfast...
2nd September 2007 07:35 PM
Gazza Belfast yeah (the same city where they actually debuted 'Stairway to heaven' in fact), but I wouldnt go any farther.

I like them but they wouldnt be in my top 20 or 30 favourite acts.
2nd September 2007 07:47 PM
fireontheplatter i just can't wait to hear how plants voice will sound after 148 shows.

it's pretty much shot now.

2nd September 2007 09:25 PM
LoveinVainRonnie Well sales are one thing, they present more of fact, and by fact I mean by albums sold, not by how good or bad they are, because we all know shit sales too...Which one is bigger is more or less an opinion.

There are a lot of great artist that don't sell a lot, because they don't have the right look or throw away lyrics of the moment, and then there are great artist that sell a lot...And shitty ones that sell more than the great ones.

I mean what it comes down to , is "Do you buy records based on sales, popularity, and because you think you should own their record by reputation in the industry?" Or do you "Buy records and go to shows based on your own opinion...

Cause if you only want to look at the sales, then you must have a few n sync or britney records in your collection...Cause lord knows they've sold a shit load more and at the very least cater to entertainment not art.

I know this thread is about who is bigger based on sales or touring...But for me The Stones are, even if they aren't pushing sales or tickets...They've managed to stick it together all these years, and that isn't easy.

p.s. I've seen lots of people wearing Stones and Led Z's shirts that don't give a hoot about their music...I've seen their shirts in walmarts too.

[Edited by LoveinVainRonnie]
2nd September 2007 11:11 PM
Kilroy The Stones
3rd September 2007 10:45 AM
souldoggie Why do people claim that Led Zeppelin never released singles? I think it must stem from an interview, or interviews with the band members themselves back in the day. Absolute nonsense.

The fact is that Led Zeppelin released singles from every album. Beleive me, Atlantic Records saw to that.

I know they released them, I own them, from Good Times, Bad Times (Atlantic 2613 #80 US)) to Whole Lotta Love (#4 US, 11/22/69) to Immigrant Song (#16 US 11/21/70) to Black Dog (#15 US) to Rock and Roll (#47 US) to Over The Hill And Far Away (#51 US) to D'yer Mak'er (#20 US) to Trampled Under Foot (#38 US) to Fool In The Rain (#21 US). I also have several non-chart singles, Candy Store Rock and some other ones, I don't have my box of Zep 45's in front of me. Stairway To Heaven was also released in 7 inch 45 RPM form as a DJ only release in the USA with a special sleeve urging the FM stations to play it. The radio stations played it, OK there's an understatement.
3rd September 2007 11:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
souldoggie wrote:
Why do people claim that Led Zeppelin never released singles? I think it must stem from an interview, or interviews with the band members themselves back in the day. Absolute nonsense.

The fact is that Led Zeppelin released singles from every album. Beleive me, Atlantic Records saw to that.

yes. In America, as can be seen from your stats. Like I said earlier, the US was an exception.

For pretty much all their career, they didnt do so elsewhere. They certainly didnt in the UK.
3rd September 2007 11:48 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

yes. In America, as can be seen from your stats. Like I said earlier, the US was an exception.

For pretty much all their career, they didnt do so elsewhere. They certainly didnt in the UK.

I'm not sure I was aware of even the U.S.-only singles ... That the band never released *any* singles at all is a pretty widespread meme...
3rd September 2007 11:57 AM
Gazza Yeah, thats certainly something thats been widely perpetuated, but outside the US it's generally true I think. What singles were released in other territories were certainly few and far between

Just checked and "Whole Lotta Love" was their only commercially released UK single (#21 in 1969)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_discography

There were a lot of promos, however
3rd September 2007 12:09 PM
souldoggie I was a record buying fool in those days, the 70's. I'd buy the Stones singles and LP's and I'd buy Zeppelin's singles and LP's. I loved both bands because both bands were great.

The Stones always charted their singles higher and received more airplay, especially on AM radio in those days. Led Zeppelin always outsold the Stones in the LP department. Zeppeiln was regarded as "cooler" then the Stones during my high school days, 1971-1975. I loved them both, I have always had a special love for UK bands!!

