ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Specials? (nsc) Return to archive
September 3rd, 2005 11:34 AM
caro Some time ago, I heard "Ghost Town" for the first time & was deeply impressed. For some strange reason, I didn't know the Specials at all. So, to fill this blatant hole in my musical knowledge, I'd be grateful if someone could tell me which of their albums I should buy to start with. I'd much rather trust a ROffer's exquisite musical tastes than download random MP3's...
(Of course, any ramblings about the band, their musical, social & philosophical impact, their links to the Stones, and whether (if one really had to chose) they should be classified as rock or as rock'n'roll -- are welcome!)
September 3rd, 2005 11:44 AM
Mack Jigger I have a Best Of cd from The Specials and several boots. Whatever album you're gonna buy make sure the following tracks are on it:

Too Much Too Young (the biggest hit)
A Message To You Rudy
Rat Race and
Little Bitch (has a Stones guitar riff in the chorus!)

Enjoy

[Edited by Mack Jigger]
September 3rd, 2005 12:02 PM
FPM C10 I think those are all on the first one, which is the one you need to have. It also has their version of Toots and the Maytals' "Monkey Man". I think it's called "AKA Specials" or just "Specials". Black & white checkerboard cover.

I love that album a lot. That and the first English Beat album were really popular with my crowd back in the day.

My old band, Friction, which is getting ready to celebrate our 25th anniversary, used to play "Nite Klub" and "Up To You". (In fact those will be some of the only covers we play at our reunion next month.) We glommed onto that whole British Ska thing about 1980 and incorporated it into what we were doing. The Specials were on SNL around that time, doing "Gangsters", and they were hilarious - 9 or 10 guys all crammed into the camera shot, all leaping about and skanking.

Their second album, as I recall, was somewhat of a let-down, and then they morphed into Fun Boy Three which totally lost me. I think "Ghost Town" might be their last single. It's a really good song which I seem to recall was recorded for some sort of Famine Relief fund.

Yeah, The Specials rocked steady.
September 3rd, 2005 12:20 PM
Paranoid_Android The first two are great SPECIALS and MORE SPECIALS...also the Ghost town EP...also check out the rare DANCE CRAZE Live CD...a great sound track to the BEST SKA EVER

WARNING WARNING!!! NUCLEAR ATTACK!!!

KNOCK'M DEAD JB!!!
September 3rd, 2005 01:27 PM
Mack Jigger Jagger about The Specials:

"I like The Specials, but not their album"

Oor Magazine 1980
September 3rd, 2005 02:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot You may want to download the "Free Nelson Mandela" single. Don't bother with the album because it's lame. That song is real nice though.

I haven't listened to that first Specials album in a while. Think I'll do that right now.

The Specials
1980 Chrysalis Records
Produced by Elvis Costello

1. A Message To You Rudy
2. Do The Dog
3. It's Up To You
4. Nite Klub
5. Doesn't Make It Alright
6. Concrete Jungle
7. Too Hot
8. Monkey Man
9. (Dawning Of A)New Era
10.Blank Expression
11.Stupid Marraige
12.Too Much Too Young
13.Gangsters
14.Little Bitch
15.You're Wondering Now

This is the one to get. It's magically skanklicious!
September 3rd, 2005 02:57 PM
pdog A Very cool band. Can I suggest listening to Stiff Little Fingers first two records?
So much cool stuff from back in the late 70's...
September 3rd, 2005 03:06 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote: check out the rare DANCE CRAZE Live CD...a great sound track to the BEST SKA EVER

I heartily agree. . . if you want a first class education on ska find yourself a copy of Dance Craze!
September 3rd, 2005 03:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You may want to download the "Free Nelson Mandela" single. Don't bother with the album because it's lame. That song is real nice though.

slightly different band. That was "The Specials AKA". The original band fell apart after a couple of albums when 3 of them formed the Fun Boy Three.

Another thumbs up for the Specials first album. Theres also a good compilation called "Too Much Too Young" which covers most of the essential Two-Tone stuff

"Ghost Town" was, I think, the original line up's final single. It was THE soundtrack to Britain in summer 1981 as it topped the charts just as 3 of the major cities were being torn apart by riots
September 3rd, 2005 11:48 PM
exile Yes a great album...one of the first vinyls I ever bought

It was the specials (group photo with b + w checkers)

"Message To You Rudy" was also my favourite
"GhostTown" was most recently used in the movie 'Snatch'

September 4th, 2005 06:36 AM
Mack Jigger For more Specials check this out!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=57684
September 4th, 2005 06:57 AM
caro Cool, looks like there's little doubt about which album I should buy! Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't know about Ghost Town's connection to the riots in Britain, I had only heard that it was written after visiting Glasgow and seeing the city plagued by poverty and unemployment... BTW I googled & found a cool link about the song, if anyone's interested :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,743629,00.html
September 4th, 2005 09:48 AM
Gazza You may be right about it being written about Glasgow, I dont know, although the band the themselves were from Coventry, I think

It wasnt actually written ABOUT the riots (which happened in London, Birmingham & Liverpool in the space of about 3 weeks in summer '81) but it was released (coincidentally) around the same time.

They were indeed a fine band!
September 4th, 2005 06:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot They were very cool...wrote one of the coolest lines ever:

Why must you record my phone calls?
Are you planning a bootleg of me?

Fucking great stuff.
September 4th, 2005 06:58 PM
72Tele Keith was a big fan of the Specials. I remember reading in Cream Magazine in the early 80's that Keith said he wanted to produce their next record. Of course it never happened like a thousand other things you read about in those great magazines. Well one thing is for sure The Specials were the best SKA band of all time. As long as you are digging around in the era pick up Ian Dury and the Block heads, New Boots and Panties record.Its not SKA but it is Great stuff from the same label and era!
September 4th, 2005 08:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hit me with your rythmn stick...Hit me! Hit me!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)