ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brown Sugar Brussels 73 Return to archive
August 26th, 2004 04:55 AM
headshrinker This could have been amazing. the form that the band and taylor were in was unbelievable. but i think taylor butchers it with the slide guitar. if he'd carried on from where he left off on the 72 tour it would have been amazing.

i personally adore taylor and this is the only bad thing i will ever say about him.

the rest of this gig however is one of thre best ever.

what does everyone else think?
August 26th, 2004 07:34 AM
JaggaRichards
quote:
headshrinker wrote:
This could have been amazing. the form that the band and taylor were in was unbelievable. but i think taylor butchers it with the slide guitar. if he'd carried on from where he left off on the 72 tour it would have been amazing.

i personally adore taylor and this is the only bad thing i will ever say about him.

the rest of this gig however is one of thre best ever.

what does everyone else think?

'Brown Sugar' from Philly 1972 is the best version
August 27th, 2004 10:13 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff Ohh, the one I love is the version with Clapton on slide guit and Al Kooper....
The most powerfull damn Brown Sugar of all time!!!
August 27th, 2004 11:31 AM
stickyturd I agree, I never liked the slide thing...

Listen to Newcastle though, he plays slide on the verses but regular on the solo.

Russ
August 27th, 2004 01:53 PM
doo doo doo Dude I don't think MT ruins the Brussels version with the slide at all. Reminds me actually of the "Clapton" version and is still very powerful (thanks largely to Keith), but agree it's not as satisfying as the 72 versions. Personally, I love MT's trademark guitar solo that he would launch into right after the sax break like on the Philly version.
August 28th, 2004 02:10 AM
sammy davis jr. The MT solo sucks on the Brussels Brown Sugar....it's just BORING. My fave MT BS solo is on Welcome To New York.
August 28th, 2004 03:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
The MT solo sucks on the Brussels Brown Sugar....it's just BORING. My fave MT BS solo is on Welcome To New York.

Agree!
Another great solo of BS is on Birmingham Odeon 1973 and the intro of Dancing With Mr. D on this boot is amazing, but the overall sound is very poor...
[Edited by Soldatti]
August 30th, 2004 10:58 PM
jpenn11 My favorite is the solo on Leeds. Doesn't do much in the rest of the song.

Incidentally, I don't think the Brussels BS is boring at all at the end when Taylor finally let's loose. I used to think he was getting out of the way on the solo for Bobby Keyes or Billy Preston who just were not prominent in the mix. (After all, are there really no horns in Heartbreaker or is it just an odd mix?)