ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Who's driving my bus?
The Bigger Bang Bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina
40x5 la Disquería/ Midnight Rambler / 40x5 Tributo bar / EMI Argentina / Modena Desing
Photo by khalil78 from BdP the message board by Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: UK Midweek: ABB #1 Return to archive
September 6th, 2005 10:01 AM
Soldatti Rolling Stones go head-to-head with Blunt
Music Week
06 September 2005 - 12:05:06

The Rolling Stones are fighting it out with James Blunt to score their first UK number one album since 1994’s Voodoo Lounge.

Retail reports suggest the band’s newly-issued Virgin album A Bigger Bang is slightly ahead of James Blunt’s Atlantic-issued Back To Bedlam as the band look to achieve their 11th UK chart-topper, the highest for any group bar The Beatles.

The Stones are likely to be joined in this Sunday’s Top 20 by fellow Sixties survivor Bob Dylan whose No Direction Home soundtrack to the documentary Martin Scorsese has made about him is due to become the week’s second highest debut. In an unusually quiet first week of September, the only other brand new albums challenging to enter the Top 40 are Interscope-signed rapper Tony Yayo with Thoughts Of A Predicate Felon an Kate Rusby’s Pure-issued Girl Couldn’t Fly.
September 6th, 2005 10:04 AM
gimmekeef I am truly out of it...First a 50 cents guy now a James Blunt?..Who are these people?
September 6th, 2005 10:09 AM
Gazza James Blunt is the guy who is going to have the #2 album in Britain this week..thats all you need to know

If the Stones reach #1 (and I think they will), I think that makes them the first act to have UK no. 1's in five decades (and unlike most other major acts, they havent had to rely on compilations to reach such a unique statistic). I'm sure Soldatti can correct me if I'm wrong

Emotional Rescue was #1 in 1980 and Voodoo Lounge in 1994.

Considering the fact that the Stones never tour Europe immediately behind a new album (Black and Blue was the last studio one and theres only been Still Life ever since) thats quite an accomplishment
[Edited by Gazza]
September 6th, 2005 11:24 AM
Flashpoint
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Emotional Rescue was #1 in 1980 and Voodoo Lounge in 1994.

What happened with Tatoo You?...Didn't Make It To #1?
September 6th, 2005 12:28 PM
Soldatti Tattoo You was #2 in UK during two weeks, Meat Loaf (DEAD RINGER) was #1.
September 6th, 2005 12:29 PM
jb Kayne West and Fitty Cents will be #1 and 2 followed by the Stones....at least they charted in 4 decades....
September 6th, 2005 12:34 PM
Soldatti UK Monday Sales

Albums

1 Rolling Stones (12.7k) *new*
2 James Blunt (11.5)
17 Bob Dylan *new*
35 Tony Yayo *new*
38 Kate Rusby *new*
47 Richard Hawley *new*
108 R Stones - 40 licks *re* (500 copies)
September 6th, 2005 01:25 PM
glencar Is 12K a lot though? Here it will sell at least 250K in the first week.
September 6th, 2005 01:27 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is 12K a lot though? Here it will sell at least 250K in the first week.

Not really.......a good UK albums sells at least 100k...
September 6th, 2005 01:28 PM
glencar In one day???
September 6th, 2005 01:35 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
In one day???

Naw...to reach "Gold" whereas in US it must sell 500k...and 1 Mil for Platinum.
September 6th, 2005 02:17 PM
Soldatti Almost 13k the first day is a lot in England, Live Licks sold 10,000 in the whole first week!
The album will reach 50-60k over the weekend.
September 6th, 2005 02:38 PM
Monkeytonk-man fuck me, i know it shouldn't, but this is getting me quite excited! for some reason i'd just love to find out on sunday that the stones have the UK No. 1 album. Trying not to get my hopes up, but it would be a very cool thing.

If it is, then i'm out on the piss sunday night to celebrate. Love to go into my local rock pub and get off my tits in celebratory fashion.

Of course I got work the next morning, but I'm not gonna let a little thing like that stop me.

Kep on rockin!
September 6th, 2005 03:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is 12K a lot though? Here it will sell at least 250K in the first week.

well do the maths. Your population is five times greater than ours. That would equate to 50,000 here in a week which by any standards is pretty decent (especially since theyre not on tour here!)...12,000 in the first day is very good. At that rate, I think the Stones will be number 1 on Sunday
September 6th, 2005 03:42 PM
jb [quote]Gazza wrote:

well do the maths. Your population is five times greater than ours. That would equate to 50,000 here in a week which by any standards is pretty decent (especially since theyre not on tour here!)...12,000 in the first day is very good. At that rate, I think the Stones will be number 1 on Sunday
[/quote
I am sorry Gazza....but this will not happen. My prediction is total sales will be 29,819 by weeks end.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)