ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Got the new 4 Reels BIG CS Blues.... Return to archive
August 27th, 2004 01:40 PM
The_Worst I have had a few copies of CS Blues over the years. This one is pretty good quality, probably the best. The color is definitely better in some areas. However what I don't understand is that the quality on this one seems to shift from scene to scene. For example, the jam with Stevie Wonder has great sound and picture. However, the scene with the girl shooting up has a grainy picture and the sound is not nearly as good. This differed from my previous copy where the quality probably wasn't as good all the time but it was consistent.

Now onto the bonus footage...

The Saville footage. This is pretty cool. Much of it is shot from just one camera though. Finally when they get to Carol they have some good angles but the sound goes out. Also, can anyone explain to me why everyone in the audience is sitting through their entire performance?!!?

I enjoyed the Austrailain documentry. It's amazing how much hate there appears to have existed between the Stones and the press. The bad part is that they show concert footage but it is overlayed with studio versions of the songs instead of the live audio...The interviews are good though...

The promos: These are great. I have only seen the promo for Angie before. I was never a big fan of "Till The Next Goodbye" but I had to listen to it a few times after seeing the video last night. By the way, how many videos did the Stones shoot for Angie?!?! I have one video where Keith and Mick Taylor are both playing guitars with roses on them. This version has Mick Taylor playing piano. I also think the Dancing With Mr. D. video is scary!!!

The Brown Sugar footage is chopped up and while cool it's way too short.

The David Frost Show footage is great quality.

There are two Mick interviews. The one from 1969 is pretty short so there is not much to it. The 1971 one is much more enjoyable and they play a clip of the movie Performance which I have never seen before which I found quite amusing.

Finally, Mick's wedding footage is a novelty to have really...Cool to see the footage but you can't really hear much...

All in all, this is pretty good. I'd say about an A-

I won't buy another version of CS Blues again unless it's an offical release by the Stones.

It also is a quality Silver DVD and plays on even my old DVD player!!!

P.S. One funny thing was during the Australian interview they show footage of Keith and say something to the effect of "This is Keith Richards, possibly the musical genious behind the Stones. He won't live to be 70 years old..."

Come on Keef!! Prove her wrong!!!