ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Black and Blue revisited Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 18th, 2004 09:36 AM
Some Guy I really enjoy this album. It is a truely great party disc. I have a friend that dislikes the Stones and owns nothing by them. I played this album last weekend while some buddies were over and he really got into it. He now owns the cd, I bet he gets more. There is something magical about this album!
August 18th, 2004 09:42 AM
F505 Some Guy, finally you're talking sense. I was a little concerned after reading your review concerning Emotional Rescue but now i know you're on the right track again.
Black and Blue is the most soulful album of the Stones!
August 18th, 2004 09:47 AM
Some Guy Thanks, bro! I can't quit playing it. Its got me by the nads right now.
August 18th, 2004 09:49 AM
beer Black and blue. This LP is pretty good. unfortunately, They lost Andy Johns during the recording of it. i guess he walked out and told the Stones to fuck off.Whatever happened to Andy Johns, anybody know??
August 18th, 2004 11:24 AM
Honky Tonk Man Black And Blue has never been a favourite of mine. Along with Dirty Work, I think it’s their worst. It only has eight songs and one of them is Fool To Cry. Though it does have Hand Of Fate on it. A great rocker and one of my favourite guitar solos on a Stones record and YES, I am aware its not one of our boys doing the solo.

Alex

August 18th, 2004 11:25 AM
justinkurian Basically nothing, I guess.

From All Music:

The younger brother of successful producer Glyn Johns, as an engineer and later a producer, Andy has a list of clients as impresive as they come. Beginning as a tape operator at Olympic Studios, Johns engineered for the cream of the late 60s/early 70s British scene including Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Humble Pie and Rod Stewart. Johns also worked with the Stones during their classic 68-73 string of hit albums and traveled with the band to the south of France, documenting the personnal mayhem and manic creative spirit that resulted in the classic Exile on Main St. album. After moving to L.A in the mid-70s Johns attempted to move into production full time, but, with the exception of Television's 1977 album Marquee Moon, work was few and far between until the mid-80s when Johns teamed with hard rock acts such as Joe Satriani, Van Halen and Ozy Osbourne. After 30 years in the business Johns is still alive and kicking, most recently producing the debut from farcical rockers Honky Toast.
August 18th, 2004 11:31 AM
beer Well, i hated Fool To Cry too. I mean i really hated it. UNTIL, i saw that PARIS '76 video.or whatever76 vid it was. Keith plays a Wah solo that is just fuckin mind blowing. Really incredible. And another funny thing about that song, is that i've read that Keith actually passed out onstage during that song! But the solo is priceless! If any of ya haven't seen that video, You MUST!
August 18th, 2004 11:35 AM
beer Geez, ya gotta be kidding. WTF???? How the mighty fall, huh? Very sad. If i had a band in this day and age, i would have Andy record and produce the record. pipe dreams.

Andy produced 'Marquee Moon'? I didn't know that! incredible!
August 18th, 2004 12:30 PM
scratched Black & Blue for me is a great Keith rhythm guitar album. I think he seemed to have finally got down his live guitar sound in the studio on B&B before totally changing it again on Some Girls. The chunky middle part of Hand Of Fate (the Charlie hi-hat bonanza), playing behind Ronnie in Hey Negrita, the use of space in Cherry Oh Baby. Also, Bill’s bassline on Hand Of Fate. All good stuff.
August 18th, 2004 12:47 PM
Mikey Love B&B. Crazy Mama is one of my favorites, along with HOF and HN.
August 18th, 2004 01:01 PM
nankerphelge I love B&B too -- one of my favorites because it is so different -- very nice chibaonthedeckwiththesunashininanddrinkafewCoronastoo music!!

August 18th, 2004 01:08 PM
BillyBoll Yeah, a favourite of mine. Probably because it was the first out after I got into the Stones.

Got some weak tracks like Fool to Cry but class ones too like HoF, Crazy Mama, Hey Hegrita and the brilliant Memory Motel!

And I always loved that track layout thing.

Fond memories of that album!!
[Edited by BillyBoll]
August 18th, 2004 02:08 PM
Bloozehound Great album, every song a classic.

It took me a while for this album to sink in, but repeated listenings paid off.

There is something very distinctive about B&B that sets it apart from the others, maybe it's the rough unfinished, jam-like quality of some of the songs and production, which I really dig about it.

I used to consider it the Stone's reggae album, even though there's only 2 reggae(-ish) songs on it, but a few others do have moments of definite reggae influence to the guitar work, beat, groove ect..or maybe it's those 3 beautiful, piano ballads that set it apart, but yeah, it's one of the Stone's more soulful and funkier albums.

Beautiful little piece of work.
August 18th, 2004 02:16 PM
Factory Girl One of my least-liked Stones albums.

Btw, I like Dirty Work...lol!!
August 18th, 2004 02:21 PM
beer Ya guys gotta watch that video! It will REDIFINE Black And Blue. Watching Keef rip it up on Hand Of Fate And FTC is insane!!!
August 18th, 2004 04:29 PM
Snappy McJack Love it.

