ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Losers at the Vote For Change Tour Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
August 21st, 2004 01:58 AM
MarthaMyDear Simmer...

*** Martha ***
August 21st, 2004 02:01 AM
MarthaMyDear I LOVE YOU, TOO, MOONIE, AND THAT ROCKS YOU LIKE THE
NECKLACE!!! That reminds me... I've got to
start sporting mine... Thank you for reminding me!!! KEEP
ROCKIN' AND I *** WILL *** SEE YOU IN ENGLAND ON THE NEXT
TOUR!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
August 21st, 2004 02:05 AM
MarthaMyDear gypsy, Joey is going to be very upset by what you said: you
would marry SS... I fear for Joey's sanity on Monday... OH,
WAIT!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE'S SANE AROUND
HERE!!! THAT'S RIGHT!!!

*** Martha ***
August 21st, 2004 02:35 AM
gypsy joey is smitten w/ jb...it's been ages since he's left me any gifts in my underwear drawer.
August 21st, 2004 03:55 AM
MarthaMyDear Scarily, I think you're right!!! lol............. What the
hell happened to Joshy's secretary, also?!?!?!
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have never told those
two their astrological signs are compatible...
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YIKES!!! HE!!!! HE!!! HE!!!

*** Martha ***
August 21st, 2004 11:50 AM
steel driving hammer Meanwhile, last time I checked, (which was last night) The Rolling Stones still Rule.
August 22nd, 2004 12:28 AM
Sir Stonesalot SDH, that is the best thing you have posted in ages.

I'm almost done with your package. I'm waiting on a RL Burnside show and then it will be ready.

Gypsy makes my errr ummmmm ego swell.

Oh, and who's fighting? I don't need to feud with Bloozehound...he does a great job of making himself look like a twat without any help from me!
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
August 22nd, 2004 01:42 PM
Nasty Habits Hey, I heard Nancy Sinatra did a Sonic Youth song at the Kiddie Show.

Which one was it?

August 22nd, 2004 02:27 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nasty Fagit wrote:
Hey, I heard Nancy Sinatra did a Sonic Youth song at the Kiddie Show.

Which one was it?

maybe you should pull the sock puppet outta your ass and ask it
August 22nd, 2004 02:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nasty...she did Silver Rocket.

I'm kidding. It wasn't a Sonic Youth song. It was a song Thurston wrote for her called Mamma's Boy or something like that. It was majestic in it's awfulness. Interesting to note...Clem Burke was her drummer.
August 22nd, 2004 03:12 PM
Nasty Habits Clem Burke -- drummer for once incredibly sexy has beens from throughout the decades.

Actually I'm going to see Blondie tomorrow night at the Orange Peel and am pretty thrilled about it.

Sonic Youth wrapped up their current tour at the OP Friday. They closed out with a 35 minute version of Expressway to Your Skull that ended with everyone throwing their instruments away and just playing their amps. It was something else.

Check yr. PM -- I finally had a chance to go through your updated lists.

August 23rd, 2004 12:05 AM
Bloozehound You fickle libs love to romaticize anything and everything to the point that you aren't even able to comprehend the true reality of the situation anymore, it's like you live in some alternative reality.

So Little Stevens some hooker-with-a heart-of-gold, noble cherub, coming to you live each week as a true mole in the system, waging a secret war against the fickleness of consumer society and the big money suits, motivated only by a burning passion to get the good word out about the best kept musical secret of all time, GARAGE ROCK!

Funny your so quick to condemn the suits for selling ya your Chicken McNuggets, but lap it up with a spoon when they're sellin' ya your anarchy.

Yeah it's the biggest, baddest, bestest kept secret around alright, and my fiance's 13 year old niece and all her kiddie poo friends must be "in the know", cuz she's got a cd case filled with this boring, atrociousnous.

I got to spend some time in the car with her a while back, and out of curiousity I let her put some of it on, we went through 10 cds in less than 5 minutes.

