ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The band "The Killers" Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 26th, 2004 08:30 AM
Factory Girl What is their sound? Should I check them out live? TIA!
August 26th, 2004 10:21 AM
Gazza they're from vegas, but you'd swear they were english. Very Brit-pop influenced

Their new album is pretty good. One of the songs "All the Things That I've Done" is as good a song as I've heard all year by anyone.
[Edited by Gazza]
August 26th, 2004 10:26 AM
Factory Girl Thanks, Gazza. They're playing here in Oct. I might check them out.
August 26th, 2004 10:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man I agree with Gazza. That is a great song. Time will tell whether or not the bands become truly great, but amongst today’s crop, they're not bad at all.

Also FG, check out a band called Razorlight. I only know a couple of songs, but their most famous one is awesome! It's kind of pointless me telling you, because I don't know the name of it, but it's another band for you to check out.

There’s another band you may of heard of from Glasgow called Franz Ferdinand. They are just a student’s band, so avoid them on principle!
August 26th, 2004 10:48 AM
Factory Girl I really dislike that one song by Franz Ferdinand. It sounds like bad coked-up disco.
August 26th, 2004 10:57 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think that songs called Take Me Out.

They are the kind of band you either love or hate with a passion. I am the latter. Eruughhh
August 26th, 2004 11:02 AM
Jumacfly bullshit !!!
i ve seen Franz Ferdinand live and they rocked the place!
their record is pretty class too!!
but, it s just a matter of taste, i haven t got the same enthousiasm as you about the libertines for instance!

anyway, whatever , enjoy the libertines show!! (hope they ll be four on stage , their toxic guitarist is a very cool dude, like the singer too!)

chhers, and don t forget it s only rock n roll
August 26th, 2004 11:09 AM
Factory Girl I'm pretty sure that the Libertines will be sans Pete, which is a pity.
August 26th, 2004 11:17 AM
Jumacfly i ve readen an interview of the singer, he seems very pessimistic about the band's future, with Pete...but really looks like a cool dude...
the story of the visited flat by Pete while they were touring is priceless

the same magazine made a great article about Faces, so, with all the advices from my RO pals and this one, i m now a real FACES ADDICT!!!!

cheers
JU
August 26th, 2004 11:34 AM
Honky Tonk Man Okay Jumacfly, lets just AGREE to DISAGREE about Franz Ferdinand.

The whole Pete Doherty saga is such a pity. He's such a talented guy. I read in a paper a while ago that some consider him to be the new Johnny Rotten. Now that is bullshit. Yep, he may very well self distruct, but Vicious was a talentless hack who Malcolm McClaren thought looked cool enough to be in the Sex Pistols. Doherty is a genuine talent and a real character.

I actually went out with a girl who is/was very close to Pete.

She said I had nice hands
August 26th, 2004 11:53 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Okay Jumacfly, lets just AGREE to DISAGREE about Franz Ferdinand.

amen Bro!

I actually went out with a girl who is/was very close to Pete.
She said I had nice hands

that s a good beginning Alex !
August 26th, 2004 01:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot Is there any other kind of disco that isn't coked up?

I like Franz Ferdinand well enough. But that's only because I like Gang Of Four.

The Libertines sound like what would happen if The Kinks merged with The Clash. You'd think that would be amazingly great...but I'm not gonzo for them. They are just OK IMO.

I've pretty much avoided The Killers so far. I imagine I'll pick up their record if I can find it on sale for less than $10.00. But I'm always wary of Spin/Rolling Stone "next big thing" bands.

FG, my advice is that if the tix are $15.00 or less, you should go.

August 26th, 2004 06:36 PM
Gazza Take Me Out was an excellent single. Havent heard much else by them, so cant judge them but I thought that was a terrific single - I play it over the PA at my team's home games every saturday and the crowds seem to like it. We even regularly get requests for it, which is unusual as most 'requests' consist of what NOT to play or "turn that fucking shite down, its too loud" by some semi-senile geriatric
August 27th, 2004 04:40 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Take Me Out was an excellent single. Havent heard much else by them, so cant judge them but I thought that was a terrific single - I play it over the PA at my team's home games every saturday and the crowds seem to like it. We even regularly get requests for it, which is unusual as most 'requests' consist of what NOT to play or "turn that fucking shite down, its too loud" by some semi-senile geriatric

What team is this Gazza?

August 27th, 2004 04:55 AM
Gazza Linfield
August 27th, 2004 05:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man Never heard of 'em!

I take it they are a football team?

