ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Who's driving my bus?
The Bigger Bang Bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina
40x5 la Disquería/ Midnight Rambler / 40x5 Tributo bar / EMI Argentina / Modena Desing
Photo by khalil78 from BdP the message board by Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ...sold in a market down in New Orleans.... Return to archive
September 3rd, 2005 11:22 PM
sirmoonie We have to re-build that city, right? We have to. Everything, other than a few matters of the heart, boils down to a cost vs. benefit analysis. But a precious resource like the city of New Orleans, that has to be worth more than any projected budget we'll come up with.

Its like rebuilding the Twin Towers in some fashion. Just must be done. Bennies was costs.

Long live The Big Easy, New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.!
September 3rd, 2005 11:42 PM
Phog Agreed!! Great post brother Moonie. It's gonna take a ton of work, but it shall be done. N.O. is a national fucking treasure.
September 4th, 2005 02:00 AM
Bloozehound [quote]Bloozehound wrote:

i was really looking foward to buying many rounds for my "freinds" from this board that could make it

we live in a weird world

NO will be back, there's no other place on earth with that much soul and culture

it'll rebound stronger than ever

doubtfully in time for the Stones

[Edited by Bloozehound]
September 4th, 2005 02:10 AM
time is on my side Yeah, New Orleans, The Big Easy, is going to be back. You can count on it. No question what so ever about that in my mind. It may take some TIME and it's going to be awfully expensive but it's going to come back bigger and better than ever. As someone said, it's a national treasure. I'm confident we will do whatever it takes.

It's my guess that this huge national disaster has finally awaken some politicians who have been asleep at the switch for all these years. Part of the rebuilding process will be the building of a better levee system able to withstand a category 5 hurricane.

[Edited by time is on my side]
September 4th, 2005 04:04 AM
JesusMe No way should it be rebuilt, it is a waste of taxpayers dollars and resources

Nature is telling us something, and that is cities shouldnt be built 10 feet below sea level

And that goes for all these other coastal areas destroyed by hurricanes, how selfish is it to rebuild it? There is plenty of spaces in the United States where you can rebuild and not worry about hurricanes..

As I said nature tells us things and we refuse to listen, these things will continue to happen until we wake up and make progress..
September 4th, 2005 04:15 AM
Bloozehound common sense preailes

itsa the big easry

im trashed

fukc it
September 4th, 2005 04:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels some articles

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/food/orl-odetono05sep04,0,7967956.story?coll=orl-shoppinghg-headlinesinthek

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050903/ap_on_re_us/katrina_the_city_that_was_hk1_2

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 4th, 2005 06:51 AM
gotdablouse I guess it depends whehther the engineers think they can build a levee system that can withhold a Cat 5 hurricane. I must say I was surprise to see how think that canal street levee was,looked like a small wall. The flooding came from the other side though mostly. A good read about the levee's here http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/orleans.levees/index.html

Has anyone else been haunted by that Led Zep song "When the levee is going to break" with the massive Bonzo drumming ?...
September 4th, 2005 07:27 AM
Poplar
some die-hard New Orleans folk are swaering Mardi Gras is on for 2006.

no joke - they're serious.

good for them.

September 4th, 2005 11:03 AM
BlindLemon JesusMe,
maybe u should start a civil initiative to tear down Venezia - I mean its just on the sea level, San Marco sq gets flooded periodically - why keep it - its just a bit of unique Renaissance and baroque architecture, with some early medieval Byzantine gems thrown in for good measure, right?
Same for La Nouvelle Orleans - its just French colonial architecture at its best, home to jazz, who would give a f#&@, right?
I seriously think anyone who ever visited NO would never say sg like that in his/her right mind...
September 4th, 2005 11:07 AM
nankerphelge Mardi Gras may be on, but it is early this year and no way they are gonna have a normal one.

Funny someone mentioned When the Levee Breaks -- the local FM station used to play it duringheavy rains -- I used to live in New Orleans east -- right near a huge levee -- it was weird!
September 4th, 2005 12:41 PM
FPM C10 Yes, it must be rebuilt - but how do you rebuild history? Will a rebuilt NO be a Disneyfied version of it's old self? Will the ghost of Buddy Bolden be found ten miles inland and restored to his familiar haunts? Are we going to rebuild the whorehouses of Storyville, restore the parlors where Louis Armstrong learned to play jazz to their decayed elegance? How absurd these thoughts are. Yeah, rebuild it, and name it Bush City.