I couldn't stand it. Didn't do a damned thing for me. Kiddie noise is all I heard. Strokes, Rooney(?), Jet, Vines, White Stripes, all that -- good for the kiddies, but not for me, bubba.

Oh yeah, she also filled me in about how Little Stevens Underground Garage Festival was possibly going be the best thing for mankind since sliced bread, and theres talk of a rumored reunion of Iggy Pop and the Stooges at this event -- whoopty fuckin' do!

I ran 20 red lights in their honor.

I've been aware of this garage rock trend for about 3 years, but have only been aware of Little Stevens show since it was picked up by my local classic rock station about a year ago. I listen to it, but only for the British Invasion/Stones angle that permeates its way into each show. Great source of info, and rare musical gems.

But every week it's the same shit...

former coolest song of the week, The Strokes
former coolest song of the week, The White Stripes
former coolest song of the week, from down under, heh heh, Jet!
former coolest song of the week, The Chesterfield Kings baby, heh heh!

I swear he plays the same groups, and the same damn song from each of these groups every time.

Can you smell the payolla from here baby, heh heh.

Beatles, the Stones, Yardbirds, Ramones -- yeah that's out there man, who would of thought of playing them on the radio ?

Any half-assed, college radio station across the nation, on any given moment, does 100 fold what Lil Steven claims he's doing, but they truely have their pulse on the scene, getting out the young unheard artists and the disenfranchised alike.

When Aerosmith's Honkin' on Bobo came out, Lil Steven was all over it, pushing that album as the greatest thing they've ever achieved in their entire career, and that album was dribble IMO.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what Aerosmith is these days, but garage rock ? and they surely not disenfrachised.

can you say corporate baby, heh heh, c o r p e r a t e

2 years from now when Jack Whites doing Micky D's commercials pimping hamburgers sayin shit like, "Whoa dude! Big Mac attack!" and the garage rock movements reached the cultural zenith and then begins its steady decline into obscurity and sales start slumpin, and the merchants of cool begin greasing the wheels of next "big thing", will Miami Steve still be coming to you live on the air each and every week trying to get the good word out on the merits of the by-then archiac garage rock revival, similar to what elder stateman Elwood Blues does carrying the torch of the sadly dying American art form known as the blues each week on his House of Blues radio show.

Will Miami Steve still just be about the rock n roll, baby ?

No, Miami Steve will be rockin' and rollin' alright, rockin' and rollin' his ass all the way to the bank with an assload of cash.

When the temperature starts to drop, he'll definitely bail, and get the hell out of Dodge while the gettins good, he'll be nothing but a memory sayin' "but boy did we sell some records baby, heh heh, heh heh"

There's your big musical revolution.

Exclusively marketed, packaged, and sold via Little Steven.

What are you guys gonna do with your mountain of cd's that are so boring and unvogue that even you don't care to hear them anymore. You can't pass'm on to your 13 year old nieces. She don't want them, the merchants of cool will already have her generations "big thing" marketed, packaged and ready to go. Archaic garage rock will be another passe trend whose time has come. Lil niece will be head over heals into the Doo Wop revival or whatever crap they push next.

No you'll just sit there in your pile of cd's saying to yourself, "Yeah, well, you know, garage rock just got to big. It killed the spirit, man!"

And then you'll take those cds and plant them up high on the shelf to grow dust next to all the other crap you've bought into hook, line and sinker over the years.

Will you file it under "C" for "crap" right alongside Cherry Poppin' Daddies and yer zoot suits ? There should be quite a bit of space under "P" with only 4 of Pearl Jam's sonically borring limpdickfests.

And then you'll throw on Sticky Fingers for the 10,000th time, but out of the distance something will probably catch your attention, the sounds of good ole Doo Wop coming off the kiddie's radio, and you'll start thinking, "you know, Doo Wop was really misundstood, it's just rock n roll with Sha Na Na..."

oof that was a rant.

Just my 2 cents, I am outta here.
August 23rd, 2004 12:08 AM
gypsy Dude, you are in bad need of spell check.
August 23rd, 2004 12:08 AM
LadyJane SS and NH...you guys are bringing back such good memories of some fav bands!!

