ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Congratulations Cucho, a second edition! Now printed in Spain
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who is the bigger band The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
2nd September 2007 11:05 AM
Gazza This article may give some idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists

Now hands up who has heard of Alla Pugacheva.....
2nd September 2007 11:11 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You forgot Elvis!

Dylan and The Who arent anywhere near those other acts in terms of sales figures

The Eagles, Michael Jackson, ABBA, Elton and Pink Floyd have also sold in much greater numbers worldwide.

Not to mention the likes of Garth Brooks, Streisand etc. Some of these acts maybe havent sold as hugely in markets like the US (ABBA for example) but are still one of the biggest selling acts ever.

Remember also we're limiting ourselves to 'western' popular music. No doubt there are acts in Asia for example who have sold in huge numbers as well, but who we've never heard of.

I was referring to bands...(and included Dylan cause I lol felt like it).Just looking at overall ranking including sales tours and general band popularity...and btw ....lmaoo..Elvis was a country gospel hick witha fat gut....Never could understand all that King shit..Just an American method of countering the Brit Invasion..see?..we have teh King...The only true King from Memphis..is pro wrestler Jerry The King Lawler!....shit I need a beer!
2nd September 2007 11:12 AM
Mel Belli The critic Robert Christgau got things exactly right when he wrote of the Stones: "At least until the time of the punks, no one ever rocked on out with more ecstatic energy. But it is their realism, bordering at its most suspect on cynicism, that makes all that energy interesting and ensures that their following will never be as huge as that of the high-spirited Beatles (or of a techno-cosmic doomshow like Led Zeppelin, either)."

Another way to put it is that women cry at Paul McCartney concerts. Nobody cries at Rolling Stones concerts.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
2nd September 2007 11:14 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

I was referring to bands...(and included Dylan cause I lol felt like it).Just looking at overall ranking including sales tours and general band popularity...and btw ....lmaoo..Elvis was a country gospel hick witha fat gut....Never could understand all that King shit..Just an American method of countering the Brit Invasion..see?..we have teh King...The only true King from Memphis..is pro wrestler Jerry The King Lawler!....shit I need a beer!

No..you need a kick up the arse..LOL
2nd September 2007 11:16 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No..you need a kick up the arse..LOL

You've left me with no choice but to reply..."Fuck You Gazza will you!"
2nd September 2007 11:58 AM
Gazza Hugs and kisses!
Riffhard I don't know about all that Gazza. I mean, yeah, I get the records sales, and the huge impact that Zep had on subsequent bands. However, just the sheer fact that they have not toured in close to 30 years, or had a new studio release since 1980's In Through The Out Door speakes volumes to their current irrelevance.

The Stones have soldiered on since 1962. They have managed to set, and break, and rebreak every touring record on the books. They have been ubiquitous to the international stage for the last four plus decades. Plus there is no larger a rockstar than Mick Jagger, or a more rock and roll legendary figure than Keith Richards.

While it may be true that Led Zeppelin were the only game in town during the 70's that could consistently out sell the Stones. They never managed to hold it all together. Even before Bonham's death they were on the outs. Plant was ready to quit the band as early as 1978, and only Peter Grant's "negotiating" skills kept him in the band.

I just think that while Zep were a hugely influential band for their day, their day has been over for years. With the exception of their continued album sales and radio air play, what have they done for me lately? Page and the Black Crowes? Please!! The Page/Plant tag team tours from years past? Uhhh, don't think so! They just never seemed to have the "fire-in-the-belly" that has kept the Stones the number one touring bands for decades now. In other words-they don't have Mick Jagger!

Not to mention the fact that The Stones were honestly the Beatles only true foil for years prior to Zeppelin ever getting air born. I have yet to hear the argument about whether or not your a Beatles guy/gal or a Zeppelin guy/gal. The Rolling Stones have something going for them that Led Zeppelin can never lay claim to. The Rolling Stones are major rock royalty from the very first generation of that term. Not true with Zep.

So, for my money, The Rolling Stones are the largest band that the rock and roll world (The Beatles being more of a pop band imo) has ever seen. Or ever likely will see again in the future. I mean just the fact that a bunch sexagenarians can still sell out stadiums on every continant on the planet on their whim is stunning! Sure a Zeppelin tour would sell out worldwide, but the Stones have been doing that since 1969 nonstop! Zeppelin had an 8 year run. That's all.

Riffy
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Hugs and kisses!

Where?????
2nd September 2007 12:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I don't know about all that Gazza. I mean, yeah, I get the records sales, and the huge impact that Zep had on subsequent bands. However, just the sheer fact that they have not toured in close to 30 years, or had a new studio release since 1980's In Through The Out Door speakes volumes to their current irrelevance.

Naturally a band that hasnt worked for almost three decades would be currently 'irrelevant'. Shit, even the Stones are a musical irrelevance now, even though we dont like to admit it.

It's two different questions though. The Eagles have far outsold Dylan but that doesnt make them more historically important.

Zeppelin 'bigger' , Stones 'more culturally important'.
2nd September 2007 12:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

Where?????

