ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Twickenham Rugby Ground, London 20th August - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
21st August 2006 12:56 PM
Gazza Greetings from sweaty London town

Where to begin. Great fucking show. The best of the five I've seen so far (including NYC in January), Ronnie playing as well as I've seen him in years (he absolutely NAILED the solo in 'Sway', causing lots of cynical bastards like myself to turn to each other, raise an eyebrow or two and go "fucking hell!"), another great version of Streets of Love which even T&A (who hates the fucking thing) admitted was excellent, a rip roaring Midnight Rambler and a version of Sympathy which while not topping some of the great versions from decades ago, at least asked them outside for a good argument. IORR was also especially good. Oh, and did I mention Ruby tuesday? With Keith on backing vocals. A glorious version, which was the real lump in throat moment of the night.

We were in the 4th row (me, Meg, T&A, Gearoid (Irelandcalling) in Block A1 and even though it was well over to the side, the view was excellent. Tomorrow night we're in A3, row 5 so it should be incredible. Sound was pretty good where we were, although you could hear it echo from the back of the stadium during the quieter songs and when we moved to the back to watch the b-stage it was pretty ropey and hard to hear the guitars, although the visual excitement of seeing the band up close somewhat made up for it.

Ignore the agenda based garbage from the Daily Mail, the show was pretty much a sell out from what I could see, with only the opportunists and touts outside taking a battering. CindyC and Scott from IORR were with us and they couldnt get anything cut priced before the show that was worth a damn so all this stuff about tickets being given away doesnt really add up. Also, far from being an audience full of pensioners as the above story suggests, there were loads of kids throughout the stadium and going nuts throughout

I dont think the show was cut short due to a curfew, as they were on schedule to finish by 10.30. YCAGWYW was visible as the 1st encore on Charlies plexiglass, so it was a surprise to just get Satisfaction. Personally, I think its because Mick had to save his voice. I noticed him on the b-stage taking a lot of water, and he didnt really go for the high notes too much on Miss You. So, if one song less means we get a show on Tuesday, then I'll live with it. He sure as hell didnt give a half arsed performance, to put it mildly. From where I was, he was firing on all cylinders.

Just when I get jaded and tired seeing stadium shows and vow to stop doing them, the old bastards draw me back in with a performance that reminds me why I've been obsessed with them for almost 30 years.
21st August 2006 12:59 PM
PartyDoll MEG Yeah, all that Gazza said repeated!!

And Tom , you will be singing SOL in Chicago- I guarantee it!!!
21st August 2006 01:06 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Greetings from sweaty London town

Where to begin. Great fucking show. The best of the five I've seen so far (including NYC in January), Ronnie playing as well as I've seen him in years (he absolutely NAILED the solo in 'Sway', causing lots of cynical bastards like myself to turn to each other, raise an eyebrow or two and go "fucking hell!"), another great version of Streets of Love which even T&A (who hates the fucking thing) admitted was excellent, a rip roaring Midnight Rambler and a version of Sympathy which while not topping some of the great versions from decades ago, at least asked them outside for a good argument. IORR was also especially good. Oh, and did I mention Ruby tuesday? With Keith on backing vocals. A glorious version, which was the real lump in throat moment of the night.

We were in the 4th row (me, Meg, T&A, Gearoid (Irelandcalling) in Block A1 and even though it was well over to the side, the view was excellent. Tomorrow night we're in A3, row 5 so it should be incredible. Sound was pretty good where we were, although you could hear it echo from the back of the stadium during the quieter songs and when we moved to the back to watch the b-stage it was pretty ropey and hard to hear the guitars, although the visual excitement of seeing the band up close somewhat made up for it.

Ignore the agenda based garbage from the Daily Mail, the show was pretty much a sell out from what I could see, with only the opportunists and touts outside taking a battering. CindyC and Scott from IORR were with us and they couldnt get anything cut priced before the show that was worth a damn so all this stuff about tickets being given away doesnt really add up. Also, far from being an audience full of pensioners as the above story suggests, there were loads of kids throughout the stadium and going nuts throughout

I dont think the show was cut short due to a curfew, as they were on schedule to finish by 10.30. YCAGWYW was visible as the 1st encore on Charlies plexiglass, so it was a surprise to just get Satisfaction. Personally, I think its because Mick had to save his voice. I noticed him on the b-stage taking a lot of water, and he didnt really go for the high notes too much on Miss You. So, if one song less means we get a show on Tuesday, then I'll live with it. He sure as hell didnt give a half arsed performance, to put it mildly. From where I was, he was firing on all cylinders.