Every now and then, I'd get a treat when buying the Stones or Zep's new single because the B-side would be unreleased on the LP, or the A-side would be a different mix. Not often, however.

I saw them both live, too. The Stones in the summer of '75 and Zeppelin in the spring of '77. Both shows kicked ass.
3rd September 2007 12:11 PM
Mel Belli They were enormously popular, any way you shake it. And there's a segment of the male population -- the dungeons-and-dragon-type wankers -- that will always be drawn to them.

I went through a long and serious Zep phase myself, and though I still admire them, I do find a lot of that material unlistenable today.
3rd September 2007 12:13 PM
speedfreakjive )And there's a segment of the male population -- the dungeons-and-dragon-type wankers -- that will always be drawn to them.(

postin
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
3rd September 2007 12:20 PM
souldoggie "I went through a long and serious Zep phase myself, and though I still admire them, I do find a lot of that material unlistenable today."

Agreed 100% Mr. Beli.

I remember when I read back in the 70's in Circus or Creem magazine, Jimmy Page saying he'd do anything to get Keith's tone that he had on "Dance Little Sister." I would show my "Stones haters, Zep lovers" friends that magazine quote just to drive them crazy.

From my stand point, the drum sound on so many of those Zeppeilin tracks is still remarkable.
3rd September 2007 01:15 PM
Lethargy This will end up as an infinite circular argument, mostly due to the vague definition of "biggest"? Does biggest mean "most popular" (probably Beatles if you polled everyone on Earth), "most successful" (Stones in terms of touring), or just "best" (Stones to everyone on this board, but totally subjective). I can't think Zep would win in any category except perhaps "most anticipated reunion", which doesn't mean squat. I think they're kind of lame, personally.

3rd September 2007 01:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
They were enormously popular, any way you shake it. And there's a segment of the male population -- the dungeons-and-dragon-type wankers -- that will always be drawn to them.

Brilliant..LOL

God knows what OUR 'stereotype' is....!
3rd September 2007 05:35 PM
the good
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
They were enormously popular, any way you shake it. And there's a segment of the male population -- the dungeons-and-dragon-type wankers -- that will always be drawn to them.

I went through a long and serious Zep phase myself, and though I still admire them, I do find a lot of that material unlistenable today.

Great post. I was the same way, but I really can't say I admire them anymore. So much of their stuff is just cacaphony. I still like when the levee breaks, in the evening, and good times bad times, buts that really about it. God only knows what the hell I ever saw in black dog.
[Edited by the good]
3rd September 2007 05:42 PM
andrews27 If there's something unlistenable about Led live, then you're not downloading enough. You guys are starting to sound like everybody you hate for ignorantly hating the Stones.
3rd September 2007 05:54 PM
the good
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
If there's something unlistenable about Led live, then you're not downloading enough. You guys are starting to sound like everybody you hate for ignorantly hating the Stones.

Its not ignorance. I used to like them.
3rd September 2007 06:08 PM
Glimmer Twin Hey this is a good thread.

I'm with those that say Stones by a mile. Zep have a dozen or so good songs and a handful of great songs. Stones are deep and wide and with more versitility.

The Rolling Stones: The greatest rock and roll band in the world!!
4th September 2007 01:27 PM
guitarman53 #1-The Stones for me for sure, as the biggest, I seen Led Zep. in '74, just as their 4th album was released, I loved the 3 musicians for their musical talent, but Plant doesn't even come close to Jagger as a performer, & I wonder if he (Plant) can still maintain those high vocals, but I loved Led Zep. back then, but as survivors it's the Stones.
4th September 2007 02:56 PM
polytoxic Mick and Keith after listening to Ramble On

Jimmy Page after listening to Happy

;-)
4th September 2007 03:02 PM
gimmekeef I enjoy them both for different reasons...Stones I can play all night while Zep for me has always been short but mighty bursts.But givem their due...they made some mighty fine music....Funny but their best pure rocker needed Stu to put it over the top!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)