Ulan Bator
2nd September 2007 12:21 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Ulan Bator

Come to Bono

2nd September 2007 12:50 PM
LoveinVainRonnie
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I think the Stones longevity and continued touring has slightly diminished their stature.Imagine if Stones quit after the 75 Tour...with the run of albums to Some Girls...And there was word today they were going to re-form and tour?....Would make this Zep rumour pale in comparison.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the Stones material isn't as valuable yet to the public, because they are still together making music and touring. Who is to say if Led kept on trucking like the Stones if their cds or popularity would still be the same.

Sometimes I think when there is less of a great thing people are more rabid about it.

Not to mention the mere fact that the Stones continued and are still in large demand for touring, says just as much as a band reuniting and being in high demand to me...It's like they never had to leave to sustain the demands, they are that good.

[Edited by LoveinVainRonnie]
2nd September 2007 12:52 PM
the good I'll make a prediction here. A Zep tour will not be nearly as big or successful as everyone seems to think it will be. Zep was never a great live band, they don't have a ton of hit songs to play (they certainly can't play 2 hours of hits like the Stones can),Robert Plant is boring on stage, and Jimmy Page looks like Jackie Gleason.
2nd September 2007 12:58 PM
LoveinVainRonnie
quote:
the good wrote:
I'll make a prediction here. A Zep tour will not be nearly as big or successful as everyone seems to think it will be. Zep was never a great live band, they don't have a ton of hit songs to play (they certainly can't play 2 hours of hits like the Stones can),Robert Plant is boring on stage, and Jimmy Page looks like Jackie Gleason.

Exactly. Jeff Beck Group FTW.
2nd September 2007 01:12 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
the good wrote:
I'll make a prediction here. A Zep tour will not be nearly as big or successful as everyone seems to think it will be. Zep was never a great live band, they don't have a ton of hit songs to play (they certainly can't play 2 hours of hits like the Stones can),Robert Plant is boring on stage, and Jimmy Page looks like Jackie Gleason.

Page looks like Jackie Gleason?...lmao..Thats to the moon postin Alice!
2nd September 2007 01:49 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
This article may give some idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists

What? A-ha over 50 million sold?
2nd September 2007 02:02 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Dylan 3-CD compilation also out the same day!

Best of... Not sure If'n I'll get that...
2nd September 2007 02:02 PM
pdog
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:
Led WHAT??

Led COCK in your mouth.
2nd September 2007 02:07 PM
LoveinVainRonnie
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

What? A-ha over 50 million sold?

The list is right for maybe the first few, but after that there are people missing, and how updated are these sells really? I think not that updated.
2nd September 2007 02:38 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
pdog wrote:

Led COCK in your mouth.

You make Bono cry!
2nd September 2007 02:43 PM
pdog
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

You make Bono cry!

I'll beat you like I own you!
2nd September 2007 02:49 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
pdog wrote:

I'll beat you like I own you!

That's kinda gay, but there's nothing wrong with that. (wink, wink)
2nd September 2007 02:49 PM
LadyJane Is this a joke?

Zep never did a thing for me.
Plant's voice is akin to nails on a chalkboard, imhfo.

No comparison.

Stones rule.

Always have.

Always will.

LJ.

2nd September 2007 02:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Is this a joke?

Zep never did a thing for me.
Plant's voice is akin to nails on a chalkboard, imhfo.

No comparison.

Stones rule.

Always have.

Always will.

LJ.

No one was asking who our 'favourite' band was.....
2nd September 2007 02:55 PM
LadyJane I believe Riffy hit the nail on the head!

LJ.
2nd September 2007 05:02 PM
_Boomy_ LZ gets more airplay on the rock radio stations than the Stones. Some rock stations don't even play the Stones, and that's not including modern/alternative rock stations.

I happen to like both, but sometimes it just seems like LZ went too far with the epic stuff. More than likely, I like things when they're straight to the point, and some of LZ just drags on and on.

The Stones have a few lengthy tracks, but it's almost as if there's a reason they should be lengthy, unlike LZ's longer tracks, which just happen to showcase certain individual talents. If that were the case, why not just go solo instead of being in a band?
2nd September 2007 05:40 PM
Wide As The Clyde Led Zeppelin were the band that finally made Jimmy Page rich and famous. That's what Jimmy was striving for. He'd have joined a barbershop quartet if he'd thought it could get him on 'Top Of The Pops' and a gig or two in the USA.

The Rolling Stones were grown, whereas Led Zeppelin were built.
2nd September 2007 05:42 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
the good wrote:
I'll make a prediction here. A Zep tour will not be nearly as big or successful as everyone seems to think it will be.

Check out Billboard's take on a LZ reunion from a few weeks back.
The number$ are pretty impre$$ive...

Led Zeppelin tour in '08?
By Ray Waddell
7/31/07

It would be big. Potentially one of the biggest ever.
I'm talking, of course, about the increased chatter regarding a Led Zeppelin reunion tour for 2008 featuring founding members Robert Plant on vocals, Jimmy Page on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass, with Jason Bonham, son of the late Zep drummer John Bonham, manning the skins.