This disaster has ripped our guts out. Yes, they will undoubtedly be replaced with gleaming new plastic guts that work more efficiently. We can build a city where N'awlins once stood, but is it going to BE N'awlins? And will the stench of our national shame, of corpses rotting in the street while bureaucrats fight over whose fault our shocking unpreparedness and sickening incompetence is, even be expunged?

Ever hear this song? Louis Armstrong recorded it, and Billie Holiday, and Harry Connick Jr, and Dr John...man, it makes me cry like a baby, and I've never been to N'awlins.

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
And miss it each night and day
I know I'm not wrong... this feeling's gettin' stronger
The longer, I stay away
Miss them moss covered vines...the tall sugar pines
Where mockin' birds used to sing
And I'd like to see that lazy Mississippi...hurryin' into spring

The moonlight on the bayou.......a Creole tune.... that fills the air
I dream... about Magnolias in bloom......and I'm wishin' I was there

When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more...I miss the one I care for
More than I miss New Orleans

The moonlight on the bayou.......a Creole tune.... that fills the air
I dream... about Magnolias in bloom......and I'm wishin' I was there

When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more...I miss the one I care for
More.....more than I miss.......New Orleans

September 4th, 2005 01:14 PM
thejuf The lyrics of Randy Newman's Louisianahave become harsh reality....

New Orleans is home to jazz and blues.... we must support all its beautiful people!!!
September 4th, 2005 03:36 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Singing the blues

Celebrated New Orleans musicians relocate to Palmetto

WADE TATANGELO
Herald Staff Writer
9/4/02

PALMETTO - She kneeled by the Marshall speaker cabinet and lit a cigarette. Her hands shook. Famed New Orleans blues singer Irene Sage was about to give her first performance since losing the family home to Hurricane Katrina.

Sage looked to her husband and guitarist Scott Conklin for support. She made eye contact with her 7-year-old daughter Sidney. Then out poured the poignant lyrics to the classic soul anthem, "People Get Ready."

Her blue eyes welled with tears as she sang about persevering in the face of overwhelming hardship.

"All you need is faith to hear the diesels hummin'," Sage intoned. "You don't need no ticket, you just thank the Lord."

The attendees, many of whom are Sage's relatives, were visibly moved at Saturday's Labor Day Weekend Jam Fest at Riverside Plaza in Palmetto. The event was presented by Dockside Smoothie and Coffee bar, which is owned by Irene's sister, Amy Sage, of Palmetto. It became a benefit concert in the wake of the Katrina disaster.

"People Get Ready" and the inspired performances that followed were Sage's and Conklin's catharsis.

Sage was set free by the second number, Rufus Thomas' hard-hitting blues standard, "Walking the Dog." Blond hair blown back by the breeze. Arms flailing. Hips swaying in time with the swampy groove. She contorted her face to squeeze her soul into every note. These Big Easy refugees were able to lose themselves in the music as the sun set across the Manatee River behind them.

"The whole time I was just thinking about what everybody was going through," Sage said as she dried her eyes after the show. "And it made me think just how happy our family is still together after all this."

For the first time since the tragedy, Sage and her husband found reprieve thanks to the sultry style of music for which the Crescent City is famous.

"It made me exhale for the first time," Sage said. "It was nice singing instead of crying."

Sage evacuated the doomed city in a convoy that included her husband, daughter, guitarist and band member Mark Hewitt and his wife, Sage's parents and the cantankerous 86-year-old neighbor that Sage's father had to literally force into the car.

Sage and her fellow New Orleans refugees still wear the shell-shocked expression displayed by the throngs of desperate people depicted in the images flowing out of the Gulf Coast community pummelled by Katrina.

Sage is trying to be strong for her daughter. But it's not easy. The other night she woke up at 5 a.m. and just started walking down the street in a daze.

Neither she nor her husband have been able to enjoy a full night's sleep since finally arriving in Palmetto earlier this week after escaping New Orleans hours before the storm struck. Flood waters and looters have since wreaked havoc on Sage's and Conklin's home in the St. Bernard Parish and most likely the nightclubs and music dens Sage has performed at for the past 20 years.

Sage's music career started at the age of 14 when she used to crawl out her bedroom window to perform at bars in the French Quarter. By the early 1990s, her band Irene & The Mikes rose to prominence with a regular Wednesday gig at downtown's famous Checkpoint Charlie's.

"We'd play until 6 a.m., or until I just couldn't sing no more," Sage recalled.

