ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MTV /VMA humiliation Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st September 2006 02:26 PM
jb I have not watched MTV/VH1 since 1994. I went into my sons room last night, and he had the VMA's on. I watched about 45 minutes. I now understand why rock music, and bands like the Stones, are commercially dead.
[Edited by jb]
1st September 2006 02:28 PM
gimmekeef jb....yes..its over...However your son could have been watching much worse....see U2/B
1st September 2006 02:34 PM
Black and Blue I can't even understand why ANYONE would like those bands
1st September 2006 02:39 PM
Saint Sway rock aint dead.

theres tons of cool bands

but dont look for em on MTV
1st September 2006 02:40 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

theres tons of cool bands

but dont look for em on MTV

I meant only MTV. The Bands on MTV are god-awful. But there is new music I like outside of that.
1st September 2006 02:41 PM
FotiniD MTV has indeed deteriorated incredibly this past decade - and so has its criteria when it comes to promoting certain music.
1st September 2006 02:44 PM
jb In the words of Lil' Kim last night, "you can't keep a good bitch down".
1st September 2006 02:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Black and Blue wrote:

I meant only MTV. The Bands on MTV are god-awful. But there is new music I like outside of that.

agreed

and I'm glad the bands I like arent on MTV

you can take the coolest band out there right now and stick their video on MTV and they'd instantly be lame by association
1st September 2006 03:14 PM
gustavobala i watched bout 2 minutes.....no way, man
1st September 2006 03:18 PM
Black and Blue According to my local news, the god-awfulness of MTV revealed as "BEST" video of the year....

[Edited by Black and Blue]
1st September 2006 04:02 PM
mrhipfl I was watching the beginning of it, and to my surprise I saw Lou Reed playing with the Raconteurs(a crappy pop rock band.)LOU REED!!! WHAT THE FUCK IS LOU REED DOING PLAYING ON THE VMAS???No one even knew who he was.
1st September 2006 04:05 PM
jb
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I was watching the beginning of it, and to my surprise I saw Lou Reed playing with the Raconteurs(a crappy pop rock band.)LOU REED!!! WHAT THE FUCK IS LOU REED DOING PLAYING ON THE VMAS???No one even knew who he was.

yes..I saw that too...Lou's hair looked suspect.
1st September 2006 04:51 PM
Honky Tonk Man I don't think MTV is all that bad. Remember, it's more than one station and they are catering for more than one kind of fan. The regular MTV of course doesn’t play much music and MTV Hits is well, just the hits of the moment and Bass is good if you like RnB. I watch MTV 2 quite a bit because its rock 'n' roll music. It's not all bad!
1st September 2006 05:52 PM
pdog
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
and to my surprise I saw Lou Reed playing with the Raconteurs(a crappy pop rock band.)

If you think The Racs are crappy or poppy, I seriously question what you would call rock and roll. 1 out of about ever 100 bands who sels alot of albums, is also good or ever really good IMO. Most popular music SUCKS, I agree. Ask yourself this, do you dislike the new bands or did you just give up on discovering new music and stick to what you know you like. There's a difference, and there's nothing really wrong with either, but, you do lose the right to criticize if you aren't going in open minded!

FYI... MTV always sucked, saying it's declined over the years is like saying the smell of shit is getting worse!
1st September 2006 07:10 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
pdog wrote:

If you think The Racs are crappy or poppy, I seriously question what you would call rock and roll. 1 out of about ever 100 bands who sels alot of albums, is also good or ever really good IMO. Most popular music SUCKS, I agree. Ask yourself this, do you dislike the new bands or did you just give up on discovering new music and stick to what you know you like. There's a difference, and there's nothing really wrong with either, but, you do lose the right to criticize if you aren't going in open minded!

FYI... MTV always sucked, saying it's declined over the years is like saying the smell of shit is getting worse!

I listen to a lot of new rock 'n roll music, true rock. But, The Raconteurs, imo of course, are really no good. I heard their single "steady as she goes" and I bought the album because of it and was dissappointed. The lead guitar tone is uninteresting and thin and they're just using lo-fi technology to give it an edge. new rock bands I listen to and would strongly reccommend are
American Minor
hurricane party
los lonely boys
monster magnet
s'cool girls
Silvertide
supagroup
the black keys
the bottle rockets
the muggs
the novaks
the redwalls
the sights
the stills
the thieves
thee shams
wolfmother
These bands are rock n' roll in every sense of the word, and I have seen none of them on MTV. There are great rock bands out there, for sure, but they will not be found on MTV at this point.
1st September 2006 07:20 PM
charlotte That's why I listen to only satellite radio!

tons of excellent variety!
1st September 2006 07:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot Gee, thatsa nice lil' list there.

