ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Them shoes... 1978!
By Lynn Goldsmith
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How many records did Bridges to Babylon sell? Return to archive
07-30-01 11:04 PM
VOODOO Anybody know how many records B2B sold in the United States?
I know it sold over 4 million records worldwide but I'm not sure how many it sold in the US.

While I'm at it how many records did Voodoo Lounge and Steel Wheels sell?
07-31-01 02:49 PM
Gazza I think Voodoo Lounge sold about 5 million (very high by Stones standards) and Stripped about 3.5 million (impressive for a live album)..Not sure about Steel Wheels although I think it was less than Voodoo Lounge for sure
07-31-01 05:13 PM
rocky dijon BTB went platinum (over 1,000,000 copies sold) in the USA as did STRIPPED. VOODOO LOUNGE and STEEL WHEELS went double platinum (over 2,000,000 copies sold). FLASHPOINT went gold (over 500,000 copies sold) while NO SECURITY was a disappointment. VOODOO LOUNGE has been the biggest album of the last decade worldwide with over four million copies sold.
07-31-01 05:47 PM
Tom you wrote "while NO SECURITY was a disappointment"

However No Security is one of the best live albums, as good as Ya Ya's, probably the reasons of the low sales is the ugly cover, maybe the worst ever conceived
08-01-01 06:52 AM
Lazy Bones Bad sales because of the cover, Tom? I don't think so. I sure don't base my purchases on covers or packaging. I think it's another live album that people don't care for as much any more. They do have a few, ya know. Although I have the album, I thought the track selection could have been better. Perhaps more songs with less guests. Or some more of the rarities that were played.

And it being as good as Ya-Ya's..? Well that's interesting, but I don't think so. Not imo anyway. Ya-Ya's could be one of the best live albums ever released by anyone. Don't think that No Security socializes in that crowd. Certainly in the Stones' top 3, though.
08-02-01 01:06 AM
elegantly-wasted If you would like the answer to your question, I have the actual current figure for the States. "Bridges" went platinum with sales over 1 million units. To doubters who do not want to accept this information (no one here would believe the information that I posted here on this bulletin board last month, wherein I stated that Mick's solo album would be released by Virgin Records in November (depsite an article posted in here in which Mick had errantly stated that it would be released in October), I'm not talking what was "shipped" as far as "Bridges." Soundscan figures are based on actual cash register sales. The actual Soundscan figure currently is close to 1,144,000.
08-02-01 01:21 AM
elegantly-wasted Speaking of "Get Your Ya Ya's Out," if you were curious about how it's still doing these days, that particular album has sold an additional 230,000 copies in the last decade. "Exile" has sold another 500,000 copies in the last decade."Hot Rocks" has sold another 2 million copies in the last decade.
08-02-01 03:43 PM
rocky dijon Okay, okay--you have an impeccable source! How did you know the album was going to Virgin before a contract was signed and where did you get the SoundScan figures?
08-02-01 03:53 PM
Gazza >no one here would believe the information that I posted here on this bulletin board last month, wherein I stated that Mick's solo album would be released by Virgin Records in November (depsite an article posted in here in which Mick had errantly stated that it would be released in October),

Well..hardly cause for losing sleep over,lets face it..

Excuse me for merely reposting words direct from Mick's very own mouth - "around late October" or November - hardly cause for being pedantic almost 4 months in advance of the actual release...album release dates get shifted around quite a lot - even Mick didnt know,it seems..

..and I didnt state it WOULDNT be issued on Virgin either. Simply because I didnt know....I merely said his last album had been on Atlantic,and it would be surprising if he only did one album with them and that the Stones solo deals were separate from their contracts with the band....Virgin only confirmed Mick's deal with them a few days ago anyway
08-05-01 10:14 PM
elegantly-wasted Why are peopleso defensive here? Although the press hadn't reported the Virgin signing with Mick yet, I already knew about it for quite some time, so I posted the information since I had it. Isn't that what this board is about? When I referred to the October date that had been given, I was referring to what Mick had errantly told the press. It was not an attack on you for posting information from those incorrect articles. I was just posting the correct information on the album. Why are people so defensive here? I was just giving you the information, since I already had it, and I thought that was point of this bulletin board, so I posted it.Lighten up,alright?
08-05-01 10:20 PM
elegantly-wasted Rocky, thanks for the compliment. In answer to your question, I don't have a great source, rather, I think AM one! I can't answer how I got the information, because I would like to contribute to your bulletin boards without giving away my identity. You have a great thing going here, with Wet Page, and I wanted to help support it, here and there. By the way, Mick's signing with Virgin only being announced last week does not mean that it didn't happen quite a while back!
Lighten up out there!!!
08-06-01 03:46 PM
Gazza >Why are peopleso defensive here? Although the press hadn't reported the Virgin signing with Mick yet, I already knew about it for quite some time, so I posted the information since I had it. Isn't that what this board is about? When I referred to the October date that had been given, I was referring to what Mick had errantly told the press. It was not an attack on you for posting information from those incorrect articles. I was just posting the correct information on the album. Why are people so defensive here? I was just giving you the information, since I already had it, and I thought that was point of this bulletin board, so I posted it.Lighten up,alright?

Settle down,Beavis...no-ones gettin defensive...your posts and info are as welcome as anyone elses is and despite what some paranoid psychotic flamer/spammer bitch may have posted here to the contrary a couple of days ago we DO welcome discussions and corrections to any information that was posted before which may not be 100% accurate - I have better things to do with my life than have my poor ego bruised because someone has better connections/info..if you have,good for you - your input is very welcome....the whole point of this board,as you suggest,is to provide up to date and accurate info on the band for fellow fans and to have a bit of fun too. Hopefully,thats clear enough!

You seem to have taken a discussion or an expression or surprise at the info you originally posted as some kind of personal attack on your credibility which if you read the original thread wasnt the case. You said "no-one would believe" the info you posted,which certainly wasnt the case at all - all I pointed out was that I was surprised if Mick's album would be on Virgin as he had only done 1 album for his previous label and pointed out that the Stones have separate contracts for their band activities than their solo work (for the benefit of people who dont know that,as I'm sure some think both are combined - after all,Keith was on Virgin 4 years before the Stones were..)

Keep the info coming - if its Stones related,its welcome/....

as Dylan says "you shouldnt take it so..personal..."

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.