ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I prefer Love & Theft to Modern Times (ns) Return to archive
1st September 2006 09:55 AM
Factory Girl I find LT to be more engaging and uplifting than MT.

And yous?
1st September 2006 10:10 AM
Gazza Give it time....

L&T is funnier, if thats what you mean by uplifting. I think I like the new one slightly better, however.

However, you should post this in the 'Modern times' thread as Joshy has threatened to ban himself for a day if it reaches 500 posts, and the thread still needs some 'legs'!
[Edited by Gazza]
1st September 2006 10:24 AM
Factory Girl jb & Bob are Brothers of the Blood.
1st September 2006 11:13 AM
mojoman i prefer time out of mind
1st September 2006 11:45 AM
Saint Sway this is an excellent thread

I prefer L&T too. MT, TOOM and MT are all excellent records. But very different records IMO. I dont understand why people refer to them as a trilogy??? TOOM is moody, dark, brilliant. L&T is - like Gazza said - a fun record. MT is somewhere in the middle. To me, its a throwback record. You got the old standards and all... but the vibe is classic Dylan. More narrative.. him judging the world as it is now.
1st September 2006 12:20 PM
pdog
quote:
mojoman wrote:
i prefer time out of mind

Me too... BUT!!! all three are fine albums, too bad The Stones aren't writing good music from their souls and not being shitheads looking for a hit.
1st September 2006 12:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

Me too... BUT!!! all three are fine albums, too bad The Stones aren't writing good music from their souls and not being shitheads looking for a hit.

THANK YOU! You just concisely nailed everything I want to say about the Stones in '06
1st September 2006 12:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot I dunno, I think MT sounds a lot like L&T Pt II.

But I do agree that TOOM doesn't fit into this "trilogy" talk.

So if there is to be a trilogy, it'll be the next one that finishes it.
1st September 2006 12:51 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
THANK YOU! You just concisely nailed everything Lester Bangs said about the Stones in '73

1st September 2006 06:19 PM
Jair
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I find LT to be more engaging and uplifting than MT.

And yous?

Thank you for the reference. Now I am sure that I won't buy Modern Times. And, come on, what a fucked title.

JP Sartre had a magazine or a newspaper, whatever, with this very same name 400 yrs ago.
1st September 2006 07:04 PM
mojoman modern times has got swing, blues, shuffle, skiffle but it aint got that je ne sais quoi of time out of mind. it seems more a collection of songs, moody but with no mood histrionic not historic. still its a great disc which i will cherish for years
1st September 2006 07:37 PM
lotsajizz The new album is a step down from his previous two, very good--yes, but NOT great...it simply does not rock as hard or as often

1st September 2006 09:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I dunno, I think MT sounds a lot like L&T Pt II.

But I do agree that TOOM doesn't fit into this "trilogy" talk.

So if there is to be a trilogy, it'll be the next one that finishes it.

thats pretty much what Dylan says. He doesnt consider TOOM in the same way as the othesr as he had an outside producer who hired musicians to play with him and somehow they made a record out of it - whereas hes produced the last two himself, and used his own touring band.
2nd September 2006 05:34 AM
F505 I prefer Love and Theft although there is little difference in quality between LAT and MT. My favorite track on LAT is High Water a classic song that hasn't been surpassed by any song on Modern Times. One of the best Dylan songs ever.
Favorites on MT: Workman's Blues #2, The Levee's gonna break, Ain't talking and Thunder on the Mountain.
2nd September 2006 12:14 PM
Nasty Habits I am consistently amazed that you guys know after a week what you think about an album and boom, there it is. Must be a whole lot more together than me. I mean, shall I prefer Absalom, Absalom! to Light in August? Or, more apropos, BLonde on Blonde to John Wesley Harding? I shall not!

As of right now, I have no idea which I prefer, but I do know that it's all good. I think that Modern Times is way less accessible than Love and Theft and less obvious in its conceptual unity than Time Out of Mind, for whatever that's worth.

And as far as this whole trilogy (or as they call it at the flea market, tri-ology) speak, I mean, you know that that was some publicist's idea at Columbia that was sent out to all the press in their advance packets, and then all across the telegraph that concept did resound, right? I mean, it has NOTHING to do with how anyone really experiences the music.

But if you want to look at it as a trilogy, it's probably that the thematic obsessions of Time Out of Mind and the old time song structures of Love and Theft shack up with a particularly sexy and obviously female deity in a weird love triangle. And not only that, but the dude at the end of this album, on Ain't Talkin', is still walkin' through the dead streets, same as he was on Lovesick at the outset of Time Out of Mind.

What's really distressing is that he gets to the end of the world and all he finds is an Outback.