'Cept that hardly any of those bands are "new". Most of 'em have been around for a while now.
1st September 2006 07:33 PM
lotsajizz Jack White is the most over-rated guitarist of the last decade.

1st September 2006 07:34 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Gee, thatsa nice lil' list there.

'Cept that hardly any of those bands are "new". Most of 'em have been around for a while now.

He's got The Novaks on his list!
Is a band old after they have made thier 2nd record? I say yes!
[Edited by pdog]
Unless the 2nd album is released in under 12 months!!!
[Edited by pdog]
1st September 2006 07:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot No way Pdog. Some bands are together for 5 years or more before they put an album out. You can't say that a band is "new" if they have been gigging for 5 years!

Look at The Sights. They've been around since the late 90's. They came out of the same Detroit scene that the Stripeys did. I'm thinking off the top of my head here, but they have at least 3 full lengths that I can think of. Dude, The Black Keys just released album number FIVE. And Monster Magnet? Man they were releasing stuff in the mid 90's!

I mean the Novaks only have one album out...but they have been gigging since 2002. It ain't right to say that they are new. The Novaks...man I love that "Goodbye Rock n Roll Band" song. That whole album is the shit.

You know, I can see why some people may not like Jack White. I'm not one of those people thankfully. Personally, I think the guy is genius. And I think The Raconteurs album is genius. I can't get that "Hands" song outta my head...
1st September 2006 07:50 PM
Spru
quote:
Black and Blue wrote:
I can't even understand why ANYONE would like those bands

ditto
1st September 2006 08:39 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
No way Pdog. Some bands are together for 5 years or more before they put an album out. You can't say that a band is "new" if they have been gigging for 5 years!

Look at The Sights. They've been around since the late 90's. They came out of the same Detroit scene that the Stripeys did. I'm thinking off the top of my head here, but they have at least 3 full lengths that I can think of. Dude, The Black Keys just released album number FIVE. And Monster Magnet? Man they were releasing stuff in the mid 90's!

I mean the Novaks only have one album out...but they have been gigging since 2002. It ain't right to say that they are new. The Novaks...man I love that "Goodbye Rock n Roll Band" song. That whole album is the shit.

You know, I can see why some people may not like Jack White. I'm not one of those people thankfully. Personally, I think the guy is genius. And I think The Raconteurs album is genius. I can't get that "Hands" song outta my head...

Good point, I was thinking strictly of albums and not actual band life... It was off the top of my damaged head...
I do love The Novaks... There's been so many bands you've hipped me about, that I'm really glad I was able to mention something that you checked out and liked.
I too think Jack is a genius. The Rac show I saw last month was the best show I've seen this year... Have you seen them yet?
I like monster Magnet alot. I remeber listening to Tab 25 and feeling like I was tripping. The line where Dave is screaming about "Bitch make me a sandwhich" or something like that kills me.
They were pretty cool live, but dissapointing to meet. They were very normal and shy, and I thought they were going to be all strung out and really smart. They were on tour, so I didn't put too much into it... Did you get your package this week? If not yet, I guess it will be Monday...
1st September 2006 08:41 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

yes..I saw that too...Lou's hair looked suspect.

He's bald, it's a wig! Been wearing it for a pretty long time...
2nd September 2006 08:04 AM
corgi37 The MTV awards from fornight are on heavy rotation, and i was watching them and flicking back and forth to them to try to catch Gnarls Barkly doing "Crazy" in Star Wars gear.

But, it went for fucking hours! I literally couldnt understand half the people. I just dont get the whole hip/hop, rap, cronk, crunk etc scene.

On the red carpet, Pharrel was being interviewed. He had some little toy boy with him. Fuck me, i could not understand 1 word they said. But, it wasnt music. It was their "bling".

I saw 50cent & LLcoolJ present an award, and i needed sub-titles! And, LL is like 50 and my head hurts.

But, yeah, there is such a noticeable division in the U.S. music scene. Whitey's listen to the rap stuff, and funnily of all, even talk like them. But no black people dig any of the grunge, indy, pseudo-punk, teen angst stuff. Its all spotty, lame ass whiteys.

And, i was thinking today. Were there any black punk bands? I've always subscribed to my very own theory that the difference between U.S. & U.K. punk is this.

U.K. punk, and maybe German/French too, was built on depression, "no future", class, poverty etc.

While U.S. "punk", though i dont consider they actually had punk (whine all you like, i just dont) was based more on isolation, alienation, and the supposed fear of technological advances making people obsolete.