Just when I get jaded and tired seeing stadium shows and vow to stop doing them, the old bastards draw me back in with a performance that reminds me why I've been obsessed with them for almost 30 years.

Glencar? How many? 47,800?
21st August 2006 01:10 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:

Were uppers fille? Where was Gazza? Did Glencar make it?

uppers appeared to be full up to me. Gazza was 5 or so rows in front of me.
21st August 2006 01:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Glencar? How many? 47,800?

never saw Glencar. He was debating whether to go to the show or not, depending on what the rest of his party were doing.

Hopefully, he'll turn up on Tuesday
21st August 2006 01:13 PM
jb Glad you all had fun and the ticket sales were not as bad as reported or as dreaful as NA....even Witchita wide open!!!
21st August 2006 02:18 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:
Glad you all had fun and the ticket sales were not as bad as reported or as dreaful as NA....even Witchita wide open!!!

ticket sales were surely never going to be great in these places when they are returning to the States.
21st August 2006 08:08 PM
lonecrapshooter Gazza - glad you had a great time. It's been a real bore reading all your negativity not only here but on iorr. Hope you change your tune now. Soon it could be all over.
22nd August 2006 10:15 AM
maumau
quote:
lonecrapshooter wrote:
Gazza - glad you had a great time. It's been a real bore reading all your negativity not only here but on iorr. Hope you change your tune now. Soon it could be all over.

of course gazza dont need an advocate but what it seems hard to understand from the point of view both of the "whiners" and the "devoted" is that mixed feeling that gazza put so well in that last sentence. Just when you think you've had enough they baffle you with the unexpected. It can be Shits of love the turn out a great live ballad, or SMU that lights even your fire, it can be Ronnie who does the magic on YCAGWYW as he did in Milan or whatever. This is a band of contradictions and gives, at least to me, both the bad and the good thrill. It's a drug, my drug and I am addicted and always will. Drug is not a whole bad or a whole good thing. It takes you up and down.
22nd August 2006 10:49 AM
ohnonotyouagain Great review Gazza. It sounds like they really turned back time for this one, which is very encouraging. Now I'm waiting for T&A's rave review of Streets Of Love!
22nd August 2006 11:53 AM
Fiji Joe That's great Gazza...glad y'all had a blast...show sounded awesome...you deserve it...you damn sure deserve it
22nd August 2006 01:49 PM
Scarred ole slaver I have yet to see a single press reveiw, are they all asleep? Can anyone tell me where I might see what the tired old hacks are writing?
22nd August 2006 02:06 PM
jb http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-08-22T172417Z_01_N22227367_RTRUKOC_0_US-STONES.xml&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage2
22nd August 2006 05:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Scarred ole slaver wrote:
I have yet to see a single press reveiw, are they all asleep? Can anyone tell me where I might see what the tired old hacks are writing?

have you read the internet rumors about the Glasgow show being "IN DANGER"?
23rd August 2006 05:20 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

See Gazza? Glad to say I told you so

Really great review, thanks a lot. Happy you had such a goods time. I'm incredibly jealous of you guys who made the Twickenham shows, amazing nights in a row!
23rd August 2006 05:37 AM
Zeeta It really was a superb gig.

We turned up late, got lost and didn't make it to the Cabbage Patch! Bollocks!

Had a quick chat with Gazza who informed me I had a "Ee bah gum" accent!!! LOL! Also met MEG and I think T&A!?

Jumping Jack Flash was BIG there was a huge sound and they all seemed on fire!
Sway was okay but it was kind of a reggae version?!? Ronnie played a good solo though and he was turned up high in the mix.

Tumbling Dice and Rambler were awesome, Keith seemed to fall asleep in some parts, but carried it off.

I went for a piss during Night Time!

Keef's set was excellent - really rated Slipping Away and Before they Make me Run was its usual shambolic glorious mess!
Miss You was horrible - they should have done something else...maybe Paint it Black?

B Stage fuckin ROCKED! I caught a plectrum - think it was Ronnie's ?!? Anyone know what his say on them?
Rough Justice was raw as fuck and HTW was superb - it's great not to hear Chuck too loud in the mix this year!
Get offa my Cloud - Keith just fell asleep and no-one was playing the fucking chords, but Mick's vocal held the song together.
The highlight for me was the next 2 songs:

16 sympathy for the devil
17 it's only rock n roll

Excellent - I haven't heard a version of IORR as raw and as together as this EVER! I was just singing and dancin all the way through = awesome!