Now that's modern times.

2nd September 2006 12:42 PM
MrPleasant So, I'm sitting home, drinkin' thinkin', then, all of a sudden: WHO KNEW? It was Keith Richards sitting right next to me, this sunday morning!

He said to me: "listen son, fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

First, I said, I'm NOT your fucking son; next: I'm looking for a blond bombshell with big NATURAL tits, and your daughters have funny mouths instead; finally: I'm not that fat. Plus: after I graduate, I'm gonna get drunk every night. Also, I despise Love & Theft: it sounds stupid.

Thanks.
2nd September 2006 02:57 PM
Soldatti Love & Theft is the best of the trilogy IMO.
L&T - 10
TOOM - 9
MT - 8
2nd September 2006 03:08 PM
GotToRollMe I've only listened to the new album a couple of times, so this is only a preliminary opinion. BUT, I think I prefer "Time Out Of Mind" as well.

The problem that I have with "Modern Times" is that several of the melodies are basically the same as the songs on the last two albums. The lyrics are, of course, outstanding. Dylan is a word man, and the very best. But the exciting, inventive melodies of "Desire" and even "Blood On The Tracks" are long gone. There's a sameness to the music.

I just happened to hear "One More Cup Of Coffee" yesterday. What a song! If he could come up with a melody like that again, it would do justice to his wonderful lyrics.

I realize that it's early in the game and the album will grow on me, but that's really the first thing I noticed about the new one. It diminishes the songs for me, rather than enhancing them.
2nd September 2006 04:22 PM
lotsajizz it ain't complicated ladies and gentlemen---'Modern Times' may be a lyrical masterpiece, but it quite simply and very obviously does NOT rock as much as its two predecessors
2nd September 2006 04:37 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
it ain't complicated ladies and gentlemen---'Modern Times' may be a lyrical masterpiece, but it quite simply and very obviously does NOT rock as much as its two predecessors

Good Afternoon Jizzy ....................

I have a TERRIBLE Hangover ... and you ?!?!

Joey

2nd September 2006 06:08 PM
Factory Girl MT does does not grab & smack me around like LT or TOOM.

MT is a great, but it doesn't kick butt like LT.

MT is deep, but it lacks the deep philosophical get up & go of TOOM.

My favorite album of 2006 is Babyshambles "Down in Albion".

MT is a better album than "Down in Albion", but I just hang on better to "Down in Albion".

That is FG's analysis after 7 beers!
2nd September 2006 06:27 PM
Gazza try another couple!
2nd September 2006 06:36 PM
Egbert VL, B2B & ABB: trilogy? Discuss.
2nd September 2006 06:45 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Joey wrote:

Good Afternoon Jizzy ....................

I have a TERRIBLE Hangover ... and you ?!?!

Joey

Hey Joey!!

No, I slept ten hours after last night's five cognacs, so I am feeeelin' fine!!

And I shit well.

Cognac helps you stay regular my friend!
2nd September 2006 07:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
Egbert wrote:
VL, B2B & ABB: trilogy? Discuss.

The Don Was trilogy!

fair point, although ABB is a closer cousin to Voodoo Lounge than BTB which if anything is like a collection of 3 or 4 EP's
2nd September 2006 08:06 PM
Egbert
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Don Was trilogy!

fair point, although ABB is a closer cousin to Voodoo Lounge than BTB which if anything is like a collection of 3 or 4 EP's

Could be the Darrell Jones Trilogy as well (or the Ugly Covers Trilogy but the same could be said of UC-DW-SW), but it is the production on these three certainly sets them apart from the rest of their catalogue. And they all have about 3-5 too many songs.

B2B was the first one I heard (other than Love Is Strong on the radio) and the modern, clean production (particularly Micks voice on Always Suffering) and the techno sheen kind of turned me off. Over time I've grown to like it and rank it ahead of the other two overall but you're right about it seeming disjointed and not flowing together. The rap in ASMB to me is unnecessary and so is the sax rave up to end HCIS (even though I'm a big Wayne Shorter fan). And some of the FTS lyrics suck. But OOC and SOM have to be two of the better tunes (if not the best) they've come up with post-Steel Wheels.

I agree that VL and ABB are similar. ABB is certainly more energetic but I like the production on VL better - ABB seems a bit too jacked up at times while VL has good definition and separation of the instruments.

[Edited by Egbert]
2nd September 2006 09:28 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Hey Joey!!

No, I slept ten hours after last night's five cognacs, so I am feeeelin' fine!!

And I shit well.

Cognac helps you stay regular my friend!

i gotta quit the stoli and start the cognac again. fuck thats expensive.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)