But, today, the divide is amazing. We are listening to them, but they aint listening to us.

And as JB so succintly said. He can see why the Stones are just absolutely nothing to anybody anymore. Anyone "current" that is.

They really are just a irrelevant nostalgia act. Hey, its cool. For all the trumpets and roses, so is Macca, Bob Dylan & Neil Young. For all the racket old Shakey caused, his cd still sold jack shit.
2nd September 2006 02:10 PM
IanBillen [quote]lotsajizz wrote:
Jack White is the most over-rated guitarist of the last decade.

Not True. The dudes got a GREAT explosive, authentic raw sound.

His song writing real good as well.

Ian
2nd September 2006 02:31 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:

At least they played rock & roll videos (albeit bad rock & roll videos) for the first 15 years or so. But it's true - as the old saying goes, "You can't shine shit!"

2nd September 2006 02:41 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
The MTV awards from fornight are on heavy rotation, and i was watching them and flicking back and forth to them to try to catch Gnarls Barkly doing "Crazy" in Star Wars gear.

But, it went for fucking hours! I literally couldnt understand half the people. I just dont get the whole hip/hop, rap, cronk, crunk etc scene.

On the red carpet, Pharrel was being interviewed. He had some little toy boy with him. Fuck me, i could not understand 1 word they said. But, it wasnt music. It was their "bling".

I saw 50cent & LLcoolJ present an award, and i needed sub-titles! And, LL is like 50 and my head hurts.

But, yeah, there is such a noticeable division in the U.S. music scene. Whitey's listen to the rap stuff, and funnily of all, even talk like them. But no black people dig any of the grunge, indy, pseudo-punk, teen angst stuff. Its all spotty, lame ass whiteys.

And, i was thinking today. Were there any black punk bands? I've always subscribed to my very own theory that the difference between U.S. & U.K. punk is this.

U.K. punk, and maybe German/French too, was built on depression, "no future", class, poverty etc.

While U.S. "punk", though i dont consider they actually had punk (whine all you like, i just dont) was based more on isolation, alienation, and the supposed fear of technological advances making people obsolete.

But, today, the divide is amazing. We are listening to them, but they aint listening to us.

And as JB so succintly said. He can see why the Stones are just absolutely nothing to anybody anymore. Anyone "current" that is.

They really are just a irrelevant nostalgia act. Hey, its cool. For all the trumpets and roses, so is Macca, Bob Dylan & Neil Young. For all the racket old Shakey caused, his cd still sold jack shit.

The Bad Brains were the only black punk band I can think of offhand. There were others, but they never made it as big. Too bad, because that could have been interesting. Your take on all this is, as usual, pretty spot-on, Corgi. It's a sad state of affairs alright.

2nd September 2006 02:44 PM
Soldatti The VMA's sucked in the last 5-10 years and the ratings for the last show were the worst in the last 15 years.
2nd September 2006 04:16 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The VMA's sucked in the last 5-10 years and the ratings for the last show were the worst in the last 15 years.

Exactly - the decline of MTV walks hand-in-hand with the dominence of the whole rap/hip-hop genre during that same time span - only commercialized Grunge managed to spar with Rap for a spell...

MTV does reflect modern commercial music quite well though, and vise-versa. The music industry as a whole is in a bad way. Promoters have been leaning heavily on the oldies acts for the last 20 years, but those acts are on the way out (including our dear Stones)even as live acts, leaving a huge void in the live concert scene. Rap/Hip-Hop acts simply don't attract the kind of concert dollars that the established rock acts do. (In fact, it's not even close - though some of the hip-hop guys do pretty well in the short term marketing clothing and the like to their audiences, but the shelf-life on that is a few years max - See: Diddy. Word is his "empire" is terribly over-extended and on the verge of collapse)

The good news is, hip-hop is, and has been, on the way out for the last couple of years, thus the upsurge in the white commercial "garage-band" thing that has taken off during that same time - similar to the late 70's early 80's era. Some of these bands are pretty good, though none have shown me yet to have the long-life industry legs of say a Pearl Jam, who I rate quite high and hope to continue seeing for another decade or so. Pearl Jam and Dave Mathews enjoy strong record sales as well as excellent tour revenues, so they represent the present and future cash cows for the promotion industry - though they alone won't be enough to sustain the industry as a whole.

I was given an album recently from a Dublin band called the Prescriptions - - GREAT MUSIC!!!!! Been playing it 24/7 since then. I agree with those who say there is still very good music out there, you just gotta look for it.
2nd September 2006 04:41 PM
BONOISLOVE You people know nothing. (But I still love you.)
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)