ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is RnR A Young Man's Game? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
August 20th, 2004 04:39 PM
gypsy The 'twat' reply was to glencar. But it does look funny underneath lamby's post.

I'm not above nuzzling a lamb for spare cash.
August 20th, 2004 04:41 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
gypsy wrote:
The 'twat' reply was to glencar. But it does look funny underneath lamby's post.

I'm not above nuzzling a lamb for spare cash.

I stand by my "they are wankers" then! They sure as hell will be...

August 20th, 2004 04:44 PM
glencar I don't think anyone here is a twat. At Shiddoobbee, there are one or two but they seem scared of here.
August 20th, 2004 04:45 PM
glencar They'd also be called "wankers" & some other names.
August 20th, 2004 04:52 PM
gypsy I can't talk about Shidoobee here...they're watching.
August 20th, 2004 04:56 PM
glencar In that case, talk away!
August 20th, 2004 04:56 PM
Nellcote IMHO, as Rock has matured, I see so many ages at shows, who really gives a rats butt. While it's true that some rock bands look to appeal to a certain age bracket than others, gray hair's like myself still favor always knowing what the next Darkness type band might be, for the fact that there may be a retro appeal. My son was playing God knows what for music on the computer the other day, while I was walking thru the room, and it was some wildass version of "Under Pressure", where he was shocked I knew it. Going back 30 or more yrs, my parents could never relate to anything I was listening to, because if it wasn't Frank Sinatra, it was trash, and I'd get "the look" as to why I'm listening to that drivel. On the counter note, I have not seen myself interested at all in any music which was popular in the 40's or 30's unless it has a blues or semi blues/jazz angle, which does leave me in an "island" with most of my crowd, however, they do not know what they are missing. So, in summary, I'd note that Rock is able to transcend ages easier than any other type of music.
August 20th, 2004 05:38 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I've been to shows where I felt old-Jet, the Strokes.

But because I really like these bands, I belonged there.

How old are you FG ?
August 20th, 2004 05:39 PM
Sir Stonesalot I think Bez brought up an interesting point. How can we have a discussion about rock and roll if all define it as something different?

Is hip hop rock & roll?

It probably is for some people.

Is Howlin' Wolf rock and roll?

I think he is, but lots of people probably disagree.

Is rock and roll even definable?

Well, I know what I consider rock and roll music to be...but it seems that my definition isn't the same as most others. So....what do you call rock and roll?

Is rock and roll even a type of music anymore? Or is it more of an attitude...a spirit, so to speak?

I can tell you for certain though...rock and roll music is not dead. There is still lots of great rock and roll music being played. No it isn't dead....it's just not very popular.
August 20th, 2004 05:39 PM
mickmask 'Is R&R only for geezers?'
I'll let you know. There's a big Jam going on here next weekend. Lots of 'old' bands and some great ones!
I shall conduct a survey... in the interest of Rock &Roll of course.
mm.
http://greatlakesjam.com/
August 20th, 2004 05:45 PM
gypsy I don't feel like analyzing it.
August 20th, 2004 05:47 PM
glencar Hip hop definitely ain't rock & roll. Howling Wolf was blues. Rock & roll is 2 or 3 guitars, real drums, crazy singer & maybe a piano thrown in. And if it ain't popular, it might as well be dead.
August 20th, 2004 05:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I think Bez brought up an interesting point. How can we have a discussion about rock and roll if all define it as something different?

Well so we talk about definitions.

>Is hip hop rock & roll?<
No.
>Is Howlin' Wolf rock and roll?<
Yes
>Is rock and roll even definable?<
Yes
>Is rock and roll even a type of music anymore?<
Yes

>Or is it more of an attitude...a spirit, so to speak?<
Yes

The definition of rock n roll?
Chuck Berry and to a somewhat lesser degree Little Richard.
August 20th, 2004 06:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I don't feel like analyzing it.<

Then don't. Just lay out your gut reaction, go off the cuff.

>And if it ain't popular, it might as well be dead.<

Can you please explain why? Drag racing isn't popular either...but there are still drag strips all over the place. It still exists. And there are still hardcore fans out there. Drag racing isn't popular, but it ain't dead either. Besides the obvious, how is rock and roll different?

I will also say this...rock is definately more popular than rock and roll. Rock concerts are still pretty well attended, and it still gets air. Why is rock so much more mainstream than rock and roll?
August 20th, 2004 06:18 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
The question is not is bloozeswayedshooz a twat, the question is why IS he such a twat?

