ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is RnR A Young Man's Game? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
August 20th, 2004 12:26 PM
Sir Stonesalot In a discussion that Nasty Habits and I were having on another thread, the premise came up that rock and roll shows are essentially for teenagers to shake it.

I see merit to that POV, but I don't agree completely. I think rock and roll has "grown up". Teens are no longer interested in rock and roll. The people making rock and roll music are not youngsters. It could be said that the people making this music, and the people enjoying it, are teenagers at heart....but I think there is more to it than that.

Bloozehound claims that people like me, who go see rock and roll bands playing their songs, are simply trying to look cool by attending "kiddie concerts". Obviously, he has never been to one of these so called "kiddie concerts". The average age at most of the shows I go see is easily 30+. And as far as trying to look cool...I usually wear my Keith Richards For President T. I figure it's topical in an election year. LOL! That's about the extent of the thought I put into what I wear, or trying to "look cool".

I would be interested in hearing some opinions. We have a pretty wide age range on this board, and I'd like to see where you weigh in on this. Are rock and roll shows just "kiddie concerts"? Or are they for the young at heart? Or has time made rock and roll, and it's audience, "grow up"?
August 20th, 2004 12:40 PM
Nasty Habits I changed my name in search of fame
To find the Midas touch
Oh I wish I'd never wanted then
What I want now twice as much
We crossed the mighty oceans
And we had a few divides
But we never crossed emotion
For we felt too much inside
You know all the tales we tell
You know the band so well
Still I feel, somehow, we let you down
We went off somewhere on the way
And now I see we have to pay
The rock'n'roll circus is in town
Buffin lost his child-like dreams
And Mick lost his guitar
And Verden grew a line or two
And Overend's just a rock'n'roll star
Behind these shades the visions fade
As I learn a thing or two
Oh but if I had my time again
You all know just what I'd do

Rock'n'roll's a loser's game
It mesmerises and I can't explain
The reasons for the sights and for the sounds
We went off somewhere on the way
And now I see we have to pay
The rock'n'roll circus is in town

So Rock'n'roll's a loser's game
It mesmerises and I can't explain
The reasons for the sights and for the sounds
The greasepaint still sticks to my face
So what the hell, I can't erase
The rock'n'roll feeling from my mind
From my mind...from my mind...from my mind
From my miiiiiind...from my miiiiind...from my miiiiiiiiind
From my miiiiiiiiiiiind
August 20th, 2004 12:44 PM
bez85 I think a better question to ask is, has the definition of rock-n-roll changed? Is rap rock-n-roll? Is hip hop rock-n-roll? If they are it's still a teenagers thing. If rock-n-roll is still two guitars bass and drums, most teens aren't in to rock-n-roll...
August 20th, 2004 12:46 PM
glencar Great point, bez85. I was about to say the same thing myself. Rock & roll is dead. I have a bunch of neices & nephews who are in their early teens & they're all into either hip hop or those sappy ballads. Kids used rock & roll as a way to rebel against the old folks. When Mom & Pop are rockers, what can a poor boy/girl do except become a rapper?
August 20th, 2004 01:51 PM
Bloozehound I'm relieved to announce that inlight of the tragic mishap involving a stage collapsing at Little Steven's Kiddie Poo festival last weekend, in no way were any of the furry little animals harmed at either the kiddie petting zoo or pony ride booths. Godbless each and every one of you, Oi!

[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 20th, 2004 02:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot What a twat.
August 20th, 2004 02:35 PM
marko Sure it is mate,weŽll see that,next june or aug-sept.
And thats gonna be a rock n roll party,i promise u that.
Will e-mail u about this during weekend.
August 20th, 2004 03:18 PM
gypsy I agree with SS.

And, yeah, you, up there, you're a twat.
August 20th, 2004 03:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I'm relieved to announce that inlight of the tragic mishap involving a stage collapsing at Little Steven's Kiddie Poo festival last weekend, in no way were any of the furry little animals harmed at either the kiddie petting zoo or pony ride booths. Godbless each and every one of you, Oi!

I'm kind of lost on your point Bloozie. Are you trying to say that RnR shows are only for kids or just this particular one for some reason?
August 20th, 2004 03:30 PM
Factory Girl I agree with gypsy, who agrees with SS, who agrees with Nasty.