I wish I could have been at the show. Iggy is NO. 2 to Jagger as far as charisma is concerned, IMHO. Crazy fucker..I love him!!

Thanks guys! Time to go crank some Stooges, MC5, Dolls, Ramones.......the list goes on..

LJ.
August 23rd, 2004 12:18 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Just my 2 cents

that's about all it was worth - and it equates to about $1.00 for 50,000 words - a very poor return

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
August 23rd, 2004 01:19 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

that's about all it was worth - and it equates to about $1.00 for 50,000 words - a very poor return

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

I actually find this a good topic, seeing how Little Steven's show is all the rage, and most of these garage rockers claim they're highly influenced by the Stones. I just haven't heard anything that interests me, what I've heard sounds like whiny, kid music.

I like my rock to have cojones, but a sensative guy like you probably wouldn't understand anything about this.

however, I did like Jack White's work on Loretta's album
August 23rd, 2004 01:20 AM
Sir Stonesalot >I am outta here.<

Bloozehound, that is the best news I've had all day.

Thank you kindly.

August 23rd, 2004 01:26 AM
gypsy Well, unfortunately, he's not a man of his word.
August 23rd, 2004 01:27 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I am outta here.<
Bloozehound, that is the best news I've had all day.

Thank you kindly.

that's possibly the most honest statement you've ever made on this board.

i meant i was done with this topic, i'll be around
August 23rd, 2004 01:45 AM
Sir Stonesalot >i meant i was done with this topic, i'll be around<

Oh you tease!

That is the worst news I have heard all day.

Gypsy, can you come over and console me? Repeatedly?
August 23rd, 2004 12:36 PM
Nasty Habits bloozehound, believe it or not, I think that you have some good points. I always have. And I appreciate you taking the time to clearly articulate them -- I found your initial thoughts on this topic interesting, and am glad that you've actually taken the time to actually write them out.

I think your points about Miami Steve and his garage rock show are somewhat accurate. I do think the guy has done some co-opting of a scene that he does not fully grasp. Real scenesters who've been into the garage punk thing for years hate his show and his guts. He has told bands that have been around for years that they're committing "career suicide" by putting out records he didn't like. I assume he uses the term because he read it in the 70s in Rolling Stone. He does not get the deal in some ways. But I don't necessarily think that he's exclusively in it for the money. The only thing I have to base that on is Springsteen and the E Street Band's roots. Steel Mill was nothing more than a trumped up garage band, and that's all the Castaways (?) were (I know Steel Mill was one of the Boss's first bands and I can't remember the name of the other one.) It makes since that on some level he's sincere in seeing no visible market for rock and roll music as dance party/teen fun and trying to fill that niche not just for profit but also for love. I would think you would see that because you KNOW Little Steven's a romanticizing liberal.

For instance, that tone of his letter I posted -- he seems to firmly think that a lot of the younger bands on this bill are going to make it when they are clearly never going to make it and don't have a hope in hell. As I've said in a previous post on this thread, the notion that anything truly musical will break wide in the overground because of a garage rock trend is "the rage" amongst Mojo and whereever else it is is, in my opinion, wrong.

Truth to tell, I have never heard Little Steve's show and I don't read the big rock mags -- I get my musical info from different sources, so most of the above is speculation and observation from the other side of the fence.

But you don't find it cool that 13 year olds are hearing the Yardbirds and early Stones and whatever else actually gets played on Steve's show? Why? Don't you want them people to know about rock and roll? Do you begrudge someone like Greg Cartwright from the Reigning Sound/Oblivians/Compulsive Gamblers, who's been writing great rock songs for something like 15 years or so and touring for shit actually being able to make a decent living at the moment because the Hives love his music so much they take him on tour throughout America? Would you rather he go on unemployment and be a draw on the system? Or just shut up and bury himself in a soul killing day job and become a bitter resentful person with a deck fulla dead dreams?

