ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Songs Resound the Same Return to archive
31st August 2006 02:55 PM
Poplar When the Stones played MSG live on the Licks tour, I was mid-move. So I had my dear old mom roll a tape on it for me. When giving me the tape, she remarked that "all of the songs sounded the same." As times goes by, I keep harkening back to that statement.

The problem: the tempos often run together, and the horns/guitar/rhythm section seem to get muddy - especially on some songs in particular. Check out the "She's So Cold" efforts on this tour. A mess. It's just a stampede through a song that's supposed to be about finesse (see "She's So Cold" form Shattered in Europe). Some other tunes seem to suffer for this as well. Skip around on a bootleg from the Bang tour and at some points, the songs are almost indistinguishable from one another. I think the band needs to back off a bit, and put some style points on their tunes, in stead of trying to romp through them, one after the other.

Just a thought.
31st August 2006 02:57 PM
jb 100% correct....absolutely indistinguisable other than the lyrics..Keith, Ronnie play the same tempo on every tune and the horns are constantly there
31st August 2006 02:58 PM
Some Guy good ear.
31st August 2006 03:02 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
good ear.

dudes getting old
31st August 2006 03:03 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:

dudes getting old

you da man!
31st August 2006 03:11 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

you da man!

Tiny Nate Archibald had game!!!!
31st August 2006 03:19 PM
Some Guy Falcons look solid.
31st August 2006 03:20 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Falcons look solid.

Thank (a) God
31st August 2006 03:27 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Falcons look solid.

farve sticking around to break Marino's all time TD record-needs only 25. The guy had a great 5 year run, but is washed up. He will break the record b/c to his credit , he is the most durable QB of all time..liuke 220 straight games...but no one will ever throw like Marino-a man among boys.
31st August 2006 03:35 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
jb wrote:
100% correct....absolutely indistinguisable other than the lyrics..Keith, Ronnie play the same tempo on every tune and the horns are constantly there

Charlie is the one in charge of the tempo. The whole band has to follow Charlie's lead as he's the only one able to control the tempo.
31st August 2006 05:00 PM
mmdog
quote:
Poplar wrote:
When the Stones played MSG live on the Licks tour, I was mid-move. So I had my dear old mom roll a tape on it for me. When giving me the tape, she remarked that "all of the songs sounded the same." As times goes by, I keep harkening back to that statement.

The problem: the tempos often run together, and the horns/guitar/rhythm section seem to get muddy - especially on some songs in particular. Check out the "She's So Cold" efforts on this tour. A mess. It's just a stampede through a song that's supposed to be about finesse (see "She's So Cold" form Shattered in Europe). Some other tunes seem to suffer for this as well. Skip around on a bootleg from the Bang tour and at some points, the songs are almost indistinguishable from one another. I think the band needs to back off a bit, and put some style points on their tunes, in stead of trying to romp through them, one after the other.

Just a thought.

Poplar,

It might be a good thought. Sometimes the horns sound the same to me, when they come on at the end of songs like Tumblin Dice, Brown Sugar and Satisfaction. ( Which is why, I love the Live Licks version of Satisfaction, they wiped the horns) However I think She's So Cold, is the wrong song for your argument. I think it's one of the most consistent asskickers of this tour. I've heard a few versions of it ( plus twice live), and I have not been dissapointed. Listen to the Mick's Monitor Mix from Tokyo, and tell me otherwise. Fantastic. Honestly I like the 05/06 versions better than 81/82.
[Edited by mmdog]
31st August 2006 05:02 PM
speedfreakjive great observation!
31st August 2006 05:36 PM
Poplar
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Maybe SSC was a bad example, but I heard the Twick II last night and all i could think was "play it right, or leave it alone." I'll look for Tokyo.

Obviously, the repetative nature of the Dice/Sugar finales are similar with the horns and all ... but to me, it's the tempo. even a Ruby Tuesday starts to blend with a Dead Flowers... etc... i'll leave the examples up to y'all.

still - can't wit for Vegas (and maybe Oakland).

-------------

As for the football hijacking, suddenly my Panthers are sliding down the odds board. Our O line looks pitiful, which is bad, considering i have a wager with Some Guy, and possibly SirMoonie.
31st August 2006 05:38 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Maybe SSC was a bad example, but I heard the Twick II last night and all i could think was "play it right, or leave it alone." I'll look for Tokyo.

Obviously, the repetative nature of the Dice/Sugar finales are similar with the horns and all ... but to me, it's the tempo. even a Ruby Tuesday starts to blend with a Dead Flowers... etc... i'll leave the examples up to y'all.

still - can't wit for Vegas (and maybe Oakland).

-------------

As for the football hijacking, suddenly my Panthers are sliding down the odds board. Our O line looks pitiful, which is bad, considering i have a wager with Some Guy, and possibly SirMoonie.

i agree with what ur saying, but surely you like the horn bit at the end (not to get too technical!) of the verse Pt 1 of TD, when the horns ascend as the next bar comes in?!!
31st August 2006 05:40 PM
glencar The Twick II version of SSC was done poorly. I commented elsewhere that on YCAGWYW, Mick's singing was rushed. The song's a ballad & he made it sound like one of the fast numbers. I would say that Bitch, Live With Me & some of the others were well done.
31st August 2006 05:43 PM
Poplar
oooh!!! Bitch, another one where the nuance of the song can get lost... not always - but sometimes.

best part of Dice: Keith's outro lick.. he could play that for 30 (more) minutes and i'd still dig it.
31st August 2006 05:44 PM
glencar I agree about Bitch usually not being all that great these days but it was pretty good last week.
1st September 2006 12:10 AM
Poplar After some more thought (and two beers):
I think the reason I always liked You Got Me Rocking was becasue it fits this "style" we're talking about. Driving and plodding. YGMR allows for a little swing to it. Songs that require great finese are killed by it.

Others that fit the modern style:
If You Can't Rock Me
JJF & BS
Paint It Black
Rough Justice
[Edited by Poplar]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)