Oh well, sorry to hear about Rangers getting knocked out of Europe.

Better luck next time!
August 27th, 2004 06:28 AM
Zeeta Franz Ferdinand,

Tske Me Out was indeed a good pop song. Their second single, Matinee was bloody awful! Not bad though. I am looking forward to Kings of Leon's album coming out...although as I remember they displease Alex!
August 27th, 2004 07:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man Oh they don't displease me that much anymore.

I do own their album and I do play it occasionaly. Saying that, I still won't be rushing out to buy a new release by them!

Well Zeeta, it's a Friday, are Walking About tonight?

I am, but not the Temple one. Going to the new one in Bromley. Awful place!
August 27th, 2004 07:21 AM
Gazza >Never heard of 'em!
I take it they are a football team?

er..yeah...Irish League champions 45 times. You should broaden your horizons, mate..lol

>Oh well, sorry to hear about Rangers getting knocked out of Europe.
Better luck next time!

Dont really care that much!

[Edited by Gazza]
August 27th, 2004 07:31 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Oh well, sorry to hear about Rangers getting knocked out of Europe.
Better luck next time!

Dont really care that much!

[Edited by Gazza]

Neither do I! LOL
August 27th, 2004 07:50 AM
Factory Girl Stonesy, The Killers tix are $12-not bad.

I think "Take me Out" is awful.

Alex, how close is this girl to Pete?

Kings of Leon are respected, but I haven't been able to get to them.

Maybe I should get Faces box-set.
August 27th, 2004 08:08 AM
Gazza >I think "Take me Out" is awful.

I shall play it at our next home game in your honour, and maybe while your sleeping 3,000 miles away you'll be subconsciously converted!
August 27th, 2004 08:13 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Oh they don't displease me that much anymore.

I do own their album and I do play it occasionaly. Saying that, I still won't be rushing out to buy a new release by them!

Well Zeeta, it's a Friday, are Walking About tonight?

I am, but not the Temple one. Going to the new one in Bromley. Awful place!

Walk Abouting! maybe!?
I am leaving London incidentally!
I can't fuckin afford it! And it's over-hyped, over-priced, over-crowded, over-dirty and just so over! LOL!
I will be back but for now I'm going back Ooop North
August 27th, 2004 08:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

Alex, how close is this girl to Pete?

I’m not too sure in all honesty. What I do know is that (Lucy was her name) she used to speak to him on the phone and was invited into the studio to watch them record their first album. I know she’d met the Strokes once or twice when they first came to the UK. The Libertines opened for them a few times. There is a picture of here with a very sweaty Julian Casablancas and Fabs Moretti at the 2001 Reading Festival.

I first new of The Libertines through her when she gave me a card for the www.libertines.org website (which she runs, I believe). I’m not even sure if they had released What A Waster at this stage.

She lived in Cheltenham and I even got her to post on this board once. I think it was a Brian Jones thread.

We lost touch and then I got in touch with her again through the Libertines website. We met up again and then lost contact again. I think the last time I heard from her was when I texted to tell her I was going to New York to see the Stones!

Alex

August 27th, 2004 08:46 AM
Factory Girl Honky Tonk Man wrote:

"There is a picture of here with a very sweaty Julian Casablancas and Fabs Moretti at the 2001 Reading Festival."

The thought of sweaty Jules and Fab makes me all Googly.

Alex, maybe you should reconnect with this girl. She needs the healing power of your hands...

Gazza, I still think "take Me Out" is terrible. I can't even stand it on the radio. It sounds like the Village People were abducted by the Police-yikes!!!
August 27th, 2004 09:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Alex, maybe you should reconnect with this girl. She needs the healing power of your hands...

Noooooo.... I'm happily shacked up with my girlfriend now. Her name is Lucy too.

August 27th, 2004 09:32 AM
Factory Girl Honky Tonk Man wrote:

"Noooooo.... I'm happily shacked up with my girlfriend now. Her name is Lucy too."

You love Lucy!

August 27th, 2004 09:50 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

"Noooooo.... I'm happily shacked up with my girlfriend now. Her name is Lucy too."

You love Lucy!

SSsssshhhh!
August 27th, 2004 09:53 AM
Zeeta Stop this flirtatious behaviour you two!!
August 27th, 2004 10:35 AM
Factory Girl Alex, you're going to start posting with a Cuban accent soon (Ricky Ricardo reference).

LOL, Z-we're not really flirting. Just exchanging friendly info. Where are you moving to?
Page: 1 2