ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Who's driving my bus?
The Bigger Bang Bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina
40x5 la Disquería/ Midnight Rambler / 40x5 Tributo bar / EMI Argentina / Modena Desing
Photo by khalil78 from BdP the message board by Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: REHNQUIST DEAD Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 4th, 2005 02:24 AM
time is on my side Supreme Court Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist has died according to a Supreme Court spokesperson.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Chief Justice William Rehnquist, who quietly advanced the conservative ideology of the Supreme Court under his leadership, died Saturday evening. He was 80.

The justice, diagnosed with thyroid cancer, had a tracheotomy and received chemotherapy and radiation as part of his treatment.

Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said Rehnquist had "continued to perform his duties on the Court until a precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days."

Then with his three children beside him, the justice died at his suburban Virginia home, a court spokeswoman said.

Rehnquist had become increasingly frail after his cancer diagnosis last October, but his office had refused to characterize the seriousness of his illness.

Meanwhile, he'd worked from home for several months and missed oral arguments in a number of cases.

President Bush learned of the death shortly before 11 p.m. ET Saturday, the White House said.

"The president and Mrs. Bush are deeply saddened by the passing of the chief justice," according to a written statement. It said Bush planned to make a statement Sunday morning.

End of term, end of speculation
Rehnquist adjourned the court in late June and ended speculation about his resignation.

Hours after leaving the hospital in July following treatment for fever, he made a decree:

"I want to put to rest the speculation and unfounded rumors of my imminent retirement," he said in a written statement. "I am not about to announce my retirement. I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits."

He went to work the next day.

Four months earlier, when Rehnquist joined the other justices for the first time after a break, he showed no emotion, paid sharp attention to arguments and asked eight or nine technical questions.

Despite the tracheotomy tube in his throat to help him breathe, his voice was fairly strong.

A junior justice
President Nixon appointed Rehnquist to the Supreme Court in 1972, and in 1986, President Reagan tapped him as chief justice to replace Warren Burger.

In that role, he led the closed-door conferences where justices discuss and vote on cases; assigned who wrote the majority rulings; managed the docket; controlled open court arguments; and supervised the 300 or so court employees, including clerks, secretaries, police and support staff.

Rehnquist, who belonged to a loose, 5-4 conservative majority, was the second-oldest man to preside over the nation's highest court.

Early in his tenure, he often was the lone dissenter, despite the presence of two other Republican appointees.

David Yalof, a constitutional law professor at the University of Connecticut, credited Rehnquist with moving the court in a consistent, conservative direction.

"He was able, over time, to gather colleagues together cordially, manage tension, build a majority and turn them over to his point of view," Yalof said.

Rehnquist followed the legal philosophy of judicial restraint, which interprets the U.S. Constitution narrowly.

He believed the only rights the Constitution protects are those the document names specifically, and justices should consider the framers' original intent when making rulings.

Shortly after Nixon named him as an associate justice, Rehnquist and Justice Byron White were the only dissenters in the landmark Roe v. Wade case (1973), which established that a woman's right to an abortion was protected under a woman's right to privacy.

"To reach its result, the court necessarily has had to find within the scope of the 14th Amendment a right that was apparently completely unknown to the drafters of the amendment," Rehnquist wrote in his dissent.

Making a mark
In 1999, Rehnquist became the second chief justice in U.S. history to preside over a presidential impeachment -- that of President Bill Clinton, who was acquitted.

Having already sat on the court for 14 years, Rehnquist quickly matured in the role of chief justice. He cut the number of cases the court agreed to hear, streamlined conferences and sought clearer, strongly reasoned opinions.

Jay Jorgensen, a former clerk for the chief justice, said it was the little things Rehnquist did that built personal trust, loyalty and respect among justices who were often sharply divided ideologically.

"He set up a system during conferences where every justice, one by one, in order of seniority, is allowed to weigh in on a case," Jorgensen said. "There is no free-for-all debate, the chief justice does not allow bickering."

Saturday night, Ruth Wedgwood, a constitutional lawyer and close friend of Rehnquist, said, "He was an interesting man. He had an interesting life. Over time, I think he became a much more unifying figure in the court."

His death, she said, puts a "great burden" on the Senate, which will be responsible for confirming a replacement.

[Edited by time is on my side]
September 4th, 2005 07:47 AM
Jumping Jack Just what the country needs at this time.

I just can't wait for the shitmeisters to start in on this.
September 4th, 2005 07:54 AM
Poplar
Good Justice

September 4th, 2005 09:44 AM
Gazza why is this being posted?
September 4th, 2005 09:46 AM
Nellcote Just caught an interview with Renquist on Fox.
When asked what type of music he enjoyed, he
said he like Ruby Tuesday...
September 4th, 2005 09:50 AM
Gazza oh....well that makes it ok then...
September 4th, 2005 10:12 AM
jb Bush shall now be free to appoint another right wing fanatic to the court and appoint Scalia as Chief Justice. I feel sorry for woman, minorities, the envionment, and civil liberties. The land of the "free" will be slowly but surely be turned into the land of the oppressed run by corporate interests , with individual freedoms eroded. Kiss Roe v Wade goodbye, as women will have to travel to New York or California to ensure their reproductive rights,(while those too poor will forced again to back alleys or have unwanted children-you already see how our compassionate conservative government takes care of little black babies in NOLA) Alaska will be a giant oil spill, gay persecution will increase and the rich will get further tax breaks at the expense of the middle class(the same yahoos who voted for Bush b/c he is so macho).......you reap what you sow...and the not so affluent righties will regret their stupidity in voting this incompetent "W" as their Prez..........
September 4th, 2005 01:05 PM
The_Worst
quote:
jb wrote:
Bush shall now be free to appoint another right wing fanatic to the court and appoint Scalia as Chief Justice. I feel sorry for woman, minorities, the envionment, and civil liberties. The land of the "free" will be slowly but surely be turned into the land of the oppressed run by corporate interests , with individual freedoms eroded. Kiss Roe v Wade goodbye, as women will have to travel to New York or California to ensure their reproductive rights,(while those too poor will forced again to back alleys or have unwanted children-you already see how our compassionate conservative government takes care of little black babies in NOLA) Alaska will be a giant oil spill, gay persecution will increase and the rich will get further tax breaks at the expense of the middle class(the same yahoos who voted for Bush b/c he is so macho).......you reap what you sow...and the not so affluent righties will regret their stupidity in voting this incompetent "W" as their Prez..........