August 20th, 2004 03:32 PM
gypsy Thanks, FG!
August 20th, 2004 03:33 PM
glencar When I go to see live music around these parts, most of the people in the crowd are somewhat older. It's kind of depressing.
August 20th, 2004 03:39 PM
Factory Girl I've been to shows where I felt old-Jet, the Strokes.

But because I really like these bands, I belonged there.

Btw, I'm going to get Libertines tix, yes!!!
August 20th, 2004 03:40 PM
Nasty Habits The question is not is bloozeswayedshooz a twat, the question is why IS he such a twat?

BH -- you really, really, really look like a jackass when you rank on SS, dude. Not because SS doesn't deserve it (which in this case I don't know that he does -- I haven't seen him provoke you in a while, but I'm not the super regular I used to be) -- like, you're really bad at it. If you were good at it, I'd tell you. I like it when you rip on Lambchop*. But your SS slams stink. They are lame, childish, and ill informed. You should either work on them or cut it out. Word to the wise. Nut shrivellingly bad. I hate to read them. They make me embarassed for you.

Just between you and me.

August 20th, 2004 03:43 PM
glencar I'm finding the ongoing battle dreary from both sides. Internet feuds ain't what they were.
August 20th, 2004 03:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Internet feuds ain't what they were.

That's for sure, just ain't been the same since the Storm left. I wasn't there for it but board legend has it that he brought fueding to nearly an art form.
August 20th, 2004 03:59 PM
glencar I wasn't even referencing that. On some politics boards, I've seen some mighty feuds & sometimes the two people were from the same party. I try to avoid feuds just because I'm here for the Stones. I think Mathjis is an ass but why say it more than once every six months?
August 20th, 2004 04:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
I try to avoid feuds just because I'm here for the Stones.

I agree, fuedalism belongs back where it started in the middle ages.
August 20th, 2004 04:22 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I like it when you rip on Lambchop*.

I like it, yes I do.

Hi Nasty!

August 20th, 2004 04:25 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

That's for sure, just ain't been the same since the Storm left. I wasn't there for it but board legend has it that he brought fueding to nearly an art form.

Nothing is the same since the Storm left. Amateur night at the Apollo buddy!

August 20th, 2004 04:28 PM
Lambchop* SS - the internet is some time space continuum where you are once again 15 on a daily basis. And if you remember - when you were 15 - most other 15 year olds were moronic idiots and you hated them!

August 20th, 2004 04:28 PM
glencar Ah Lamby, let's moveon.org past that asshole. Any thoughts on the topic - RnR: A Young Man's Game?
August 20th, 2004 04:31 PM
gypsy I want to nuzzle you, lamby.
August 20th, 2004 04:31 PM
gypsy who says it's gotta be a game?
August 20th, 2004 04:32 PM
glencar SS, apparently. And we DON'T want to argue that, do we?
August 20th, 2004 04:34 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ah Lamby, let's moveon.org past that asshole. Any thoughts on the topic - RnR: A Young Man's Game?

yes. and no - it's as old as the blues. as old as Vodoun and even Dionysius.
August 20th, 2004 04:35 PM
parmeda In response to SS's first post...

IMO, it boils down to demographics. I personnally don't believe that rock-n-roll has died...at least not in my neck of the woods.

I will say that I believe it has evolved and has many faces...most of which have had social impacts to both young and old followers. We have seen the proof right here, with the Rolling Stones for example...they will perform demographically where it will be feasible for them.

I have my own proof as well...'cause you ain't gonna find me in no Texas bar havin' an ol' hoot of a time. And that's for damn sure

Seasoned RnR's need not look any further (unless of course, you wish to...)
Anyone else in the need of a history lesson?
...you may click here -->> http://www.jahsonic.com/Rock.html
Lambchop*
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I want to nuzzle you, lamby.

If we get a webcam going - perhaps we can charge a hefty fee!

gypsy And risk getting called a 'twat?'
August 20th, 2004 04:38 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
gypsy wrote:
And risk getting called a 'twat?'

They are jealous wankers...and enjoy every minute...

Page: 1 2 3 4