I agree with you about the Strokes, the Vines, the Jet, the Darkness -- I have absolutely no use for these bands whatsoever. They do not enter into my own idea of the great interlocking groove that starts with Gus Cannon's Jug Jumpers, apotheosizes with the Stones and continues through the New York Dolls to show up occasionally on the latest Preacher's Kids' record.

The White Stripes I think are the real deal and Jack is a real talented songsmith (who doesn't really write about anything). If he's fooling us he's obviously fooled Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones as well, because both have had them on stage and Dylan sang one of the dude's songs. I still think their first record is very exciting, maybe even great, their second record is pretty great, and then #3 and #4 have had moments but there is a little bit more artifice between the band and me every time out. It's tough to say. One thing about a garage rock band -- if they make more than two records they are no longer a garage rock band and are on to being something else.

But for you to call the music rootless and nutless is ridiculous. Bands like DMZ/the Lyres, thee Headcoats/Mighty Ceasars, the Cramps, the Oblivians/Compulsive Gamblers/Reigning Sound, Gories/Blacktop/Dirt Bombs are mining a similar vein of rich music to what the Stones discovered when they discovered American rhythm and blues/blues/rock and roll. The Cramps and their kin dig deeper into the land of 45s and forgotten LPs to come up with sounds that either due to their unhinged energy and enthusiasm or sheer primitivity had no chance of connecting with a mass audience. Stuff that shows up on the Nuggets boxes Rhino put out, or the even wilder CDs/Records that Crypt put out on the Back from the Grave series. Deranged hillbilly rockabilly from the 50s. Jukebox R&B records (loads with Ike Turner guitar). Crazed instrumentals by Link Wray. At its essence this thing that is called "garage rock", is a music that has a fundamentally true core to it. It goes back along the exact same lines as the Stones music, just following a slightly different channel of attempted (and generally failed) commerce.

I would be more than happy to list 20 records from 1990-2004 that I think stand the test of repeated play after years on and off the turntable if you would care to request it.

Oh, and guess what? There are TONS of DO WOP records that totally kick ass. Try the Five Royals some time. Or Hank Ballard and the Midnighters. Or some of the really great Coasters records. Or the gorgeous singing of Norm Strong and the Diablos. Or the evil sinister sexual energy of the Five Dollars. Or any number of echo drenched, moody ass harmonies on say, the Five Satins' "Still of the Night". Or the insanity of "Juicy Crocodile" or "Shobolar". All as just an instance. This is the stuff of life, man. Real music. Raw and wonderful. I don't know why you shut your self off to it. Try to keep an open mind about things you haven't really explored.

I don't want a doo wop revival, though.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
August 23rd, 2004 12:59 PM
steel driving hammer Thanks SS, since I lessened my drinking, I seem to be Losing My Touch.

Guess I'm just an average white guy singing to myself, "How'd the white boy get the blues..."

Raise me 6 feet w/ dat Hooker man.
August 23rd, 2004 02:19 PM
Joey
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Thanks SS, since I lessened my drinking, I seem to be Losing My Touch.

Guess I'm just an average white guy singing to myself, "How'd the white boy get the blues..."

Raise me 6 feet w/ dat Hooker man.

I smell another Tet Offensive coming real soon ..................and you's ?!?!?!

Developing .....................................

Shiver ..........................................

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe J Jo Joe Joey !

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJOEY !
[Edited by Joey]
August 23rd, 2004 02:54 PM
gypsy You are right, joey.
August 23rd, 2004 04:13 PM
MarthaMyDear Simmer down.

*** Martha ***
August 23rd, 2004 04:22 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I would be more than happy to list 20 records from 1990-2004 that I think stand the test of repeated play after years on and off the turntable if you would care to request it.

sure, go for it, but just define exactly what you mean. Are these the absolute cream of the crop, the new-classic, masterpieces that will go down as the ones that defined their particular genre, and space in musical history, and demand to be remembered ?

