ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Who's driving my bus?
The Bigger Bang Bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina
40x5 la Disquería/ Midnight Rambler / 40x5 Tributo bar / EMI Argentina / Modena Desing
Photo by khalil78 from BdP the message board by Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It Won't Take Long Bridges To Babylon Outtake? Return to archive
September 3rd, 2005 09:52 AM
Mack Jigger In my opinion "It Won't Take Long" has the same vibe as for example "Gunface" from Bridges To Babylon. Could it be that this track is a left over from the Bridges To Babylon Sessions?? Any comments on this. What do you think?
September 3rd, 2005 10:24 AM
exile I think its superior

I doubt its an outtake
September 3rd, 2005 02:08 PM
Soldatti It sounds as Low Down, but give me IWTL anytime!
September 4th, 2005 06:38 AM
Mack Jigger I've heard it a dozen times and it's getting better and better!
September 4th, 2005 04:10 PM
stonesmik To me it sounds like an outtake from Keith Richards "Main offender" from 1992...
September 4th, 2005 05:32 PM
Jair
quote:
exile wrote:
I think its superior

I doubt its an outtake

Agree a hundred per cent. Is too good to be an outtake.
September 4th, 2005 05:45 PM
Jumping Jack It may be the best song on the CD. So many good ones to choose from.
September 4th, 2005 10:16 PM
the good Its a great song. It kind of sounds like Skynard's "Can you Smell That Smell" to me.
September 4th, 2005 10:22 PM
glencar
quote:
stonesmik wrote:
To me it sounds like an outtake from Keith Richards "Main offender" from 1992...

I've read that it's a Mick song so that's an interesting observation.
September 4th, 2005 11:17 PM
Soldatti The riff is classic Keith, he still got it.
September 4th, 2005 11:22 PM
Steel Wheels This album is a gift from the band to all of us hard core fans.

September 5th, 2005 09:57 AM
West 8 does kind of remind me of Low Down
September 5th, 2005 10:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jair wrote:

Agree a hundred per cent. Is too good to be an outtake.

well, pretty much all of Tattoo You, about half of Exile, and countless others like "Sister morphine", "Almost hear you sigh", "Silver train" and "time waits for no one" were originally recorded for and left off albums that were released years before the songs were finally issued.

A song can be an outtake because it wasnt finished the way in which the band were happy with. It doesnt necessarily mean it was finished and then left off a record because it wasnt good enough.

"It wont take long" isnt a BTB outtake. As far as I'm aware, its a brand new song as are all of the songs on ABB with the possible exception of "Streets of love"

The only songs known to be left off BTB are :
I'm Cured
Young Love
High Or Low
Dont Apologize
Ever Changing World

All but "I'm Cured" feature Keith on lead vocals. "Ever Changing World" was scheduled to be on a Japanese version of the album as a bonus track but didnt appear.

[Edited by Gazza]
September 5th, 2005 12:35 PM
stonesmik
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've read that it's a Mick song so that's an interesting observation.

WHERE did you read that?

To me the overall sound of the song sounds like Keith ca. 1993 (I've had a listen to good ole "Main offender" lately). But I find it always interesting that sometimes a so called "Keith song" is actually written by Mick and vice versa.
September 5th, 2005 01:58 PM
Jair
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well, pretty much all of Tattoo You, about half of Exile, and countless others like "Sister morphine", "Almost hear you sigh", "Silver train" and "time waits for no one" were originally recorded for and left off albums that were released years before the songs were finally issued.

A song can be an outtake because it wasnt finished the way in which the band were happy with. It doesnt necessarily mean it was finished and then left off a record because it wasnt good enough.

[Edited by Gazza]

Yes, you quite right, Gazza. They have tons of good stuff that we call "outtakes" or left overs and, why they dont release all that stuff, as Claudine, Gangster mall, No Spare Parts, Do You think I Really Care, Misty Road and many others?
Also, who have the copyright of all those songs?

[Edited by Jair]
September 5th, 2005 05:29 PM
Gazza The Stones own the copyright of the post-1970 material

To be fair, most of those songs are interesting in so far as it'd be nice to see them on a boxed set of outtakes as some kind of historical document, but I dont think theyre better than the material they DID release at the time

"Claudine" is an exception. It WAS considered good enough for release on "Emotional Rescue" but was omitted as it was potentially libellous.
September 5th, 2005 07:32 PM
gotdablouse Very true, on "Time waits for no one" I remember reading in the IORR book released in 1997 (not Karnbach's) that it was indeed started in 1970, but then one of Karnbach's friends who used to be on the UC list (Jon "Disarranging Mime" Marko) said that this was unsubstantiated and I must admit that's the only time I ever say TWFNO being dated back to 1970. Did you see that somewhere else yourself ?
September 5th, 2005 07:44 PM
Jair
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones own the copyright of the post-1970 material

To be fair, most of those songs are interesting in so far as it'd be nice to see them on a boxed set of outtakes as some kind of historical document, but I dont think theyre better than the material they DID release at the time

I think Made in the Shade, the unnofficial, could be an official release. I'm a huge fan of that disc.
September 6th, 2005 10:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Very true, on "Time waits for no one" I remember reading in the IORR book released in 1997 (not Karnbach's) that it was indeed started in 1970, but then one of Karnbach's friends who used to be on the UC list (Jon "Disarranging Mime" Marko) said that this was unsubstantiated and I must admit that's the only time I ever say TWFNO being dated back to 1970. Did you see that somewhere else yourself ?

I read it here just a couple of days ago
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=570

It says SF sessions were 1971, which isnt technically correct as they were earlier (1969-70) , but the principle is the same I guess. Must admit it was news to me, as I assumed it was a new song written for the IORR album

A lot of Stones songs take years to evolve even before they do anything with them in the studio I would imagine

September 6th, 2005 10:52 AM
Nellcote Gazza, more on the B2B outake discussion, wasn't there a cover of a Jerry Butler tune "For Your Precious Love" which was left on the floor? I'd thought I'd read that somewhere...
September 6th, 2005 11:58 AM
Gazza they cut that one for "Steel wheels", Nellcote and it came pretty close to being included. I dont know of a BTB version
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)