Back then, Charlie's was a 24-hour watering hole featuring pool tables, a paperback library and a working laundromat built right into the saloon. Several scenes in the 1993 hit film "Pelican Brief" were shot there and the venue became a New Orleans icon. Since Sage was the venue's top performer at the time, two of her songs can be heard in the movie.

She's one of New Orleans' most beloved singers, regularly sitting in with Crescent City superstars such as the Funky Meters.

However, Sage is not sure if she will return.

"We just don't know," Sage said.

From an announcement made on stage, Sage and Conklin learned that a family had stepped forward to offer them a home in Ellenton free of rent for the next four months.

"It blew my mind," Sage said. "We're not used to people giving us stuff."

Conklin and Sage have always been the ones healing and entertaining others. Conklin is a general practitioner who graduated from Tulane University and practiced at Charity Hospital. Six weeks ago he realized his dream of opening a medical clinic that could treat people, especially musicians, at minimal cost. Now the facility is lost in the same flood that took their home, their city, their way of life.

"We're just happy to be safe and be surrounded by family," Sage said. "Everyone down here is just wonderful and we're looking to start playing music around here as much as possible."

Look for Irene Sage to perform at Palmetto's Smokin' Martini in the near future. To book Sage and her band call Scott Conklin at (504) 415-4959.

Wade Tatangelo, features writer/music critic, can be reached at 745-7051 or wtatangelo@

HeraldToday.com.
September 4th, 2005 05:58 PM
Jumping Jack It should be rebuilt by the private sector, not the government. The government got in on the twin towers and it still hasn't started.

If must be rebuilt properly and not rushed because of the displaced people. Fixing the levees properly is the first task. Underground tanks are double-lined, tankers are doubled lined, Amsterdam levees are triple redundant. NO was like the Titanic where one small hole was catastrophic. There need to be stronger and redundant levees designed and constructed first and foremost. Then the reconstruction can go on safely. This won't happen overnight.

Contracting:
Should every little contract be scoped out and competitively bid? That will take a very long time. Should our country's best design-build companies with the reputation and history for getting things done be put on cost plus contracts to expedite the schedule? That seems to be the obvious solution, but half the country has been having a shit fit (out of ignorance IMHO) because this is the approach used in Iraq . Rather than bitching, I would like to hear constructive alternatives to the Halliburton/Bechtel design-build cost plus approach.
September 4th, 2005 07:16 PM
time is on my side
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Yes, it must be rebuilt

Is there not anybody out there who will not at least agree with this statement beside JesusMe????
September 4th, 2005 08:23 PM
stonesmik Recognizing the musical merits of the Big Easy I recommend all people who want to rebuild New Orleans they should also go to live there. I think this could be the perfect location for another SeaWorld(R).

What about the USA finally joining the Kyoto Protocol however? How many finger tips by God will it take until His Own Country will stop wasting energy and polluting the atmosphere like no other nation?
September 5th, 2005 01:57 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
stonesmik wrote:
Recognizing the musical merits of the Big Easy I recommend all people who want to rebuild New Orleans they should also go to live there. I think this could be the perfect location for another SeaWorld(R).

What about the USA finally joining the Kyoto Protocol however? How many finger tips by God will it take until His Own Country will stop wasting energy and polluting the atmosphere like no other nation?

Dandelion?

I was just talking about you.....
September 5th, 2005 02:01 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
JesusMe wrote:
No way should it be rebuilt, it is a waste of taxpayers dollars and resources

Nature is telling us something, and that is cities shouldnt be built 10 feet below sea level

And that goes for all these other coastal areas destroyed by hurricanes, how selfish is it to rebuild it? There is plenty of spaces in the United States where you can rebuild and not worry about hurricanes..

As I said nature tells us things and we refuse to listen, these things will continue to happen until we wake up and make progress..

Not a bad point, but mankind fucks with nature all the time. We have thousands of planes cruising all over the world at any one time - all defying gravity. Someone came up with the nature-defying umbrella too. Guess we'll haqve to wait and see how much bucks it costs. I'd be willing to spend a lot.
September 5th, 2005 03:06 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Im sitting here in the uk. A long way away from the states and I dont even pretend to understand how devastating that hurricane must have been. However, the only thing I read about in the papers is the groups of guys going round raping and theiving.
Even before the hurricane hit, New Orleans had a very bad reputation. I remember a few years back, my parents wanted to go there on holiday and the travel agent strongly advised them against it and branded it an area high in criminal activity.
Now I live in London, an area which is also high in criminal activity. But I feel that before they can begin to rebuild the city, they have to stop the mobs raping and theiving.
September 5th, 2005 04:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Amid the horror, a lament for New Orleans' musical heritage
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY

Associated Press

NEW YORK — Filmmaker and New Orleans native Michael Murphy spent the last few years taking cameras through his hometown's most hallowed musical sites, paying tribute to the place where jazz was born, the blues blossomed, zydeco took root and even rap found a new voice.