The Exile on Mainstreet, London's Calling, Aja or Highway 61 Revisited's of this particular time frame, or are they just all around, good, solid music that you personally will want to hear 5 - 10 years down the line ?
August 23rd, 2004 04:55 PM
Gazza >(I know Steel Mill was one of the Boss's first bands and I can't remember the name of the other one.)

the Castiles, Child and..Dr Zoom and the Sonic Boom!
August 23rd, 2004 06:14 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
sure, go for it, but just define exactly what you mean. Are these the absolute cream of the crop, the new-classic, masterpieces that will go down as the ones that defined their particular genre, and space in musical history, and demand to be remembered ?

The Exile on Mainstreet, London's Calling, Aja or Highway 61 Revisited's of this particular time frame, or are they just all around, good, solid music that you personally will want to hear 5 - 10 years down the line ?

hmmmmm . . . . that's a tough call, bloozey. I do recognize the fundamental divide you're talking about. I think we may come at music differently -- I could argue against the notion of records defining eras or which records really do that. To use your own list up there, I don't like AJA and don't think it has ANYTHING to do with 1979. So who makes the rules?

For the sake of debate, I'll take what I perceive to be your point. Is this stuff great to anyone, or did you have to be there? I don't know, I was there. But when I get my distanced/ involved groove on, these are the ones that seem to be accessible/engaging to the general listener as well as being exciting for the fan, which is what I think records with longevity are all about.

Will these records be in books and guides for people to find among the debris ten years from now? Dunno. Most of them weren't reviewed by the major magazines when they came out because no one gave a shit about "garage" 15, 10, 7 years ago. But as albums, they make sense from beginning to end and take the listener somewhere during the trip, which is what "classics" are supposed to do. And scanning over the list I think most of them are pretty motherfucking epic.

But if you don't think the Cramps' Songs the Lord Taught Us or Fun House or the first Modern Lovers album or a 45 of Surfin' Bird belongs on a list with Exile and Highway (do ya?) I suggest you will probably not find the sensibility of these records engaging. I do.

Clear?

I have starred records I think are particularly influenced by the Stones one way or another. Order is rough, but there.

*1. Blacktop -- I've Got a Baaaaaaaaaad Feeling About This
*2. The Compulsive Gamblers -- Bluff City
*3. Thee Headcoats -- The Kids Are All Square -- This Is Hip!!
*4. The Oblivians -- Play 9 Songs with Mr. Quintron
*5. The White Stripes -- s/t
*6. The Revelators -- We Told You Not to Cross Us
*7. Jack O'Fire -- The Destruction of Squaresville
*8. The Subsonics -- Everything Is Falling Apart
*9. The Detroit Cobras - Mink Rabbit or Rat?
*10. The Deadly Snakes -- Ode to Joy
11. Supercharger -- s/t -- 1990
12. The Mummies -- Never Been Caught
*13. The Gories -- I Know You Be Houserockin'
*14. The Lazy Cowgirls -- Ragged Glory
*15. MOTO -- Kill M.O.T.O
*16. Demolition Doll Rods -- Tasty
17. The Country Teasers -- Satan Is Real Again!
18. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion -- ORANGE
19. Holly Golightly -- Serial Girlfriend
*20. The Neckbones -- The Lights Are Getting Dim
August 23rd, 2004 07:07 PM
beer Nasty, you accidently left off the follwing albums:

Stryper 'To Hell with the Devil'

Urban Cowboy movie soundtrack

All 35 of The Melvins LP's.

August 24th, 2004 10:37 AM
Nasty Habits Sorry, beer, but you didn't listen to the rules. This is 1990-2004. To Hell with the Devil, despite its delightfully stoopid cover of Louie Louie, was released in the 80s. Their original group configuration -- The Black and Gold Stripes, and their first album -- Jukin' for Jesus, was actually a lot better than even the mighty THWTD.

Same goes for the Urban C-Boy OST. Despite the appearance of famous ga-ragers like Dan Fogleberg and Mickey Gilley, it came out too early to fit into my narrowly defined listation.

And as for the Melvins, they're not garage. They're garunge. Whole different kettle of wax.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5