ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger recording 3 songs for a soundtrack (NSC) Return to archive
August 22nd, 2004 11:21 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl America will fall for Jude Law's Alfie, predicts Michael Caine
By Hugh Davies
(Filed: 23/08/2004)

Sir Michael Caine is helping an attempt to make British star Jude Law a household name in America with a revival of Alfie.

Sir Michael is promoting Law as the perfect choice to update the character he played in 1966 to international acclaim. Sir Mick Jagger is also involved. He and Dave Stewart, once of The Eurythmics, are recording three songs they have written for the soundtrack.

The re-make is being prepared for US release in the autumn, with the action moved from "Swinging Sixties" London to present-day New York.

The script reflects the changes in sexual attitudes in 40 years, with the womanising Alfie still cast as a Cockney libertine, but now worrying about dying of Aids.

Paramount released a trailer yesterday showing Law, in pink shirt and designer suit, leaving a woman's apartment in Manhattan, and turning to the camera to quip: "Oh blimey! I'm sorry! I haven't introduced myself. I'm . . ." A female voice floats from the bedroom: "Alfie?"

Law smirks, adding: "There you go . . . Alfie."

The movie is the third revival of a classic involving Sir Michael, who called his autobiography What's It All About? after Alfie's theme tune, sung by Cilla Black. Warner Brothers made Get Carter, with Sylvester Stallone, spending £30 million on a flop that grossed only £13 million. Paramount had better luck with The Italian Job starring Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron, with the £33 million picture making £98 million. In America, Sir Michael, now 71, is part of a trio of British actors with long-standing appeal. The others are Sir Sean Connery,74, and Sir Anthony Hopkins, 67.

Now, ahead of his next film, the £73 million Batman Begins, in which he is cast as Alfred the Butler, Sir Michael is backing Law to lead the next generation of British stars in America.

He said that the remake was "a form of flattery really - we couldn't have done a bad job of it the first time." He added: "I think it's great that Jude is playing Alfie. He is a friend and I'm a great admirer of his. I think he's a wonderful actor and it will be very interesting because Alfie was a male chauvinist pig in the 1960s, and the story is being re-written by an American woman. I'll be intrigued to see it."

Law is also taking Sir Michael's 1972 part of Milo Tindle in Stephen Frears's remake of Anthony Shaffer's Sleuth. Sir Michael is to move to Sir Laurence's Olivier's role of Andrew Wyke.

London-born Law, 31, was named by his teacher parents after the Beatle's song Hey Jude. He remains on the verge of A-list fame in Hollywood, despite acclaim for Cold Mountain and Road To Perdition.

Alfie could be the breakthrough film. Like Sir Michael, he confides to the audience his thoughts as he pursues - looking terribly pleased with himself - Sienna Miller (his current girlfriend), Susan Sarandon and Marisa Tomei.

Sarandon's role - Liz, a lusty older woman - was originally played as Ruby by Shelley Winters. Miller is Nikki (Jane Asher's Annie) and Tomei takes Julia Foster's Gilda part.

Reports from an initial screening of the film by Sherry Lancing, head of Paramount, indicate that the most startling 1966 scene, with Denholm Elliot giving a chilling five minute performance as an abortionist, is replicated in a New York clinic.

Miller's role as a wild drunk stands out, along with Sarandon's character as an independent wealthy businesswoman who likes to seduce young men.

The songs Old Habits Die Hard, Blind Leading the Blind and Let's Make It Up, written by Sir Mick, with Stewart, are being recorded in London.
August 23rd, 2004 01:09 AM
glencar I wonder if these songs will replicate the success of "Primitive Cool"? One can only hope.
August 23rd, 2004 08:46 AM
exile Click on trailer to hear a snipet of Micks new song

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/alfie/

also some other information
http://romanticmovies.about.com/cs/upcomingreleases/a/alfiesong050604.htm

August 23rd, 2004 12:15 PM
glencar Not bad. The movie looks good & the song sounds right.
August 23rd, 2004 08:22 PM
gotdablouse No quicktime for now, what does it sound like? GS or Let's Work or hopefully something off of a WS ;-)
August 23rd, 2004 09:33 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the song link!
August 24th, 2004 08:14 PM
Bob Tamp To me it sounds like a cousin of both Mixed Emotions and Dont Call Me Up
August 24th, 2004 08:22 PM
MarthaMyDear I am going to fucking RUSH to the theatre to see THIS damn
hottie!!! LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the info.,
Gerardo!!! Now I'll have to check to see what
day it opens here... TAKE CARE!!! CHEERS!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 24th, 2004 09:32 PM
gotdablouse ok, heard it, hum...song seems ok, but I hate that new style of "singing"/"vocalizing" he seems to be fond of these days (like on Brand New Set of Rules)...give us some nitty gritty rock and funky singing Mick!
August 24th, 2004 10:25 PM
Soldatti The song sounds good, but he sings a bit lazy on this one.