But as Make It Funky hits theaters this month, Murphy worries that instead of a tribute, the film may stand as an obituary.

"What has made my heart tear apart is that I would hate to think I made a film and the city is no longer there," Murphy said.

Nashville is the Music City. Chicago is world renowned for jazz and blues. New York is one of the world's premier artistic stages. Yet no city is as critical to so many musical genres as New Orleans, where the colorful and complex mix of people, from African to French and Creole to Cajun, has created an international music mecca.

Now, as authorities struggle to determine the extent of Hurricane Katrina's damage, the music community is pondering the future of the places — and people, many of them poor — who make up the Big Easy's creative soul.

B.B. King, a fixture for decades, perhaps inadvertently used the past tense as he discussed the tragedy. "New Orleans had a sound ... that no one has completely captured," he said in a telephone interview from Detroit.

"Obviously, New Orleans, from a musical standpoint, is the melting pot when we talk about America," Wynton Marsalis, whose family of musicians is synonymous with their native city, said from his home in New York.

It's where Louis Armstrong was born and where Jelly Roll Morton became a legend. Fats Domino, who was rescued by boat this week from his flooded home, pioneered rock 'n' roll. Randy Newman may love L.A., but he's from New Orleans, as evidenced by the famous "they're trying to wash us away" flooding chorus from Louisiana 1927. Harry Connick Jr., Dr. John, Mahalia Jackson, Pete Fountain, Terence Blanchard and the Neville Brothers are just a few other talents the Big Easy has produced.

For more than a century, it's been a constant party, from Canal Street to the tiny dives only a native or true aficionado would know.

Mark Samuels, co-founder of Basin Street Records on Canal Street, home to artists such as Kermit Ruffins, Jason Marsalis and Theresa Anderson, talked about the vibrant scene — how greats will pop into a clubs not to listen, but to perform with house acts. How you might catch a musical "battle" on any given night.

"Having lived in New York City and San Francisco and Austin and Atlanta, Georgia, New Orleans is at the absolute top of those cities to me," he said, "and I hope one day it will again be."

He talked about an insider's haunt called Vaughn's Lounge. "Kermit Ruffins played there every Thursday night that he was in town for the last 11 years or so, and everyone from Wynton Marsalis to Harry Connick Jr. to Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes would come."

These are the type of performances in Murphy's documentary, which will open in New York and Los Angeles on Sept. 9 (the date was planned before the hurricane) before being released on DVD.

Murphy, who fled his New Orleans home for his Los Angeles rental before the storm hit, is worried about the fate of landmarks such as Preservation Hall, the museum and performance venue that opened its doors in 1961.

"I woke up this morning extremely emotional about an area of town called Treme. Treme is the cradle of jazz within the cradle of jazz," he said. "Treme is that hallowed ground where Louie Armstrong ... and all the greats walked and played their music. It's right outside the French Quarter."

Master P, a native who helped fuel the Southern rise in rap, wasn't only concerned about physical places: "We don't know who we lost, we might have lost a lot of great new people for the future."

And for the present.

"So many of the great musicians of New Orleans and so many people of the cultural heart of the city were poor people," said Chuck Taggart, a native who produced last year's historical CD set Doctors, Professors, Kings & Queens: The Great Big Ol' Box of New Orleans.

"How do you maintain the character of the city?" he asked. "How can you rebuild it?"

Samuels of Basin Records said most of his artists have the means to rebuild their lives. "There are a lot of people though, a lot of street performers in New Orleans ... who are going to be in absolute dire straits and don't know how to do it any other way."

But Marsalis, who is planning a Sept. 19 fund-raiser at Lincoln Center in New York, where he is artistic director of the jazz center, said the scene will survive.

"Our city is still alive. It's generations of us who are still here, and we'll get our city back together," he vowed.

"There are things that are tragic losses that will never be recovered, but I feel like the most valuable thing is the people, the spirit of the people, the will of the people, the mind and the hearts ... that's not lost. That's not even close to lost."

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)