ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: (NSC) The Dickies Live At Safari Sam's 9/1/06 Return to archive
2nd September 2006 01:45 PM
Dan I got there a little earlier than I intended but it was all for the better. The first band took the stage in suits, bicycle helmets and backpacks and announced "Ladies And Gentlemen We're The Mormoms." I don't think I was done laughing til after the first song but the music was good enough without the gimmick. Well unless they really are Mormons. I don't think they were any older than 20.

Smut Peddlers were next. They were good for the first few songs but my unprotected ears needed a break so I went out to the smoking patio for the rest of the set.

Show was all ages so there were LOTS of punker kids in the crowd. They probably outnumbered adults. Good crowd, sometimes I will see 21 & over Dickies shows with 50 people in the crowd but the place was pretty packed tonight. Not too packed to get some nice pit action going all night.

Safari Sams is a great new club in East Hollywood. Free parking, cheap admission, all ages, beer served in bottles or glasses. Unfortunately for me, slam pits and glass don't mix. Have the scar to prove it.

The Dickies are one of the longest running punk bands at 29 years and the first signed to a major label in Los Angeles. Its been almost the same show for thirty years but after an almost three year break from seeing them, the set was fresher than ever and featured three songs I had never seen them do before. Probably the best Dickies show I have seen in about 8 years.

They kicked off with their unique cover of "Nights In White Satin" and "I'm Okay You're Okay" which have been the opening songs as long as I can remember, followed by a cover of The Kinks "See My Way."

As usual, there were a lot of covers but they always sound like Dickies songs just the same. Long time guitarist Dave Teague was gone, apparently he is now Fear Factory's guitar tech. Didn't catch the name of his successor. Travis Johnson was still on drums, and "Tiny" on bass and original guitarist Stan Lee.

It was lead singer Leonard Phillip Graves 50th birthday and he was in as good of a mood as I have ever seen him at a gig.

He asked "How many chicanos in the house" before donning a blue bandana. He introduced the rarely played "I'm A Cholo" with "this one's for la raza, this one is about la raza " and beat a phallic pinata throughout the song. Leonard made Stan apologize for being a racist prior to "Shadow Man."

The usual stage props were used. Leonard danced with a blow up doll during "Waterslide," wore the ape mask during "You Drive Me Ape" and of course the penis puppet during "If Stuart Could Talk."

The last surprise was during the encore when they revived the long buried theme song from "Killer Klowns From Outer Space." I had a great time last night, I wont wait another 3 years before seeing The Dickies again.

setlist:

Nights In White Satin
I'm Okay You're Okay
See My Way
Got It At The Store
I'm Leonard
Give It Back
Paranoid
Waterslide
Manny Moe And Jack
Shadow Man
My Pop The Cop
You Drive Me Ape
Poodle Party
I'm A Cholo
If Stuart Could Talk
Gigantor
-----
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Banana Splits

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)