Anyway, anyone going to see them for the rest of the tour: let's hope they can keep this up! You guys are in for a real treat!

A million times better than when I last saw them at Manchester MEN on Licks tour, my only regret is not getting to the Cabbage Patch to see the ROers! Maybe next time lol!
23rd August 2006 03:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
lonecrapshooter wrote:
Gazza - glad you had a great time. It's been a real bore reading all your negativity not only here but on iorr. Hope you change your tune now. Soon it could be all over.

for someone so bored, you seem to read me a lot - although obviously not with both eyes open.

For the record, Ive never slagged off the Stones performances and their ability to entertain. You're welcome to find one post anywhere where I have. However, its no surprise to find another twit so blinded by the light that they cant see the difference between balanced criticism on some issues and sweeping generalisations of 'negativity' from anyone who doesnt slobber over absolutely everything the band choose to do.

Doesnt really "change my tune" that I think this tour has generally been a missed opportunity from a creative standpoint and that theyve treated their fanbase very shabbily throughout.. however, I'm honest enough to call it as I see it - great, good, bad or indifferent.

Some of the shows Ive seen have been good, some have been very good - the Twickenham show on Sunday however was superb, so I'm very happy to give credit where its due. If I was as negative as you seem to think, I wouldnt have bought tickets for 7 shows in 5 different countries.

If and when "its all over", I'll live with it my way. If you want to be held to ransom with that 'threat' of not seeing any more shows, thats your problem. I dont do blind idolatry for anyone regardless of whether theyre at the start of their career or in the twilight of it - sorry.

[Edited by Gazza]
23rd August 2006 05:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
ohnonotyouagain wrote:
Great review Gazza. It sounds like they really turned back time for this one, which is very encouraging. Now I'm waiting for T&A's rave review of Streets Of Love!

The fucker enjoyed it. Dont let him try and tell you otherwise!
23rd August 2006 10:33 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

never saw Glencar. He was debating whether to go to the show or not, depending on what the rest of his party were doing.

Hopefully, he'll turn up on Tuesday

I made the first show after all, Gazza. I didn't like it nearly as much as you but I had only a solo ticket as my group of 4 couldn't get anything better tahn singles. Although Tuesday's show was zounds better, I saw more empty seats which figures since it was a weeknight. I love Twicks & I even bought a tee shirt this time.
23rd August 2006 10:34 PM
Gazza Cool. Glad you got there OK. We were sorry we missed you.
24th August 2006 01:42 AM
speedfreakjive can anyone tell me how to post a photo, not from an internet location?
24th August 2006 02:02 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
can anyone tell me how to post a photo, not from an internet location?

1. First save photo on your computer.
2. Open an account at photobucket.com (it is free)
3. Upload your photos to photobucket
4. To post,copy the link(best to open the photo and right click on it to go to properties and copy address). Then paste to your post using code on either side of address with no spaces. Example: [img]"the image address"[/img]. If that doesn't work PM me and I'll try to get you through it the first time-lol.

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
24th August 2006 02:06 AM
speedfreakjive [quote]PartyDoll MEG wrote:
1. First save photo on your computer.
2. Open an account at photobucket.com (it is free)
3. Upload your photos to photobucket
4. To post,copy the link(best to open the photo and right click on it to go to properties and copy address). Then paste to your post using code on either side of address with no spaces. Example: [img]"the image address"[/img]. If that doesn't work PM me and I'll try to get you through it the first time-lol.

Well, i tried doing the same with an account at Kodak.com, and i had a similar cross laden problem as above, so i dunno

[Edited by speedfreakjive]
24th August 2006 10:32 AM
Gazza
(L to R) Rolling Stones guitarists Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards perform together with vocalist Mick Jagger and drummer Charlie Watts during a concert of the band's "A Bigger Bang" European Tour at the Twickenham stadium in west London August 20, 2006. REUTERS/Leon Neal

Stones bringing it all back home in London

By Lars Brandle

LONDON (Billboard) - Long gone are the days when the Rolling Stones courted controversy with their sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll antics. Nowadays, the health of the surviving band members is more often the hot talking point.

The first signs were there when drummer Charlie Watts was diagnosed in 2004 with cancer of the throat, a disease which he has apparently defeated. Then came guitarist Keith Richards' bizarre head injury, sustained earlier this year when he reportedly fell from a tree in Fiji. Richards, as befits his reputation, made a remarkable recovery.

