ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan-Stones: 3-0 Return to archive Page: 1 2
31st August 2006 11:08 AM
gimmekeef Dylan isnt rock& roll(imho) so how do you compare really?...The fact he's American also gets him reviews in the USA above what he might get say if he were Canadian or British...The fact he's making great music that fans love this late in his career I think is amazing in of itself.Certainly though in years from now his legacy will be enhanced by these works.The Stones will be viewed as the Greatest Live Touring Extravangaza whose musical output peaked in early 70's. A peak of immense height but creatively to be remembered for 4-5 years of condensed work out of a 45+ year career is sad in a way.........
31st August 2006 11:22 AM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Dylan isnt rock& roll(imho) so how do you compare really?...The fact he's American also gets him reviews in the USA above what he might get say if he were Canadian or British...The fact he's making great music that fans love this late in his career I think is amazing in of itself.Certainly though in years from now his legacy will be enhanced by these works.The Stones will be viewed as the Greatest Live Touring Extravangaza whose musical output peaked in early 70's. A peak of immense height but creatively to be remembered for 4-5 years of condensed work out of a 45+ year career is sad in a way.........

Is he currently Jewish or "Born Again"?
31st August 2006 11:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Dylan isnt rock& roll(imho) so how do you compare really?...

The fact he's American also gets him reviews in the USA above what he might get say if he were Canadian or British...

His new album sounds pretty definitive rock n roll to me. I'd also argue that backing him he has quite possibly the best rock n roll band in music at the minute

as for the reviews, theyve been universal in their praise on this side of the Atlantic too. Do the press in America really fawn over home-grown greatness rather than when its imported? That doesnt seem to fit with the stereotype some like to peddle that the Stones get more appreciation in the US compared to anywhere else.

I just think there are some artists who, due to their longevity and status in the music business, transcend any of that degree of regional favouritism or bias. Dylan and the Stones are two of them.

quote:
The fact he's making great music that fans love this late in his career I think is amazing in of itself.Certainly though in years from now his legacy will be enhanced by these works.The Stones will be viewed as the Greatest Live Touring Extravangaza whose musical output peaked in early 70's. A peak of immense height but creatively to be remembered for 4-5 years of condensed work out of a 45+ year career is sad in a way.........

In fairness, I'd say that its about a decade's worth - ie up to about 1972. The era with Brian is still regarded as a golden era in terms of music and 'hipness'.

You're basically right, though - although I think the Stones' post-1972 work deserves better press than it gets. Theres a certain inbuilt critical bias against bands and in favour of solo artists when it comes to evaluating careers that last for decades. Its just not seen by many as cool to be part of a 'gang' when you get past the age of 30.
31st August 2006 11:26 AM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

Is he currently Jewish or "Born Again"?

Bjorn Again Chew!
31st August 2006 11:40 AM
glencar The Stones output at the end of the 70's/early 80's is also seen as quite good. Most mention SG as the last great album.
31st August 2006 11:54 AM
UGot2Rollme Dylan pretty much lost me after Infidels. Although he is more a poet than a singer, his voice has not aged well.. whereas Mick's is better than ever and the Stones music still captivates me.

to each his own.
31st August 2006 02:01 PM
gimmekeef Gazza..I musta missed something..didnt you just see the greatest rock & roll band in music..live a week ago?....Carry on........
31st August 2006 02:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Gazza..I musta missed something..didnt you just see the greatest rock & roll band in music..live a week ago?....Carry on........

I've always maintained the E-Street Band were a better live band than the Stones, great though the Stones still are..

Dylan's band is very consistent however - more so than the Stones are. Jagger, though, is still pretty hard to touch as a performer. He's carried the Stones for the last couple of tours IMO.
[Edited by Gazza]
31st August 2006 02:34 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I've always maintained the E-Street Band were a better live band than the Stones, great though the Stones still are..

Dylan's band is very consistent however - more so than the Stones are. Jagger, though, is still pretty hard to touch as a performer. He's carried the Stones for the last couple of tours IMO.
[Edited by Gazza]

upsetting post!!!
31st August 2006 02:38 PM
Gazza It wasnt easy to write!
31st August 2006 02:46 PM
Altamont
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Please ban yourself for a day or two, you have upset jb
31st August 2006 02:49 PM
Gazza jb has told me that he has seen the E-Street Band some 15 times. Which is actually more than I have!
31st August 2006 03:33 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

Better even than the Stones in their prime?
31st August 2006 03:36 PM
gimmekeef I've been lucky to see all the bands that could really kick some ass since 67..... E Steet Included..the only one that ever came close to Stones in their 72/73 prime..The 75/76 Who.Thats more than opinion..I consider it fact...lol
[Edited by gimmekeef]
31st August 2006 05:24 PM
glencar I have yet to see anyone better than the Stones. Ever.
31st August 2006 05:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Better even than the Stones in their prime?

I never saw the Stones prior to 1982 - nor did I see Dylan with the Hawks in 1966 or the Rolling Thunder tour in 1975/76 , and I never saw the Who with Keith Moon- so I can only go by what I've seen with my own eyes.

The best tour I've seen in my time as a concert goer was Springsteen's "River" tour in 1980-81 (he didnt play Europe on the 'Darkness' tour in '78 so I have only boots to go by) - although the Tunnel of Love tour ('88) runs it close

the Stones' best era as a live band was probably 72-73. Maybe had I been at those shows I would say different, but thats another story. Some of the Licks and Voodoo Lounge shows - especially the theatre ones on both tours - would be up there.

However, I've seen the Stones 41 times (more than any other act), have never flown overseas to see anyone else but have gone abroad to the US (4 times), France (4 times), Holland and Germany to see the Stones, so I guess they must have done something right!
[Edited by Gazza]
31st August 2006 08:19 PM
gimmekeef Help me here...isnt Thunder on Mountain....just another Johhny B Goode cover song?
31st August 2006 09:10 PM
double now no It seems to me bob dylan has found comfort in who he is and his songs reflect that. His seventies and eighties stuff is more of him searching for who he is rather than any real musical statement. My problem with Dylan is his live shows, I understand wanting to keep the songs fresh and pushing by doing them a different way every night, but sometimes it just doensn't work and you wish you could hear the record version.

31st August 2006 09:50 PM
Soldatti I've seen Bob with the Stones here, they're legends with an amazing catalog of great songs. Long life to both.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)