ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Paris Hilton targeted in CD prank (NSC) Return to archive
4th September 2006 04:42 AM
Gazza Paris Hilton targeted in CD prank

Paris Hilton's album entered the UK chart at number 29 last week

Hundreds of Paris Hilton albums have been tampered with in the latest stunt by "guerrilla artist" Banksy.
Banksy has replaced Hilton's CD with his own remixes and given them titles such as Why am I Famous?, What Have I Done? and What Am I For?

He has also changed pictures of her on the CD sleeve to show the US socialite topless and with a dog's head.

A spokeswoman for Banksy said he had doctored 500 copies of her debut album Paris in 48 record shops across the UK.

She told the BBC News website: "He switched the CDs in store, so he took the old ones out and put his version in."

It might be that there will be some people who agree with his views on the Paris Hilton album

HMV spokesman

But he left the original barcode so people could buy the CD without realising it had been interfered with.

Banksy is notorious for his secretive and subversive stunts such as sneaking doctored versions of classic paintings into major art galleries.

His spokeswoman said he had tampered with the CDs in branches of HMV and Virgin as well as independent record stores.

He visited cities including Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow and London, she added.

A spokesman for HMV said the chain had recovered seven CDs from two Brighton shops but was unaware that other locations were affected.

Artistic leeway

No customers had complained or returned a doctored version, he said.

"It's not the type of behaviour you'd want to see happening very often," he said.

"I guess you can give an individual such as Banksy a little bit of leeway for his own particular brand of artistic engagement.

"Often people might have a view on something but feel they can't always express it, but it's down to the likes of Banksy to say often what people think about things.

"And it might be that there will be some people who agree with his views on the Paris Hilton album."

A spokesman for Virgin Megastores said staff were searching for affected CDs but it was proving hard to find them all.

"I have to take my hat off - it's a very good stunt," he added.

4th September 2006 08:21 AM
corgi37 This fella sounds like a fucking legend!
4th September 2006 10:45 AM
Gazza LOL..he seems to be..check these out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4748063.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4563751.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4382245.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3201344.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2018739.stm

[Edited by Gazza]
4th September 2006 11:00 AM
glencar I did wonder whilst in London why the Cd's were generally not sealed.
4th September 2006 11:36 AM
gimmekeef Lets torrent this!......lmao!!!!
4th September 2006 12:46 PM
gorda
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
This fella sounds like a fucking legend!

Sounds like an idiot!

I'd be pissed! I didn't buy any CDs while I was in London. They were too expensive. A Razorlight CD was like £9 which in American currency is like $20 bucks. And, the other day, I saw a Razorlight CD advertised for like less than $8 bucks!

Anyways, if I had taken the crowded tube to go down to the Piccadilly Circus Virgen MegaStore and I had bought a CD. And, then put it in my suitcase, and then flown all the way back to Northern California, and then finally, when I got home, I would discover that I had the wrong CD!

I would be pissed!

P.S. I would never buy a Paris Hilton CD, but I'm sure the people that bought it, were pissed. And, if they didn't return them, it was probably because going back all the way to London to return it, is a hassle!
4th September 2006 12:50 PM
gorda P.S.S. I wonder if this guy is related to that "graffiti artist Chaka" from Southern California!

What an idiot!
4th September 2006 02:29 PM
MrPleasant Talking or even thinking about Paris Hilton is about as good as praising Mark David Chapman. Please, refer to her as "the brainless ugly skank" (or "BUS") and people shall understand.

Does the BUS get killed in a movie? I'm masturbating at the thought.
4th September 2006 03:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
gorda wrote:

Sounds like an idiot!

I'd be pissed! I didn't buy any CDs while I was in London. They were too expensive. A Razorlight CD was like £9 which in American currency is like $20 bucks.

Its just over $17 - its been decades since you could get over $2 to the pound

£9 for a CD in this country is a steal. Anything from £13-15 is normal for a new release in most stores.

quote:
P.S. I would never buy a Paris Hilton CD, but I'm sure the people that bought it, were pissed. And, if they didn't return them, it was probably because going back all the way to London to return it, is a hassle!

I believe there's such a thing now as a postal service which could minimize that problem. Anyway - read the article again -no one returned the CDs. What does that tell you?

And anyone fuckwitted enough to buy CDs by that brainless,ugly skank (BUS) deserves to have their purchase tampered with. The guy did them a favour.

[Edited by Gazza]
4th September 2006 06:43 PM
Joey

4th September 2006 09:31 PM
Soldatti Can't believe she already sold 160k worldwide.
4th September 2006 09:55 PM
glencar Not much more though. Her CD is viewed as a major sales bomb.
5th September 2006 12:51 AM
pdog This is the type of terrorism I condone!
5th September 2006 01:38 AM
gorda
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Its just over $17 - its been decades since you could get over $2 to the pound

£9 for a CD in this country is a steal. Anything from £13-15 is normal for a new release in most stores.
[Edited by Gazza]

The exchange rate is $1.90513 American dollars equals £1 British pound. In other words, you give them one American dollar and they will give you 0.52490 p.

P.S. The only reason, I mentioned Razorlight was because I had seen them on T.V. the night before, I went to the Virgen MegaStore, and the CD was supposedly "on sale" for £9!!! (I'm sorry , but for me, $17.00 for a CD is not a sale!) I'm used to going to Target or Walmart and getting CDs for like $13.00 or less!
5th September 2006 05:03 AM
Gazza
quote:
gorda wrote:

The exchange rate is $1.90513 American dollars equals £1 British pound. In other words, you give them one American dollar and they will give you 0.52490 p.

P.S. The only reason, I mentioned Razorlight was because I had seen them on T.V. the night before, I went to the Virgen MegaStore, and the CD was supposedly "on sale" for £9!!! (I'm sorry , but for me, $17.00 for a CD is not a sale!) I'm used to going to Target or Walmart and getting CDs for like $13.00 or less!

I checked the exchange rate yesterday and its as I quoted it above. £9 = $17.07

You miss the point though. £9 for a CD IS cheap in this country - but UK prices for CDs compared to what you pay in the US is outrageous. The basic rule of thumb I find is that what you pay in $ for a CD, we tend to pay in £. When you see the exchange rate, we definitely get ripped off.

[Edited by Gazza]
5th September 2006 08:28 AM
glencar Gazza, that's the bank rate. Consumers pay more. I bought pounds at $2.04-2,07. When I cashed them in at the end of my trip, I received $1.93 or so.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)