With the start of their European tour accordingly delayed by six weeks, fellow guitarist Ron Wood entered rehab to deal with his alcoholism.

The latest health complaint to dog the band, a throat concern for frontman Mick Jagger, caused the band to pull dates in Spain in past week. But on Sunday night here in London, Jagger was in full voice, with the band reliable as ever.

The biggest show around rolled into town -- Jagger, Richards, Watts, Wood and co., collectively back on home turf for the opening UK night of the behemoth "A Bigger Bang" tour. "It's funny. You go around the world 10 times and end up where you started, in Twickenham, Richmond," Jagger, a "local", told the crowd at Twickenham Stadium.

The rock titans certainly made themselves feel at home, cranking out a slew of hits from their illustrious recording career. From the opening track "Jumpin' Jack Flash", and its follow-up, "Start Me Up", it was obvious that the band members certainly weren't slowing down. Richards, introduced by Jagger to the audience as "chief headbanger", was all-smiles from the first chord. The age lines are there to see on their faces, but the Stones' years certainly haven't been spent eating. Their bodies are all-sinew and muscle -- Jagger's biceps looking particularly ripped. These Rolling Stones gather no fat.

On numerous occasions, the Stones exposed a wealth of riches with respect to their catalogue. "Ruby Tuesday", "Sympathy For the Devil", "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)", "Brown Sugar", and the encore "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" were on offer. At one point, a riser on which the band and backing musicians were huddled, disengaged from the stage and travelled towards the front of house. Who needs a catwalk? A mini-set which included "Miss You," "Get Off Of My Cloud and "Honky Tonk Women" ensued.

Twickenham, whose stadium is the home of English rugby, hosted Sunday night's concert by default. A performance on such grand a scale would usually be expected to play out at the reconstructed Wembley Stadium, but a series of set-backs has meant the latter venue is no-where near completion. "I think they're going to get Wembley ready for the farewell tour of the Artic Monkeys," Jagger quipped.

By the numbers, the tour is looming to be the biggest-ever. Prior to Sunday night, "A Bigger Bang" reported $256.08 million in grosses from 72 shows in US arenas and international stadiums. They were scheduled to play another show Tuesday, before heading to Glasgow, Sheffield and Cardiff.

Perhaps surprisingly, a number of the "cheap seats" were noticeably empty, but then again tickets did cost upwards of $310 (165 pounds) each (including fees).

The band's power to pull rock royalty, and beyond, remains undimmed. Australia's former Wimbledon tennis act Pat Cash was one of the faces in the crowd. "It's a really good show. It's pretty astounding that they are still there," Duran Duran keyboardist Nick Rhodes told Billboard.com after he caught the band in Nice, France. "The place was packed and it was fun to see."

And packed Twickenham Stadium was too. It might only be rock and roll, but the Stones showed again that they still like it.

Reuters/Billboard

(c) Reuters 2006

www.scotsman.com
[Edited by Gazza]
24th August 2006 10:34 AM
glencar According to yesterday's NY Post, Ronnie's wild party the other night featured him getting down with nitrous oxide.
24th August 2006 06:10 PM
PartyDoll MEG A couple of Photos from Sunday's Cabbage Patch get together.

"Where is everybody?"

Gazza,Honky Tonk Man, Rogerriffin

Gazza, PartyDoll MEG, Stonesdoug

Bitch gives Gazza RO Banner. Ireland Calling beside Bitch. Notice numerous empty glasses

24th August 2006 06:48 PM
Gazza wow..that was fast! Nice - keep 'em coming.
24th August 2006 08:27 PM
PartyDoll MEG Will post all Cabbage Patch photos in the Cabbage Patch Sticky...So we can keep the show photos here.
25th August 2006 04:38 AM
Zeeta 1 pic and a video of a paltry Mexican wave pre show!

Oh and did I say we were sat next to Pat Cash and his Mrs? He looked a bit flustered as if he thought he was going to be in the VIP area not in with the plebs! You should have seen his face when it started raining! LOL!

The video - not sure how to post directly in so here's a link:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/motty123/?action=view¤t=MexicanWave.flv

[Edited by Zeeta]
25th August 2006 01:25 PM
rogerriffin Pleased to meet you cabrones!!!

Was great meet you, Party Doll (one love), stonesdoug, etc etc, was fantastic, hope in the Farewell Arctic Monkeys Tour you can came to Mexico!!!

Gazza tell to Voodoo if i gave you his salutes, please...
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)