There has been no announcement that this tour is going to happen, and Plant has publicly denied it will take place. Billboard in general and myself in particular aren't usually in the rumor business. But this thing is starting to take on a certain air of reality. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

For years, a Led Zeppelin tour, or the closest thing to it in the absence of John Bonham, has been considered the holy grail of the touring world.

Plant and Page toured arenas together in the mid-'90s. With a killer backing band, the pair reported $31.4 million from 63 shows that drew 1,028,678 people. That was enough to make Plant/Page the seventh-grossing tour of the year at a time when the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead and the Eagles were all touring stadiums.

And remember, 1995 was the cusp of exploding ticket prices. A ticket price higher than $100 was rare; the Stones topped out most dates at $50 that year, the Dead were $33.50 tops and the Eagles had shattered the glass ceiling but were still mostly less than $100.

While the days of coast-to-coast stadium tours appear to be behind us, a Led Zeppelin tour will undoubtedly play scattered stadiums in North America and probably all stadiums in Europe. The tour would most likely be a creative "mix and match" route similar to what the Stones have done recently.

So let's be conservative and say Led Zeppelin averages $225 per ticket, with top seats at a Stones-esque $450 and a low end at $75. It's a big production, so you get an arena capacity of about 15,000 max. Say 5,000 tickets at $75, 5,000 at $200, 3,000 at $300 and 2,000 at $450, for the sake of discussion. That comes to a gross of $3.2 million for one night.

Suddenly those 1,028,678 headbangers Plant and Page played to in 1995 generate a gross of $231,452,550 in 2008. From those 63 shows the average gross is now $3.7 million, compared with slightly less than $500,000 per night then.

Given the status this tour would have and what it would take to get these guys out on the road, it's not unreasonable to assume the guarantee would be in the $3-million-per-night range. The merchandise numbers would be astronomical, $15 per head or better, so that brings in another $15.4 million minimum, with online sales bringing in plenty more. Plus, there no doubt would be some serious live DVD possibilities, not to mention there's talk of a new compilation release, and catalog sales at large would receive a terrific boost. Let's not forget VIP and fan-club packages, and a high- seven-figure sponsorship deal. And, hey, while were at it, let's get them in the studio to record some new material under the Zep brand. Now that's big. *
2nd September 2007 05:56 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Stones arent even close to Zeppelin in record sales. Using the RIAA figures alone (and this is just for the US), Zeppelin's album sales are 109.5 million (4th behind The Beatles, Elvis and Garth Brooks(!)) and the Stones are 11th with 66 million.
http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt

Zeppelin's worldwide album sales are estimated at 300 million. source - http://www.led-zeppelin.com/news/vh1_9.14.06.html

Its hard to quantify how many the Stones have sold (maybe Soldatti could help) but I'd guess its in the 200-250 million range.

The Stones certainly had more 'hits' but thats something to do with the fact that (with a few exceptions in the US), Led Zeppelin refused to issue singles.

I'd agree with what you say about the Stones being bigger 'icons' but thats not really the same thing. Every day now I see teenage kids walking around town or in work wearing a 'vintage' Stones tongue t-shirt. Any time I've spoken to any of them and remarked on their shirt, they've either let me know "its a Stones tongue you know" (like theyve discovered something no one should know) or said that they just liked the shirt and arent really fans. Not a single one of them said they were going to see the Stones in Ireland this summer.
[Edited by Gazza]

i'm quite taken aback by those statistics Gazza!!!

i really wouldn't have realised that Zep had such a massive appeal

but in terms of 'big' surely one has to consider the impact of live shows??
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
2nd September 2007 06:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

i'm quite taken aback by those statistics Gazza!!!

i really wouldn't have realised that Zep had such a massive appeal

but in terms of 'big' surely one has to consider the impact of live shows??

well, yeah, although its hard to compare because the Stones era as a 'stadium band' really only began in 1981 (their stadium shows were pretty sporadic in the 70's) after Zeppelin had disbanded.

I think for some years LZ held a record for the biggest crowd at a one-act show (55,000 or so in Tampa in 1973), so I think they were regularly playing those sort of venues earlier. Plus they played TWO shows at Knebworth in 1979 and I think they were maybe a bigger concert draw than anyone in the '70's.

Its certainly one of those imponderables as to how you define 'bigger'. For example, even now the Stones are the biggest concert draw worldwide if you define it by concert grosses, if you define it by ticket sales between them and U2 it's closer, whereas if you were to throw in record sales, the Stones wouldnt be anywhere near #1.

I'd guess that at the minute the biggest band in the world in terms of record sales in the last decade may even be the Red Hot Chili Peppers ('Californication' sold 15 million, 'By The Way' maybe a little less, and the new double Cd 'Stadium Arcadium' having clocked up 7 million since being released about 15 months ago). They seem to be a much bigger concert draw outside the US than inside it, though.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)