Come on jb...we all know you are simply bitter that you are not on GWB's short list of potential nominees...
September 4th, 2005 01:14 PM
KeepRigid I knew this would happen eventually.
September 4th, 2005 03:00 PM
the good
quote:
jb wrote:
Bush shall now be free to appoint another right wing fanatic to the court and appoint Scalia as Chief Justice. I feel sorry for woman, minorities, the envionment, and civil liberties. The land of the "free" will be slowly but surely be turned into the land of the oppressed run by corporate interests , with individual freedoms eroded. Kiss Roe v Wade goodbye, as women will have to travel to New York or California to ensure their reproductive rights,(while those too poor will forced again to back alleys or have unwanted children-you already see how our compassionate conservative government takes care of little black babies in NOLA) Alaska will be a giant oil spill, gay persecution will increase and the rich will get further tax breaks at the expense of the middle class(the same yahoos who voted for Bush b/c he is so macho).......you reap what you sow...and the not so affluent righties will regret their stupidity in voting this incompetent "W" as their Prez..........

I am so tired of hearing this crap. Maybe if you guys came up with any half decent ideas you wouldn't be routinely rejected by the American people.
September 4th, 2005 03:00 PM
nankerphelge Yes, Wild Bill was once interviewed on 60 Minutes I think and the question was had he ever listened to rock and roll. His answer was yes, and when they asked him if he knew any songs, his first and only response was Ruby Tuesday!!

September 4th, 2005 03:06 PM
jb
quote:
the good wrote:

I am so tired of hearing this crap. Maybe if you guys came up with any half decent ideas you wouldn't be routinely rejected by the American people.

"Kill all the lawyers"(?)
September 4th, 2005 03:21 PM
nankerphelge Gulp!
September 4th, 2005 03:34 PM
pdog I was shocked!
September 4th, 2005 05:55 PM
the good
quote:
jb wrote:
"Kill all the lawyers"(?)

No, I don't want that JB! There is nothing wrong with lawyers. I know that your an attorney, and I have a few attorneys in my familiy.
September 4th, 2005 06:01 PM
Jumping Jack Since you suggested it they would make excellent reinforcing for the new levees, LOL!!!
September 4th, 2005 06:57 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Gazza wrote:
why is this being posted?

What the hell, I was kind of drunk at the TIME and was surprised at the news and there seems to be a lot of lawyers on this site. On reflection and when I'm sober, I can understand your point. What in the world does this have to do with rock and roll or the STONES?????

[Edited by time is on my side]
September 4th, 2005 07:09 PM
FPM C10 No, this goes more with the threads about the disasters befalling America right now. Now the fucking incompetent idiot who appointed Michael Brown to be head of FEMA, Michael Chertoff Director of Homeland Security, Condoleeza Rice Secretary of State - the list of unqualified cronies and yes-men he has foisted upon this suffering nation is nearly endless - will get to stack the Supreme Court with HIS choices. The damage he's done to this nation, if we survive his actual tenure, will stay with us into the foreseeable future.

Regime change NOW.
September 4th, 2005 07:47 PM
lonecrapshooter they just mentioned on Fox that he likes "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday"
September 4th, 2005 08:07 PM
stonesmik
quote:

Supreme Court Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist has died

"Ruby Tuesday" probably happens to be the Stones track played in supermarkets and elevators... the ex Supreme Court Chief Justice may now be in that Big Elevator going which direction?

Comfort for the rest of us comes from Screamin' Jay Hawkins: "One day you won't die."
September 4th, 2005 08:33 PM
jb He was a horrible Chief Justice who set our country back 100 yrs....Scalia will be even worse. I hope they both burn in hell!!!!
[Edited by jb]
September 4th, 2005 09:13 PM
The_Worst
quote:
jb wrote:
He was a horrible Chief Justice who set our country back 100 yrs....Scalia will be even worse. I hope they both burn in hell!!!!
[Edited by jb]

Chief Justice Scalia... God I like the sound of that!!!
September 4th, 2005 09:14 PM
glencar RIP Mr. Chief Justice.
September 4th, 2005 09:18 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
RIP Mr. Chief Justice.

RIP ......even though you were very bad for the country, you got fucked with thyroid cancer..........yet Rod Stewart continues to maked crappy American Classic albums.
September 4th, 2005 09:19 PM
glencar They had different forms of it. Joshy, the man just passed. Let the politics go for 20 minutes.
September 4th, 2005 09:22 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
They had different forms of it. Joshy, the man just passed. Let the politics go for 20 minutes.

Agree..Rod had a minor case..William had it bad....I have severe laryngyl refux per my ENT ..........I need a wedge pillow.....
September 4th, 2005 09:23 PM
glencar I need a hearing aid soon.
September 4th, 2005 09:23 PM
glencar You listening to Riffy?
September 4th, 2005 09:24 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
You listening to Riffy?

No, I am drunk and upset about my incompetence re Chicago!!!!
September 4th, 2005 09:25 PM
glencar I'm having one beer. Everything in moderation, seriously!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)