ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
Š Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Primal Scream - Riot City Blues Return to archive
5th September 2006 04:11 PM
Zeeta

You should buy this album.

They've always wanted to be the Stones and this is as close as they've ever come IMO. Oh they even have a song dedicated to The New York Dolls on this record and it almost sonds as good as they did!
Yeah there's a couple of naff shit tracks but what album doesn't have duff tracks these days...?

If you're a Stones fan you're gonna love it and that's why I posted it here cos apparently we're all Stones fans, although sometimes you wouldn't guess that!

Anyay don't take my word for it take some hack's review at allmusic.com

Review by Thom Jurek

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Riot City Blues is another attempt at straight-up trad rock where the ghosts of the Faces, the Rolling Stones, and others come traipsing into Bobby Gillespie's scope and he goes for it. Some heard an overly strenuous attempt at this on 1994's Give Out But Don't Give Up, where it worked not at all due to the band's attempt at literally mimicking the sounds of the aforementioned bands without adding anything else to the mix. Riot City Blues is a much more relaxed effort, and benefits significantly from that stance. Yeah, it's true that on first listen "Country Girl," the album's opener, sounds like an in-the-studio gathering of the Stones and the Faces riotously attempting a country gospel song -- but on deeper observation, it feels more like Delaney & Bonnie & Friends on Motel Shot. The straight-up raw boogie rock of "Nitty Gritty" takes the Delaney & Bonnie move even deeper and brings elements of R&B into the equation. This is late-night drunken rockism. It's not carefully crafted; it's throwing something at the wall because it's there to throw. Riot City Blues is not an "album as event" as many past Primal Scream records were; this is an "album for its own sake" recording. It's an offering where it really seems that Gillespie doesn't care if he loses his hipster following -- all that matters is that Riot City Blues rocks.

One can hear traces of not only the Faces but everything from early Alice Cooper (ā la Killer) to Mott the Hoople, David Bowie, the Kinks, the New York Dolls, and a whole lot of other rock & roll bands. Looser than the Black Crowes, thinner than even the Black Keys; it's simply shambolic from top to bottom. This is trashy, nasty rock music that doesn't feel modern but it does feel timeless. The songs are riff-centric, some of them joyous, others darkly freaky -- "When the Bomb Drops" is a fine example, and the complete dope and guitar orgy of "Suicide Sally & Johnny Guitar" is in the red zone in the same way "Suffragette City" is. (One can feel the gigantic pub-crawling smile of Mick Ronson from some strange Valhalla.) Most of the tracks here were produced by ex-Killing Joke bassist/Orb collaborator Youth, with a pair recorded and produced by the rather less intense Andrew Innes. Whether "We're Gonna Boogie," with its bluesy harmonica and slide guitar -- with Bobby Gillespie sounding like Donovan singing the Stones' "Country Honk" -- is taking the piss or not is debatable, but it's a gas to listen to, as is the down-home "Hell's Comin' Down," with its fiddle (courtesy of the Dirty Three and Bad Seeds' Warren Ellis), high-strung guitars, 12-strings, and mandolins. The 12-bar blues formula used on the latter cut is particularly refreshing. "Dolls" is such a raucous joy that it's infectious. It's a given that Riot City Blues, issued in 2006, is easily the most unhip record Primal Scream have ever issued. The songs are little more than dressing for the riffs, but they have lots of humor and cleverness and they lack the snide hipsterism of the times. It doesn't matter. Listened to with an open mind, it's a refreshingly retro rock & roll album that uses its waste-oid imagination in capturing every fantasy that entered Bobby Gillespie's teenage mind. Get it. [The U.S. edition of the album includes three bonus tracks (including a cover of John Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth") and the "non censored" version of the "Country Girl" video.]

ENJOY!

5th September 2006 05:55 PM
Saint Sway fun record!!!

I've been enjoying this for awhile now!!

not the smartest or most talented bunch. But if you found thier GOBDGU record to be a wonderfull little Stones-rip, friday night, guilty-pleasure record (like i do) then you'll enjoy this one too

its fun and thank god they're not making another techno crap record

fav tracks:
Country Girl
Dolls
Hells Comin Down
Nitty Gritty
Sometimes I Feel So Lonely
5th September 2006 05:59 PM
RollingstonesUSA I just downloaded it, listening to it now....
5th September 2006 06:04 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
I just downloaded it, listening to it now....

poor yourself a shot
5th September 2006 06:04 PM
pdog I may get this based on recomendations.
Always looking for good stuff...
5th September 2006 06:10 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

poor yourself a shot

I am at the place to do it!,lol
5th September 2006 06:13 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:

I am at the place to do it!,lol

then crank album & commence struttin
5th September 2006 06:14 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
pdog wrote:
So you're growing a beard...

It's already grown....
5th September 2006 06:15 PM
Gazza Fun record, a bit lightweight and cliched lyrically - but pleasant listening musically
5th September 2006 06:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've been diggin' on Riot City Blues for a while now too. Best album Primal Scream has done in quite a while, IMO.
5th September 2006 08:24 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Best album Primal Scream has done in quite a while, IMO.

Totally agree. Great album!
6th September 2006 04:30 AM
Zeeta 99th Floor is the best song in my opinion fuckin rocks!

Just good to see a band making a fun record and crankin up the amps to 11 and not taking themselves too seriously.
They played a great set at Reading and Leeds festival Mani the bassist and ex member of The Stone Roses got arrested for being drunk and disorderly in a Leeds bar. They started the set 30 minutes later with Mani absolutely fucked out of his mind but he played a fabulous show!

Rock and roll!
6th September 2006 05:29 AM
star star
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
99th Floor is the best song in my opinion fuckin rocks!

Just good to see a band making a fun record and crankin up the amps to 11 and not taking themselves too seriously.
They played a great set at Reading and Leeds festival Mani the bassist and ex member of The Stone Roses got arrested for being drunk and disorderly in a Leeds bar. They started the set 30 minutes later with Mani absolutely fucked out of his mind but he played a fabulous show!

Rock and roll!

totally agree! the screams set at leeds was something to behold- typically they showed the younger generation what rock n roll is all about!
6th September 2006 08:58 AM
RollingstonesUSA Country Girl

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)