ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan-Stones: 3-0 Return to archive Page: 1 2
30th August 2006 11:05 AM
F505 Sorry to say but from the older generation Dylan is the man who sets the tone nowadays.

Let's compare the last three Stones/Dylan-albums and be honest:

Voodoo Lounge - Time out of Mind: 0-1
Bridges to Babylon - Love and Theft: 0-1
A Bigger Bang - Modern Times: 0-1

Maybe it's fair to compare Time with Bridges because they were released on practically the same day. But it doesn't matter. Bridges - Time: 0-1

The times certainly have changed...

30th August 2006 11:21 AM
gustavobala
quote:
F505 wrote:
Sorry to say but from the older generation Dylan is the man who sets the tone nowadays.

Maybe it's fair to compare Time with Bridges because they were released on practically the same day. But it doesn't matter. Bridges - Time: 0-1

is a football game here?

taste is like ass, everyone haver your!!!!!
30th August 2006 11:55 AM
F505
quote:
gustavobala wrote:

is a football game here?

No, if it was football I think the Stones would beat Dylan.
30th August 2006 12:02 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
F505 wrote:
Sorry to say but from the older generation Dylan is the man who sets the tone nowadays.

TOTALLY STUPID POST, AS USUAL
30th August 2006 12:16 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
F505 wrote:

I love the Dylan albums, but they have -- deliberately -- no relevance to contemporary music. For better or worse, the Stones have tried to compete. Comparing the albums, then, is nonsensical.
30th August 2006 01:01 PM
F505
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

TOTALLY STUPID POST, AS USUAL

Hi PERKS, I am still proud to be on your idiot list...
30th August 2006 01:01 PM
glencar Exactly. Apples & oranges.
30th August 2006 01:03 PM
F505
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I love the Dylan albums, but they have -- deliberately -- no relevance to contemporary music. For better or worse, the Stones have tried to compete. Comparing the albums, then, is nonsensical.

Please don't say Stones albums have relevance to contemporary music. Cause they don't have since the early seventies. Except maybe for diehard fans...
30th August 2006 01:05 PM
F505
quote:
glencar wrote:
Exactly. Apples & oranges.

Well I like them both but sometimes the apples are more juicy...
[Edited by F505]
30th August 2006 01:10 PM
Gazza I dont know. I like the last 3 Stones albums very much. Especially the last two, actually. On their own merits theyre fine records. Dylan's last three are IMO superior, but its not important really - its hardly a bad reflection on the Stones, because Dylan's last three albums are superior to the last 3 albums released by ANYONE else as well.

I dont expect guys in their 50's and 60's to still be making terrific albums so when they do, its a bonus. Both artists (like anyone who's created anything notable) are always going to have to compete with their own past. Its great that theyre both still around and making quality music.
30th August 2006 01:24 PM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I dont know. I like the last 3 Stones albums very much. Especially the last two, actually. On their own merits theyre fine records. Dylan's last three are IMO superior, but its not important really - its hardly a bad reflection on the Stones, because Dylan's last three albums are superior to the last 3 albums released by ANYONE else as well.

I dont expect guys in their 50's and 60's to still be making terrific albums so when they do, its a bonus. Both artists (like anyone who's created anything notable) are always going to have to compete with their own past. Its great that theyre both still around and making quality music.

You are right. It isn't important at all. It was my tribute post to Bob but I am sorry for some Stones fans who are so easily offended. And I like A Bigger Bang too: the resurrection of the Stones imo. So I was very surprised Bob could even surpass such an excellent album.
30th August 2006 01:29 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
F505 wrote:

Please don't say Stones albums have relevance to contemporary music. Cause they don't have since the early seventies. Except maybe for diehard fans...

Hey, you were the one who said Dylan "set the tone." That aside, I really believe that if the Stones wanted to make albums as radically retro as the Dylan "trilogy," they could do so in their sleep. Mick refuses, and that's his prerogative -- some would say his folly.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
30th August 2006 01:40 PM
F505
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I really believe that if the Stones wanted to make albums as radically retro as the Dylan "trilogy," they could do so in their sleep. .
[Edited by Mel Belli]

I wish they did!
30th August 2006 01:48 PM
Egbert I'd say that Voodoo Lounge was a stab at retro.
30th August 2006 01:59 PM
Gazza ..it was, and its an album Mick whose merits Mick was very quick to gloss over when it came time to make the next one
30th August 2006 02:01 PM
Some Guy
quote:
gustavobala wrote:

is a football game here?

