ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Who's driving my bus?
The Bigger Bang Bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina
40x5 la Disquería/ Midnight Rambler / 40x5 Tributo bar / EMI Argentina / Modena Desing
Photo by khalil78 from BdP the message board by Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: did ray charles write "night time?" Return to archive
September 5th, 2005 08:13 PM
mac_daddy i know it was a big hit for him, but i think somebody else wrote it. on "green river" it is credited to another pair of songwriters, and includes the publishing company (which is not ray's)...

i ask because i am listening to the detroit show, and mick calls it a "ray charles' tune" and i am not sure that it is.

(edited for type-o's)
[Edited by mac_daddy]
September 5th, 2005 08:20 PM
Gazza No, it was written by Napoleon Brown/Ozzie Cadena/Lew Herman.

Ray was the first to record it, however (in 1959, I think)
September 5th, 2005 08:23 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
No, it was written by Napoleon Brown/Ozzie Cadena/Lew Herman.

Ray was the first to record it, however (in 1959, I think)

creedence only credits two of those guys...
September 5th, 2005 08:31 PM
Gazza I assume its Herman and Cadena, then.

I've seen it credited to two people and sometimes three.

See www.allmusic.com
September 5th, 2005 08:37 PM
mac_daddy thanks for the info, gazza.
September 5th, 2005 08:39 PM
Nasty Habits It was written and performed originally by Nappy Brown, mac_daddy. Ray had the hit.

September 5th, 2005 08:46 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
It was written and performed originally by Nappy Brown, mac_daddy. Ray had the hit.

so mick should be introducing it as "a nappy brown tune..?"

i have never heard of nappy brown. why is it credited to the songwriting pair/trio cited above..?

nasty - you have a PM, too
September 5th, 2005 09:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot I like The Strangeloves version.
September 5th, 2005 10:48 PM
Thing One Ray Charles was a good friend of Ronnie Milsap. Neither was a friend of Stevie Wonder. Jeff Healey idolized all three growing up. Helen Keller, however, was deaf and blind so she had no appreciation of any of the above four.
September 6th, 2005 08:41 AM
Nasty Habits mac - I'm surprised that anyone would take the credits on most 50s compositions seriously! It's sometimes attributed to Lew Herman, sometimes to Napoleon Brown, sometimes to all. I don't know Lew Herman. Maybe he was a collaborator of Brown's but considering his credits on the Allmusic page are that of "executive producer", I'd guess he wrote songs as often as Sid Nathan or Alan Freed did.

But my Savoy LP of Nappy gives him songwriting credit in third, anyway.

By this point it doesn't matter -- it IS a Ray Charles song. He had the hit, his arrangement is definitive and saying "This is a Nappy Brown song that Ray Charles had a big hit with" diffuses the momentum of the concert moment. I think we shoul make this one of those "Even if it didn't happen it did" type moments.

It's the singer, not the song.

September 6th, 2005 08:46 AM
mac_daddy gotcha.

i wasnt going for an oliver stone moment - i was just genuinely curious (sometimes that is how you get turned on to songwriting teams). plus i found out about the allmusic page, and hadnt checked that site out before. thanks to both you and gazza...
September 6th, 2005 08:52 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Thing One wrote:
Ray Charles was a good friend of Ronnie Milsap. Neither was a friend of Stevie Wonder. Jeff Healey idolized all three growing up. Helen Keller, however, was deaf and blind so she had no appreciation of any of the above four.

I bet she would have been fond of Charlotte Church.
September 6th, 2005 02:14 PM
jpenn11 Does the Stones' version of I'm Movin On come from the Ray Charles arrangement, or is it more like Hank Snow?

Did they do anything else that is (even remotely) a Ray Charles tune before Night Time?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)