ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Alice Cooper on Vote for Change Tour (ssc) Return to archive
August 27th, 2004 02:55 AM
UGot2Rollme from the news wires - kind of a funny read, even though I'm not a Bush supporter:
--------------------
Republican rocker Alice Cooper has slammed presidential hopeful John Kerry's celebrity supporters as traitors for letting politics get in the way of their music.

The "School's Out" singer has blasted Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews, among others, who have performed in support of Democratic Kerry.

He says, "I call it treason against rock n' roll because rock is the antithesis of politics."

"Rock should never be in bed with politics. When I was a kid and my parents started talking about politics, I'd run to my room and put on the Rolling Stones as loud as I could. So when I see all these rock stars up there talking politics, it makes me sick."

Cooper urges rock fans to pay no attention to musicians' political views.

He adds, "If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are."

"Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music at night and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal.

"Besides, when I read the list of people who are supporting Kerry, if I wasn't already a Bush Supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that's a good reason right there to vote for Bush."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2004
----------------
August 27th, 2004 05:26 AM
FotiniD
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
"Besides, when I read the list of people who are supporting Kerry, if I wasn't already a Bush Supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that's a good reason right there to vote for Bush."

Alice Cooper dissapoints me Ok, there is the timeless question of whether art - and in our case rock music - should be political, try to change the world etc. and I know he's trying to make a joke, but if I lived and voted in America, I wouldn't support Bush even if Kerry had Britney among his fans

So, what is Cooper saying? That rock music shouldn't mess with politics or with politicians. I agree if he means it the second way, but imo you can't disconnect rock music from politics. Say, what are "Give peace a chance" and "Street fighting man" if not political songs?
August 27th, 2004 10:52 AM
The_Worst Alice Cooper is 100% correct. All these artists should stick to what they do best and that's rock 'n roll. As a resident of New Jersey, I can say that I am completely sick and tired of having the country waiting with baited breath to hear what Bruce Springsteen has to say about President Bush. I mean, when did he get his political science degree!??!

Most of these rock stars are so out of touch that they have little to no idea what they are talking about.

That's why I love the Stones. They usually don't get involved in politics. They stick to what they do best, being the Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band in the World!!

P.S. FLUSH THE JOHNS!!!! 11/02/04

August 27th, 2004 12:03 PM
J.J.Flash Like Keef, Alice is another real rock'n'roller and I love everything he says or thinks.... AMEN Alice!

Talking bout Alice, have you guys ever listened his last album playing in that "Alice Cooper Group" format, Muscle of Love, circa 1974?? Please, go find it! One of the best rock recordings.
August 27th, 2004 12:28 PM
GimmeExile "Rock should never be in bed with politics."

Hmmm...Let's see: Dylan, Springsteen, Marley, Lennon, U2...Yeah, rock shouldn't get political. Whatever, dude!
August 27th, 2004 12:37 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Hmmm...Let's see: Dylan, Springsteen, Marley, Lennon, U2...Yeah, rock shouldn't get political. Whatever, dude!

now I remember why I lost interest in, and avoid those artists like the plague
[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 27th, 2004 02:12 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
"Rock should never be in bed with politics."

Global change is different than one nation's election race. What Alice 'nailed' is that people WILL vote for a candidate based on a musician or entertainer they admire.

Many people take for granted their ability to vote based on their own research and beliefs.
August 27th, 2004 02:15 PM
Taptrick Quote:

I believe most people that like political songs and acts are really touched by their emotional reaction or intense memories of the events associated with the dong, act, or times. In other words the association is more emotional and symbolic than it is about the pure political message. Sure there are those out there that are fans for purely political reasons - I don't think that is the majority.
August 27th, 2004 02:30 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
Quote:
I believe most people that like political songs and acts are really touched by their emotional reaction or intense memories of the events associated with the dong......

Its called the "Howe phenomenon."
August 27th, 2004 03:04 PM
Bloozehound Don't Dong Twice, It's Alright
Simple Twist of Dong
[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 27th, 2004 09:23 PM
Taptrick

I was going to edit - but with those comments I think I should just pay the price.....
August 27th, 2004 09:44 PM
Soldatti Alice Cooper

Goodnight!!!