ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Blonde on Blonde revisited Return to archive
2nd September 2006 09:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Speaking of Dylan......
2nd September 2006 09:04 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Blonde on Blonde
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blonde_on_Blonde
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
2nd September 2006 09:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man It's a great album. I haven’t listened to it in a while, but I think Bringing It All Back Home is my favourite of the mid 60's albums.

Has Blonde On Blonde been remastered recently? The version I have is very quiet sounding.
2nd September 2006 09:21 AM
mac_daddy the sacd is wonderful...

the stereo mix is what i listen to - while i have heard the surround, i like my music in stereo (plus the gear i use is really set up for 2ch and not surround)... anyway, it sounds terrific - the piano is more present, sh*t, i could gush for days about this - it is just a revelation. big thumbs up from here.

you can listen to the mix on regular CD, too - just get the hybrid sacd - it has a redbook layer (hence the "hybrid")

this is my favorite dylan album - it always has been.
2nd September 2006 05:22 PM
aladdinstory i have all of those big three "electic dylan" releases, each on a different format:

bringing it all back-vinyl
highway 61-cassette
blonde on blonde-disc

while i love all three, with blonde on blone at the top, my favorite dylan (though i know not his best) is desire. there's something about that one, which I have on vinyl and CD
2nd September 2006 05:32 PM
Gazza Blonde on Blonde is the best album of the 60's and still, for me, one of the best four or five albums ever made by anyone. It also contains, in "Visions of Johanna",
the greatest song of Bob's entire career.

My fave Dylan album ever however is Blood On the Tracks, which I think is very slightly superior.

I bought the MasterSound "24-karat Gold Disc" version of Blonde On Blonde on CD which came out about a decade ago, and which is night and day superior to the original CD issue. They did a similar release with "Highway 61 Revisited", which is equally wonderful

Also have it as part of the Hybrid SACD boxed set of 15 albums that came out a couple of years ago. They're a fantastic collection - I hope they do a second volume
2nd September 2006 05:37 PM
MrPleasant "When I bumped into Michael Ochs, I told him I think I was in the stretch limo when Bob Dylan kicked Mike's late brother Phil out of the car and I could never figure out why. Mike, who said he'd just had an operation that left him with perfect vision without the need of his eyeglasses, told me what brother Phil told him. That Bob asked what did Phil think of Bob's Blonde on Blonde. According to Michael, when Phil's answer was that he thought some of it was genius and some of it was filler, that's when Bob threw him out of the stretch."

http://www.bigmagic.com/pages/blackj/column47.html
2nd September 2006 06:13 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
It's a great album. I haven’t listened to it in a while, but I think Bringing It All Back Home is my favourite of the mid 60's albums.

I listen To Bringing It Back home a bit also. We have very similar tastes in music. Maybe one day we'll meet .
2nd September 2006 06:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
"When I bumped into Michael Ochs, I told him I think I was in the stretch limo when Bob Dylan kicked Mike's late brother Phil out of the car and I could never figure out why. Mike, who said he'd just had an operation that left him with perfect vision without the need of his eyeglasses, told me what brother Phil told him. That Bob asked what did Phil think of Bob's Blonde on Blonde. According to Michael, when Phil's answer was that he thought some of it was genius and some of it was filler, that's when Bob threw him out of the stretch."

http://www.bigmagic.com/pages/blackj/column47.html

according to an interview with Ochs himself in Antony Scaduto's biography of Dylan it occurred a few months earlier, when Bob played him "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window" and Ochs dismissed it as "Ok, but it wont be a hit". His summary of its commercial appeal was spot-on. It flopped.
2nd September 2006 07:27 PM
Egbert
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
this is my favorite dylan album - it always has been.

Ditto
2nd September 2006 08:07 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

I listen To Bringing It Back home a bit also. We have very similar tastes in music. Maybe one day we'll meet .

I've told you before!

Come to England!
3rd September 2006 10:25 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Blonde on Blonde is the best album of the 60's and still, for me, one of the best four or five albums ever made by anyone. It also contains, in "Visions of Johanna",
the greatest song of Bob's entire career.

My fave Dylan album ever however is Blood On the Tracks, which I think is very slightly superior.

I bought the MasterSound "24-karat Gold Disc" version of Blonde On Blonde on CD which came out about a decade ago, and which is night and day superior to the original CD issue. They did a similar release with "Highway 61 Revisited", which is equally wonderful

Also have it as part of the Hybrid SACD boxed set of 15 albums that came out a couple of years ago. They're a fantastic collection - I hope they do a second volume

so which sounds better to you, the 24k gold discs or the sacd layer..?

3rd September 2006 10:36 AM
Gazza I think the SACD version has a slight edge, although not by a significant amount.

It is also a double-disc whereas the Gold Series is just one, if thats a factor of any significance

I remember when the album was first issued on CD in the mid 80's, back in the day when you could only get 72 minutes on a CD - and the first issue had over a minute edited out of 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands', so that they could get the album onto a single disc!! Aaargh!
[Edited by Gazza]
3rd September 2006 01:08 PM
glencar I shall play this again today!
3rd September 2006 11:41 PM
PeerQueer Bless you - a fantastic album.

Gonna be catching Dylan in a month or so.

His latest album is solid - not great, but solid.

I do wish the Stones could put up a quality album half as good as Dylan's last three...
4th September 2006 02:31 PM
MrPleasant My favorite Dylan album right now, is Street Legal. I look at the cover but I don't play it.
4th September 2006 03:26 PM
Jair
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
My favorite Dylan album right now, is Street Legal. I look at the cover but I don't play it.

why not?????
4th September 2006 03:30 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Jair wrote:

why not?????

Because I'm lazy. And I tend to annoy my family because they don't like my fucking music. Yet they are addicted to some lame ass mexican version of "So, you think you're a dick?" called "Bailando por la boda de mis sueños" ("Dancing for my dream wedding"). Yes, it's as bad as it sounds. Like watching the circus but without the lions. Also, one of my sisters has divorced his incredibly dumb fucking asshole husband. Good, I never wanted to be associated with such a stupid prick. I hope he dies a horrible deathm, the moron: he's a dickless son of a bitch who doesn't even have the nerve to look at his fucking daughters. I'm never gonna have any fucking children, because I do not want to put them to a similar fate.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
4th September 2006 03:34 PM
Gazza Post of the week!

I love the way you live up to your user name
[Edited by Gazza]
4th September 2006 03:49 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Post of the week!

I love the way you live up to your user name
[Edited by Gazza]

Sorry. I am leaving the board temporarily, though, and the booze. Thanks for letting me be.
4th September 2006 03:55 PM
Gazza Youve no need to apologise. Your post was funny as fuck

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)