Aa'it stop whatcha doin' cause I'm about to ruin the image and the style
that ya used to. I look funny, but yo I'm makin' money so listen up
world I hope you're ready for me. Now gather round, I'm the new fool in
town and my sound's laid down by tha Underground. I drink up all the
Hennessee ya got on ya shelf so just let me introduce myself. My name
is Humpty, pronounced with an umpty. Oh ladies oh how I like to
frumpty, and to the rappers in the top ten, please allow me to bumpty.
I'm steppin' tall y'all and just like Humpty Dumpty you're gonna fall
when the stereos pump me. I like to rhyme I like my beef funky. I'm
spunky. I like my oatmeal lumpy.

I'm sick with this. Straight gangsta mack. But sometimes I get
ridiculous. I eat up all tha crackers and tha licorace. Hey yo fat
girl commere are ya ticklish? Yeah, I called ya fat, look at me I'm
skinny. It never stopped me from gettin' busy. I'm a freak. I like
the girls with the boom. I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.
I'm crazy. Allow me to amaze thee. They say I'm ugly but it just don't
faze me. I'm still gettin' in tha girls pants and I even got my own
dance.

(chorus)
The Humpty Dance is your chance to do tha hump. Ohh do me baby. Do the
Humpty Hump. Ohh ohh do me baby. Do the Humpty Hump. Do ya know what
were doin'? Were doin' the Humpty Hump yall. Watch me do the Humpty
Hump. Just keep on doin' tha Hump.

People say "yo, Humpty you're really funny lookin'" That's aaiit 'cause
my body's in motion. You stare, you glare, you try to compare me, but
ya can't get near me. I'm on the floor, bein' at the bars and see all
the ladies adore me. Oh yes ladies I'm really bein' sincere 'cause in
the 69 my Humpty nose will tickle your rear. My nose is big. Uh uh I'm
not ashamed, big like a pickle, I'm still gettin' paid. I'm gettin'
laid by the ladies, you know I'm in charge. Note how I'm livin' and my
nose is large. I get stupid. I shoot an arrow like cupid. I use a
word that don't mean nuttin' like loopded. I sang in Dowhatchalike and
if ya missed it. I'm the one that said "just grab 'em in tha biskets".
I also told you that I like to bite well yeah, I guess that's obvious I
also like to write. All ya have ta do is give Humpty a chance and now
I'm gonna do my dance.

(chorus)

Oh yeah, that's the breaks. Let me get a little of this base groove
right here. A dooreaar dooreah dooreaar dooreah. Ah yeah, now I told
y'all a little about myself, lemme tell y'all a little about this dance.
It's real easy to do, check it out. First I limp to tha sounds like my
legs is broken, shakin' and twitchen' kinda like I was smokin' crazy
whack funky. People say you look like MC Hammer on crack Humpty.
That's aaiit 'cause my body's in motion. It's supposed to look like a
fit or a commotion. Anyone can play this game. It's my dance y'all
Humpty Hump's my name. No two people will do it the same, ya got it
down, when you appear to be in pain. Humpin' funkin' jumpin' gig around
shakin' your rump and when a dude or chump ups and points a finger like
a stump you tell him to step off I'm doin' the hump.

(chorus)
(add Puerto Ricans do the Humpty Hump)
(add Samoans do the Humpty Hump)

Let's get stupid (gimme the music, do the Humpty Hump)

And to all the ladies, peace and Humptiness forever.
August 18th, 2004 04:33 PM
Some Guy Great cruising in the car cd. Also what Nank said!
August 18th, 2004 07:06 PM
full moon This album is a beauty. I love it. Burn one down and turn this fucker up........
August 18th, 2004 07:43 PM
Gazza Its an album I need to be in the mood for.

Its way too short though, at just 8 songs.

I love the album cover,the band look like a bunch of psychos. Especially Charlie. Remember a couple of years ago there was talk of him and Keith having cameos in "The Sopranos"? Look at that mugshot and you can understand why. One of the meanest looks ever on an album sleeve (up there with Dylan's on "Hard Rain"). Another great LP sleeve whose impact is somewhat lost on a CD. The Stones are visually a powerful looking band and I like to see photos of the band on album covers, not these poncy arty-farty designs we seem to get, like Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Flashpoint etc.

With an album of only 8 songs, the main problem is that they all need to be good ones with no filler to make it a good album. Thats not the case. I never liked "Melody" although I have to admit it was fun when they played it at Shepherds Bush five years ago. But on record I think it's turgid and one of the weakest songs they've ever released. "Fool to Cry" aint that bad really but it's nothing special. "Hey Negrita" is a decent hook that just goes on too long.

"Hot Stuff" I used to dislike but I have to say its grown on me in recent years. Especially loved the way they played it live on the few occasions its been aired on recent tours (check out Washington DC, opening night 1994. Those horns! THATS the way they shoulda done it).

Lots of people seem to dislike "Cherry oh Baby" but I've always found it charming. It always sounds like it's about to fall apart around them. It's a kind of "disintegration reggae", if you like.