Dylans up by a field goal late in the game.
30th August 2006 02:04 PM
glencar
quote:
F505 wrote:

You are right. It isn't important at all. It was my tribute post to Bob but I am sorry for some Stones fans who are so easily offended. And I like A Bigger Bang too: the resurrection of the Stones imo. So I was very surprised Bob could even surpass such an excellent album.

I haven't heard all of the new Bob yet. I loved TOOM & liked L&T quite a bit. I think ABB is superior to both. BTB is probably now quite as good as any of those & VL is way down.
[Edited by glencar]
30th August 2006 02:33 PM
Egbert
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Dylans up by a field goal late in the game.

Stones all used up after their halftime show.
30th August 2006 04:05 PM
Factory Girl I think Voodoo Lounge is great. I don't think its inferior to TOOM at all.

Actually, of the last 3 Dylan cds, I like Love & Theft the best, I think.

1. LT

2. TOOM

3. MT
30th August 2006 04:46 PM
glencar VL is half good/half chickenshit...
30th August 2006 04:53 PM
Some Guy I own no Dylan, but that may change.
30th August 2006 04:57 PM
glencar I own plenty. I will buy the new one after rush hour traffic calms down...
30th August 2006 04:59 PM
shakedhandswithkeith
quote:
F505 wrote:

No, if it was football I think the Stones would beat Dylan.

be sure for that, but I agree with your basic post!!

ABB is a real good Jagger/Richard album but they sent Ronnie during the recordings to buy beer or to the bar.

I miss the bandfeeling for a long time.

The last album where I have a bandfeeling was Steel Wheels.

Don`t kill for that!
30th August 2006 05:45 PM
Madafaka You can't compare BD with RS!
30th August 2006 08:21 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Egbert wrote:
I'd say that Voodoo Lounge was a stab at retro.

It was definitely a stab, but a half-hearted stab. That's why all latter-day Stones albums have been so fragmented: They're always some mixture of classic Stones and Jagger-driven nods to the present. Latter-day Dylan is wholly and completely an island unto himself. Does anyone really doubt the Stones couldn't crank out 10 "Fancyman Blues"-type tracks every six months?

I'm not saying Dylan's recent stuff is a bunch of toss-offs; all I'm saying is that he is exclusively mining the past for inspiration. And hat's off to him - and hat's off to the Stones for at least trying to stay somewhat fresh.
30th August 2006 10:38 PM
Soldatti IMO, Voodoo Lounge is so respectable like the last three Bob albums. Except for Sparks Will Fly and Suck On The Jugular.
31st August 2006 09:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels DYLAN ALBUM WOWS CRITICS

BOB DYLAN's first studio album in nearly five years has wowed critics across America, one of whom insists listeners will be "in the presence of greatness" within 30 seconds of hearing it. MODERN TIMES, the follow-up to 2001 release LOVE AND THEFT, has had Rolling Stone magazine falling over itself with praise, claiming the record is the rocker's "third straight masterwork, evenly divided between blues ready-mades, old-timey two-steps and stately marches full of prophecy". Blender magazine believes that "nobody can stop him, and the world is better for it". The 65-year-old icon chronicles the state of society since the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001 "in a sly fox sort of way", according to TOM MOON of National Public Radio. He adds, "Dylan just glances at current events and that's all it takes for him to conjure up the dread of the age." Meanwhile, STEVE JONES of USA Today claims that Dylan displays his "most direct love lyrics, vindictive vendettas, meditations on mortality, pointed political commentary, dry wit, apocalyptic imagery and head-scratching flights of fancy - at times all in the same song".
31/08/2006 12:09
31st August 2006 09:27 AM
jb Nothing Dylan put out is even remotely as good as the Stones worst products...we even beat him in album sales.
31st August 2006 09:37 AM
Gazza and Michael Jackson, Garth Brooks and the Eagles have far oustold the Stones....which proves what?
31st August 2006 09:37 AM
jb see my e-mail
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)