BH -- you really, really, really look like a jackass when you rank on SS, dude. Not because SS doesn't deserve it (which in this case I don't know that he does -- I haven't seen him provoke you in a while, but I'm not the super regular I used to be) -- like, you're really bad at it. If you were good at it, I'd tell you. I like it when you rip on Lambchop*. But your SS slams stink. They are lame, childish, and ill informed. You should either work on them or cut it out. Word to the wise. Nut shrivellingly bad. I hate to read them. They make me embarassed for you.

Just between you and me.

Awwww...

Nasty name calling huh, ok, but, you're really going to have to point me to the post where it says I give a fuckin' shit about what you think of my posts boy, because quite frankly I'm having a real hard time finding it, you dig ?

I have no problem with anyone here. I just made some honest observations. They seem to have sparked some good debate, what's it to you ? You've obviously enjoyed chiming in with your 2 cents.

What's the real problem here Habits ?

Things a tad slow over on the sock puppet board ?

Did Stinky Sweatsock disappear in the dryer again ?

Are ya lonesome ?
August 20th, 2004 06:33 PM
glencar Drag racing never had the popularity that rock had. At one point, it seemed like rock was ready to take over the world. Songs were written to respond to current events & changed people's perceptions. Now songs are written & nobody gives a shit. People might like the new Dylan, Stones, Neil Young, Who(!) album but most people are surprised that there's any new material. If a tree falls in the forest but no one buys it, rock is dead.
August 20th, 2004 06:34 PM
glencar Bloozehound, I agree with your politics & you post some good stuff but could you let the little feud go? It's really not that important.
August 20th, 2004 06:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Rock & roll is 2 or 3 guitars, real drums, crazy singer & maybe a piano thrown in.

MAYBE A PIANO THROWN IN?????? ROCK N ROLL WAS BORN ON A PIANO, Little Richard's FUCKING piano to be exact. Rock developed from RnR by the bands getting rid of piano and concentrating on the guitars.
August 20th, 2004 06:41 PM
glencar TTM, I read an interesting review of Undercover years ago that stated that piano should be rarely used. I was just kinda riffing on that. Let's not feud about this, 'kay?
August 20th, 2004 06:42 PM
Bloozehound yes i agree with the piano part, not near enough piano in contemporary r&r.

August 20th, 2004 06:48 PM
Factory Girl To Bloozy...I am older than old.

I'm nuzzling (as in guzzling) white wine. I'm listening to Iggy's "Zombie Birdhouse". I hope to get tix to the Libertines.

August 20th, 2004 06:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]glencar wrote:
TTM, I read an interesting review of Undercover years ago that stated that piano should be rarely used.

I wonder why they would say that. All Chuck Berry's shit has really kick ass piano all through it.

>I was just kinda riffing on that. Let's not feud about this, 'kay?<

LOL. Why not, "Feuds are fun
provided your the one
holding the sawed off shotgun."
August 20th, 2004 06:53 PM
gypsy SS, you spelled "definitely" wrong...I hate it when you do that, because you are usually such a good speller.

Can I ask you a question? Let's say you get that dream Corvette...what would be the first song you listen to while taking it for that very first drive?
August 20th, 2004 06:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Can I ask you a question? Let's say you get that dream Corvette...what would be the first song you listen to while taking it for that very first drive?

WHOA!!! That would be great contest material answers.
August 20th, 2004 06:59 PM
glencar Little Red Corvette, natch.
August 20th, 2004 07:02 PM
gypsy I seriously want to know. I wonder if it would be a Stones song. Come on, SS, let us know.
August 20th, 2004 07:05 PM
Moonisup you're as old as you feel
kiddie concerts is nonsense.
it's the same as asking: are the stones too old
August 20th, 2004 07:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I seriously want to know. I wonder if it would be a Stones song. Come on, SS, let us know.

Well if he's like any other husband I ever met it will be one of those Tim McGraw tunes that his wife likes. LOL. The mark of a true gentleman.
August 20th, 2004 07:08 PM
beer Fuck Rock and Roll.

IT needs more gawd damn cowbell.

Until then, i'm through with it.
August 20th, 2004 07:21 PM
gypsy beer, I actually said that to my boyfriend today...we were going to the grocery store, and "I'm Burning For You" by BOC came on...and I said "that song would rock if it had more cowbell."
Page: 1 2 3 4