"Crazy Mama" sounds more like the Faces than the Stones but it's irresistable. "Hand of Fate" is very good indeed and a lot of people rave about it, but had it been on "Some Girls" or "IORR" I think it would have been comparatively ignored amongst superior up tempo songs. As there's only two Stones-y style rockers on "Black and Blue" it tends to stand out for that purpose.

Which leaves the final cut on the album, "Memory Motel". The one genuine classic on the record and by some distance the best thing on it. A song always in my top 10 or so Stones records of all time. Absolutely beautiful and almost perfect in every way. On an album where most of the lyrics are otherwise uninspired and lacking in depth, those on this song are amongst the best Mick ever wrote. I love the way its actually two incomplete songs, one by Mick and one by Keith that have blended together seamlessly. And the vocals by both of them are majestic.

They took absolute ages to make this record (15 months with a US tour coming AFTER most of the tracks had been cut, yet it didnt come out for 8 months after the tour ended) and it's hard to see why, at times. Its an album on which they sound like theyre having a lot of fun, but by their standards while theres plenty of good hooks its pretty lightweight song-wise compared to what theyd done before and the masterpiece they were to make immediately afterwards
[Edited by Gazza]
August 18th, 2004 08:04 PM
Soldatti Black And Blue is a great album, the production is the best since Sticky Fingers and some songs are incredible as Hand Of Fate and Memory Motel. My review: 7.5/10
August 18th, 2004 10:38 PM
corgi37 Bit iffy about B&B. It needs at least 2 more songs. To me, it needs a "stones" song really bad.

Fool to cry drives me nuts. To much synth, not enough of the guitar soloing. Cherry oh baby i think i have played, like, twice. I cant stand it. But, then again, i cant stand reggae either.

The cover is awesome. I love Bill's outfit in the centre!! Looks like he's a member of the "Super friends".

Production is superb. Crystal clear. Hooray!! You can hear Charlie's bass drum! Try to hear it on some of Exile or Goats Head!

This album was huge in Oz. Very popular. Lots of chicks dug it too. I think i bought the LP around 1980. One of my chick friends absolutely adored it, but hated the Stones.

August 19th, 2004 03:27 AM
F505 One of their most underrated albums. There is no weak song on that album. All songs are very good. It's the most black album the Stones made. Melody is by far the best dance song they ever made. Hand of fate is one of the best rockers they ever made. Memory Motel is one of the best ballads they ever made. Hey Negrita is really brilliant. Hot Stuff is excellent. Crazy Mama is greasy. Fool to Cry is wonderful kitsch. Cherry Oh Baby is reggea that doesn't bore.
The band is in top shape. The cover is perfect. The album title is dead on target. Ron Wood made a overwhelming debute. Let them make a record like this again...
[Edited by F505]
August 19th, 2004 04:30 AM
padre When Mickboy put the long version of Slave in the middle of B&B, I think it really made a whole new album. Its groove fits perfectly, gives the whole set a bit more dirt...in fact I can't listen to it without Slave in there. I hope the next time they re-issue B&B that fucker makes the set.
August 19th, 2004 04:38 AM
F505
quote:
padre wrote:
When Mickboy put the long version of Slave in the middle of B&B, I think it really made a whole new album. Its groove fits perfectly, gives the whole set a bit more dirt...in fact I can't listen to it without Slave in there. I hope the next time they re-issue B&B that fucker makes the set.

In fact you are right. Slave fits perfectly in Black and Blue. It's more a B%B song than a Tattoo You song.
August 19th, 2004 04:48 AM
Gazza Its also the best song on "Tattoo You", but I doubt it was finished for "Black and Blue"
August 19th, 2004 08:22 AM
corgi37 It doesnt sound finished on TY either! lol. It's just a frigging jam! What is there to finish?

BTW, the longer version is just absolutely a killer!
August 19th, 2004 08:36 AM
Zeeta "Irie!" During "Cherry Oh Baby" is embarrasing - typical Mick J!

Honky Tonk Man rightly notes the solo in Hand of Fate.
I believe it to be the best guitar solo on record by the Stones. (?)

Love the cowbell in Crazy Mama!

Hey Negrita is very danceable makes me wanna move!

Memory Motel is too long and uninspired. I don't get it really although I know many guys do!

Black and Blue is, as Roy Walker from the ledgendary game show Catch-phrase used to say "good but it's not the one!"

August 20th, 2004 03:27 PM
tumbling dice Black and blue is the most ´funky´´album of the band,songs like hot stuff,hey negrita and cherry oh baby have a nice groove.Memory motel is classic but the rockers are weak ,Fool to cry was the worst single by them and melody is embarassing.Black and blue got a bealtiful cover and the boys are looking great but the album mirrors the 70s the ups and downs of the band.
August 20th, 2004 03:41 PM
glencar The 8 songs limit my interest in this particular work. I find myself in overall agreement with Gazza about this one although I think I like the 2 rockers just a bit more. On another board, I listed Memory Motel as one of my Top 20 post-1972 songs. Talk about Nick Hornby territory!
August 20th, 2004 03:44 PM
Some Guy Got it cranked up on shuffle! Don't ya love it when that happens!
Page: 1 2